PDA

View Full Version : possible solution to pixel shading problem for mx cards..

zoomba
5th Dec 2003, 07:23
http://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?http://www.tommti-systems.de/main-Dateien/files.html

the screenshot links to the software called 3danalyze.. those who have cards that cant emulate pixel shading u can check the option labelled 'emulate pixel shader caps' and try running. the problem i encounter now is that it crashes to desktop while loading the menu.. but at least i got further than i originally did. what i want to know is if anyone, using this software, is able to get further than the menu loading screen. thx.

King Kull
5th Dec 2003, 08:14
I got to the same point as you did with the 3danalyzer....no such luck...i dont understand how eidos can shoot itself in the foot by not trying to provide as great a range of capability as they possibly can....it just boggles the mind....

zoomba
5th Dec 2003, 08:19
they effectively cut out a portion of thier consumer base, no matter how small or large we are. i think we can survive without some of these visual goodies.. but there isnt even an option to turn it off..

Pupples
5th Dec 2003, 08:25
I bought a new computer six months ago (Pentium 4/Windows XP) and this game doesn't work with my video card. Unbelievable. I don't know if I should be annoyed with Hewlitt Packard for giving me a crappy graphics card or with Eidos for putting out a game that I can't play on a six month old computer. :mad:

King Kull
5th Dec 2003, 08:36
its definately eidos that you should be upset with...they are the ones that are not supporting the card that you machine has...i just came across a little piece of info...please correct if i am wrong but a small list of cards that do not support pixel shading capabilities are as follows:

GeForce (256) SDR
GeForce (256) DDR
GeForce (256) Ultra
GeForce (256) Quadro
GeForce2 MX
GeForce2 MX 200
GeForce2 MX 400
GeForce2 Go 100
GeForce2 Go 200
GeForce2 Go Quadro2 MXR / EX / Go
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce2 Pro
GeForce2 Ti
GeForce2 Ultra
GeForce2 GL Quadro2 Pro
GeForce4 MX 420
GeForce4 MX 420 -8x
GeForce4 MX 440
GeForce4 MX 440 SE
GeForce4 MX 440 -8x
GeForce4 MX 440SE -8x
GeForce4 MX 460
GeForce4 410 Go
GeForce4 420 Go
GeForce4 420 Go 32M
GeForce4 440 Go 64M
GeForce4 Quadro 200/400
GeForce4 Quadro 500XGL
GeForce4 Quadro 550XGL
nForce 220
nForce 420
nForce2
Radeon 7500
All in Wonder Radeon 7500
Mobility Radeon 7500
Mobility Radeon 7500 GL
Radeon 7200
Radeon 64 DDR
Radeon 32 DDR
Radeon LE
Radeon 7200
All in Wonder Radeon

let me know if the list is correct....

Pupples
5th Dec 2003, 08:45
Originally posted by King Kull
i...please correct if i am wrong but a small list of cards that do not support pixel shading capabilities are as follows:

Sheesh! That's some "small" list. How does anyone play this game? :(

KR_Dragon
5th Dec 2003, 08:53
nforce is a chipset, not a GPU

KR_Dragon
5th Dec 2003, 08:55
GeForce (256) SDR
GeForce (256) DDR
GeForce (256) Ultra
GeForce (256) Quadro
GeForce2 MX
GeForce2 MX 200
GeForce2 MX 400
GeForce2 Go 100
GeForce2 Go 200
GeForce2 Go Quadro2 MXR / EX / Go
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce2 Pro
GeForce2 Ti
GeForce2 Ultra
GeForce2 GL Quadro2 Pro

These cards are really old dude, of course they arent going to work... Most games wont perform well if these cards are equipped...

PS: You forgot to mention the other 15 ATI cards that dont support Onboard Pixel Shaders.

nightspore
5th Dec 2003, 14:00
...and how could you forget 3dfx Voodoo 3, 4 & 5:confused:

zanetheinsane
10th Dec 2003, 01:28
Originally posted by KR_Dragon
GeForce2 Pro

These cards are really old dude, of course they arent going to work... Most games wont perform well if these cards are equipped...

Hey! My G2 Pro is a hoss! :D

While I'm not going to deny that I need a new video card, this things been putting out good frame rates on recent games. It handled Hitman2 (which has very high detail textures) and Jedi Academy (which abused the Q3 engine with obscenely large open levels).

Isn't Deus Ex 2 using a modified UT2k3 engine? (correct this if its wrong please I really don't know) If I can get very playable framerates in 2k3 (albeit not the prettiest), surely they could have at least tried. At least *tried* Let the people with bad cards wallow in their crappy graphics, but at least let them play, eh?

I'm not complaining though, it really is my fault for having such an old video card. In my defense, my Geforce4 (not MX) fried and I've been holding off buying a new card :rolleyes:

Jock
10th Dec 2003, 02:02
Also keep in mind, they are moving away from old cards. Do you really want a game made for 4-2 year old cards? If someone refuses to upgrage and throws a hissy fit, so be it. The rest of us like it better. Keep in mind, i almost got caught in the MX thing, I thought, inder $200? I want one! But PC gamer sent out a warning that they were geforce 2's relabed and faster. They have not that much in the way of new features (pixle shading).

2jays
10th Dec 2003, 18:03
Just getting back to the point of this Tread!!!

I hate to say it, but I believe that if a game or any piece of software for that matter, speciffically mentions something like "Pixel Shading v1.1" (This being a hardware function of a video card), you're not going to find some simple software emulater to get around the problem. Anyone not using a card that supports this, will have to buy a new card to play the game.

Jay