PDA

View Full Version : Im confused [or just dumb]

Greasel
4th Dec 2003, 21:40
I just purchased DE2, loaded it, watched the beautiful intro scene, [& Thief3 trailer too].

I set up my char & dif, started playing.... I see my health meter in upper left corner, compass in the upper center, & I have a reticle, but thats it....the rest of the screen is black. I can sense movement [compass confirms this], was able to activate holocom unit & receive orders from Leila.

Why is the screen black, is it a tech issue or am I just being a stupid gamer not doing the obvios that needs to be done?

[I'll take a spoiler to get game started, please].

Sytem Specs:
P4, 2.6
512mb ram
XP
G4 4200 128 mb ti

thursday
4th Dec 2003, 22:01
Same problem for me in the demo, but I fixed it. Go into video options in the main menu and turn of blooming. It should help. :)

EsnRedshirt
4th Dec 2003, 22:23
Greasel, it sounds like you have older video card drivers. Try updating your graphic card's drivers to the latest version and see if that helps. :)

Greasel
4th Dec 2003, 22:46
Thank you both for helping this anxiety ridden gamer.
I'll try turning off "blooming " under video options [whats this for?]

Re; GPU drivers, I have a little reservation as there are numerous ones available, some of which may cause other games to have glitches?? I guess this is to be expected in the PC world, lol.

[My kids are making fun of me now..."we told you you should have bought the Xbox version.."]

btw, I just dowloaded latest DX9..no difference.

I'll return to post on progress w/above implementations.

Greasel
4th Dec 2003, 23:13
No luck w/blooming toggle.

Im going to assume @ this point its a tech issue, not a failure on my inability to play ....so I'll head back over to tech forum to see if I can sift through the numerous postings to find similar problem....

Im dying to play this game:(

EsnRedshirt
4th Dec 2003, 23:16
Depending on what graphics card you have (Nvidia, ATI, etc), you should go to that card manufacturer's website to get the drivers. That way you can be absolutely certain you're getting the right ones.

Greasel
5th Dec 2003, 00:33
Thank you all...turns out to be driver issue [;) EsnRedshirt].

Being a typical gaming bratt, having the game up & running isnt enough, time to whine about frame rates. I ended up turning res down to minimum to make it playable.
Im am surprised on frame rate issues, after all, my system is upper end [P4 2.6, 512ram, G4128mb ti]. Maybe a 256 GPU would help?

FireFiend
5th Dec 2003, 00:37
If you have that kind of rig, I'd start to wonder if you have 4x anti aliasing turned on.

EngineerSean
5th Dec 2003, 01:45
Also, check to make sure your hard drive had a decent amount of space on it and has been recently defragged. Make sure you don't have unneccessary applications running in the background also (I got burned by the Mersenne Prime number program running).

Greasel
5th Dec 2003, 01:50
Originally posted by FireFiend
If you have that kind of rig, I'd start to wonder if you have 4x anti aliasing turned on.

Good thought, I can tell you my "AA" in game is set to 1x.
But will turning this up improve my frame rate?
Thanks!

FireFiend
5th Dec 2003, 01:52
No, actually the opposite. The way it was explalined to me Anti-aliasing blends the textures better, makes it look more smooth. If you were running it on 4x anti aliasing you'd be expecting the type of performance your're getting now.. leave it at 1x.

nightspore
5th Dec 2003, 02:21
Originally posted by Greasel
Good thought, I can tell you my "AA" in game is set to 1x.
But will turning this up improve my frame rate?
Thanks!

Do you have AA or Aniso turned on in the Direct3D tab in the driver settings control panel? That might also explain your subpar performance.

Cerpin Taxt
5th Dec 2003, 05:41
Try turning shadows & lighting down a notch too, that could help. Something that somewhat improved my performance was increasing the MBs for caching in the default.ini... it's set at ONE MB... I set it up to 32, and the game ran much smoother, much closer to DX1 in terms of FPS.

Greasel
5th Dec 2003, 15:52
Originally posted by nightspore
Do you have AA or Aniso turned on in the Direct3D tab in the driver settings control panel? That might also explain your subpar performance.

I'll search for this:confused:

nightspore
5th Dec 2003, 17:37
Originally posted by Greasel
I'll search for this:confused:

It's easy to find; just right-click on your desktop, click the 'properties' tab, settings & then the advanced button. It's been a while since I've used the detonators, but somewhere there should either be a D3D tab or an anti-aliasing tab. I also don't remember if the dets support aniso filtering in D3D without a registry hack (but that may be old news & have changed in recent driver versions), so if you can't find it I wouldn't worry about it.