PDA

View Full Version : XBOX - Repeated Game Crashes To Dashboard After Save

spectecjr
4th Dec 2003, 04:17
In the Tarsus Recreation, I saved near the stairs after sneaking past the Order. Now the game repeatedly crashes back to the XBOX Dashboard if I save or if I try to use the elevator after speaking to Billie.

HELP! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?

XBOX games can't be patched - especially if they don't support Live.

My fiancee waited THREE YEARS for this game. She's just about ready to explode in a nasty mess all over the lounge. Or cry.

HKRaven
4th Dec 2003, 10:46
Hrmm... The XBOX comes with 3 different DVDs in it(might be getting the names wrong seens im writing from memory)

Thomson: Sucks ass. They put this in when they lowered the price. This is like those crappy 90USD DVDs that run for 6months then breaks. The DVD "tray" has a hole that is U shaped

Philips: Standard DVD. Cant remember what this one looks like though :(

Samsung: Best one. Is U shaped like the Thomson one but also has 2 holes in the front. This one is supposed to be in all new XBOX's that's been *Manufactured* in '03. Keep in mind though that some stores got old XBOX's still for sale :(

If you got the Thomson DVD some games will run like crap(Morrowind to mention one). If you got the Samsung one then it's something wrong with the game :(

spectecjr
4th Dec 2003, 19:52
Well, I've got a Thomson, but all other games work fine (and I've had hundreds of them; I trade in my old games and buy new ones every couple of weeks) - including Morrowind (which had game-save bugs, but no problem loading data).

I don't think it's a CD reading issue; I don't hear it seeking either, and issues with reading give you a "Dirty Disk" error.

This is literally the first game I've ever seen that crashes back to the dashboard - which makes me think that the game itself is crashing.

Jumpin_Jebus
4th Dec 2003, 20:00
I've gotten a few calls on this, and it seems to be a defective disk issue. Try swapping the disk out for another copy. Or, if you have access to another XBOX, try loading on it, to see if it gives the same error. If you find these problems persist, let me know.

excessiveidling
5th Dec 2003, 20:38
Just bought the game from ebgames today. So far a pretty good game. I noticed however...I'll be trying to load the wto air terminal (after having looted the penthouse I beleive) and right after its done loading....boots me right to the dashboard. I know I have a thompson drive...but...it DOES appear to be loading properly. (haven't had any issues with other cds...yet). I'd exchange it today however snow storms stink.

EI

spectecjr
5th Dec 2003, 22:29
Originally posted by excessiveidling
Just bought the game from ebgames today. So far a pretty good game. I noticed however...I'll be trying to load the wto air terminal (after having looted the penthouse I beleive) and right after its done loading....boots me right to the dashboard. I know I have a thompson drive...but...it DOES appear to be loading properly. (haven't had any issues with other cds...yet). I'd exchange it today however snow storms stink.

EI

You think snowstorms are bad? Ouch. I've not had power for over 35 hours now... which makes playing DX2 a bit difficult :)

spectecjr
5th Dec 2003, 22:30
Originally posted by Jumpin_Jebus
I've gotten a few calls on this, and it seems to be a defective disk issue. Try swapping the disk out for another copy. Or, if you have access to another XBOX, try loading on it, to see if it gives the same error. If you find these problems persist, let me know.

I don't think it's a defective disk, because having tried again, if I don't save, it works fine. Dirty Disk error messages (standard, part of the XBOX firmware), don't appear. And games that have trouble loading don't crash to the dashboard; that means that the executable has faulted.

It's a bug.

a3th3r
5th Dec 2003, 22:43
I had the exact same problem as spectecjr, where the game would crash to the dashboard when attempting to use the elevator. I was able to get past it by loading an earlier game and trying a different series of events (killing the guards).

Unfortunately, I'm now up to the point with Sophie Sak, and no matter what I do to her (kill, bribe), I get the dashboard error immediately afterward. Looks like I'm going to have to exchange for a new disc.

Spectecjr, I noticed that you are also from the Seattle area. Perhaps we got a bad batch of discs. Mine came from the EBgames in Northgate.

excessiveidling
6th Dec 2003, 02:58
Well I braved the snow and managed to exchange it...........same problem...so I guess I'll start from scratch and see if that will fix it. It's a shame though..I got a console so I wouldn't have to deal with these issues (as much...that is...bugs and crap) Ahhhh well..hopefully something can be fixed.

EI

p.s. explained to my local ebgames the differences in cd drives in the xbox as they did not know heh.

Ninja Lawyer
19th Dec 2003, 23:16
I have a similir problem. Did exchanging the disc fix it for you? I tried that but still ran into the same problem. But hey, maybe I'm just really unlucky.

Ninja Lawyer
20th Dec 2003, 20:59
I fixed my problem. I had to copy my saves to a memory card and then delete the entire deus ex section from the dashboard menu. Then I copied my saves back to the Xbox harddrive and everything started working perfectly for me. Apparently all you need to do is delete the games harddrive cache.

Hope you have a memory card:D