PDA

View Full Version : No 3D positional audio. Just stereo!

Zem
4th Dec 2003, 04:15
Problem:

I only get stereo sound. When the game is loading, the logo screens have noticeable surround effects, but once into the game I do not hear anything from the rear speakers.

Example:

Just after starting a new game, there is a robot cleaner out in the hallway. It makes a nice continuous noise, so I walked up to it and spun around while it passed me by. The sound clearly pans from left to right and back, but not to the rear speakers. When the cleaner bot is directly behind me, I hear the sound coming from directly in front of me.

System:

Athlon 2800+
Asus A7N8X motherboard with Soundstorm 5.1 set to Dolby Digital 5.1 output and 6 speaker mode.
nForce2 3.13 driver package (contains audio driver 3.66)
DirectX 9.0b

I can hear sound from each speaker in this setup individually during the sound control panel speaker test, so positional audio is definitely working. I also have other games like Halo on this PC that can pan audio 360 degrees around with no problems.

edit: I just ran through the intro to the game again and noticed that the intro movie also DOES have 3D sound in it. I can hear the helicopter zoom past and behind me, for instance. Yet the dynamic game sounds are still only in stereo.

Ampulator00
4th Dec 2003, 09:42
I think there's an option in an ini file. You have to edit somewhere. Sorry, can't you on that. :(

JFK
4th Dec 2003, 11:51
Seems like they have done a less than good way of enabling the surround system. But here goes. In your Deus: IW directory there is a file called Default.ini. Scroll down untill you find this passage:

[Audio.GenericAudioSubsystem]
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=TRUE
UseStereo=True
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=False
UseSpatial=False
UseReverb=False
Use3dHardware=TRUE
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=40
OutputRate=22050Hz
Channels=16
MusicVolume=160
SoundVolume=200
AmbientFactor=0.7

Reckon it should be enough to change the "UseSurround" switch from "False" to "True" take it you should enable hardware support aswell. Hope this help a little.

Zem
4th Dec 2003, 15:14
JFK, I'll give that a try, but I've been through the default.ini file and it looks like the game is using the ALAudioDriver not the GenericAudioSubsystem driver, so I wouldn't think the settings in that section would apply... but I'll try anything once. I've already tried adding some statements like Use3DSound=True to the ALAudioDriver section and got no results. I Googled for some Unreal examples to see if they'd left out some settings like that. No luck.

Right now though, I'll settle for solid confirmation that this game even HAS 3D positional audio other than in the pre-recorded cinematics. i.e. Is there an ambient sound that you can positively hear from a rear speaker (and ONLY a rear speaker) when you turn your back on it?

jsage
4th Dec 2003, 23:04
I spent 2 hours messing with default .ini settings and couldn't get it to kick out 4 channel surround. Audigy 2...

Can anyone confirm that the game support 4 channel positional audio?

Sage

Danik
5th Dec 2003, 02:20
I have an Audigy X-Gamer and all you have to do is tweak the settings in the .ini file that the person above posted. The only issue I have is a popping noise that occurs once every 20 or so minutes in one game session, or not at all. Not entirely sure why it happens, but I'm sure it is a bug in the game.

Zem
5th Dec 2003, 06:41
Okay, it turns out to be a driver issue for nForce2 Soundstorm audio users. The latest released audio driver is 3.66. I needed 3.75 beta. Here's the thread from the Ion Storm boards where someone finally clued me into this...

3D Sound (http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=206360)

It had nothing to do with .ini file settings. Go figure.

jsage
5th Dec 2003, 18:31
I have an audigy 2. Analog output. I've tried both the original, CD drivers and the newest, 11/19 driver from creative labs. No joy. I have stereo sound output through 4 speakers. No problems with Audigy tests or any other games. They do 4 channel audio fine. I've messed with all of the ini settings, but with no luck.

This and the other problems (blink to desktop on load), questionable game play etc... is really taking the fun out of the game for me. I'm usually not a griper, but when the game designers brag, and then can't deliver, it makes me pissy. I've loved just about everything warren spector has had his name on from UU on... but this just stinks.

I did see a confirmation that positional audio CAN work on another board, but no more i nfo.

Teddy
6th Dec 2003, 03:04
In addition to fixing the numerous other problems that I and apparently a great number of the rest of my fellow game players are having with getting smooth gameplay (poor performance, crashing, etc), I think that the sound menu needs to be beefed up. For instance 3D Hardware sound support should be an option in the menu, in addition to surround support, output rate, channels, and the like. And we shouldn't have to change an ini file directly to make things work.
Hopefuly a few decent patches can bring everything up to par.

JFK
6th Dec 2003, 23:16
Sorry for the delay. Ah yes Zem, figured I would just show the generic not the rest of the ini file. My bad :P Glad you made it work. But the ini file is the key to most of the performance issues brought up on the board. I have been looking alittle on the forums and after a few changes in the ini file and some graphic driver issues i run it on 1600x1200 6xAA without any problems.

Jong
8th Dec 2003, 10:22
The problem of stereo sound only on IW on all but 'Xbox style' set ups seems to continue with no confirmation from IS/Eidos if this is:
- by design
- a current limitation fixable by a patch
- a configuration problem on people's PCs (and/or fixable by .ini modifications)

Can someone in the know please give us a definitive statement.

- Which sound cards are capable of producing 5.1 channel sound?
- Are analog speakers supported or only speakers connected to a separate Dolby Digital decoder?

Specifically is the Audigy range, which so many high end gamers have, supported with speakers connected to the Audigy's analogue ports (again, as on most PCs).

I am posting to this thread rather than start a new one in the hope it gets noticed. If not I will open a new thread. This really needs answering guys!

Jong
30th Dec 2003, 12:24
This problem has finally been fixed by the community (with no help from IS/Eidos I might add).

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=207499&hl=

There are warnings of potential occasional performance glitches but with my Audigy 2 and 3.06GHZ P4 I have yet to experience any. Others similarly are having no problems.

Those with a high spec rig should certainly give it a go.

A big thank you to nRaecheR @IS Forums

3dprophet
31st Dec 2003, 03:15
Why would ther NOT be an option in the main menu for this?