PDA

View Full Version : DX:IW getting kicked out to the desktop

CracKie
4th Dec 2003, 04:10
Just bought the game today and immediately tried to play it, since I've been waiting for this to come our forever.. and now I run into this! Check it out:
I have two P4s, both running XP.. one has a GF4, another an ATI X-Tacy 128MB, no unnecessary proggies running on either of them.. SO!
I install the game on the ATI one, and it pops me out to the desktop right after the loading screen of the first level... i changed the resolution of the game to the one I'm running on the desktop, and it passed this problem. In the game itself I was able to change the res back to where I wanted it (640x480)... i know it's sucky, but it didn't look good at all otherwise. Then, after passing the little bit of the game it tried to load again, and BAM! boots me out again.
I tried installing on the other PC (the one with GF4), and it did the same thing, only a little later in the game.... Anyone else getting this problem.. I know of the problems and requirements, i met them all and getting really pissed off for the people that are running into numerous other problems with the game aswell.. it just seems the game should've been finished first, and then released...
what to do!? :confused:

-CracKie-

Cerpin Taxt
4th Dec 2003, 05:19
I had this problem once, at, um, a location in the game. I have no idea why it happened, and when I rebooted the game it didn't happen again. This doesn't help at all, just letting you know it's not only you.

CracKie
4th Dec 2003, 05:26
thanks, i fell alot less retarded now:D

Meteor_of_War
4th Dec 2003, 06:07
I am having random crashes to the desktop with no error message with my ATI 9800 Pro.

IconoclastDX
4th Dec 2003, 07:18
Windows causes crashes to the desktop if it thinks the program is going to do somthing that will cause a freeze. ONe good thing to do is see if its content dependand. Try running the game without doing anything and gradually progress into more dynamic levels. For example, if the game usually crashes tot eh desktop after 20 min then run the game in just the loading screen for 30 min. Then try it for 30 min with a loaded game just looking at a wall. etc. annoying i know.

Looks like crash to desktop is going to be #1 on their tech faq.

DarkForge
4th Dec 2003, 12:34
I've had that problem occasionally with the demo, although mine actually just minimised itself. One click on the toolbar brought it back up.

Don't quote me on this, but for cases like this: turning off the 'auto-hide' feature on any toolbars (e.g: MS Office) might solve this. The same thing happened with my Unreal 2 demo, but turning off auto-hide sorted it.

Meteor_of_War
4th Dec 2003, 15:03
Originally posted by IconoclastDX
Windows causes crashes to the desktop if it thinks the program is going to do somthing that will cause a freeze. ONe good thing to do is see if its content dependand. Try running the game without doing anything and gradually progress into more dynamic levels. For example, if the game usually crashes tot eh desktop after 20 min then run the game in just the loading screen for 30 min. Then try it for 30 min with a loaded game just looking at a wall. etc. annoying i know.

Looks like crash to desktop is going to be #1 on their tech faq.

You might be on to something because the game would always crash when a lot was going on onscreen (a fire fight, lots of NPCs onscreen, or a big wide open space that kills framerate).

Originally posted by DarkForge
Don't quote me on this, but for cases like this: turning off the 'auto-hide' feature on any toolbars (e.g: MS Office) might solve this. The same thing happened with my Unreal 2 demo, but turning off auto-hide sorted it.

Funny you say this because i actually have auto-hide for the toolbar ON.
I'll try playing with it off tonight.