PDA

View Full Version : Random Freezing

cruinh
4th Dec 2003, 02:00
At seemingly random times in both the demo, and now in the full version of the game, the game totally freezes up. I've discovered that pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Windows XP Task Manager, or otherwise getting back to the desktop somehow, and then alt-tabbing back into the game will unfreeze the game.

I have noticed that the game tends to freeze most often in the middle of a conversation with an NPC.

However this is INCREDIBLY annoying and obviously destroys the otherwise wonderful sense of immersion I'm getting from this game.

Has anyone else experienced this? Better yet, does anyone know of a way to keep it from happening?

My system specs are as follows:

Athlon 1.33 MHz Processor
Asus A7M Motherboard (or something close to that. I forget the precise designation)
512 MB ram
Windows XP
DirectX 9.0b
GeForce 4 Ti4600

I should mention that, other than the random freezing up, the game runs great on my setup.

Hand76
4th Dec 2003, 04:38
I have the same EXACT problem. Almost on the same EXACT machine too.

Specs:

1.3 Mhz. Procc
768 MB Ram
NVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600

And I noticed it happens alot during conversation, not always though.

kevinsho
4th Dec 2003, 05:17
I get the same problem though it doesn't seem to occur at any specific time, just randomly.

Specs
1.7 Ghz Pentium 4
512 Mb ram
Windows XP
Geforce FX 5200 256 Mb

I would love any suggestions as to how to fix it

Magus_prime
4th Dec 2003, 19:37
Same problem. Game will freeze for 10+ seconds approximately every 10 steps.

It will also occur during conversations with NPCs.

P4 - 2.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
Soundblaster Audigy 2
GeForce 4 4600 Ti with 128 MB RAM
Windows XP SP1 -w- all relevant patches
Latest drivers for all hardware

Why was I hoping for better after the demonstrable problems with the demo?

Sigh

Hand76
4th Dec 2003, 20:28
Well it looks like our Proc. are ok, and it seems like we have more than enough RAM, but I'm seeing Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 popping up a lot. :( Looks like that could be our problem.

Hand76
4th Dec 2003, 22:05
I figured something out!!! It has worked for me (TRY IT) then post and tell us if it works for you:

I went into my Nvidia ((GForce 4 TI 4600)) settings and set both AntiAliasing Setting & Anisotropic Filtering from 0 to 2X and unchecked the box's next to each. I went back into my game and kept everythig high and at 800x600 and so far since (3 hour of playing) I have had 0 freezes.

I don't know why but so far (knock on wood) it has seemed to work.

PLEASE POST BACK AND LET US KNOW IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU.

kevinsho
4th Dec 2003, 22:09
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my graphics card. I was able to reproduce the problem in another game. I upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce 2 to the Geforce FX. The other game worked fine on the old card. The game freezes probably don't have anything to do with Deus Ex.

Magus_prime
5th Dec 2003, 22:10
Hand76 seems to have found the culprit. Deus Ex seems to be either ignoring or has a conflict with the Nvidia drivers when they are set to "Application Controlled".

I have been able to bump the Nvidia settings for both Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering up to 4x and the game plays reasonably smoothly at 800x600. I'll have to try other permutations and see what happens.

Hand76
6th Dec 2003, 16:35
Yep Magus that certainly has seemed to work. :) Since changing those settings I haven't had a freeze since. :)

mazda charles
6th Dec 2003, 18:30
(repeated from another thread)

works for me! Though the frame rate is slower. If I turn anti-aliasing/anti-whatever to 0, it gets the same bug.

but hopefully eidos/ion storm can use this info to help in a patch :D . or NVIDIA, whoever it is ;)

H34DSH0T
6th Dec 2003, 20:43
I ALSO CANT RUN THE GAME.
EIDOS = THIS IS REALLY BAD.
GRAPHICS ARE NOT IMPORTANT.
GAMEPLAY IS IMPORTANT !!
IF I CANT PLAY THE GAME, THIS IS REALLY BAD.
YOU NEED A GF FX, OR ATI RADEON 9200 TO PLAY THIS GAME.
EIDOS = THIS IS NOT SMART !!
I'VE BUYED THE GAME, BUT I HATE THIS.
THAT WAS MY €50,- !!
EIDOS = BRING OUT ANOTHER VERSION OF THIS GAME.
C'MONE !!