PDA

View Full Version : Settings and Controls

sheatsm
14th Aug 2012, 16:33
Finished my download, fired it up. Looks about how I expected it. But I can't figure out what combination of keys to make Cloud run instead of just mosey about.

What am I missing? Playing with a keyboard btw. No controller/joystick.

Thanks.

member_10187013
14th Aug 2012, 16:38
press the cancel button to make cloud run

blackhawkgirl
14th Aug 2012, 16:39
to run you hold C and the direction key you want to go. also if you want to escape from battle you hold the page up and page down buttons.

member_10652142
14th Aug 2012, 16:39
I was just wondering the same thing. I'm using a regular USB game controller. "OK", "Cancel", and "Menu" all work fine. Then you have "Switch", "Page Up", "Page Down", "Target", "Assist", and "Camera" under Joystick in the Config window. Anyone know which one of these is used for running?

Rokeden
14th Aug 2012, 16:40
Cancel is used for running

member_10665705
14th Aug 2012, 17:05
Does anyone know how to be able to use an Xbox 360 controller with the new FF7 pc release? finaly got it downloaded and loaded up ... launcher settings has a joystic option that shows what buttons do what, although cant alter them and in game i can alter the keyboard keybindings but controller just gets no responce... any ideas on how to actuly use a joystic in this game?

member_10187013
14th Aug 2012, 17:09
I was just wondering the same thing. I'm using a regular USB game controller. "OK", "Cancel", and "Menu" all work fine. Then you have "Switch", "Page Up", "Page Down", "Target", "Assist", and "Camera" under Joystick in the Config window. Anyone know which one of these is used for running?

the page up/down is referring to the L and R buttons. don't know about the target or assist.

cgravil
14th Aug 2012, 18:23
There is annother fix. Go to your game controler properties (http://i.imgur.com/Rhgwp.jpg) and set your xbox controller as your perfered device for older games. This solved the problem for me instantly.

cgravil
14th Aug 2012, 18:25

Matheny
14th Aug 2012, 19:28
I decided to make a helpful guide for anyone trying to set up an Xbox 360 Controller. These
settings match the original Playstation Controller settings as closely as I could manage.

For some reason the game doesn't accept input from the directional pad or analog triggers.
(The Up, Left, Right, Down inputs are mapped to the analog stick.)

If you want to restore function to the triggers and Dpad you will need a key mapping program
like Xpadder, JoyToKey, or Pinnacle Game Profiler.

Map the keyboard Up, Down, Left, and Right keys to the Dpad. Map the "End" key to the Right Trigger (This is the "Target" key). Map the "Home" key to Left Trigger (This is the "Camera" Key)

OK - B Button / BUTTON 2

Cancel - A Button / BUTTON 1

Menu - Y Button / BUTTON 4

Start - Start Button / BUTTON 8

Switch - X Button / BUTTON 3

Page up - Left Bumper / BUTTON 5

Page down - Right Bumper / BUTTON 6

Target - Right Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 10

Assist - Back Button / BUTTON 7

Camera - Left Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 9

I hope this is helpful. Maybe Square Enix would be nice enough to patch in better gamepad
support? Or should I wait another 15 years for them to work out all the bugs? :)

Another thing that bothers me about this release is the music. The PC version and Playstation
version sound a bit different. If it bothers you, you can actually find the original
soundtrack on some old FFVII modding sites. With some persistent googling you may be able to
track down what you want. You'll need the original files converted into .ogg format, then
rename them to match the PC version file names in the music_ogg folder in the installation
directory. Just replace all the files in the music_ogg folder with the appropriate PSX version
files, properly renamed and it should work! I hope some of these tips point everyone in the
right direction. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can make a custom music tutorial
thread?

Edit: I made a few corrections to the list of controls.

MoonUNit
14th Aug 2012, 19:39
Thanks for that. I was playing with the keyboard earlier, but playing with the controller sounds nice. I remember playing it on the PS2, so the controiller might be easier to deal with. :)

Skittles
14th Aug 2012, 20:18
Thanks!

member_10416659
14th Aug 2012, 20:45
I decided to make a helpful guide for anyone trying to set up an Xbox 360 Controller. These
settings match the original Playstation Controller settings as closely as I could manage.

For some reason the game doesn't accept input from the directional pad or analog triggers.

If you want to restore function to the triggers and Dpad you will need a key mapping program
like Xpadder, JoyToKey, or Pinnacle Game Profiler. Map the keyboard Up, Down, Left, and Right
keys to the Dpad. Map the "End" key to the Left Trigger (This is the "Target" key). (the right
trigger was never used for anything in PSX version!)

OK - B Button / BUTTON 2

Cancel - X Button / BUTTON 1

Target - Left Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 9

Camera - Right Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 10

I hope this is helpful. Maybe Square Enix would be nice enough to patch in better gamepad
support? Or should I wait another 15 years for them to work out all the bugs? :)

Another thing that bothers me about this release is the music. The PC version and Playstation
version sound a bit different. If it bothers you, you can actually find the original
soundtrack on some old FFVII modding sites. With some persistent googling you may be able to
track down what you want. You'll need the original files converted into .ogg format, then
rename them to match the PC version file names in the music_ogg folder in the installation
directory. Just replace all the files in the music_ogg folder with the appropriate PSX version
files, properly renamed and it should work! I hope some of these tips point everyone in the
right direction. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can make a custom music tutorial
thread?

Hopefully we will be able to get an ORCHESTRAL mod...would be exceptional.

Rokeden
14th Aug 2012, 23:07
Great tip, thank you.

Only thing I would suggest is changing 'target' from the left analog stick to the 'back' button, since that is most close to where the 'select' button was on PSX controllers, which had the same function.

CraftySloth
15th Aug 2012, 00:12

like Xpadder, JoyToKey, or Pinnacle Game Profiler. Map the keyboard Up, Down, Left, and Right
keys to the Dpad. Map the "End" key to the Left Trigger (This is the "Target" key). (the right
trigger was never used for anything in PSX version!)

OK - B Button / BUTTON 2

Cancel - X Button / BUTTON 1

Target - Left Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 9

Camera - Right Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 10

thread?

I appreciate the setup support, but do you have any idea as to why I'm able to configure my gamepad in the settings outside of the game, but I don't have the option to switch to the gamepad in-game? I only have the option to tweak keyboard settings in-game.

Joe505-192334
15th Aug 2012, 00:16
Probably will sound really dumb, but what are the controls to use Final Fantasy 7? I look at what is said to be the default, but it still doesn't work at the page to start a new game. I thought it had to do with NumLock and have been messing around with that and looking online. I tried what they said, but it still doesn't seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

phooka13
15th Aug 2012, 00:43
I used this combo with my Logitech PS2/3 gamepad and it works great!

Use a Playstation button layout for reference.

Many thanks to the people at Caves of Narshe for the help.

www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php (http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php)

<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class="toprow tabletoptext">Function Name</td>
<td class="toprow tabletoptext">Default PS1 Mapping</td>
<td class="toprow tabletoptext">Default PC Mapping Logitech button # </td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">OK</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">?</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad Enter 3</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">CANCEL</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">×</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 0/Insert 2</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SWITCH</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad ./Del 1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">MENU</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">?</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad + 4</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">PAGEUP</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L1</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 9/PageUp 5</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">PAGEDOWN</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R1</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 3/PageDown 6</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">CAMERA</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L2</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 7/Home 7</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">TARGET</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R2</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 1/End 8</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">ASSIST</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SELECT</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 5 9</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">START</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad - 10</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

Matheny
15th Aug 2012, 00:53
I don't think there is any way to change gamepad controls in game. You have to set up your gamepad in the launcher.

phooka13
15th Aug 2012, 01:18
<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class="toprow tabletoptext">

Function Name

</td>

Default PS1 Mapping

</td>

Default PC Mapping

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">OK</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad Enter</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">CANCEL</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">×</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 0/Insert</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SWITCH</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad ./Del</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">MENU</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">?</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad +</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">PAGEUP</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L1</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 9/PageUp</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">PAGEDOWN</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R1</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 3/PageDown</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">CAMERA</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L2</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 7/Home</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">TARGET</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R2</td>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 1/End</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">ASSIST</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SELECT</td>
<td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 5</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad -</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php (http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php)

lyk13
15th Aug 2012, 03:23
Thanks for the tip. Will have to dig my controller receiver out for this haha.

member_10219055
15th Aug 2012, 04:21
I'm using an xbox controller and had no problems configuring it.

CraftySloth
15th Aug 2012, 07:16
I'm using an xbox controller and had no problems configuring it.

I didn't have any problems configuring it outside of the game either, but the game won't recognize that I'm using it when I hit Play Game. Everything is mapped properly, the controller is confirmed as working, but the game doesn't respond to any inputs outside of those provided by the keyboard.

tir43l
15th Aug 2012, 07:28
I had to same problem when I pulled out my old Logitech Precision Gamepad during a first boot of the game. Load it up past the first cinematic and the controller SHOULD (at least it did for me) start working. If it doesn't, just try CTRL+Q and exit the game, then try again.

GroundXaero-167851
15th Aug 2012, 18:17
Hey guys, after some disappointment finding out that D-Pads and Analogue Triggers apparently just don't exist to Square-Enix in their re-release of FF7 I took it upon myself to make a far better and more authentic and accurate layout for 360 controllers.

Initially I could not get the D-Pad to work at all, even with Xpadder, but then I found a work-around by editing the controller profile in a text editor and make the D-Pad read just like the Left Analogue Stick and I have now tested and can happily report this is working! I have also modified the Triggers (L2 / R2) as they were also unrecognised and have set them as the original PS1 Buttons.

To make the controls exactly like the PS1 version, just set your Keyboard settings to defaults, run Xpadder (as admin in Windows Vista and 7 just in case) load up my controller and game profiles from the zip file linked below and then map the Joystick buttons like this (http://www.myriad3d.co.uk/FF7/joystick_layout.jpg).

Get the Controller and Xpadder Profile files here (http://www.myriad3d.co.uk/FF7/FF7_XpadderLayout.zip).

UPDATE: Thanks to Crono1973 there's now also a Pinnacle Game Profile up too, check his thread out (http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?25556-Final-Fantasy-VII-2012-Re-Release) for more details.

If you're a bit hazey on exactly what the PS1 controls are you can check this page (http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php).

Good luck and happy levelling :)

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 18:42
Hey guys, after some disappointment finding out that D-Pads and Analogue Triggers apparently just don't exist to Square-Enix in their re-release of FF7 I took it upon myself to make a far better and more authentic and accurate layout for 360 controllers.

Initially I could not get the D-Pad to work at all, even with Xpadder, but then I found a work-around by editing the controller profile in a text editor and make the D-Pad read just like the Left Analogue Stick and I have now tested and can happily report this is working! I have also modified the Triggers (L2 / R2) as they were also unrecognised and have set them as the original PS1 Buttons.

To make the controls exactly like the PS1 version, just set your Keyboard settings to defaults, run Xpadder (as admin in Windows Vista and 7 just in case) load up my controller and game profiles from the zip file linked below and then map the Joystick buttons like this (http://www.myriad3d.co.uk/FF7/joystick_layout.jpg).

Get the Controller and Xpadder Profile files here (http://www.myriad3d.co.uk/FF7/FF7_XpadderLayout.zip).

If you're a bit hazey on exactly what the PS1 controls are you can check this page (http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php).

Good luck and happy levelling :)

The link http://www.myriad3d.co.uk/FF7/joystick_layout.jpg is dead. You might want to fix that.

GroundXaero-167851
15th Aug 2012, 19:02
Hmm, shouldn't be? Works here :s

Lokesus
15th Aug 2012, 19:12
Anybody know how to run form a battle? I dont remember the buttons to press.. Im using an xbox controller as well.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 19:14
Hmm, shouldn't be? Works here :s

False alarm, it works just fine, I must've clicked on somehthing else. Sorry about that!

member_10002363
15th Aug 2012, 19:15
Anybody know how to run form a battle? I dont remember the buttons to press.. Im using an xbox controller as well.

Press whatever you have bound to 'page up' and 'page down' on your controller. If you used the setup provided by the OP they would be your bumper buttons.

twonafish
15th Aug 2012, 21:17
anyone know which control to run in game?

Ginnas
15th Aug 2012, 21:45
the C key.

Lokesus
15th Aug 2012, 21:53
Thanks!

lyk13
15th Aug 2012, 22:47
It's like less than 5min into the game that Barett will tell you how to run...

General consensus: No one looks at keyboard configurations anymore? =|

GroundXaero-167851
16th Aug 2012, 07:48
Bumping so more people can see / make use of this :)

tir43l
16th Aug 2012, 07:58
If you are using a controller that has a setup simliar to the PS controller, then "Target" is the where square would be and "Assist" is where select would be.

member_10103292
16th Aug 2012, 16:46
Specifically the default button for [SWITCH]. I am at a part in the game where I am required to use it and I'm not sure which key it is. Because I am in an event in the game I cannot look it up or change it that way. I can't seem to find the new controls anywhere on the internet and Square's support site still has the original pc versions controls up.

MoonUNit
16th Aug 2012, 17:36
Switch is insert

member_10103292
16th Aug 2012, 17:39
Thank you so much!!

tir43l
16th Aug 2012, 17:51
Specifically the default button for [SWITCH]. I am at a part in the game where I am required to use it and I'm not sure which key it is. Because I am in an event in the game I cannot look it up or change it that way. I can't seem to find the new controls anywhere on the internet and Square's support site still has the original pc versions controls up.

Open the ingame menu, go to Config. There will be an option in there that shows you all the controls, for future reference.

Tylorick
16th Aug 2012, 18:50
So, maybe I'm just an idiot, but I for the life of me cannot figure out how to flee a battle. Is fleeing not in the PC version? :|

vinnyk84
16th Aug 2012, 18:55
i was just trying to do that my self, cause i remember that trick from 1998 when i would do it if i was snuck up on, but ya, it should be the (if you sue the controller liek i do) the top 4 buttons, but i dont know...its weird, its not working

marslava
16th Aug 2012, 19:13
the controls can also be changed in settings from the launcher

jcox2820
16th Aug 2012, 19:29
In order to flee you need to hold down the 'page up' and 'page down' buttons simultaneously. I set them to the shoulder buttons on my 360 controller, and that bomb I just fought didn't know what hit him!

RyoKa242-281625
17th Aug 2012, 12:10
I got a PS3/PC controller. It works for both a PC and a PS3. Why cant i setup my Joystick controlls to my Triangle, O, X, Square buttons. I looked into the properties and my controller has those buttons set to 13,14,15,16 respectfully. When i go to joystick settings in the game, it only allows me to go up to button 10, which my main buttons surpass. Please help.

member_10103292
17th Aug 2012, 12:42
Thanks James and marslava, but I have no problem changing the controls. As I said, my issue was not knowing what the button was while in the game and in a position where I couldn't change the controls. So please read the question before responding...for future reference.

jehucampos
17th Aug 2012, 13:44
I'm trying to use a wireless xbox controller to play the game, and while I can customize the button mapping in the launcher, the game won't recognize any button presses. I've tried playing through to the first checkpoint and then restarting (as I read on other threads might work) but it didn't work at all. I have also tried a wired Logitech f310 with the same results.

Does anybody know any real fix, or at least how to submit a ticket for this issue? It's really frustrating not being able to play the game with a controller. Thanks in advance.

crono1973
17th Aug 2012, 14:03
On the part where you need to have Cid stop the train before it crashes into North Corel (Huge Materia) you have to push up + menu and down + cancel. The 360 analog stick stops working there and you have to use the arrow keys.

The 360 buttons still work though. Anyone else had this problem?

Crayder
17th Aug 2012, 15:48
On both the PSX and old PC versions, you could configure Cloud to automatically run (rather than walk). Any way I can do it on this version?

crono1973
17th Aug 2012, 17:08
I'm trying to use a wireless xbox controller to play the game, and while I can customize the button mapping in the launcher, the game won't recognize any button presses. I've tried playing through to the first checkpoint and then restarting (as I read on other threads might work) but it didn't work at all. I have also tried a wired Logitech f310 with the same results.

Does anybody know any real fix, or at least how to submit a ticket for this issue? It's really frustrating not being able to play the game with a controller. Thanks in advance.

1) Make sure the controller is turned on BEFORE you start the launcher.

2) Make sure the 360 controller is the "Preferred" controller in Windows Control Panel. I don't know how to do this but I have heard others give this advice. Best thing to do would be to disconnect every controller except the 360 adapter.

jehucampos
17th Aug 2012, 17:30
Thanks! The preffered controller setting worked!

Lethrface
18th Aug 2012, 13:28
Everything seems to work fine and i had to rebind the keys but it seems I can't bind my 360 controller's triggers. It wont recognize it as a button essentially lol. It is only a minor inconvenience because it mapped the two buttons to the joysticks when they are pressed down but I want to know if anyone has figured out how to solve this. Any tips that doesn't require third party software?

Simonn-262419
18th Aug 2012, 17:31
I cannot assign my LT and RT buttons to work for the game. It detects the other buttons but not LT and RT. Does anyone know why?

jcox2820
18th Aug 2012, 18:11
As far as I am aware there is no way to get the game to recognize the triggers (though you can map the shoulder buttons). Also, I believe the same goes for the d-pad.

member_10190385
18th Aug 2012, 18:21
The reason you can't map "button" functions to the 360 triggers is because windows views them as one axis, usually called the z axis and acts simliar to the x and y axis of the sticks...one option is to get a logitech controller [or any other brand] that has actual buttons in that location...

as an alternative though, if you're not using the "L3" and "R3" buttons of the sticks, then you can map those...

hope this helps.

GroundXaero-167851
18th Aug 2012, 18:55
My solution fixes this problem, as I couldn't stand using the analogue stick to navigate menus. I also took a screenshot of the correct buttons to map to the 360 controller to make it as much like playing with the PS1 controls as possible, have fun :)

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29318819/FF7_D-Pad_Fix_with_Xpadder_(for_Wireless_360_Controller)_and_Original_PS1_Layout (/go/post/reply/139235/29325427/na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29318819/FF7_D-Pad_Fix_with_Xpadder_(for_Wireless_360_Controller)_and_Original_PS1_Layout)

GroundXaero-167851
18th Aug 2012, 19:04
Bump again as it got lost

Ehpik
18th Aug 2012, 19:59
I'm having the same issues.

My Logitech F310 is horrible with Final Fantasy VII for the PC.

Simonn-262419
18th Aug 2012, 20:29
Never mind. I found out why. You need to switch it to X-Input by turning the controller around and at the back of the controller there is a switch that you must switch to change it from D-Input to X-Input. It will enable the LT and RT buttons to work.

Crayder
19th Aug 2012, 13:45
Anyone?

apierce918-282791
19th Aug 2012, 15:56
I get an error when trying to load the profile :(

"Range Check Error"

Schadenfreud
19th Aug 2012, 22:32
Running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with a wired XBox 360 controller. Got Xpadder and loaded the controller and game profiles, but when I try to change the joystick layout in FF7's settings, it still won't register either of the triggers or the D-pad. Would love some insight on this. Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: I lied. The buttons do work! I was just misled by the settings menu not responding. I confirm that they do, however, function perfectly in-game! Thanks muchly for the solution, OP!

GroundXaero-167851
20th Aug 2012, 02:46
I was just misled by the settings menu not responding. I confirm that they do, however, function perfectly in-game! Thanks muchly for the solution, OP!
Glad it helped, I probably should have been more clear about the fact that the button layout in the menu is just to lay out the buttons that do work on the controller. As the triggers and d-pad don't exist according to the launcher they aren't mappable at all from there and I just make them the same as the keyboard bindings for the appropriate functions.

I get an error when trying to load the profile :(

"Range Check Error"
Are you running the latest version of Xpadder? Also after reading around a bit, have you tried running the Xpadder executable file (xpadder.exe) in Compatibility Mode (Windows XP SP3)? Seems to fix that error for some people.

tigeraid
20th Aug 2012, 13:43
Hey guys, downloaded the new version of FF7, looking forward to reliving all the good memories. I'd really rather not use the keyboard though--I have a PS2 controller plugged into a USB adapter. When I first load FF7 though, under "Joystick" it doesn't appear to recognize that it exists. Is there some tweak or setting I can modify to get it to recognize my controller?

tir43l
20th Aug 2012, 15:05
Hey guys, downloaded the new version of FF7, looking forward to reliving all the good memories. I'd really rather not use the keyboard though--I have a PS2 controller plugged into a USB adapter. When I first load FF7 though, under "Joystick" it doesn't appear to recognize that it exists. Is there some tweak or setting I can modify to get it to recognize my controller?

For games that don't directly support the use of a PS2/Xbox 360 controller, you need an additional program in order for it to interface with the program. A popular one is called Xpadder, which can be found at xpadder.com/ (http://xpadder.com/).

tir43l
20th Aug 2012, 15:16

This link will help you with the setup of the controller so it is exactly like the original setup of the game.

tigeraid-302361
20th Aug 2012, 15:33
Wicked, thanks!

Genos
20th Aug 2012, 17:52
I had this same issue, you do not need any 3rd party apps to get it to work (at least with my ps2->usb adapter).

My adapter has 2 ports. One port works to set up the buttons (outside the game) and i have to switch ports to get it to work inside the game.

Pretty strange problem, but only needs to be set up once anyway.

RekrStronggoat-261554
20th Aug 2012, 18:49
Using XBOX 360 controller. Game starts, stick works and then it gets to the keyboard layout screen after you select new game and it just freezes there. Any ideas?

the_randomizer
20th Aug 2012, 19:20
I thought Xpadder cost money...

tir43l
20th Aug 2012, 19:45
It costs $10.

the_randomizer
20th Aug 2012, 19:54
It costs $10.

Meh, it should be free, but whatever.

Quadocky
20th Aug 2012, 22:53
Press the X key.

For some reason it won't continue unless you press the OK function on the keyboard.

member_10282887
26th Aug 2012, 11:16
Ground, first i want to thank you for starting this thread, the first thing i wanted to do when i first launched it is use D-pad instead of analog stick. Unfortunately though your suggestion isn't working for me, it says your profile was created in a newer version of xpadder and i can't use it. From what i am seeing so far you can't get the newest version without paying for it (10$), which basically means you are paying as much as you did for the game just to use D-pad, no thanks. I am running xpadder in compatibility mode for XP as it won't open at all without it. I'm going to research this more and will update if i am able to get past this but wanted to warn everyone.

GroundXaero-167851
26th Aug 2012, 12:32
Ground, first i want to thank you for starting this thread, the first thing i wanted to do when i first launched it is use D-pad instead of analog stick. Unfortunately though your suggestion isn't working for me, it says your profile was created in a newer version of xpadder and i can't use it. From what i am seeing so far you can't get the newest version without paying for it (10$), which basically means you are paying as much as you did for the game just to use D-pad, no thanks. I am running xpadder in compatibility mode for XP as it won't open at all without it. I'm going to research this more and will update if i am able to get past this but wanted to warn everyone.

Yea I've owned Xpadder for a while now cos it's really useful for some of the games I play that either don't support controllers or have issues with them, I could try and remake the profile in an older version of Xpadder if you like, what version are you running?

member_10282887
26th Aug 2012, 12:48

Yea I've owned Xpadder for a while now cos it's really useful for some of the games I play that either don't support controllers or have issues with them, I could try and remake the profile in an older version of Xpadder if you like, what version are you running?

I think i got it, i'm amazed this worked though. I changed the extension of the profile to .txt to edit it and chaged the version date at the top to be the same as the modified date of xpadder.exe and after changing extension back to .xpadderprofile it took it. As far as the controller file i just made my own (guessed). I'll update again if i see any problems but the D-pad seems to be working now with no other unwanted results. Thank you very much for offering to remake it though, you didn't have to do that.

GroundXaero-167851
26th Aug 2012, 12:52
I think i got it, i'm amazed this worked though. I changed the extension of the profile to .txt to edit it and chaged the version date at the top to be the same as the modified date of xpadder.exe and after changing extension back to .xpadderprofile it took it. As far as the controller file i just made my own (guessed). I'll update again if i see any problems but the D-pad seems to be working now with no other unwanted results. Thank you very much for offering to remake it though, you didn't have to do that.

Glad you got it working, didn't think something that simple would be the issue, quite funny. If you run into any other problems let me know :)

crono1973
26th Aug 2012, 16:00
Has someone made one for Pinnacle?

ETA: I made a profile for Pinnacle Game Profiler. If anyone needs it let me know.

GroundXaero-167851
28th Aug 2012, 09:08
I made a profile for Pinnacle Game Profiler. If anyone needs it let me know.

Just post it up on this thread or give me a link and I'll add you into my opening post :)

crono1973
28th Aug 2012, 10:45
I made a profile for Pinnacle Game Profiler. If anyone needs it let me know.

Just post it up on this thread or give me a link and I'll add you into my opening post :)

pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthrea... (http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?25556-Final-Fantasy-VII-2012-Re-Release)

TheSothar-304745
2nd Sep 2012, 18:00
Im at the shinra mansion for the second time and am trying to open the safe, I know I have to use the dpad to change the numbers but how do I enter them what actual ingame buttons NOT the buttons on the keyboard as Ive customized my controls

I mean is it target+assist? or something else so far Ive been stuck for over 2 hours trying to figure this out can someone please help me??

BeandipMan
3rd Sep 2012, 15:42
Hey Everyone,
I spent a lot of time working on this, so I thought it would be helpful to do a post incase anyone else is looking to do the same thing. I purchased FFVII last month, and hated playing on the keyboard, so I plugged in my wired XBox 360 controller. I ran into some problems, but this is how I fixed them:

Unable to remap Joystick keys from Square Launcher:
I have the Razer Nostromo, and found that was causing the problem. When I did a full uninstall of the driver, and Razer software, and rebooted, I was then able to use the 360 controller to remap keys, and use in game.

What to remap to?
If you want to duplicate the PS1 controller setup with your XBox controller, you want do do the following keys. The Microsoft driver for the controller maps the Xbox buttons to numbers, so I made a table below.

OK - B - Button 2
Cancel - A - Button 1
Menu - Y - Button 4
Up - Up on LS - Up
Left - Left on LS - Left
Right - Right on LS - Right
Down - Down on LS - Down

Start - Start - Button 8
Switch - X - Button 3
Page up - LB - Button 5
Page Down - RB - Button 6
Target - Click RS - Button 10
Assist - Back - Button 7
Camera - Click LS - Button 9

The controller drivers treats RT and LT as the Z Axis, and by default can not be used as direct replacements for R2 and L2 on the PS1 Controller. So I changed the to clicking the left and right stick.

I hope this info is able to help some people out. Thanks!

Ramunr65
4th Sep 2012, 01:26
Thank You! for your help and info d=(^ o ^)=b

termmat
4th Sep 2012, 21:15
What KeyBoard Button Is [Switch] In FF7 pc version?

i cant find it

im stuck at the part were i have to give cpr to the girl who got attacked by the big fish
and i have to use [Switch] button to preform cpr but i cant find that button on my keyboard
help!

underverce
4th Sep 2012, 22:18
Switch is the insert key. u can access the key assignments via the options menu in game as well as in the launcher and remap them.

thinkmurphy-310283
25th Sep 2012, 12:55
sorry for reviving an old thread, but will using the RB+RS button in the chocobo race fill the energy back up?

warpax
25th Sep 2012, 19:11
is there any way to set run by default?

crono1973
30th Sep 2012, 19:57
sorry for reviving an old thread, but will using the RB+RS button in the chocobo race fill the energy back up?

You tell us, have you tried it?

thinkmurphy-310283
1st Oct 2012, 00:01
I'm past the first race and not close to entering a 2nd right now... or else I would tell you.

crono1973
1st Oct 2012, 01:02
I'm past the first race and not close to entering a 2nd right now... or else I would tell you.

I am curious. I am about to start a new game so if it works, let me know please.

ckobbe
15th Oct 2012, 22:10
Does anyone have the escape command for Final Fantasy VII? Please tell me the DEFAULT!

I know in PS1 it is L1+R1 but I don't know which keys are the L1/L2 R1/R2...Nor can I find any L/R in the Config / Keyboard settings!! Thank you to whoever can help me :D

ckobbe
15th Oct 2012, 22:34
CLOSED! I have found my answer by myself =-]

Mariusbyrd
19th Nov 2012, 18:03
Just like the subject.
Can I change controls and how? Ideally, I have a controller i'de like to use.
Second - A quick way to change language ?
Thanks.

News - I have been able to config my controllers - yay - but now my save dont show up.
I'll start over - Any tips?

Locke255
22nd Nov 2012, 17:28
Just like the subject.
Can I change controls and how? Ideally, I have a controller i'de like to use.
Second - A quick way to change language ?
Thanks.

News - I have been able to config my controllers - yay - but now my save dont show up.
I'll start over - Any tips?

The save takes a while to load sometimes.

How did you program the controller? I can only get it to let me change what the keyboard keys are assigned to but not my controller.

keith_the_scroller
18th Jan 2013, 10:41
CLOSED! I have found my answer by myself =-]

Hi Conner

What is the default?

Thanks...Keith

Grimoire
18th Jan 2013, 10:44
semna30.webs.com/FFVII_Settings.jpg (http://semna30.webs.com/FFVII_Settings.jpg)

Israfel070
10th Feb 2013, 01:34
I haven't encountered any problem like this in other games. I'm using an Xbox 360 wired controller with Xpadder, and it ran completely fine for the first 50 hours of the game. Now it's about time to fiight Ultima Weapon in Mideel and my primary buttons decided to randomize themselves. The analog sticks and shoulder buttons are fine.

OK Button now toggles the Menu.
Cancel seems to be working normally.
Menu button still does that but also toggles Start simultaneously??
Switch button no longer toggles Switch at all, but does open the Menu.
Start now toggles the view angle.

I tried changing them to different keyboard keys. I also tried uninstalling the controller profile and making it from scratch. I also tried downloading a ready-made profile from this site.

When playing keyboard, no problems whatsoever, but it's annoying to have to play that way.

Phoenyx414
17th May 2013, 16:18
Anyone know a way around having the cursor move to Select on the right side of the naming screen after every letter when choosing a name? I can erase "Cloud" or "Barret" using cancel, but whenever I choose a new letter and hit OK, the cursor moves to Select (like it would if you pressed Start) and then I have to move it back to the left to choose the next character; rinse and repeat.

Not sure if it's my gamepad or what. I'm using a Logitech Wireless F710. Is this just me? Has anyone found a work-around for this?

KociSvart
6th Jul 2013, 14:38
Okaay.. So.. I have my PS3 into my PC. I have downloaded the program Pinaclle game profiler or what ever .. I'm whondering what else do I download and then..

Where can I FIND A ****ING PS3 PROFILE? I'm been looking all day for a ****ING PROFILE when it's not even working. Tried to setup my own but wtf .. Nothing work In the game and NOTHING WTF.. PLEASE HELP ME

member_10607973
7th Jul 2013, 17:37
Just an aside. I also have the Nostromo and it was not recognizing my 360 controller. I did not have to uninstall the software for it, I merely had to disconnect the USB from the Nostromo and I was good to go. Great finding though with the Nostromo causing issues.

criss3h
8th Jul 2013, 19:39
Can anyone tell me how to access the keyboard control menu from in game, without having to quit to the launch menu?

ETA: I'm talking about the PC version through Steam :)

jjonezy83
8th Jul 2013, 20:57
I can be wrong as I haven't tried it yet, but i'm thinking it can be acessed from clicking on the "system" box on the far right bottom box on the bottom right hand of the screen. But I do think that brings up all the system options. I know I adjusted my graphics clicking on that box, so I'm safe to say that the keyboard control/edit is found there too.

moooka
9th Jul 2013, 05:00
You can change the controls in-game by going to the menu then settings, there should be an option for the controls there.

afrosammy00
10th Jul 2013, 02:22
I'm able to configure my gamepad controls in the Launcher, but when I get into the game, it's set to Keyboard by default. Any clue how to fix this, I'd rather not have to bother wiht a third party program.

sqdfkjop
15th Sep 2013, 19:32
Hello.

In my country (France) and others, the WASD keys are replaced by ZQSD. But in the Steam version of FF7, pressing the Q key in the menus or on the world map triggers a game exit confirmation. As you can imagine this is very annoying and prevents us to use our usual keybord mapping.

Please either disable this behavior when the Q key has been mapped by the user, or disable it entirely since anyway we already do have alt+f4 and the menus (and maybe ctrl+Q if it is also supported on this version).

Skaera75b
7th May 2014, 10:21
They're wrong. They used to be fine, I use a Logitech Rumble Pad and the controls used to be fine. I upgraded to Windows 8, and now Square is OK and wretchedness like that. The Edit Controls under 'Joystick' in the launcher does nothing.

Any idea how I can make this game playable? I've tried using different gamepads- all different, but still all wrong.

Thanks!

LastLifeSyndrome
20th Jun 2014, 19:42
I have my adapter set up with a PS2 controller and I'm using xpadder because my adapter apparently is not recognized. I have everything set as the original game was however X (which is supposed to be run/cancel) brings up the menu and if in the menu screen it works as cancel. Also apparently Circle which is confirm is now used for run. Is there a mod out there that fixes any of this?