PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy the next Tomb Raider game (TR7)???

Twirla123
29th Nov 2003, 02:06
Well, PC users, we've all had some kind of problem with AOD from
updating your systems to dealing with crashes, error messages, and bugs. And I know that the system requirements get even more demanding (especially for them graphics) every year. But, if they were releasing a Tomb Raider 7 would you buy it? Why or why not? I thought this would be an interesting poll and want to see some opinions!

1. Yes - I'll buy TR7 no matter what problems it will have. :D

2. Yes - I'll buy the game on any platform other than the PC (playstation...etc). :rolleyes:

3. Yes - Even if my system does not meet all the requirements I am willing to go out my way to get the game to work. :eek:

4. NO - I will not buy that game! If AOD barely worked for my computer, TR7 might not work at all. Besides, If I'm going to have to update or install graphics stuff for my system, if it is buggier than AOD, even if I need a new computer - I WILL NOT buy the game. PERIOD! :mad:

5. Depends - I will wait to see what others say about the game before I buy. :p

WesternWhiteWolf
29th Nov 2003, 03:06
I voted for 1 and 2, I thought AOD was good if not great, and I'm a Playstation player.:cool:

Jewell
29th Nov 2003, 03:50
I voted for 1 and 3.
The 3 was what I did with AoD, lol. *It worked... eventually :)*

Erik Olsen
29th Nov 2003, 09:57
I voted for 1 and 3, too. Even if all the critics say that it sucks, and even if other TR-fans hate it, I'll play it!

Jewell
29th Nov 2003, 21:33
Originally posted by Erik Olsen
I voted for 1 and 3, too. Even if all the critics say that it sucks, and even if other TR-fans hate it, I'll play it!

Me too! :D

*unless it's manga, then- not so much* lol

emmakhet
4th Dec 2003, 00:47
I voted for 1 and 3.

I did it for AOD I can do it again.:D

XanderD2
5th Dec 2003, 00:09
Actually, I spend a lot of money every year to upgrade my computer so hardware requirements are no problem for me, but this half-finished AoD was a disheartening experience, something I would not wish to come my way again.

That said, probably I'll still give in and buy TR7 when it is released unless it gets 2/10 - 3/10 scores from all major review sites. Hope dies last.

Tomb Raider Fan
6th Dec 2003, 11:57
I voted for number 1....

No matter what the game looks like or plays like...I will definetly buy the next TR ;)

jso2897
8th Dec 2003, 02:59
I am going to buy it out of curiosity, if nothing else. By that time, I'll have gotten a new PC, so hardware won't be a problem. And I just want to see where they run with the concept. I guess I've been living in L.A. too long.;)

Mr Sinister
14th Dec 2003, 02:49
Though the game worked fine on my "Pal" PS2,i thought it was a BIG let-down.

So NO i would NOT buy TR7 if its anything like TR6.

TR-AOD
14th Dec 2003, 03:13
think i will wait and see how the game pans out, what sort of responce it gets. i was a a little dissapointed with AOD so i deffo wont be rushing out to buy it.

Twirla123
19th Dec 2003, 23:52
well I voted for 4 and 5.
AOD was a good game, very interesting but I had problems getting it to work, but finally got it to work for the win98.

I remember back when TR3 came out and those without 3D on their computers couldn't play... and some had to get the Voodoo 3d graphics (if didn't already have it...)
Now that TR6 is out, the voodoo (i think) is too outdated for it.

And microsoft is going to stop making programs that support windows 98, so i assume the PC GAMES will do the same. I dont think TR7 will work on the win98, and the computer i use for school (is winME) is fairly new but TR6 didn't work on it either... so i don't think TR7 will work on it.. so i guess I won't be buying TR7 either.. :eek:

I dont know why they go out their way to make the graphics better, they dont look any better than tr5's graphics (just more detailed) well one should keep up with the updated technology, no?

well games are gonna be more advanced every year and will require more memory to play them, which in turn will require NEWER computers??? H no i'm not getting part 7. I'll just play someone else's :D :D :D

cherrynight
23rd Dec 2003, 10:35
I vote for 1 and 3.

The 3 was just what my friend did:D
No matter how the future game will be like, I'll play it!

burt_ie
23rd Dec 2003, 10:42
As a ps2 player i obviously was unawear of all the problems that pc players were expiriancing. But from what i can gather there a quite a few!!!
But i think that really pc players should not moan about it if they have crap machines, please dont take offence, my pc is crap, actually its ready for the rubish tip, (hence the ps2) it handles all the original TR's fine but i would NEVER dream of even trying TRAOD on it.
I this day and age technology is developing at an exeptional rate, iam only 23 and there are things that blow even my head and make me feel old, when did they invent this? iam so out of touch with all this advancment??
Unless u have an up to date, or brand spanking new **** hot machine why even bother trying to play these up to date brand new games?? developers are always going to be contineusly pushing the bounderys of technology to the limits in order to impress and get the generall media and public exited, other wise what would would be the point of creating a game which used only half the power of morden day machines?????
To me, pc's are fine for certain things, i cant afford to upgrade every year so i have a ps2 to allow me to play a lot of the games i could never play on pc. Games machines are fine for this and those who do not have good pcs, perhaps should think about updating or getting a console of some kind, there is enough to chose from.

PLAYA INC'S BIG THUG
26th Dec 2003, 03:30
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rusty_DK
9th Jan 2004, 09:19
i would buy it either way, however i would like to see some major revamping to the games graphics and possibly adopting more life like models with less "comic-book" type builds, if that makes any sense at all...i was not impressed with the game's graphics at all

burt_ie
9th Jan 2004, 10:42
Originally posted by Rusty_DK
i would buy it either way, however i would like to see some major revamping to the games graphics and possibly adopting more life like models with less "comic-book" type builds, if that makes any sense at all...i was not impressed with the game's graphics at all

I was impressed by the games graphics, i thought they were quite nice, and still are, obviously some bits are better than others but there are some high quality and very lush looking segments, sometimes i find myself positioning the camera to a good view point and just sitting there thinking "whooo look at that, how pritty!" but then again, iam sad!!!

TRNZ
13th Jan 2004, 05:15
I loved the game and can't wait until the next is released. I'm buying it asap and definitely for PS2 (if it comes out while PS2 is still around) as I have too many problems with computers these days and it's getting expensive with all these upgrades when my PS2 can handle it just fine and for the same price as the PC game alone.

Rusty_DK
14th Jan 2004, 02:05
Originally posted by burt_ie
I was impressed by the games graphics, i thought they were quite nice, and still are, obviously some bits are better than others but there are some high quality and very lush looking segments, sometimes i find myself positioning the camera to a good view point and just sitting there thinking "whooo look at that, how pritty!" but then again, iam sad!!!

I respect your opinion however being a Silent Hill fan I feel that nothing can compare to the graphics on that game...in comparison to TR, Silent Hill's graphics are far more superior and the characters actually look life like, unlike tombraider's comic like charcters, however this could be due to the sheer size of the enviornments and the ability to use more processing power for the characters, i dunno im not up with computer programming.

The way the game was hyped to be was not at all the way they said it was. I imagined dark and disturbing environments and as the game progressed i soon forgot that lara was a fugitive on the run, that plot seemed to disapear quite suddenly...I thought the game was alright...but definately needed improving from the ground up...I still stand by my initial post saying that the graphics were definately no good and definately need improving, along with the whole game it'self...i could write for hours on this but I can't be bothered, dont wanna get flammed and don't wanna bore you guys to death. haha

thanhkim
14th Jan 2004, 04:02
Yep I will buy tr 7 if it has Lar's I'm happy. Even if it's the worst pile of dog doo doo in the world I pledge me loyality to Lars mate. :D

VMan
14th Jan 2004, 04:37
I will without a doubt. While I am sad to see one of Core Design's greatest developments taken away from them, I do have some confidence in Crystal Dynamics.

Lord Henshingly Croft
18th Jan 2004, 09:22
i surely will buy the next game i think aod rocks (okay a few bugs but so what) and i hope that crystal dynamics keeps the story normal (and lara the way she looks)!!!!!!!!!

susan
22nd Jan 2004, 02:09
If it plays like AoD then I might buy it when the price drops to £20 or maybe I'll rent it. I won't be rushing either way.

If, on the other hand, it's up to usual TR standards in terms of engrossing gameplay and exploration, I'll buy it the very first second I can just like I usually do. :D

jso2897
25th Jan 2004, 13:54
At this point, I'd buy it just to cheese off the bashers. :D

Splodge
6th Feb 2004, 10:12
I sure would!

I think there are a lot of positives from this game, and I think EIDOS have been going in the right direction to make a more enjoyable game.

I like the 'Artificial Intelligence'. Sure it's embryonic, but I've already had great fun with the guards in Le Serpent Rouge. If you try different approaches, then things evolve differently.

That didn't much happen with previous Tomb Raider games. In those, you had a choice of run away or shoot, and the 'enemy' didn't display much variation in movements.

I also like the little touches - Lara can now clamber and even tread on, most things in her path. She can also grab onto railings and jump onto narrow ledges. Additionally, there is now a real threat that Lara can be shot and killed - as least as easily as she shoots and kills others.

There's also the aspect of Lara's character. I appreciate that in TRAOD, she's moved away from being a Mary Poppins character, who floats into scene (usually from a great height). She has more realistic facial movements, interacts with others (albeit to a tiny extent), and moves more realistically. She's less of a 'jumping jack' and more of a person. You can now see the 'whites of her eyes'. (In fact, I've seen her eyeballs in their entirety!)

That makes a big difference. It builds tension and anticipation. It's a small step, but a 'giant leap' toward turning Tomb Raider into a true 'Virtual Reality' game, rather than a 'dice-and-counters' thing, where the same outcomes are always repeated.

I agree, TRAOD isn't perfect, but I think EIDOS (or CORE DESIGN?) have made a BIG effort here, producing a new game engine. I only hope that that effort can be built on, by whoever has bought the Tomb Raider franchise.

As for computer hardware. I first played Tomb Raider 5 years ago, when I bought this very computer I'm using now. I put off buying TRAOD because of the reports that it was too demanding on hardware and I didn't think my 500MHz dinosaur would cope anymore.

However, I just bought TRAOD last week (it's now half-price!), and was most surprised to find that it ran OK on this ancient museum piece. It was slightly jerky, but I popped in another 128MB (SDRAM - no DDR stuff here!) and it now runs real smooth. (Do I get a prize for having played every TR game on the same machine?)

Well, the short answer is 'Yes' - I will be buying TR8 - I'm sure it'll be GR8.

Splodge
6th Feb 2004, 10:17
I can't count (can't read either!).

I was sure that TRAOD was TR7, but it's actually TR6, isn't it? Well, I get confused, because there was 'Unfinished Business' and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'(?) - whatever.

Anyway, I'll will be buying TR7 - I'm sure it'll be heaven!

burt_ie
6th Feb 2004, 10:49
Couldnt have said it better my self......i will definetly be buying the next tomb raider......and the next.....and the next............even if just to see which direction it goes in and to study the evolution of it all!!

Young Raider
15th Feb 2004, 05:12
I would totally buy TR7. I have a mac and its easier to meet the requirements for each game, so I would gladly purchase Laras next adventure!

Nybis
26th Feb 2004, 10:20
I'd definatly buy it anyway. Lara and Tomb Raider just mean that much to me. It's my all time favourite game series. PC version off course.
BUT, and this is important, I'd prefer that the game is finnished when they release it. I'd rather wait a few months longer if that means they'll get rid of all the serious bugs.

AnUbIs985
6th Apr 2004, 07:49
Course I'll buy it!Lara brings out the adventurer in me:D

IXF
6th Apr 2004, 18:16
Definitely gonna buy it :) I feel like a game girl now (as well as a comic girl).

My mate is on a forum about Final Fantasy. Now I'm on one about Tomb Raider :D Leet.

Maz
~*~

white_tiger
7th Apr 2004, 20:31
^^i agree with the poster above and yes i will buy it for the PS2 well next year the PS3 comes out YAY!!!

anyways graphics wise its good so were the controls (first TR game on PS) rest i have on PC

also i want that sound when she falls from a high point back you know the sound where her bones break

AnUbIs985
8th Apr 2004, 06:40
Originally posted by white_tiger
^^also i want that sound when she falls from a high point back you know the sound where her bones break
ditto:)

Invincible
16th Apr 2004, 02:27
There is NO WAY,any1 can convince me NOT to buy it.That's my baby right there. And CD better do good job or I'm burning the whole building ;) :D !!

I wasted about $400 on RAM,HDD,graphic cards, for just upgradin' the stupid,slow thing,I could of just buy a new computer for God's sake.I know this new age games will take a lot, and I mean a lot of your computer,so yes,I will be fine waiting till next year for the 7th game to come out, if ya know what I mean ;) :rolleyes:

Invincible

knightgames
16th Apr 2004, 04:58
yes I will buy the next game.......
but, I've recently came across a demo for the game Mark of Kri.
It's about 2 years old, and the graphics LOOK FANTASTIC. The gameplay is topnotch. I liked it so much I bought it for $9.95 US in the markdown bin at EB.
I would think with a bit of code working it COULD BE MADE VERY EXPLORATORY in nature. Just like we are used to in TR. The jungle levels and temples.............. and ooooooooooooooooooo the WATERFALLS. Do I sound impressed? (I think it is the best game I never heard of)

The gameplay itself is linear. But there is a strategy to the combat. You CAN'T rush in nilly willy..... well you can but that will get your wil............ oooooooooops never mind. You know what I mean.

Anyway, if you are bored and want to try something different, you may like it. At least for me I came away hoping that MAYBE..... JUST MAYBE Crystal Dynamics could pull off something like this as far as LUSH, BEAUTIFUL, ENVIRONMENTS go. And combine that with the adventuring we LOVE about Lara, and SHE WILL BE ON TOP AGAIN.

jso2897
17th Apr 2004, 00:15
Crystal Dynamics seems to have a whole different style and approach to game design from CORE'S - but that doesn't neccesarily mean that they're going to mess it up. I have to admit that I'm curious, and I'm not at all worried about how long it takes them to make it. I've got a half dozen games to finish, and PC games are getting too demanding for my PC. In another couple years, I'll have worked through the games I have, and gotten a new PC - so then we'll see.

AnUbIs985
17th Apr 2004, 12:23
I just hope Crystal Dynamics will continue the AOD plot.I 'd bereally disappointed if I couldn't find out what happens next:)