PDA

View Full Version : I smell a rush job. Do you?

IconoclastDX
25th Nov 2003, 08:10
Simple Poll. Choose one way or the other. I left out the "I cant ever decide" option on purpose.

Example comcerns:

- Inadequate PC support.
- Major problems with AI.
- No brainer options left out (leaning, grappeling).

These are the major. The game just feels rushed. Almost like each aspecte of the game was 89% complete and then they had to work quickly to get it out the door. Maybe it's just me.

Edit: Fine, call it mantleing. In the good old days when if first was introduced they called in grappeling. Dont know why though. ANyway, any self respecting tactical game employes mantleing, even none FP games. Just another example of how caught up IS was with there little pet improvments.

Jesus, P.I.
25th Nov 2003, 08:20
I'm not sure that the problem is a rush job. After all, they started work on the sequal almost as soon as DX was released. I just think they made some poor design decisions.

scottws
25th Nov 2003, 08:22
Grappling? I don't remember that from the first game.

NamelessOne
25th Nov 2003, 08:25
Originally posted by scottws
Grappling? I don't remember that from the first game.

I think he means mantling (Being able to climb up onto a small ledge.) Should have been in. Theres no reason that you should need to climb onto a box to go inside a window.

As for rushed... I don't know. I think the devs did what they wanted to do, and it wasn't what I wanted them to do.

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 08:34
I think he means mantling (Being able to climb up onto a small ledge.) Should have been in. Theres no reason that you should need to climb onto a box to go inside a window
Er.. that is in. You can even climb tall boxes or fences. Hold jump infront of the wall. In the demo where the maintenance door, theres a wall opposite. Hold jump on the corner and you climb it. Then walk up just below the balcony place and hold jump again to climb onto the balcony. With the glass destabilizer mod, you can shoot out the glass and quitley sneak in. Well, if they were hostile to you for some reason this would be a nice way to sneak in.

IconoclastDX
25th Nov 2003, 08:39
REALLY?!!!!! I tried to mantle ther forever. Well not forever. YOu say the you can climb walls? Could you be more specific because appearently Im not the only one who didnt figure it out?

NamelessOne
25th Nov 2003, 08:56
Originally posted by Woggy
Er.. that is in. You can even climb tall boxes or fences. Hold jump infront of the wall. In the demo where the maintenance door, theres a wall opposite. Hold jump on the corner and you climb it. Then walk up just below the balcony place and hold jump again to climb onto the balcony. With the glass destabilizer mod, you can shoot out the glass and quitley sneak in. Well, if they were hostile to you for some reason this would be a nice way to sneak in.

Hmm? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm outside the greasel trainers bathroom, I shot the window, and I hold jump... and I jump?

But I tried it on the dumpster/balcony and it mantled. So its only partially in. Have you managed to mantle into a window?

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 09:04
To get into windows, I jump and quickly press crouch. Works nearly every time :confused:
Heres how to get to the back (sorry for low quality, its for bandwidth reasons)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/506647/1.jpg
Here we are the facing the wall next to the door
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/506647/2.jpg
Here, Look straight on to the wall (NOT up), and hold jump. You should quickly jump up twice to the last place
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/506647/3.jpg
From here, quickly run and at the last moment jump and hold. If done properly, he should hold on and climb on top. tada!

StriX
25th Nov 2003, 09:18
Mantling is in. Just hold down jump and AD will climb up on the ledge/box/fence.

The window is another story. It seems he tries to mantle something and gets pushed back when u hold down the jumpkey going out the window. Try crouchtoggling before and then just push jump 1 fast time and u will be out the window in no time.

StriX

ABRAXAAS
25th Nov 2003, 09:21
Quote:

I smell a retard. Do you?

NamelessOne
25th Nov 2003, 09:21
Yeah, I got it now. I think I was holding crouch after I jumped. You learn something new everyday.

Mantlings in, then, problem solved. :rolleyes:

mvrander
25th Nov 2003, 09:32
I smell a rush job with the demo but not the full game. Not that i have played the full game but the config files in the demo have settings in for hud positioning etc which are set blatantly for the x-box. The hud setting is set at 61 and even a commented out line which say 68 is good for the pc version. THIS IS THE PC VERSION, how hard would that have been to set up.

I changed my hud colour, decreased the font size, set the opacity of the hud to 0, removed the mouse lag value (if anyone can tell me why that is not set at 0 by default I'll be impressed) and the demo now actually fells like a good pc game.

Mantling is possible, the hud does work once you get used to it and tweak some gfx settings then the demo plays very well.

The sad thing is that all of these settings should have been put in as default in the first place. Initial reactions can mean a lot, especially to the teenage gaming community who will be paying for this game and having had these settings in place by default to allow a more responsive and better performing demo would have made a great deal of difference.

Viking2
25th Nov 2003, 10:31
You know, if you were less of an ass, someone might someday take you seriously. Some day. But don't count on it.

Anyway, Iconoclast, you make WAY too many polls. I'm sorry, but there's like 5 in a row that are yours. Stop. Please.

Blackdog
25th Nov 2003, 14:37
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
Quote:

I see one, do you? In the mirror you look in every day?

:rolleyes:

As for Deus Ex 2 - if the Demo is any indicator - I really hope they have a better one out.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Nov 2003, 15:42
It's funny how the words "gay" and "retard" have become so numerous on this forum lately.

I would bet the average age has decreased a lot since the release. this forum is beginning to look less civilized and more Diablo 2-like every day.

what reassures me is taht somewhere in the beginning of 2004 (I would guess february), all these trolls and flamers will have gone away, and this forum will be enjoyable again

Meteor_of_War
25th Nov 2003, 15:54
There's no escaping the sea of retards on the internet.

OrioTecc
25th Nov 2003, 16:57
regarding the jumping through windows, just crouch, then move forward and jump (while crouched, its possible) and u fly through as easy as hell.

ABRAXAAS
25th Nov 2003, 19:37
Originally posted by Blackdog
I see one, do you? In the mirror you look in every day?

:rolleyes:

As for Deus Ex 2 - if the Demo is any indicator - I really hope they have a better one out.

WHAT! why you lookin in my mirror, and how'd you get in my house?

RobK
25th Nov 2003, 23:13
I smell a rush job. Do you?

Somewhat. The odor of a port from a console, rather than the other way around, is what I smell much more strongly though. Which really is a shame, it was the PC that made Deus Ex what it was.

Trek234
26th Nov 2003, 00:20
It IS for SURE a rush job. One of the devs at the IS forums said only a day or so ago that they wanted to make things better (like the ATMs for example) but "didn't have time".

IIIMystIII
26th Nov 2003, 01:33
Not so much "rush job" as "sellout" IMO...

Cybersurfer
26th Nov 2003, 03:36
Originally posted by IIIMystIII
Not so much "rush job" as "sellout" IMO...

Your right on the money, but i do believe the demo was rushed

Darkhelm
26th Nov 2003, 05:35
And yet another biased poll from a biased basher of the game. Will you ever stop, man? :rolleyes:

CodyLamp
26th Nov 2003, 05:40
Lets remember this is a demo, and the game just went gold today.

IconoclastDX
26th Nov 2003, 05:56
Look. Its simple. There are two choices. Either you think it WAS rushed or you DONT. Thats about as balanced and diametric as you can get. Please, if you have a good REASON why you think the way you do, we'll be happy to read it.

NamelessOne
26th Nov 2003, 06:11
Originally posted by Darkhelm
And yet another biased poll from a biased basher of the game. Will you ever stop, man? :rolleyes:

How is "Rushed vs not rushed" a biased poll? Maybe the title of the thread is, but the poll certainly isn't.

Would a non-biased for you be "Not rushed vs OMG I LOVE DXIW SO MUCH ITS SO GREAT OMG!!!!!!"? :confused:

Darkhelm
26th Nov 2003, 06:30
"Unbiased" would imply that the author would not just crave negative responses and violent chanting of the hateful kind while creating their polls. :rolleyes:

NamelessOne
26th Nov 2003, 08:28
"Unbiased" would imply that the author would not just crave negative responses and violent chanting of the hateful kind while creating their polls. :rolleyes:

Theres inherent bias in everyone. While the author may be biased, the poll does not necesarily have to be, and in this case, it isn't. The author's post was his opinion, and completely seperate to the poll.

FliX
26th Nov 2003, 09:32
Originally posted by NamelessOne
As for rushed... I don't know. I think the devs did what they wanted to do, and it wasn't what I wanted them to do.
you hit the nail right on the head.... :(

Jesus, P.I.
27th Nov 2003, 21:35

Is a poll in favor of the game any less "biased?" What makes a poll biased? The fact that you don't agree with the person posting it?

And what is the point of throwing around the word "biased" as an insult anyway? Do you really think that anyone can escape being biased? Do you think that you or me or anyone else here have posted anyting unbiased? If so, please point something out.

iloved2demo
28th Nov 2003, 11:52
How in the hell can you people post a vote about a game YOU HAVE NOT EVEN PLAYED YET!?!!?

Deus Ex 2 demo was awesome and it didn't even include the best part of the original game, the story.

Shinnosuke
28th Nov 2003, 16:42
Originally posted by iloved2demo
How in the hell can you people post a vote about a game YOU HAVE NOT EVEN PLAYED YET!?!!?

Deus Ex 2 demo was awesome and it didn't even include the best part of the original game, the story.

Nor will it ever have the best part of the original game, the story.

I think it will have a story of it's own :)

And hell, when even the gamespy guy says the story is a bit weak the writing's on the wall as far as I'm concerned.

JCHelios
29th Nov 2003, 00:22
Not really, it's been in production for 3 years.

[Removed homophobic language. -Random]

Bonk
29th Nov 2003, 01:06
I dont think the game was rushed at all. I think the problems with the game come from basic design decisions and the biggest decision was the horrible decision to make Deus Ex 2 the Xbox's *****

:D

Ziggy Dee
29th Nov 2003, 19:02
You know if you don't like the game you can stop playing and go play on your little Gamecube consoles. Even better stop posting here and stop looking like an idiot because DX2 RULES!!!!

Shinnosuke
29th Nov 2003, 19:31
Originally posted by Ziggy Dee
You know if you don't like the game you can stop playing and go play on your little Gamecube consoles. Even better stop posting here and stop looking like an idiot because DX2 RULES!!!!

it's people that want everyone to agree with them instead of having interesting meaningful discussions that should bugger off forums. I wonder if that would apply to that guy or you. hmmm.

If you don't want to see negative opinions don't go into a thread calling it a rush job. Seems logical enough to me.

Ziggy Dee
29th Nov 2003, 20:33
No you are unwanted here son, we don't want flame wars which is all you are trying to start and I think you should be banned. The devs made this game for your benefit and if you don't like it, PUSH off elsewhere.

Shinnosuke
29th Nov 2003, 20:40
No you are unwanted here son, we don't want flame wars which is all you are trying to start and I think you should be banned. The devs made this game for your benefit and if you don't like it, PUSH off elsewhere.

I start flamewars? Mwuhahaha. I haven't flamed anyone anywhere. All i see is people having discussions and you telling them they are whiners.

The developers amde it for their own denefit. I hope you are not so naive to think they are doing it for the good of mankind. It's their job. Sure they want to do a good job of it, but sometimes people fail.

Especially when they get rushed :)

Ziggy Dee
29th Nov 2003, 20:47
Originally posted by Shinnosuke
I start flamewars? Mwuhahaha. I haven't flamed anyone anywhere. All i see is people having discussions and you telling them they are whiners.

The developers amde it for their own denefit. I hope you are not so naive to think they are doing it for the good of mankind. It's their job. Sure they want to do a good job of it, but sometimes people fail.

Especially when they get rushed :)

LOL I FOUND A PIC OF SHINNOSUKE!!!!!!!! LOPL

http://www.thejackcat.com/AC/ACPL02/STFU.jpg

Shame he can't do what it says on his shirt. Fat boi :p

Shinnosuke
29th Nov 2003, 21:02
LOL I FOUND A PIC OF SHINNOSUKE!!!!!!!! LOPL

http://www.thejackcat.com/AC/ACPL02/STFU.jpg

Shame he can't do what it says on his shirt. Fat boi :p

A scary likeness, but no, I am not THAT fat.

I tell you what: You shut up and I shut up. If I don't see you making a single post on this forum again, I won't post again. Sounds fair enough.

http://internettrash.com/users/therail/ziggy.gif

Catman
29th Nov 2003, 21:13
And thus ends the lession in how to get yourself banned. :rolleyes: