PDA

View Full Version : So, how much did Microsoft pay you to focus on Xbox?



Quantum386
25th Nov 2003, 05:11
Slowly, it is starting to become a bit obvious that DX: Invisible War is an Xbox game, and that the PC version is merely a port from the Xbox version. Due to that, I don't think anyone needs to ask why so many DX features are not in DX:IW, because it wouldn't have made sense to put all those features into a console game.

Ion Storm has concentrated too much on the Xbox, they don't give a monkeys about the PC users. Why? The only answer I can think of is that Microsoft gave them money, and lots of it. Just ask your self: why not? I don't think they (Ion Storm and/or Microsoft) will ever admit it, they dont need to, using a bit of brains and looking back at history will answer the questions.

Right at the day Microsoft started with the Xbox plans, they paid nVidia several millions to make it a priority to make a processor specifically for the Xbox, this may be the reason why current nVidia cards are lacking in performance as compared with ATI. Microsoft took over Bungie for Halo, why? Probably because Bungie originally refused to make Halo Xbox only regardless of how much Microsoft gave them, so I guess thats why Microsoft took them over.

Do a bit more searching with search engines and you'll find some interesting topics in why and how some games managed to hit the Xbox. Not going to waste my time spitting it out all here when it's already all over the internet.

Pfft, that is all I can say. At the end of the day I really dont care. If the game is junk, I wouldn't have wasted a single cent.

I'm the type of person who believes in "Try before you Buy", and how do I accomplish that? I'll obtain a full copy of the full game (I dont think I'll need to state how or where) and see for my self what it is worth, if it's worth squat, then I'm not paying for it :)


-
q

Pequachino
25th Nov 2003, 05:15
Originally posted by Quantum386
I'll obtain a full copy of the full game (I dont think I'll need to state how or where)
-
q

piracy is just so cool guy, ever hear of

where: blockbuster
how: pay greasy teenage clerk five bucks..

Benjie
25th Nov 2003, 05:20
It's called buisness. Deal with it. Hell at least it's better than communism!

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 05:21
Since when does Blockbuster rent out PC games? And how is renting different from pirating? The developer/publisher doesn't see another dime either way.

Rooklin
25th Nov 2003, 05:21
Either they payed them a lot of money or all these Microsoft dudes came rushing into the devs offices and used their state of the art inprotector brainwashing pens on them.

My guess is #2.

If it truly was #1 I will go cry.

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 05:24
I think a big factor is that a large portion of the PC gaming market doesn't have the hardware to run IW.

Quantum386
25th Nov 2003, 05:24
Personally I'm against piracy. But I'm also against wasting my money on a pile of junk not worth squat.

EVERY single piece of software installed on my system at the current moment is legal. The only time something "illegal" gets installed is when I want to see for my self if a crappy game like DX:IW is really going to suck as much as other people say, and if it does suck, I uninstall it :D if it by miracle doesnt suck, I buy it.

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 05:30
That's part of the reason that piracy is so prevalent; there's no accountability. You go to a movie, and it's bad, you're out $8 and you can probably get some laughs out of making fun of it. You buy a game, and it's bad, you're out $50.

IMO games should be released episodically, for like $5-$15 per episode, with online purchase and downloading available. It would encourage innovation (people are much more willing to gamble $10 than $50), it would keep the quality high (because if an episode sucks, people won't buy the next one) and if an episode isn't good, you lose $10, not $50. Companies would only have to make the first 2 or 3 episodes before they see the sales figures, so they lose less on flops. Furthermore, the designers would have the benefit of the community's feedback for the next episodes. Everyone wins.

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 05:39
Episodes? Eh?
What about multiplayer games? Alright Idea, but only for SP games. But Id rather just a complete game.

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 05:41
I think this guy sums up the effect of warz on the pc gaming industry pretty well

"The threat to PC Gaming (at least presently) is not Consoles although... ok they have bit into the sales as before decent consoles to play a decent game with decent graphics (which is what "latch" most consumers) the PC was pretty much it.

The threat to PC Gaming is not a lacking in Sports, RPG's, ADV's, Flight Sims, Race Games, RTS's etc.

Knowbody seems to get it other than IronRod who quite obviously has been in this industry and quite likely still has connections in it. Or, perhaps he reads or listens to the Radio?

The "death" of PC Gaming is not going to come due to lack of publishers wanting to produce them of developers wanting to develop them.

The "death" comes from retail storefronts saying. "We're not going to bother to carry them".

If it happens soon, then the platform dies soon.

If it takes 5 years then it'll be in 5 years. At least in the form "we know gaming". Doesnt mean online games with pay per play or reoccurring billing wont pop up though I personally think the X-Box II and PS/3 will end up ruling the "online market" as well.

Again, doesnt take functional brain cells to figure this stuff out. If stores cant sell the stuff due to people buying illegit mass replicated copies, if people return things and those returns outweigh stocking the stuff being worthwhile... All the factors lumped all together equate to "Console games will make more or DVD videos will make more" at EB, Gamestop, Walmart, BestBuy why would they stock PC games?

You'll see no mention of BestBuy dropping Norton Anti Virus or Office XP etc.

Perhaps the GG's need turn on the Radio as again, last week The US Federal Attorney Generals Offices (John Ashcroft) stated that the three biggest problems on the Internet the Federal Government is coming after in force.

1. Consumer credit card fraud
2. Illegally Replicated Software thats resold.
3. Sale of stolen goods.

For illegally replicated software to even MAKE THE LIST means there is an absolutely ENORMOUS problem.

The PC Games indsutry (as reported in fact a few issues back in PC Gamer as I recall) is stating 3 BILLION in losses due to illegit replication. Get that 3 BILLION back in the industry and PC game will be nice and healthy and you'll have Wunderba games. I do not know the "total revenues" of the PC Games indsutry. I'd however bet 3 BILLION dollars is at very least 25% and quite possibly as high as 33% of ALL revenues. Its just an unbelievable amount of dough"


So if DX:IW does turn out to be "consolized" you can smile and pat your self on the back for your contribution toward this end Quantum386

sparkle
25th Nov 2003, 05:54
Elder, I think your last thread was right on the money. ;)

Pirating games isn't good for anyone (even the person who pirates them). Go out and spend $50 on a game (or $80-$100 here in Aus) and you'll likely appreciate it more.

I just bought Need For Speed: Underground which came in pretty cheap for an aussie release (at $69.00 new release) and I'm loving it, love having the box sitting on my shelf along with the other bought games. Don't be a slug, and pay if you use the product.

I've been lucky enough to have a first hand look into the games industry.....not all companies make money....support your games industry, don't sap it's lifeline until it withers and dies (exactly what will happen if games are pirated out of existance). Artists get paid bugger all so dont assume the industry can support millions of people downloading free copies.

If you cant afford a game, wait for it to hit the bargain shelves. Stealing is bad, mmkay....in the end it comes back to hurt everybody.

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 05:56
Originally posted by Elder
I think this guy sums up the effect of warz on the pc gaming industry pretty well

"The threat to PC Gaming (at least presently) is not Consoles although... ok they have bit into the sales as before decent consoles to play a decent game with decent graphics (which is what "latch" most consumers) the PC was pretty much it.

The threat to PC Gaming is not a lacking in Sports, RPG's, ADV's, Flight Sims, Race Games, RTS's etc.

Knowbody seems to get it other than IronRod who quite obviously has been in this industry and quite likely still has connections in it. Or, perhaps he reads or listens to the Radio?

The "death" of PC Gaming is not going to come due to lack of publishers wanting to produce them of developers wanting to develop them.

The "death" comes from retail storefronts saying. "We're not going to bother to carry them".

If it happens soon, then the platform dies soon.

If it takes 5 years then it'll be in 5 years. At least in the form "we know gaming". Doesnt mean online games with pay per play or reoccurring billing wont pop up though I personally think the X-Box II and PS/3 will end up ruling the "online market" as well.

Again, doesnt take functional brain cells to figure this stuff out. If stores cant sell the stuff due to people buying illegit mass replicated copies, if people return things and those returns outweigh stocking the stuff being worthwhile... All the factors lumped all together equate to "Console games will make more or DVD videos will make more" at EB, Gamestop, Walmart, BestBuy why would they stock PC games?

You'll see no mention of BestBuy dropping Norton Anti Virus or Office XP etc.

Perhaps the GG's need turn on the Radio as again, last week The US Federal Attorney Generals Offices (John Ashcroft) stated that the three biggest problems on the Internet the Federal Government is coming after in force.

1. Consumer credit card fraud
2. Illegally Replicated Software thats resold.
3. Sale of stolen goods.

For illegally replicated software to even MAKE THE LIST means there is an absolutely ENORMOUS problem.

The PC Games indsutry (as reported in fact a few issues back in PC Gamer as I recall) is stating 3 BILLION in losses due to illegit replication. Get that 3 BILLION back in the industry and PC game will be nice and healthy and you'll have Wunderba games. I do not know the "total revenues" of the PC Games indsutry. I'd however bet 3 BILLION dollars is at very least 25% and quite possibly as high as 33% of ALL revenues. Its just an unbelievable amount of dough"


So if DX:IW does turn out to be "consolized" you can smile and pat your self on the back for your contribution toward this end Quantum386

Where's that from? Because it's crap. For one thing, the 3 billion figure is inherently inaccurate. There's no way to tabulate how many copies were downloaded, and out of those how many would have been bought if piracy were not an option. Also, I've never seen a place in the States selling illegal copies of games. Most piracy is people just downloading them for free. No one actually makes any money from it, as opposed to, say, China, where there are shops dedicated to selling illegal copies. I'm not saying that piracy is not a problem, just that there's no way to know how big a problem it is.

I have little sympathy for them as long as they refuse to combat piracy in other ways than paying (and passing the cost along to me) for useless, ineffective copy protection which in fact lowers the performance of legal copies.

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 06:00
Originally posted by Woggy
What about multiplayer games?]

Multiplayer-only games are generally not subject to piracy; they require valid accounts.


Originally posted by Woggy
But Id rather just a complete game.

Then just wait for the compilation release. You'll know it's good, because it if wasn't it wouldn't have gotten that far, and each episode has been reviewed.

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 06:04
Originally posted by Lysander



I have little sympathy for them as long as they refuse to combat piracy in other ways than paying (and passing the cost along to me) for useless, ineffective copy protection which in fact lowers the performance of legal copies.

this is the way our economy works...all those people who drive without car insurance, all the people who get hurt and go to the hospital with out medical insurance, all the fufu law suits, ect....who do you think pays for that? We do in the form of higher insurrance..

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 06:08
Originally posted by Elder
this is the way our economy works...all those people who drive without car insurance, all the people who get hurt and go to the hospital with out medical insurance, all the fufu law suits, ect....who do you think pays for that? We do in the form of higher insurrance..

Actually, we only pay higher insurance costs for fraud, and maybe some of the lawsuits. I would bet that people who don't know when to stop drinking cost us more than lawsuits.

But you missed my point entirely. It's like the publishers pay for a construction team to put in iron bars, then leave the door open. They pay (and make us pay) for protection that is totally ineffective, and they know it. That's just stupid.

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 06:16
Originally posted by Lysander

But you missed my point entirely. It's like the publishers pay for a construction team to put in iron bars, then leave the door open. They pay for protection that is totally ineffective, and they know it. That's just stupid.

Sorry if i missed your point...But i do agree with the above statement..It wokrs for Multiplayer games like you said in the post above but in the singleplayer game its just a token attempt to make theaverage computer not want to try and burn a copy for his brother in law to try..

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 06:19
Originally posted by Elder
It wokrs for Multiplayer games like you said in the post above but in the singleplayer game its just a token attempt to make theaverage computer not want to try and burn a copy for his brother in law to try..

Right, if you're trying to do something and one way doesn't work, you try a different way, no? Not if you're a game company.

NamelessOne
25th Nov 2003, 06:20
Originally posted by Lysander
I have little sympathy for them as long as they refuse to combat piracy in other ways than paying (and passing the cost along to me) for useless, ineffective copy protection which in fact lowers the performance of legal copies.

What other ways? I'd like to hear your alternatives.

Quantum386
25th Nov 2003, 06:41
Yeah... I think we've all gone a little bit out-of-topic here :p
but either way, I guess I will play the "wait and see" game. :D

Lysander
25th Nov 2003, 06:52
Originally posted by NamelessOne
What other ways? I'd like to hear your alternatives.

You mean an alternative to doing something that doesn't work? How about they stop doing it?

Did you read my above post? If you want more that that, you'll have to wait. I have a paper due in a few hours. I shouldn't even be doing this now.

NamelessOne
25th Nov 2003, 06:58
Originally posted by Lysander
You mean an alternative to doing something that doesn't work? How about they stop doing it?

Did you read my above post? If you want more that that, you'll have to wait. I have a paper due in a few hours. I shouldn't even be doing this now.

And why stop doing it? It stops the average joe from copying his game to give to his friends. It annoys warez people who have to have cracks, and delays the the warez release by a day or two. And going by the reaction of many gamers on this board in response to the demo delay, a day or two is a long time.

As to your idea, I don't see how downloadable episodes would stop piracy. People would simply download the episode and distribute it over the internet.

You're relying on your assumption that people will pirate a $50 game but not a $15 game, which I don't believe is true.

HKRaven
25th Nov 2003, 09:58
So, how much did Microsoft pay you to focus on Xbox?



None i'd bet seens IS wanted to make a XBOX port and not the other way around. Im begining to think that the PC community is "living in denial" over the fact that the dev's might *HAVE WANTED TO CHANGE THE GAME!!* and their "vision" isnt the same as the "hardcore" players wanted it to be.

Francly i've started to ignore the "It's all XBOXs fault even though PC got 1000 different hardware configs that makes a hell for the dev's seens they have to think up a middle solution that works on all machines and thus making em all "fall short" " threads :p



And as for the skills,leaning and such, they can all easily have been put on XBOX if the Devs wanted to put em in. Storage spaces isnt a problem(6gb DVDs and 8gb Hard drive) nor is the "power" of the console. If it can run TES:MW it can easily run a graphicly and codewise inferior game like DX:IW

Random
25th Nov 2003, 12:25
Besides getting way off topic, Eidos doesn't tolerate warez discussions for obvious reasons. They're a games company, after all ...

Check the forum rules, guys. You agreed to them. ;)