PDA

View Full Version : Ion Storm forum down for repairs!?

sparkle
25th Nov 2003, 02:52
I wonder if the forums are really down for 'repairs' or wether they are going into damage mode and will be editing posts?

I sure as hell hope they don't censor or edit any posts! This would indicate to the fans that Ion Storm are no better then the shady organisations they put into the deus ex games! Lets hope they are bigger than that, and leave our opinions unchanged and un-altered.

It reminds me of CGtalk.com forums, they got in heaps of strife over censoring posts!

And what's with the silent treatment from the admins/devs etc. There is public outcry on the forums (many forums at that) and they have remained virtually silent the whole time. Do they really care so little for their customers?

All the silent treatment from the devs does is add fuel to the fire.....so many of these concerns are going un-answered or are merely discarded by the devs. This basically sends a big 'up-yours' to the community, and the cycle is repeated (the ripple effect).

Please dont assume that you shouldnt address the concerns of your loyal fanbase, we will be the people digging deep into our pockets and paying for your game. We are your customers, and we do not like being ignored. The internet is too small for you guys to assume you can just ignore the majority who are unhappy with the outcome of the game (as seen thus far).

Either assure us the features that are being so severely blasted (of which there are many) will not be in the final game, or tell us that the game will ship exactly as per the demo. This will enable those of us who like the game as it is to continue supporting the game, and those of us who are dissappointed to move on and look at more suitable products.

Thankyou.

Random
25th Nov 2003, 03:01
Originally posted by sparkle
And what's with the silent treatment from the admins/devs etc.

From what I saw they responded pretty openly. Krypt made many posts in response to concerns. But personally, I understand if they don't want to post too much considering how they've been treated. Constructive criticism -- hell even criticism -- is fine, but mindless flaming, death threats, etc is ridiculous.

Revixter
25th Nov 2003, 03:08
What do you expect from a fanbase of adolescent males?

Strijder
25th Nov 2003, 03:09
I wonder if the forums are really down for 'repairs' or wether they are going into damage mode and will be editing posts?

Leave the conspiracy theory for playing the game itself. :rolleyes: If they were really interested in doing that, wouldn't they have done it to this forum first, since it's the one linked off the official game website?

Related note: The forums are loading much faster here now... thank you Eidos :)

endresults
25th Nov 2003, 03:12
Yes...Down for repairs....

How naive are you people?

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 03:12
I agree with what Random said....Ive noticed the boards have been supper slow since the day of the demo release and ive looked at the "who's online menu....I dont think there set up to handle the amount of traffic they are getting and the site is just bogged down...That said i would welcome the board being cleaned up.....not sensored just keep the "feedback" in one thread not 300 new members posting there own hit list....Im really looking foward to hearing some offical response from ion...Mostly i want some one to say " ya the game is still going to be at your door step on dec 3" and im guessing this will occur on the ion boards.
:)

Geist
25th Nov 2003, 03:13
I wondered the same thing about the forum...

@Random yeah the criticisms were out of hand.

I would just like ot know though if the game will or will not be fixed before its release (just like sparkle said).

In my siutation one of the main reasons I am buying the ATI Radeon 9600 pro card is for IW. I mean hl2 is alright but my main games were DX and MoH.

However I cannot say that the game is either good or bad; I also can't even play the demo...

...therefore I am like the confused philosophy on Royal Canadian Air Farce...

Geist

Jesus, P.I.
25th Nov 2003, 03:16
I agree with Random. I did not so much like what I saw in the demo, and I am not afraid of being critical of the developers. However, mindless flaming (no I can't really say one side has done this more than another) and death threats bother me for several reasons:

1). Ion Storm worked hard on that game. While it may not be perfect, it provides a very good base that just needs some modifications. That is why I am in support of a small delay in release.

2). In NO case is any computer game worth anyone's life. While I know that the vast majority of people are joking when they threaten the developers, in some cases the threats are disturbingly detailed...

3). Threats/random flaming are quite counter-productive to what us "bashers" are trying to achieve. Neither Ion Storm or Eidos have any real reason to listen to our complaints unless we are civil with our criticism.

4). Chris Carollo (did I spell that wrong? sorry) and Krypt have been quite forthcoming in the forums. While I think maybe Krypt should have paid more attention to the fact that he speaks for a company and needs to watch what he says, he did apologize when he realized that people took his posts as being a touch beligerent.

I happen to disagree with almost everything that both have said, but I appreciate them at least saying it.

sparkle
25th Nov 2003, 03:18
Hi Random

thanks for your response, yes I agree, no one should be hurling abuse or threatning the dev team.

This serves only to make the community look like a bunch of spoiled children, and does nothing to validate the concerns being raised time and again.

What I am saying is that the dev team could do a lot more to alleviate the situation as it is on these forums, by releasing a statement addressing the entire community in a productive, informative way.

The occasional short snappy answer (and often written with a 'we dont care, the game is made how we wanted it' type mentality) does nothing to build further support from this community.

I understand that the team has come under heavy fire for releasing the demo that many felt was sub-standard for a game bearing the Deus Ex logo (and indeed, sub-standard as a PC game in general), I understand that the flaming at times is quite obnoxious.....but if we were addressed by someone who could tell us what is going on, many of the bickering would stop. We just want some indication of the direction this game will go in, post demo.

Cybersurfer
25th Nov 2003, 03:21
well all i know is that it took me aleast a about a minute to load every page , so mabey there fixing that, because the popularity {good or bad} went through the roof:D

Geist
25th Nov 2003, 03:24
.....but if we were addressed by someone who could tell us what is going on, many of the bickering would stop. We just want some indication of the direction this game will go in, post demo.

I agree.

~Geist

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 03:32
Originally posted by sparkle
Hi Random

thanks for your response, yes I agree, no one should be hurling abuse or threatning the dev team.

This serves only to make the community look like a bunch of spoiled children, and does nothing to validate the concerns being raised time and again.

What I am saying is that the dev team could do a lot more to alleviate the situation as it is on these forums, by releasing a statement addressing the entire community in a productive, informative way.

The occasional short snappy answer (and often written with a 'we dont care, the game is made how we wanted it' type mentality) does nothing to build further support from this community.
I understand that the team has come under heavy fire for releasing the demo that many felt was sub-standard for a game bearing the Deus Ex logo (and indeed, sub-standard as a PC game in general), I understand that the flaming at times is quite obnoxious.....but if we were addressed by someone who could tell us what is going on, many of the bickering would stop. We just want some indication of the direction this game will go in, post demo.

Im thinking ..today was probably the first day ISA was able to get together and discuss all the user feedback and there spending time coming up with a "cohesive answer"..I would imagine it will take some time to get everone one board and signed off on a "public statement"..

SK Denton
25th Nov 2003, 03:33
Minus the death threats IS deserved every flame they got and years upon years of more flames.

I am so sick of this "let's feel sorry for the big company" crap! Who cares if they worked hard? Who cares if they thought they did the right thing?

What about us - the faithful DX gamer who has been loyal to IS for years praising them for their genius? What about us gamers who have been enthusiastically waiting for the DX sequal only to be handed a compromised POS and then told too bad, deal with it? What about us faithful gamers who pre-ordered the game months in advance without any idea what the game would be like because of our trust in IS?

IS is in no way, shape or form a victim here! They screwed up BIG TIME and they deserve the harsh criticism that they receive.

Illuminati-IIS
25th Nov 2003, 03:33
Hopefully they're fixing the messageboards for the better (i.e. faster load times)

I think they need a few dedicated servers. A dual xeon would be nice :)

AlteredGlyph
25th Nov 2003, 04:03
Originally posted by SK Denton
What about us - the faithful DX gamer who has been loyal to IS for years praising them for their genius? What about us gamers who have been enthusiastically waiting for the DX sequal only to be handed a compromised POS and then told too bad, deal with it? What about us faithful gamers who pre-ordered the game months in advance without any idea what the game would be like because of our trust in IS?

Don't you mean you? I noticed that ever since you joined these boards, you've flamed ever single design decision IS has made, and stated numerous times that you aren't per-ordering.
On topic, I think that IS did a great job, except for the bugs that were easily tweakable.

SK Denton
25th Nov 2003, 04:12
Originally posted by AlteredGlyph
Don't you mean you? I noticed that ever since you joined these boards, you've flamed ever single design decision IS has made, and stated numerous times that you aren't per-ordering.
On topic, I think that IS did a great job, except for the bugs that were easily tweakable.

No, I mean the many, many, many folks across numerous boards that are as equally outraged as I am.

Mehrunes
25th Nov 2003, 04:18
I'm still highly anticipating the release of DX2. I support IS, and overall I'm happy with what I've seen so far. If other people are not happy, can not be constructive and can not understand the basic premise behind voting with your wallet than I can do little more than pity them.

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 04:39
its back up...with a new look too...

sparkle
25th Nov 2003, 04:44
I think it unfair to criticize the artists and dev team when they have obviously put years of hard work into the game. Anyone that has ever worked on a game would know how difficult and tiresome it can be.

The faults with the game that I see are not artistic faults per se but more decision faults. This covers a wide range of faults, so lets get a few together so we can perhaps ask the dev team to answer them.

Firstly, one of the glaring *faults* with the demo, was that it is obviously an Xbox conversion. Not necessarily a problem if your a console gamer who enjoys picking up a game and having a bash after work or school or whatever you do. BUT....we are PC gamers and there is an often overlooked difference! Many of us are adults who enjoy the sophistication of PC games as opposed to our 'appeal to the lowest common denominator' console cousins', and hence expect far more of our games than sloppy ports. We tend to be the type of gamer who is fairly passionate about our games, with a fair understanding on what makes a game special. Many of us have been around the traps long enough to seperate the 'hype' from the 'must-have' releases.

This then leads to the first question I would like to have answered when the dev team are able to, and that is:

1. Is the demo released recently for PC the Xbox version, or are the two the same? If they are the same, will the PC version receive final tweaking before release (location specific damage, hi-res textures, more detailed bump mapping etc?).

This first question is also related to the decision faults I mentioned before, because I would like to know wether Ion Storm were under pressure from Microsoft or any other 3rd party in some of the decisions that were made in regards to this. It would be a shame if they had to relinquish some of the idea's due to outside pressure. I know the games industry sometimes sacrifices creativity for sure money, and I feel perhaps this is the case in this instance. Whilst making a game for the masses is probably the better decision financially, a poor over-hyped game will be remembered far longer than the money ever will.

2. Will the HUD, huge font, unified ammo, lack of reloading and lack of leaning remain in the final product, or will this be amended for the PC version?

3. What features are missing from the original marketing info we were given? (This is important as it indicates some of the decisions that affected the game).

Guys, please ad more questions if you see fit, many of them have been asked before (like the two above) but seeing as though there are so many posts, perhaps we could ask for a sticky post up top with a final list of questions. This would help IS to answer the questions without trawling through the many messages here.