PDA

View Full Version : We should have all seen this coming(PC gamer Sept. '03 issue)

Sindrel
25th Nov 2003, 01:20
In the short inteview they basicly stated they wanted less RPG elements and gear the game to more "mass-market"

Its a shame no one told Mr. Spector that you can make alot of money without dumbing a game down.

SK Denton
25th Nov 2003, 01:25
I saw it coming a long time ago, but everytime I tried to spread the message I would get flamed or the mods would threaten me. A few people here know what I am talking about.

Viking2
25th Nov 2003, 01:27
They've been saying things that displease the majority of us for much longer. However, I still had faith, until I played the demo. It's a testament to how good the original Deus Ex was that we all ignored the signs that were given to us, giving the game the benefit of the doubt. What a shame... Especially since all they would need to do was just fix a few things, mere annoyances, and it would be excellent.

I saw it coming a long time ago, but everytime I tried to spread the message I would get flamed or the mods would threaten me. A few people here know what I am talking about.
I'll say, SK, you were like the forbearer of bad news. I believe it was months that you were quoting the developer's words and so on and were saying how it would be bad. Seems like you were right.
"Those who say I told you so are usually winning"-someone famous whose name I forget
I guess you're winning now after all. I'm of your opinion now, though maybe not to the same extent.

buzzfunk
25th Nov 2003, 01:36
Well reviews should be coming out any day now.

I hope they let people review the game who liked the first one. I wouldnt mind an objective review as well but since im a huge fan, i want a huge fan to review it.

Jesus, P.I.
25th Nov 2003, 02:10
Originally posted by SK Denton

Well I noticed that some who flamed you in the past don't seem to post much after the demo came out.

After all, their favorite line used to be: wait until you have actually EXPERIENCED the gameplay before you make a judgement. Well, whatever happened to that? :D

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Nov 2003, 09:25
as I said in an other post, most people who where saying "this game will be crap" are still saying "this demo is crap", and most of those who said "this game will be awesome" still say "this demo is awesome"

nothing changed. both side are still as blind to the argument of the other side...

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 09:29
as I said in an other post, most people who where saying "this game will be crap" are still saying "this demo is crap", and most of those who said "this game will be awesome" still say "this demo is awesome"

Well actaully, I went into the demo thinking it would be crap, I played a bit and hated. I started playing it more and I found it to be pretty good really.

Pooeypants
25th Nov 2003, 13:47
As soon as I found out it was a simulataneous console and PC release (months back) I'd notched down my expectations of the game but ten fold. Recent interviews with WSpector did get my hopes up but the demo was err, not what I thought it would be.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Nov 2003, 15:35
Originally posted by Woggy
Well actaully, I went into the demo thinking it would be crap, I played a bit and hated. I started playing it more and I found it to be pretty good really.

(I knew some would say that. that's why I say "most")

Meteor_of_War
25th Nov 2003, 15:59

Same with me. Didnt like it at first, but it grew on me.

I still think it doesnt compare to the first DX though...where's my skill points?!!

gord
25th Nov 2003, 16:14
i went in thinking it would be good, like most, came out disappointed, came to see what other people thought, realised loads of people hated it, so i went back to play more, and now i kinda like it

now with people saying the different methods they use, i didnt realise how much i had left out

Psychotext
25th Nov 2003, 16:24
I would agree... Whilst testing out the mods and map editing I have probably played the demo more than most here. I realised after a while that I could just ignore the things I dont like and get on with having fun.

That doesn't make it right, but it does make it easier for me to swallow my dissapointment.

Robosapiens
25th Nov 2003, 16:47

That's about my experience with the first game :)

Dr Strangelove
25th Nov 2003, 16:58
I can't play the demo (I'm poing to get a new computer in the new year) but it does seem to me that a fair few of the complaints do centre around it not being DX1 rather than not being any good. That said, there is something quite seriously wrong with any demo that creates this degree of dislike.

Meteor_of_War
25th Nov 2003, 17:49
Most people expect a sequel to have everything the first game had and more.

The demo shows that ION Storm has abandoned a lot of the great features from DX1 when making IW.

ThorsHamburger
25th Nov 2003, 18:31
You know I could live with alot of the changes, especially since I have been tweaking the game it has really started to get in some ways. But the biggest problem this game has is that the AI is so bad and illogical that playing the game kinda doesnt make sense.
THis game if anything should have solid logical AI since it really is a game about character interaction and story. How could this fundemental, and so important thing be bothced.

Still staying positive, hoping the game turns out right.

Klown
26th Nov 2003, 01:20
for me its a lot of little things that added up. things like

-no holster button: sure you can holster by clicking on the weapon slot again, but what about things like the multitool that are not assigned to a slot? sure ill love to pulling out my pistol in public to holster my multitool.

lack of leaning: running around the corner when your a sneaker in dx1 would have gotten a bullet in your face. now that leaning has been removed either the ai has been dumbed down so you can run out and look, or playing as a sneaker has been set back a blow.

illogical ai: so i can shoot the guard in the face and he wont care, but if i hack the atm he will go ape*****? it also seems the bartender doesnt care if you take his kegs and throw them at him or other people.

bad interface: intrusive, bulky, and all around anoying.

the graphics dont bug me. the lack of reload doesnt bother me. the unified ammo irks me, but is not showstopping. while i am worried about the apparent lack of skills, i dont know about that. the hacking computer tutorial (i use the term loosely) says there are several levels to the hacking skill. so there might be others.

basically its these things that stop me from putting dx2 on my chistmas list.