PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA performance tips

Psycho999
24th Nov 2003, 22:27
The more I play of the demo, the more I am coming to like the game. The only problem I still have with it is the appalling performance problems that many nVidia card owners seem to be experiencing. Is there any word from the devs as to whether this is going to be addressed before released, or any hints as to getting the game to run smoothly (preferably without turning all the graphics options down). I recently bought Max Payne 2, and Call of Duty, both of which I can run at 1280*1024 with absolutely maximum detail, and I get no slow down whatsoever. I'm still getting slow down on DX2 running at 800*600 and everything set to medium. Personally, I don't think that is acceptable, considering it does not look any better than the games I just mentioned.

Pooeypants
24th Nov 2003, 23:12
The game runs *****ely on all but the close top end cards (FX5800 or better, R9700 or better) so I think we'll just have to wait for a patch to optimise the game...

Psycho999
24th Nov 2003, 23:26
But I have an FX5900 Ultra (256mb), and it still runs like *****e!

xarax
24th Nov 2003, 23:36
Originally posted by Psycho999

Sweet! :) What did it cost?

eyeronik
25th Nov 2003, 01:01
It's just a dreadful engine, I don't know why they made it like this and why they think everyone owns the very top end cards, it's a minority that does. Even with the top end cards it's not as if it's going to look like the greatest game ever, they should of just used UT2003 engine or some other engine that actually works.

tas42
25th Nov 2003, 01:08
Originally posted by Pooeypants
The game runs *****ely on all but the close top end cards (FX5800 or better, R9700 or better) so I think we'll just have to wait for a patch to optimise the game...

runs fine on my gf4ti4200, about 30 fps on next to highest res and 4x multisampling. about 45 fps on 800x600 with same 4x, and thats with 4 or so programs running in the backround.

on a side not, wtf exactly is multisampling?

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 09:29
Originally posted by tas42
runs fine on my gf4ti4200, about 30 fps on next to highest res and 4x multisampling. about 45 fps on 800x600 with same 4x, and thats with 4 or so programs running in the backround.

on a side not, wtf exactly is multisampling?

That must be some Geforce 4200 you have there, beats out my 5900 U (Dets 52.16) easily.
Just for curiosities sake, could you get a screen grab with fraps at this spot with framerate visible....Thanks

http://grac3r.customer.netspace.net.au/DX2.jpg

Thats with no AA/AF (Multisampling x1) @ 800x600
On my P4 3ghz with 512 DDR / 5900 U.

Worst running game ever :eek:

BTW Multisampling is AA (Antialiasing)

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 09:31
Heh, my P4 3.3Ghz and Geforce 3 gets like 8-12fps in there (640x480), and I get 17fps in the beggining of the game when you look at the first guard and all the barrels and stuff. Ah well.

ABRAXAAS
25th Nov 2003, 09:31
Originally posted by GrAC3R
That must be some Geforce 4200 you have there, beats out my 5900 U (Dets 52.16) easily.
Just for curiosities sake, could you get a screen grab with fraps at this spot with framerate visible....Thanks

http://grac3r.customer.netspace.net.au/DX2.jpg

maybee you have the worst runing computer ever. im using a radeon9800 pro128 AMD2.01ghz just a tad over a gig of ram, and i run the game at 1280x1024 full multisampling and i get more than acceptable frame rates and it looks fantastic. oh and thats with bloom off.

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 09:33
Some people just seem to be lucky, because other people with a similar system to yours seem to have problems too :confused:

ABRAXAAS
25th Nov 2003, 09:34
Originally posted by Woggy
Some people just seem to be lucky, because other people with a similar system to yours seem to have problems too :confused:

well i did make it myslef, i dont have a dell or a compaq lol thats probably half the troube right there.

"Dude your gettin a DELL.....Dude im gettin screwed!"

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 09:34
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
maybee you have the worst runing computer ever. im using a radeon9800 pro128 AMD2.01ghz just a tad over a gig of ram, and i run the game at 1280x1024 full multisampling and i get more than acceptable frame rates and it looks fantastic. oh and thats with bloom off.

Hardly, anything else runs just fine, I had bloom off as is obvious in the pic. Talk is cheap back it up with a picture, even the lads at Rage 3D with their 9800's can't maintain the frame rates you claim to :rolleyes:

ABRAXAAS
25th Nov 2003, 09:35
Hardly, anything else runs just fine, I had bloom of as is obvious in the pic. Talk is cheap back it up with a picture, even the lads at Rage 3D with their 9800's can't maintain the frame rates you claim to :rolleyes:

Ok i will
;)

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 09:37
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
Ok i will
;)

With full MS x4 of course too...lol...can't wait
Oh a full size pic would also be great.

scottws
25th Nov 2003, 09:39
"The way it's meant to be played" my ***.

ABRAXAAS
25th Nov 2003, 09:48
how the hell do you take a screenshot i cant find any info on it?

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 09:53
You get fraps and set it up that way..
Or u could use the games in- built fps counter (i'm sure it has one its based on the UT engine afterall), then printscreen and paste it into Photoshop or similar....easy :)

mvrander
25th Nov 2003, 09:55
Use fraps for frame rate and I think fraps allows you to take a screenie, don't quote me on it though.

The engine used in dx:iw is a modified version of the unreal engine just so people know.

I think amount of RAM makes a masive difference to performance in this game far more than most, which is odd since it was designed to run on an x-box which I didn't think was too hot on the ram side.

EDIT: see the post above mine, I wish I typed faster.

ABRAXAAS
25th Nov 2003, 09:57
Originally posted by mvrander
Use fraps for frame rate and I think fraps allows you to take a screenie, don't quote me on it though.

The engine used in dx:iw is a modified version of the unreal engine just so people know.

I think amount of RAM makes a masive difference to performance in this game far more than most, which is odd since it was designed to run on an x-box which I didn't think was too hot on the ram side. '

If the only way i can do it is with fraps than screw it, i dont keep mysytem running smooth by installing crap softwear.

No matter i have nothing to prove.

ThorsHamburger
25th Nov 2003, 10:01
Heres my capture. 800x600 , multisampling 1x, no AA or AF.
http://members.rogers.com/seanmo/dx.jpg

I loose about 3-4 fps each step from 1x-2x-4x-6x multisamling. And I loose about 8-10 fps going up each resolution step. I can play the game nice at 1024x768, 2x multisampling. Any higher than that and the mouse lag becomes bad. The frames are fine but you loose control of your character to much as well.

P4 2.8
1GB RAM
ATI 9700pro + cat 3.9 drivers.

Edit: I have the original if you want to see it full size. I wont leave it uncompressed though, it's too big that way.

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 10:06
Geeeez never saw that one coming.

Enjoy your DX2 @ 1280x1024 with x4 MS @ 4fps or whatever you deluded yourself into believing is a "more than acceptable frame rate" :D

For the record FRAPS is widely used piece of software, most certainly not your usual spyware infested / resource hogging "crap". Though your entitled to your opinion no matter how misinformed.

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 10:09
Originally posted by ThorsHamburger
Heres my capture. 800x600 , multisampling 1x, no AA or AF.
<SNIP>

I loose about 3-4 fps each step from 1x-2x-4x-6x multisamling. And I loose about 8-10 fps going up each resolution step. I can play the game nice at 1024x768, 2x multisampling. Any higher than that and the mouse lag becomes bad. The frames are fine but you loose control of your character to much as well.

P4 2.8
1GB RAM
ATI 9700pro + cat 3.9 drivers.

Edit: I have the original if you want to see it full size. I wont leave it uncompressed though, it's too big that way.

Full size would be nice, mouse lag is no issue for me, did you try:

MouseLagThreshold=0

Less .Jpg compression too please, I'm a picky bugger....all those artifacts makes it hard to see if someones just done a counter cut and paste job in Photoshop, not that you did ;)
Was that full gfx details as well? Shadows ect.

ThorsHamburger
25th Nov 2003, 10:14
Here it is.

http://members.rogers.com/seanmo/DX.jpg

I have had a look for mouse lag in my user.ini, but the format of it is all messed up and not in nice order like a .ini file normally is. I tried deleting it and restarting,so it would create a new user.ini, but the format was the same and word wrap didnt help.
I would like to modify my game, but without being able to sort through the ini file easliy its tough.

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 10:18
Cheers 4 that..

The mouse lag option is in the "Default.ini" file.

mvrander
25th Nov 2003, 10:18
I believe mouslagthreshold setting is in default.ini in the demo install dir, not either of the two user.ini files.

Sorted all my lag probs out when i set it to 0.

edit:dag nammit stop posting the same as me 30 seconds faster ;-)

ThorsHamburger
25th Nov 2003, 10:25
http://members.rogers.com/seanmo/DX1.jpg

Thanks for the tip, im going to try out some modding now, maybe I can run it even higher if the mouse lag is gone.

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 10:58
http://grac3r.customer.netspace.net.au/DX21.jpg

:D :D :D :D

Bloom is on with x2 Multisampling, full details @ 1024x768

Also, Thor why is your fps display on the edge of the screen width wise? Odd, cause Fraps doesn't appear to position it so close, as seen here from various peoples grabs:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=1332421689#post1332421689

Did you crop the pic at all?

Uvorn Knejt
25th Nov 2003, 11:53
Originally posted by Psycho999

Hey I have one of those and my DXIW also runs like crap!

Although I downed and installed a DXIW demo tweak program (basically just an easier way to mod the demo, for those of us without skills) and it improves performance quite a bit, but not spectacularly. I am able to play the game at 1280X1024 with max detail, no bloom (looks crappy anyway) and 2xFSAA.

Get it here http://www.planetdeusex.com/ Beware germans made it and we all know what that means don't we? Well not exactly other than it will probably be in german and quite difficult to understand unless you are from germany or for some odd reason speak german, like for instance you learned it in school, much against your own will I might add!

XsNrG
25th Nov 2003, 12:23

Thats odd m8....

I got round about the same fps on mine..

Athlon xp 2.8
1 gig of ddr
Geforce4 ti 4400

Ok, i got more ram than u, but surely u having a better gpu + cpu (at least in ghz) should mean u should get a much better framerate...:confused:

rickx
25th Nov 2003, 16:06
Hi,

I have two cards and I don't know wich one I should use. I have a nvidia fx 5600 with 256 mb ram and a geforce 4 ti4200 8X AGP with 128 mb ram. could anyone tell me wich one I should use?

my other specs are
p4 2.8 800mhz
512 mb ram
120 gb hardrive

thanks for the help!

mgeorge
25th Nov 2003, 16:23
Has anyone heard of a new driver for Nvidia cards coming out at the end of the month? It seems like I heard this on Tech TV or somewhere. I got an FX 5200 PCI (sob!) and heard that a new driver might improve performance on it. Is that true, or am I doomed cause although I can play the game, it's pretty slow, and the graphics definately need improving. It's weird because I play Splinter Cell, Mafia, Nolf 2 and they all look great at 800 X 600 high detail. Mafia even defaults to 1028 X 768 and looks great. Thanks.

ThorsHamburger
25th Nov 2003, 17:16
[IMG]

Also, Thor why is your fps display on the edge of the screen width wise? Odd, cause Fraps doesn't appear to position it so close, as seen here from various peoples grabs:

I have no idea why it's like that. IT has always been that way. I use the latest version of the fraps website. You can tell if you look the size it's not cropped.

Frog25
25th Nov 2003, 20:10
The only reason this game runs like crap is because of those bump maps they use on the odd surface (Check the barrels out) The bump maps they use are poorly optimised and do not utilise current hardware. What this means is that if you dont have the power for them (Top of the range Graphics chip) then you computer will compensate with the processor. This means you get low frame rate. This problems comes from the fact that the game does not seem to use standard bumpmaps but something that the programmers bodged together. They call them normal maps. Until i can find out how to disable them expect low frame rates

mgeorge
25th Nov 2003, 20:46
Thanks folks. Here's another one for you if anyone would care to answer. I put this fx 5200 card in the bottomPCI slot when I installed it, and called their tech dept. today. I was told I would get better performance with the card if I installed it in the top PCI slot. They said there is more power there or something. Before I go through that hassle, do you guys think it's worth the time to re-install it or should I just leave it where it is? Thanks guys, you have been great!

ThorsHamburger
25th Nov 2003, 21:28
Originally posted by mgeorge
Thanks folks. Here's another one for you if anyone would care to answer. I put this fx 5200 card in the bottomPCI slot when I installed it, and called their tech dept. today. I was told I would get better performance with the card if I installed it in the top PCI slot. They said there is more power there or something. Before I go through that hassle, do you guys think it's worth the time to re-install it or should I just leave it where it is? Thanks guys, you have been great!

Your joking...right:confused: You bought a PCI video card? Do they even make a fx5200 PCI video card.

mgeorge
25th Nov 2003, 22:09
Yes they do. Some of us can't afford a new comp. every year, so we have to do with what we have.

XsNrG
26th Nov 2003, 11:35
I was told I would get better performance with the card if I installed it in the top PCI slot. They said there is more power there or something. Before I go through that hassle, do you guys think it's worth the time to re-install it or should I just leave it where it is? Thanks guys, you have been great!

Its not really that much hassle just to move a graphics card tbh...but as to whether it will give u better perfomance i dont know. (I doubt it will give u a performance boost that would make a game suddenly give you 'quake-like' frames per second)
I know ram can have correct placements that improves machine performance...i didnt know the same applied to pci's.

Pooeypants
26th Nov 2003, 22:56
Yes they do. Some of us can't afford a new comp. every year, so we have to do with what we have.
Mobos with AGP support have been around for like 3 years or more...

mgeorge
27th Nov 2003, 15:14
If you know what you're doing. When I bought the computer less than 2 years ago, I didn't even know what an AGP slot would be for, so didn't know that it would be something I would need. Now I know but I can't afford a new one right now. Same as DDR. I don't have that either. You live, you learn.

Pooeypants
27th Nov 2003, 15:35
If you know what you're doing. When I bought the computer less than 2 years ago, I didn't even know what an AGP slot would be for, so didn't know that it would be something I would need. Now I know but I can't afford a new one right now. Same as DDR. I don't have that either. You live, you learn.
erm, 2 years ago I bought a computer system from what I now know as a crappy company who've been taken over. I didn't know what PCI and AGP were back then either. You probably bought from an even worse company them me. :rolleyes:

BadArm
27th Nov 2003, 17:23
The game runs *****ely on all but the close top end cards (FX5800 or better, R9700 or better) so I think we'll just have to wait for a patch to optimise the game

Do any of you computer smart guys know for certain if this is even possible? I've played the demo quite a bit too, and I'm also getting to like the game. But it's performance is just too weak to make me buy it. No matter how good of a game the full version may be, having to play it with low video graphics will make me not enjoy it. So does anyone know for certain if it's possible for IS to fix it? Assuming they want to?

mgeorge
27th Nov 2003, 17:40
I did buy from a worse company. HP! They really suck and their cust. support sucks to! Like I said you live you learn, and the next time I will know. I'm gonna build one of my own, as I have learned a lot in 3 years and see how that goes.

ThorsHamburger
27th Nov 2003, 18:57
Originally posted by BadArm
Do any of you computer smart guys know for certain if this is even possible? I've played the demo quite a bit too, and I'm also getting to like the game. But it's performance is just too weak to make me buy it. No matter how good of a game the full version may be, having to play it with low video graphics will make me not enjoy it. So does anyone know for certain if it's possible for IS to fix it? Assuming they want to?

Yes it is possible to optimize how a map runs for example without sacificing looks.