PDA

View Full Version : help!

Tachyon
24th Nov 2003, 22:19
When i try to run the DX2 demo, i cant, so i cntrl+alt+Del. out of it and i get an error that reads
"engine requires video card with pixel shader 1.1 or greater capabilites"
and the game wont run!!
what is that? and how can i make the demo run?!
thanks!!

Elder
24th Nov 2003, 22:42
you know if you did a search you would find another five hundered threads on this topic....Sorry to inform ya but your geforce MX card is not supported by the game...Its to old and it lacks the hardware to run vertex and pixel shaders...you will need at least a geforce 3 or better vid card or a ati 8500

Tachyon
25th Nov 2003, 02:30
whoa whoa whoa
this game wasnt made to be supported by the Geforce 4?
i have a geforce 4 mx 440, and i dont understand why it wouldnt play..thats a damn nice card.
why wont it play?
cant i get that program?

Geist
25th Nov 2003, 02:42
...I kinda feel like a dad telling his son that his dog went to a big open area farm...

Tachyon, I have the same video card as you do. To be honest we have both been suckered by Nvidia into thinking that is a great video card. Supposedly even some geforce 3 cards are better than the g4 MX series.

I am told that the card we have is just a variation of the Gefore 2 chipset. Therefore only slightly better and Nvidia just slapped on a fancy name.

I like you will have to buy a new video card. I am going to buy the ATI Radeon 9600 PRO. It supports direct x 9 and it is at a reasonable price for its abilities. Plus because I feel so suckered by Nvidia I will never buy their card again.

Sorry man,

Geist

PhthaloType
25th Nov 2003, 02:43
There are two different lines of the GF4, the MX and the TI. IW requires the pixel shader for its fancy lighting. The GF4 MX is basically a beefed-up GF2, so it doesn't have all the feautures that the TI does (like pixel shader)...

Edit: Ghosted... and I'm also getting the 9600 Pro...

Tachyon
25th Nov 2003, 02:45
well........crap
im sad now...
what is the minimum graphics card that will support IW?

GuyBrush-Threepwood
25th Nov 2003, 02:48
geforce 3

edit: also was i tricked by nivida's skechy marketing. but now i have the 9600 pro and it runs the demo very well :)

PhthaloType
25th Nov 2003, 02:49
I don't mind, but I'm pretty sure it's against the rules...

I believe the minimum is the GF3 or greater (excluding the GF4 MX :( ), and I'm not sure which Radeon.

Tachyon
25th Nov 2003, 02:51
well poo
its sounding like my old geforce 2 woulda worked a little better lmao
sigh:(
thanks guys
sorry to sound rude..if i did

Geist
25th Nov 2003, 03:20
Not at all

I felt the same thing. Actually I was just really mad overall. I was base and bought my comptur from dell. Who also raved about the g4 MX.

Well if I do upgrade to my ATI Radeon 9600, I will toss my MX like a frissbee :D

btw...I would really consider looking at reviews and benchmarks about the 9600...in my research it looks like the best bang for the buck.

~Geist

Although if anyone wants to give me an all in wonder Radeon 9800...I will gladly take it:p

Sorry I mean the 9600 Pro when ever I referred to the 9600

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 03:25
Originally posted by Geist
Not at all

I felt the same thing. Actually I was just really mad overall. I was base and bought my comptur from dell. Who also raved about the g4 MX.

Well if I do upgrade to my ATI Radeon 9600, I will toss my MX like a frissbee :D

btw...I would really consider looking at reviews and benchmarks about the 9600...in my research it looks like the best bang for the buck.

~Geist

Although if anyone wants to give me an all in wonder Radeon 9800...I will gladly take it:p

man if i won the lotto i would give ya one... and Tachyon too...I have a 9800xt and the gfx look pretty nice.....though this game is taxing my rig like no other game to date...still the gfx are nice...very DX like and the real time lighting and shadows are somthing ive never seen in a game before...I think there going to ad new levels of atmosphere to the game play

Geist
25th Nov 2003, 03:28
I did not know they release the XT line yet?

Any thoughts on the 9600 Pro series versus the 9600 XT series? I would by 30 CAN more for the XT but after that its pointless...imo

~Geist

P.S. please start buying lotto tickets....:cool:

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 03:32
nVidia are ****heads for making the MX series of cards the way they are. They should have made em slightly beefed up GF3s instead.

GuyBrush-Threepwood
25th Nov 2003, 03:42
woggy the geforce 4 ti's are the beefed up g3's

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 03:50
You dont think :rolleyes:
Please reread my post

They should have made em slightly beefed up GF3s instead.
The Geforce4s Ti are alot more beefed up.

Elder
25th Nov 2003, 03:50
Originally posted by Geist
I did not know they release the XT line yet?

Any thoughts on the 9600 Pro series versus the 9600 XT series? I would by 30 CAN more for the XT but after that its pointless...imo

~Geist

P.S. please start buying lotto tickets....:cool:

The 9800XT has been out for a while now...I think that 9600XT has only been out for a shoet time ...but im not real sure..and im not real familiar with th 9600 card in general...i would look at some user reviews over at some hard ware site fourms...not the generic hardware site official review...but user experience...like
www.amdmb.com , overclockers.com, hardocp.com, rage3d.com, or nvnews.net

Tachyon
25th Nov 2003, 20:26
hey, thanks for the offer elder! lol
::rigs lotto::
lol
well, i may ask for a new card @ x-mas...
if not, i'll just play on my friend's comp:)