PDA

View Full Version : the reason behind the graphics and textures.

lyra
24th Nov 2003, 12:03
i smell a rat here. tomb raider ran like **** on nvidia cards and ran wonderfully on ATI cards. Nvidia FX series sucks with double fill rate, vertex shaders, pixelshaders 2.0 and some other stuff. therefore DEIW minimized on these things due to pressure from nvidia. i guess too many things got involved in deus ex after all.

HKRaven
24th Nov 2003, 12:59
Either that or the dev team was to lazy to make another set of textures. The XBOX got a Nvida Geforce card but i doubt that has alot to do with it seens it's already been said that the XBOX version will have it's own "set" of textures.

9of9
24th Nov 2003, 13:56
Or they could have just put in low-res textures to keep the download size to a minimum.

grendyl
24th Nov 2003, 15:01
those textures were disappointing to say the least. So were those talking faces attached to bodies.

FuriousNoob >:-(
24th Nov 2003, 15:24
Originally posted by grendyl
those textures were disappointing to say the least. So were those talking faces attached to bodies.

Are you referring to the bug eyes of all the NPCs. They all had this "Oops! I crapped my pants face" which i found very amusing.

grendyl
24th Nov 2003, 15:55
Originally posted by FuriousNoob >:-(
Are you referring to the bug eyes of all the NPCs. They all had this "Oops! I crapped my pants face" which i found very amusing.

lmao

XIII
24th Nov 2003, 19:08
Originally posted by 9of9
Or they could have just put in low-res textures to keep the download size to a minimum.
No they have to show the best they can in the demo.
Moreover, they wouldn't have included thief3 trailer which is worth 16MB!

lyra
24th Nov 2003, 19:57
i still stand by what i say. the game runs nicely (first DX9.0 game to run nicely on a fx5600) on nvidia cards. oh well whats done is done.....no point hoping for patches. a patch cant fix whats broken i.e the patch cant fix something that isnt meant to be there (good textures lol)

Pooeypants
24th Nov 2003, 21:11
Originally posted by lyra
i still stand by what i say. the game runs nicely (first DX9.0 game to run nicely on a fx5600) on nvidia cards. oh well whats done is done.....no point hoping for patches. a patch cant fix whats broken i.e the patch cant fix something that isnt meant to be there (good textures lol)
erm, DX2 only uses up directx 8.1 features so your card isn't being tested on PS2.0 performance. :p

Frog25
24th Nov 2003, 21:28
When we were first told about this game. one of the many features that were shown off in the screen shots was the bump maping. With bump mapping, hi res textures are not so nessary. But the poor old xbox cannot handle all those bump maps so they were remooved, This means that the xbox version did not look as good as the pc version. So they did the same to pc version and we are left with the crap we see now, simple.

(THEY WANTED BOTH XBOX AND PC VERSIONS TO LOOK THE SAME)

9of9
24th Nov 2003, 23:17
Originally posted by XIII
No they have to show the best they can in the demo.
Moreover, they wouldn't have included thief3 trailer which is worth 16MB!

True perhaps, but I remember when the UT2003 demo came out, the textures where only scaleable up to 'normal', I think (could've been higher, but there were definitely higher resolutions in the full game). Ditto for many other demos.

F3nyx
24th Nov 2003, 23:18
That's what I'm hoping for, 9of9...

AlteredGlyph
24th Nov 2003, 23:58
Originally posted by Frog25
When we were first told about this game. one of the many features that were shown off in the screen shots was the bump maping. With bump mapping, hi res textures are not so nessary. But the poor old xbox cannot handle all those bump maps so they were remooved, This means that the xbox version did not look as good as the pc version. So they did the same to pc version and we are left with the crap we see now, simple.

(THEY WANTED BOTH XBOX AND PC VERSIONS TO LOOK THE SAME)

Actually, there was never any bumpmapping in DX:IW, the technique they used was called Normal Mapping , not bumpmapping.

F3nyx
25th Nov 2003, 02:06
Yes, normal mapping is a type of bump mapping, and it's slightly higher quality I think, but not all that different.

The point is, its graphical role in the game has been greatly reduced. Which is a shame, because it really produced some amazing effects:

Normal Mapping 1 (http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/screenshots/pc/DX2_character1.jpg)

Normal Mapping 2 (http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/screenshots/pc/deusex2_1.jpg)

Oh, and check out the old Mako pistol (http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/screenshots/pc/DX2_character3.jpg). My god, the old weapon models had so much of a better look to them...

Check out what looks like the old shotgun and SMG (http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/screenshots/pc/DX2_character2.jpg). Those make the new ones look like cartoons, IMO.

Oh, and one more thing: look at these computer screens (http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/screenshots/pc/dx2_screen002.jpg). *sigh*

Sorry, nostalgia trip ending now...

lyra
25th Nov 2003, 02:09
erm, DX2 only uses up directx 8.1 features so your card isn't being tested on PS2.0 performance
thats because nvidia SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wasnt even worth upgrading then...ahahahahha losers who spent $300 on their systems to optimize em for DXIW

Woggy
25th Nov 2003, 02:13
I HATE THOSE BUG EYES
You CANT imagine how angry those bug eyes make me feel - I try to stay as little time as possible in the bar cause those eyes ****ing PISS ME OFF!!!
Why cant they have NORMAL eyes like in this screenshot?
Image of NPC with NORMAL EYES!! (http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/screenshots/pc/DX2_character2.jpg)

The eyelids have adjustable controlers right? Cant they make them close a bit? Also, it would be really nice if the people squinted in bright light. Shoudnt be that hard to do...
if(light==really really bright) && (eyelid > 0.4)
{
eyelid = 0.4;
}

You know, whatever :D

Mehrunes
25th Nov 2003, 03:38
i smell a rat here. tomb raider ran like **** on nvidia cards and ran wonderfully on ATI cards. Nvidia FX series sucks with double fill rate, vertex shaders, pixelshaders 2.0 and some other stuff. therefore DEIW minimized on these things due to pressure from nvidia. i guess too many things got involved in deus ex after all.

Actually, Nvidia cards have superior fillrate when multitexturing and creating stencil shadows, and the game doesn't use any pixelshader above 1.1 (not even 1.4) because that's all that's necessary for the lighting model.

crimson_stallion
25th Nov 2003, 11:00
Based on the comments about the game performance now, i;d hate to imagine how slow it would be if it DID have the option of higher res textures on the full version..

GrAC3R
25th Nov 2003, 11:31

thats because nvidia SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wasnt even worth upgrading then...ahahahahha losers who spent $300 on their systems to optimize em for DXIW

Well you've got that sussed, cluey boy, nothing gets by you.
Though I do have one question, now that "the reason behind the graphics and textures" has been solved by your great self.
Whats the reason behind your immaturity and blatant fanboyism?? Lack of life? friends? Braincells? Do tell Mr Lyra...

Uvorn Knejt
25th Nov 2003, 11:39
I agree.

If the final product does run as crappy as the demo it will absolutely die when/if hi-res textures are introduced! And with low-res textures and sluggish controls you've effectively turned your pc into a console! Mein got in himmel! that would be too horrific to conceive!

Ente
25th Nov 2003, 12:27
Look at the current performance in this close-quarter levels in the demo with low-res textures and now imagine performance in open areas with high-res textures....eeek :(