PDA

View Full Version : The new look....

Pequachino
24th Nov 2003, 10:32
Does anyone else feel like me that with the way Alex D (male version) looks i should be selling XTC to a rave crowd instead of saving the world?

Viking2
24th Nov 2003, 10:50
Yeah, definetely. Does he have a comb? I wonder... Maybe he can save the world, and then reinvent it.

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 10:56
OMG! now the character doesnt look right to you people, grow up now your just looking for things to complain about.:mad:

Darkhelm
24th Nov 2003, 11:01
Oh...my...God.

I rest my case :rolleyes:

GT123
24th Nov 2003, 11:22
I think the male character looks great. Heck...looks like he's got an Adam's apple....usually don't see that on male PC characters. I bet the female version will have big breasts...they always do...LOL

I think the artists did a super job!!!

Alex D....is a bad..***** ******

Gary

MDent
24th Nov 2003, 11:28
I'm going to edit the box cover showing Bill Gates holding an xbox controller towards the screen instead of a gun.

Viking2
24th Nov 2003, 11:38
Originally posted by Darkhelm
Oh...my...God.

I rest my case :rolleyes:

Dude... Chill. I'm just joking. To tell you the truth, the look of the character is the last thing that concerns me about the game. I'm not just finding something new to complain about. It's really just not important. Hell, look at JC. HE'S supposed to be 25??? Bull*****. He looks like he's 40. I just thought the hair might need work on Alex, but that's not even worth bringing up, let alone arguing about.

Wolfmage
24th Nov 2003, 11:47
A little less sombre and noir looking than the first game but who cares.... Kinda looks like they are going for a younger quasi-anime feel rather than the more serious Blade Runner / William Gibson style. But hey a lot of the game seems targetted at 'accessibility' and a mass audience so it is probably good to keep the appeal consistent...

Once you're in the game's dingy locals it is actually a good contrast imho. Makes for some amusing dialogue as well.

Xcom
24th Nov 2003, 12:37
I thought he came straight from Tony Hawk skateboarding game.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Nov 2003, 13:58
does he REALLY look like the boxart?

(screenshot, anybody?

Xcom
24th Nov 2003, 15:50
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
does he REALLY look like the boxart?

(screenshot, anybody?

Don't you have the demo?

http://www.matrixrain.com/misc/dx2_char.jpg

- Dude.. where's my car, dude? :D

Shinnosuke
24th Nov 2003, 16:34
It IS something to complain about.

A cool character will help your immersion and a crappy surfer idiot, who looks like the couldn't even finish elemnetary school satisfactory like this guy will repulse me out of the game.

This is the character I need to identofy with?

Deus Ex 1 had a slightly anonymous character-design. You could imagine it was you wearing the coat and walking around like a smooth dude.

Here you see the idiot or the butch girl and I can't identify with crap. I just hate the character avary moment I look and especially listen to him.

So YES, it is something to complain about.
If you pretentious arses want to sit on a high horse and pretend it shouldn't matter to anyone then go ahead. Just take a look at video gaming history, and film history and try to think of how many crappy characters were successful.

TheFlaminSheep
24th Nov 2003, 16:39
I guess i shouldnt judge untill i actualy play it but yeah, whats wrong with shades and a big black coat? O_o

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Nov 2003, 17:03
wow...

at least his eyes don't glow.

and I can't see a gun pointed at me...

it's better than the boxart.

though it's obvious he woke up in a hurry

(thank you Xcom. I have the demo, but I also have a GeForce 4Mx...)

dirigimaster
24th Nov 2003, 17:05
Originally posted by TheFlaminSheep
I guess i shouldnt judge untill i actualy play it but yeah, whats wrong with shades and a big black coat? O_o

It's cliche, that's what's wrong

Bonk
24th Nov 2003, 17:10
The new hero look doesnt look like the secret agent of the old game. He does look like someone from the Matrix 2 rave dance scene or look like a stoner looking for a party

His poor lip syncing and craptastic graphics look when talking to other NPCs really ruins the immersion of the game

DEWD WHERE'S MY CONSPIRACY?

:D

Shinnosuke
24th Nov 2003, 17:17
Originally posted by dirigimaster
It's cliche, that's what's wrong

Hahaha, that's rather pretentious. it's going to be quite a few years untill games can truly innovate, and even then compared to movies it will be cliched.

We are not looking for high art here, but for fun.

Plus, would you call Alex D's face high art?

Esquire
24th Nov 2003, 17:25
Originally posted by Xcom

http://www.matrixrain.com/misc/dx2_char.jpg

haahahhaa. my god. he looks old.

Bonk
24th Nov 2003, 17:27
He almost has this surprised look on his face. His mouth is opening too large almost like Monica on a date with Clinton in the White House :D

Shinnosuke
24th Nov 2003, 17:38
Originally posted by Bonk
He almost has this surprised look on his face. His mouth is opening too large almost like Monica on a date with Clinton in the White House :D

That must be how he convinces that guard so quickly to let you pass :rolleyes:

nimbus
24th Nov 2003, 21:56
Hey, maybe the other races/genders will look cooler. Who wants to be a spike-haired white-boy anyway?

Shinnosuke
24th Nov 2003, 22:04
Originally posted by nimbus
Hey, maybe the other races/genders will look cooler. Who wants to be a spike-haired white-boy anyway?

What other races?

I think this guy and the boyish girl are all we are getting.

But we get all in 3 different colours. Which counts for the races.

So no luck there, sorry.

Sense
24th Nov 2003, 22:15
He kind of looks like a fox to me.

The character is an element in the game; this particular character is very annoying.

Maybe all the other **** wrong with the game just magnifies his idiotic look, I don't know....Very few things "right" with this game (basically they had some okay ideas from the interviews, but most of that was just hype) and the characters are not one of them.

Frost Giant
24th Nov 2003, 22:25
It WOULD be very unrealistic if my black character were to have spikey hair like THAT. So there may be hope yet. At least for black characters. http://www.hecares4u.com/smiley/prayer.gif

MonkeyLungs
24th Nov 2003, 22:39
maybe the black character will have a high top fade like kid from kid n play ... well maybe not so exuberant, more like big daddy kane's ...

AlteredGlyph
25th Nov 2003, 00:07
The only difference in the male models is the skin color. Same for the female models.

aquinasproject
25th Nov 2003, 02:27
One of the DEVs said you can even add an ear ring to alex in the full game.

F3nyx
25th Nov 2003, 02:37
One of the DEVs said you can even add an ear ring to alex in the full game.How recently did they say that? Because you know, they said the AI would be good, too.

Sense
25th Nov 2003, 13:00
Wow! You can *EVEN* add an earring!

Honestly, what were the developers thinking?

Shinnosuke
25th Nov 2003, 18:09
Earrings?

Deus Ex goes barbie's dress up.

I wonder if they are big glittery earrings. I could see this Alex D is a flaming homosexual.

GT123
25th Nov 2003, 21:37
Originally posted by Shinnosuke
Earrings?

I wonder if they are big glittery earrings. I could see this Alex D is a flaming homosexual.

Hahaha.....and the female ALex could very well be quite butch!!!!

Sense
25th Nov 2003, 21:43
Originally posted by Shinnosuke
Earrings?

That's probably one of the big twists...Alex gets a little too non-violent with his enemies.

F3nyx
25th Nov 2003, 23:06
My god, somebody close this thread already...

:p

RobK
25th Nov 2003, 23:11
*laugh* he really does look like a surfer :D

I dunno, I don't really mind him. He wears neat looking body armor that manages to look okay without a coat, that's a plus.

I only really have two gripes about the guy.... For a child/clone of JC, he really doesn't bear any resemblance to him. Paul and JC looked at least somewhat alike, this could just be some guy they picked up off the street (hmmm, plot event? lol). And sunglasses! I guess the nanotechnology has really come a long way....JC had to wear sunglasses because of the odd appearance his eyes had right? Alex has the same aug (oh, biomod, sorry) but doesn't have the same problem. I guess that's valid enough explanation why he doesn't need them....I just thought they made the character look really badass.

F3nyx
25th Nov 2003, 23:20
Probably they gave him that hair to justify all those comments from NPCs about "Daddy's credit line" and such.

aquinasproject
26th Nov 2003, 00:42
I was kidding about the earring. It just looked like he should have one. Damm I didnt think anybody would take that seriously. But ya never know.

mgeorge
26th Nov 2003, 06:06
I'm just glad you mentioned XTC in this post! They are one of my favorite bands. "Earn Enough for Us" is one of the best pop tunes ever written. As far as the "look" I think he may be in the closet as well. He'th justh tho cute!

Shinnosuke
26th Nov 2003, 14:06
Originally posted by aquinasproject
I was kidding about the earring. It just looked like he should have one. Damm I didnt think anybody would take that seriously. But ya never know.

So they take even that from us.

Damn you Smith, damn you!

GT123
26th Nov 2003, 14:29
Originally posted by mgeorge
He'th justh tho cute!

hey...we don't ALL talk that way (or even "swish" for that matter)...LOL :)