PDA

View Full Version : Future Ion Storm games

BlackHound
24th Nov 2003, 09:18
Seeing as how the demo for DXIW has already received such negative responses, I believe it will adversely affect the sales of the PC version. Sure, the Xbox version will sell well; i won't be surprised if it becomes a GOTY, but for the PC version, it won't be so great.

The next time Ionstorm develops another game, it will probably be centred around consoles too. Already theres a DX PS2 game supposedly in development, and IGN/Gamespot previews only the Xbox version of Thief III, with no mention of the PC version. It is precisely this console-centric development that gamers are unhappy about, and I fear that this scenario will repeat itself with Thief III.

If the PC version of DX2 flops, or at least does not meet sales expectation, I suppose Ion Storm will rethink their target audience. Seeing as how PC gamers are a hard bunch to please, they might even forego PC versions of their future games, or put it at the bottom of their priority list, which I assume is what they are doing now.

This is my prediction of future ion storm games.

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 09:21
Why do PC people hate consoles, there cheap, they last along time without needing upgrades, they have piles of great games, you can play it on a bigger screen, I think the only reason you people are biching is because your momy hasnt bought you one yet and you feel left out so your getting grumpy :(

BlackHound
24th Nov 2003, 09:30
PC gamers get grumpy at "simultaneous multiplatform development" because their games get dragged down to console level like hardware limitations the user interface etc. Many multiplatform games could have been so much more if they were developed solely for ther PC. Ever heard of "lowest common denominator"?

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 09:35
Originally posted by BlackHound
PC gamers get grumpy at "simultaneous multiplatform development" because their games get dragged down to console level like hardware limitations the user interface etc. Many multiplatform games could have been so much more if they were developed solely for ther PC. Ever heard of "lowest common denominator"?

well heres the trick to living a happy life full of fun gamming.......Get over it, its only gonna happen more often, not less;)

NamelessOne
24th Nov 2003, 09:41
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
well heres the trick to living a happy life full of fun gamming.......Get over it, its only gonna happen more often, not less;)

You've got no backbone ABRAXAAS.

Fight it! Complain! Don't buy games like it!

Eventually, the developers will learn. If not, new developers will crop up to take advantage of an unfulfilled market. Thats how capitalism works. :)

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 09:46
Originally posted by NamelessOne

Eventually, the developers will learn. If not, new developers will crop up to take advantage of an unfulfilled market. Thats how capitalism works. :)

why would i fight it and complain i think its teh right thing to do to bring games to more people, not everyone can afford $3000 to buy a new computer once a year, but they can afford a $300 console that will last 3+ years.

And i own all teh consoles, so ill play everything no matter what.
its gets tiresome upgrading my computer all the time, dont get me wrong ist my favorite.

But it just makes sence for companys to do it, in teh long run they will make way more money than catering to a few hardcore fans.

Viking2
24th Nov 2003, 09:59
So, you're saying that you support low quality games? Well, great... now, the platform with the most potential, the most selection, and, in my opinion, the best one overall, will not get the attention it deserves. There is a reason why PC is great. It practically doesn't have any limitations, when compared to the consoles. The fact that it will happen more often shouldn't come as such a joy, because it only means bad games for all of us. Now I know even you can't want that, Abraxaas.

Darkhelm
24th Nov 2003, 10:04
Originally posted by NamelessOne

It's apparent that you squander your passion to fight the good fight for the wrong game. IS did believe they were making a good game. They are not the type of company to cater to the masses. If you want that, try Jedi Academy, try Max Payne 2, with minimal changes, with a no-brainer approach to success.

Accusing IS of that is just silly, they risked too much, as is apparent judging your reaction to it :rolleyes:

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 10:05
Originally posted by Viking2
So, you're saying that you support low quality games? Well, great... now, the platform with the most potential, the most selection, and, in my opinion, the best one overall, will not get the attention it deserves. There is a reason why PC is great. It practically doesn't have any limitations, when compared to the consoles. The fact that it will happen more often shouldn't come as such a joy, because it only means bad games for all of us. Now I know even you can't want that, Abraxaas.

Do you play console games? do you own them all, do you knwo for sure there worse? some of my most memorable gaming experiences were on consoles. and PC's have limitations to, and even more so in some ways, with consoles a company always knows what they have to work with, but with PC things change so fast , that half the time companys have to start over half way through, or push back release dates so they can get in people with low end cards.

consoles are the future of gaming wether you liek it or not, PC are to big and expensive. there will always be PC games, but i think in the future, it will be ports from consoles to PC's

Darkhelm
24th Nov 2003, 10:07
Namelessone and Viking2, last time I checked Halo, Splinter Cell and SW:KOTOR were released for the Xbox first. Maybe you just can't get over the fact that there are console users out there who want intelligent, demanding games just as much as you do.

FliX
24th Nov 2003, 12:58
PLEASE
tell me you kidding

Dark Project is coming for Xbox too

OMG

another amazon preorder to cancel... :mad:

Elder
24th Nov 2003, 15:46
Id be interested to know how many PC game buyers there are out there vs console game buyers....That is ..who is the bigger market....I know Pc games are harder to make and i know the issue of "warz" makes pc game making increasing less attractive...But Im a PC gamer..Ive never even played a console game...I cant imagine how one could interact with the world with out a mouse/keyboard.

dirigimaster
24th Nov 2003, 17:16
Seeing as how the demo for DXIW has already received such negative responses, I believe it will adversely affect the sales of the PC version. Sure, the Xbox version will sell well; i won't be surprised if it becomes a GOTY, but for the PC version, it won't be so great.

The next time Ionstorm develops another game, it will probably be centred around consoles too. Already theres a DX PS2 game supposedly in development, and IGN/Gamespot previews only the Xbox version of Thief III, with no mention of the PC version. It is precisely this console-centric development that gamers are unhappy about, and I fear that this scenario will repeat itself with Thief III.

If the PC version of DX2 flops, or at least does not meet sales expectation, I suppose Ion Storm will rethink their target audience. Seeing as how PC gamers are a hard bunch to please, they might even forego PC versions of their future games, or put it at the bottom of their priority list, which I assume is what they are doing now.

This is my prediction of future ion storm games.

Seeing as how about 99.5% of the people who will buy this game haven't played the demo, or *****ed about it here, I don't think they have anything to worry about for sales.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Nov 2003, 17:45
Originally posted by Elder
Id be interested to know how many PC game buyers there are out there vs console game buyers....That is ..who is the bigger market....I know Pc games are harder to make and i know the issue of "warz" makes pc game making increasing less attractive...But Im a PC gamer..Ive never even played a console game...I cant imagine how one could interact with the world with out a mouse/keyboard.

well if you consider the poll in the thread "which version will you buy", I think there are about 10 times as much PC users than Console users , at least on this forum

maniac44
24th Nov 2003, 18:48
My new mantra:

"Please don't screw up Thief III.
Please don't screw up Thief III.
Please don't screw up Thief III."

:( :D

The Glome
24th Nov 2003, 19:13
If you guys actually tried console gaming, then you'd realize that there's nothing to worry about. Console games can be just as and sometimes even more deep as PC games.

Viking2
24th Nov 2003, 20:12
Accusing IS of that is just silly, they risked too much, as is apparent judging your reaction to it
They risked too much? No way man. They had the chance to risk enough and bring out the better parts of the game, without changing so many obviously annoying little parts to the game that are just flaws. Why change these little things, when the core of the game is different from any other game so far? I think that's taking enough risks. The difference is, that when they thought out their gameplay, it really wasn't a risk. They were making changes, and knew it would work. With the later changes to the smaller aspects of the game, they just screwed everything up. They didn't have to take those risks. It was just not necessary. Oh, it's going to get its identity because it has some annoying quality that the player doesn't have to reload? Come on, I think they had much better things to change and improve on the first one, to give the players a different and more immersive experience.

As for your argument, ABRAXAAS, that computers are more limited, I don't understand that. You've got over 100 keys. You've got more memory than any console. You've got a truckload of advantages. The only difference is the conviction in people's minds that computers are more expensive to keep- which is in fact not true. I've been a computer gamer for something like eight years now, on and off when I had time, and I've been able to do that switching computers only twice, when they were so outdated that the normal functions, like running your simple applications, was so tiresome to do that it was a near agonizing experience. You can keep a decent computer each year by spending around 150 dollars, which is only 450 every three years. This would be nearly as cheap as buying a brand new console every x number of years, though you would get a much better quality of games. In fact, games that run only on computer usually run there because they couldn't be supported by the consoles, just like DX:IW couldn't be supported by PS2 and Gamecube. Xbox did support it, and even so, "streamlining" had to take place in order to keep it there. Let's face it, were it not for money, the devs would have made a better game, because of fewer limitations. However, I'm not complaining about that. Somehow, they managed to get the right idea even on a console, and I praise them for it. At the last minute, they made some horrible design decisions, and now all the gamers have to be confronted with a choice: do they get over them or not? That's not necessary. There was no reason for them to do that at all.

Devin the Dude
24th Nov 2003, 20:54
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
well if you consider the poll in the thread "which version will you buy", I think there are about 10 times as much PC users than Console users , at least on this forum

In 3 months that will change.

MonkeyLungs
24th Nov 2003, 21:37
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames

most gamers, even pc gamers don't bother to coe to forums to read a bunch of drivel on the internet ... maybe a small fraction of a % of xbox gamers who will ultimately buy this game even come to this forum ...

this forum is in no way shape or form ... IN NO GODDAMN WAY SHAPE OR FORM a representative sample of gamers in general, and even more specifically in gamers who buy deus ex invisible war and especially xbox gamers who will buy invisible war ... this forum is a collection of die hard deus ex fans with maybe a few stragglers who happen to be hardcore pc gamers but not necessarily 'fans' of the original deus ex ...

most people don't waste their time in these convoluted, bile infested, lack of logical reasoning, internet whiner boards ...

Dark Of Thought
24th Nov 2003, 23:43
why would i fight it and complain i think its teh right thing to do to bring games to more people, not everyone can afford $3000 to buy a new computer once a year, but they can afford a $300 console that will last 3+ years.

My PC cost me $800 (XP2500 512MB and Radeon 9500 Pro $100 case) and it wil lplay anything on the market at max detail for a time to come. Dont give me that BS.

And I own all the consoles, I'll play everything no matter what

Oh gee, you spent $900 on all three consoles AND bought a bunch of games for each? I think you have already made a fool of yourself so you better shut it before you make it worse.

Dark Of Thought
25th Nov 2003, 00:22
If you guys actually tried console gaming, then you'd realize that there's nothing to worry about. Console games can be just as and sometimes even more deep as PC games

This is the reason why I DONT buy consoles anymore ( I have a PS2 and ONE GAME). I dont know if you have been keeping record but the console industry has become a joke ever since the PSX/n64 era

Yeah, the PC gaming world has garbage to tolerate like Blizzard and ID along with all the crappy FPS and RTS clones, but it is nothing like the console world.

Effing Christ,

How many wacky extreme sports games can a console audiance tolerate?

How much dopey tony hawk skater **** can you take?

How many "kill a zillion enemy's rushing you at once with a stupid combo meter in the top corner" games can they make?

And speaking of those games, WTF did Konami make? Is that a new Castlevania.......or is that Dynasty Warriors, Devil may Cry, Otogi, Chaos Legion, Rygar 2, Zone of the Enders. Shinobi, Ninja gaiden or one of the zillion other games that involve you "killing a zillion enemy's rushing at you at once with a stupid combo meter in the top corner"?

Then there are the "Survival Horror" games that give you a ****ing arsenal Arnold would be proud of and frankly would only scare a retarded monkey.

The wannabe RPG's by company's like Square which consist of walking from point A to B and watching a 1 hour cut scene of annoying MTV teenagers with emotional distress complain about something or another.

What else did I miss? Oh yeah! All those copy cat playformers that involved you jumping around in 3d worlds collecting thousands of some special item. Oh wait...but they have actually evolved now. Now every last one has to have TWO main characters, one lead and one comedic side kick (Jak & Daxter, Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy, that new one with the Rabbit and the Weasel, and a plenty more I neglect to mention.

Then you have those annoying "console war" middleschoolers (we are all familiar with these guys) who wont even have a remote interest in games once their parents buy them a car and discover their wee wee feels good when they rub it right.

See?
I played consoles when I was younger. Not anymore, they make me feel like I am playing with a toy. I own 1 console game, Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land. That is it, simply because I am a Wizardry fanatic. I would also not mind trying Steel Batallion, but I am not buying a Xbox and a $100 controller to play it. Other than that I have not the slightest interest in ANYTHING on or that may be coming to console.

PC gaming always was and always will be the only true platform for real hobby gaming. Everything else is a christmas present waiting under the tree for my 12 year old cousin.

Jesus, P.I.
25th Nov 2003, 02:30
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
Why do PC people hate consoles, there cheap, they last along time without needing upgrades, they have piles of great games, you can play it on a bigger screen, I think the only reason you people are biching is because your momy hasnt bought you one yet and you feel left out so your getting grumpy :(

It is a little more complicated in some cases than "consoles are cheap, PC's are expensive." First of all, only a tiny minority of PC users will do something ridiculous like spend $3,000 on their comp every year. I spent $1500 on mine, and it will last me 3-4 years. Also, my computer has other uses than games. Being a programmer, it generates some good revenue for me. I doubt most consoles have that capability. :)

Also, guess which is better for my gaming purposes: My 19' LCD monitor, or my 21' CRT television? Not such a hard one. (Bigger is not *always* better) ;)

And I think your *****ing about everyone's *****ing more than matches any individual's *****ing, on either side. Try to sort that one out.:D

scottws
25th Nov 2003, 04:37
I don't have it set up this way now, but if I chose I could take my PC over to my projector and play on a 89" screen. And video cards on PCs do have TV-outs.

I prefer a monitor for play, even if it's smaller because I am not limited to a resolution of 640x480, which frankly sucks.