PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one irritated by the hud?

PolarisTwin
24th Nov 2003, 06:39
The graphical environment would be so much more enjoyable if this GARBAGE HUD WAS'NT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN GO THE **** AWAY

how do I get rid of it or move it or whatever?

IconoclastDX
24th Nov 2003, 06:44
THis is an old old complaint, and sadly, one of the least. Keep playing and you'll find more.

No you cant change it. You can make it wider though.

This game makes me cry.

PolarisTwin
24th Nov 2003, 06:47
I played for about 3 minutes but my eyes couldnt take it anymore. Something made it seem so so unnatural to play. DX1 was a glorious game, why do game sequels a lot of times get it all wrong? Go back to basics. Make another DX1

MaxxQ
24th Nov 2003, 06:48
Go to this link:

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewt...612110&id=34880

and you will find a good discussion including tips for widening the HUD to the edges of the screen, as well as many other improvements. You can also set the opacity of the HUD to zero in the options menu and it will only be seen when you need it.

Just a suggestion, but do *all* the .ini tweaks mentioned in the above link before playing any further.

Make another DX1

Then everyone would be *****ing about it being more of the same, and questioning why Ion Storm didn't take any risks and try new things. I see this all the time in reviews of other games, the newest I can think of being Homeworld 2. Developers walk a thin line between innovation and MOTS, and no matter which way they go, someone's gonna raise hell with them about it.

I'm glad it's not DX1 with prettier graphics. If I want to play DX1, then I will get out my DX1 disk and play it. I don't want to pay another $50 for the same game I've been playing for the last 3-4 years.

PolarisTwin
24th Nov 2003, 06:58
The page cannot be found

Random
24th Nov 2003, 07:02
http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880

Anyway, have you tried lowering the HUD opacity? I think 20-25 opacity is good.

Personally, I can't believe people are still complaining about the HUD design. I think it looks great and it didn't get in my at all. I never even noticed it was there until I needed to.

I have problems with the interface, but the design of the HUD is definately not one of them.

sachfigura
24th Nov 2003, 07:10
I didn't like it, even after the modifications. The shape was a neat effect, but I grew rapidly tired of huge messages blocking my entire effective field of view (like where I was pointing a gun) because of conversations when I was in combat with the first guard. I died twice because I suddenly couldn't see. The center of the screen should be for the environment, not putting data that I only need occasionally.

UnConeD
24th Nov 2003, 07:35
I don't mind developers trying new things, as long as they don't forget what made the original good in the first place.
Most developer comments here seemed to go like:
"X is what Deus Ex is about. We focused on that. Y and Z is just trivial stuff that doesn't matter."

To which several people reply "To me, Y and Z is the most important thing!".

The original Deus Ex got played in ways that the original developers didn't originally think of, so why don't they seem to recognize that different people put different emphasis on aspects of the game?

zakrocz
24th Nov 2003, 11:31
Anyone remember the outraged posters on the Nintendo forums when new screenshots of Metroid Prime appeared showing the integrated HUD.

No neither do I. Funny that.

So what's your point?

Well if Metroid Prime hadn't had an integrated HUD, and the upcoming sequel did maybe we would have had the same reaction that IW's HUD is now getting.