PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna miss Lara again and some spoilers

Drew
24th Nov 2003, 05:53
By and large, it's an exciting, enjoyable TR sequel. It's short compared to TR4 TLR, as buggy as the TR5 C (but at least, nothing, in my case, to prevent me from finishing it), but Lara here is an improvement in looks and moves (not as agile, I still contend) and not challenged as much, as she got a lot of help from a potential partner (love interest? :), namely, Kurtis (who up to now is controversial --- should he or not die? Appear in the next TR7? ) Read Asynca's Kurtis' tweaks on another thread (put quite so well and seriously) and I'm willing to change my stand on him. He's good for the female raiders :) like Lara has been good enough for us in the past 9 TRs.

*SPOILERS (READ ONLY IF YOU'RE DONE)*: the fight pattern/formula in the last two, ekchardt and karel, if any, is so easy. AI could have been improved here to make it as challenging as (if not more than) Boaz. It's so predictable, thus, anti-climactic in that sense.

Also, the last task could have been better if Lara MUST hold on to the sleeper (like she would on a ladder jump) before the final FMV kicks in (as it is, all she had to do was fall off the ledge (doesn't matter whether or not she's jumping at the creature??) and that's it :( Or better, get to fight the sleeper, yea, that's it.

And if you're spontaneous like I am --- the tendency to press on the action key when you jump at somthing to cling onto --- then the extra keypress will skip the last FMV altogether, you're thrown back to the press any key menu, and leave you with 'Huh, so what happened there?' I don't know if this was corrected in the patches.

Whatever happened to Gunderson?
So she found out the killer, so? is she off the hook? I don't think so.

Possible TR7 storyline :) just for laffs: she gets jailed and fights some inmates like she did in TR2, was it? and Kurtis goes about the task of proving her innocence (like a crusading lawyer?) and he fights gunderson? or help her escape and they fight gundy? There should be justice somewhere. Whatever, just don't take Lara too much out of the picture, please!

Now am gonna patch and prolly go for some extras (and cheats :) like dual guns or god mode I read somwhere and replay and see some improvement. Hopefully.

Jewell
24th Nov 2003, 23:13
Originally posted by Drew

And if you're spontaneous like I am --- the tendency to press on the action key when you jump at somthing to cling onto --- then the extra keypress will skip the last FMV altogether, you're thrown back to the press any key menu, and leave you with 'Huh, so what happened there?

Oh my god! Hahaha! I do that every single time! :D

Drew
30th Nov 2003, 16:46
I just finished again with patches and cheats :)

Some other spoilers:

*trscu (cheat utility) doesn't work unless you have build 49.

*some guns don't have sounds? (I'm guessing, in levels where she is not supposed to have that gun...)

*kurtis cannot use the other guns, he just freezes when you try to.

*but kurtis had an easier time with the nephili and boaz with his unlimited boran.

*the flycheat is no good...she passes thru walls and she ends up in some untextured places (tho if you're careful 'nuff moving her, you'll have an easier time at the hall of seasons).

*the recording (.xpd) doesn't work well when Lara swims? I wanted to record a demo of the aquatic research center. So I finished playing (while recording the demo of) the level, and when i play the .xpd, she moves weirdly underwater and drowns!

*patch 42 solved the missing shotgun (as per readme) and pierre's face (not mentioned in the readme).

*patch 49 enabled key remapping and cycle of weapons, and fixed the gun ammo bug (fires one bullet at a time now)

*in both unpatched and patched games, willowtree the herbalist doesn't open his mouth when he speaks (i was hoping that'll be solved). So they should just rename him the ventriloquist instead? :)

So there's improvement, by and large, from the patches and none more of those crashing.

Didn't try v52 anymore.

Warning: use the trscu only if you wanna have more fun replaying it. For the first time, i suggest not.

JunoJIm
5th Dec 2003, 04:22
I plan to play it again, but prolly with no patches...