PDA

View Full Version : Strange physics

kitzingmarko
23rd Nov 2003, 22:14
Is there any way to tweak the physics? I find them sort of strange, I mean dead bodies fly around like puppets if you shoot them again, and I can push around a barrel like nothing even though it is to heavy to lift...
I can not believe the testers did not see this.

The state-of-the-art physics system allows for unprecedented interaction with objects in the world.

Well it's not state of the art the way it is now.

Marko

9of9
23rd Nov 2003, 22:18
You can actually - in the System folder, open up Default.ini There should be a heading named [Physics] under which there are a few values you can tweak.

jaywalker2309
23rd Nov 2003, 22:20
Originally posted by kitzingmarko
Is there any way to tweak the physics? I find them sort of strange, I mean dead bodies fly around like puppets if you shoot them again, and I can push around a barrel like nothing even though it is to heavy to lift...
I can not believe the testers did not see this.

Well it's not state of the art the way it is now.

Marko

A barrel has inertia, bump it and gravity and other forces will carry it on.. The physics engine is provided by Havok, so its their mathematics being used. There are ways you can alter the physics within the default.ini (but it will make it look funny i can promise you)

kitzingmarko
23rd Nov 2003, 22:24
Well it's to late to try it now, I'm going to bed now.
Maybe tomorrow I will do a little research on Deus Ex - Physics :D

See ya.

Marko

Pooeypants
23rd Nov 2003, 22:27
err, if the bodies fly around when hit by pistol bullets then it's not following correct physics and momentum conservation...

FuriousNoob >:-(
23rd Nov 2003, 23:35
my main complaint with the physics is how people hardly move when shot until they're killed. It's kind of funny looking when they don't seem phased at all from the first 5 shots yet the 6th shot sends them flying across the room.

NamelessOne
23rd Nov 2003, 23:39
I find the fact that objects get knocked over if so much as touch them strange. Does Alex weigh 10 tonnes or something? Its not a big issue, but I'd prefer if they had some resistance.

F3nyx
23rd Nov 2003, 23:40
The physics aren't properly tweaked, IMO. Bullets have too much momentum, it seems, and bodies don't have enough. Plus, sometimes the ragdolls get stuck in walls.

If you want to see a very good implementation of physics, download the Max Payne 2 demo (http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/133340.shtml).

comreak
23rd Nov 2003, 23:41
Heh, something else that bothers me is Alex's amazing throwing abilities. I've tossed 150 lb. bodies atleast 20 - 24 ft. up into the air. Heck, I was throwing beer kegs (possibly full) at the bar tenders head with ease. I know Alex is supposed to be nano-augmented but isn't this a little ridiculous?

NamelessOne
23rd Nov 2003, 23:45
Originally posted by comreak
Heh, something else that bothers me is Alex's amazing throwing abilities. I've tossed 150 lb. bodies atleast 20 - 24 ft. up into the air. Heck, I was throwing beer kegs (possibly full) at the bar tenders head with ease. I know Alex is supposed to be nano-augmented but isn't this a little ridiculous?

Whats more ridiculous is a huge beer keg hurled at someone's head not only doesn't seem to hurt them or knock them down, it doesn't even piss them off to a significant degree!

*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."

comreak
23rd Nov 2003, 23:52
Originally posted by NamelessOne
Whats more ridiculous is a huge beer keg hurled at someone's head not only doesn't seem to hurt them or knock them down, it doesn't even piss them off to a significant degree!

*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."
*hurls barrel*
"Stop that."

Lol, they seem to be very layed back. I was even rolling the flaming barrels around, setting stuff on fire and no one seemed to care.

It'd be awesome if you could actually knock someone out by throwing large objects at them. Heck, a trash can combined with Alex's powerful throwing arm and you've got yourself a strategy.

F3nyx
24th Nov 2003, 00:03
Apparently you can KO/kill people with thrown objects if you have a strength biomod.