PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Service and everything about Saving

sobble
16th Aug 2012, 11:59
is that true? and if it is, wtf square...

Simonn-262419
21st Aug 2012, 16:58
I went into the Final Fantasy VII folder but cannot find my local save files. Where are they located?

member_10141162
21st Aug 2012, 17:05
Computer > C:/ > Users > "Bisjac" > My Documents > Square Enix > Final Fantasy VII > user_xxxxx

i would grab all 3 files from the user_xxxx folder as a save backup.

when i tried JUST taking the save file, i couldnt drop it back into the original spot without the metadata.

as the game would otherwise recreate the metadata file on startup and delete just the save file.

so safer to keep all 3 together so to be dropped back in together.

Simonn-262419
21st Aug 2012, 18:24
Thank you, Bisjac. I successfully located the local save file.

Paxpaganus
21st Aug 2012, 20:19
I bought the FVII PC release....was playing it happily and reliving the old days.

Then later after I stopped for a bit, I went to go play again when my internet was down. and I find out - I'm unable to play a game that I paid for, which is NOT an MMORPG, without an internet connection. Is there any possible way in the future that this can/will be fixed? Especially when it uses local saves - there's no reason that we shouldn't be able to play this offline after registration/activation. :(

I understand the internet connection is needed for the cloud-saves and posting to member profiles...but to actually play the game itself? Its frustrating and annoying - and making me regret my purchase a little.

member_10239333
21st Aug 2012, 20:53
Yes DRM is annoying. Also the cloud server has been down and having problems lately, playing FFVII hasn´t been so difficult before.

member_10688229
21st Aug 2012, 21:18
I feel the cloud save should be optional. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif

timmeecitherix
21st Aug 2012, 22:35
Considering they're not on the cloud due to all the server nonsense, I would love to know. I'm going to try checking hidden files then let you guys know if you hadn't found out before me.

timmeecitherix
21st Aug 2012, 22:36
Nope, nothing in the hidden files of the main folder as far as I know. I'll dig deeper.

Timmei
21st Aug 2012, 22:38
If you didn't change where anything saves, they should be with your documents, under a folder called Square Enix, then Final Fantasy VII. There isn't too much else in there either, from what I know.

member_10078668
22nd Aug 2012, 04:51
Oh ew, the re-release is leashed to DRM? D: Glad I kept my copy of the original PC game. Now if only I can get it to work on my Windows 7...

tir43l
22nd Aug 2012, 06:36
A good portion of games are like this, such as any Steam game, pretty much all Blizzard games since the release of SC 2 and etc.

timmeecitherix
22nd Aug 2012, 13:52
If you didn't change where anything saves, they should be with your documents, under a folder called Square Enix, then Final Fantasy VII. There isn't too much else in there either, from what I know.

That's the first place that I looked, lol. It doesn't seem to be there.

timmeecitherix
22nd Aug 2012, 13:54
Computer > C:/ > Users > "Bisjac" > My Documents > Square Enix > Final Fantasy VII > user_xxxxx

i would grab all 3 files from the user_xxxx folder as a save backup.

when i tried JUST taking the save file, i couldnt drop it back into the original spot without the metadata.

as the game would otherwise recreate the metadata file on startup and delete just the save file.

so safer to keep all 3 together so to be dropped back in together.

*Wind Waker boat shop man*

THAAANK YOU!!! :D

member_10074094
22nd Aug 2012, 17:52
It is easier to check for validity of your copy, if it has to be played online. It is an anti-piracy mechanism in most cases, unfortunately it also serves to hinder those who actually purchase games, and also serves to encourage pirates to just continue pirating to spite the company that adds these mechanisms.

EDIT: There are ways to play Steam games without being online, unless the game specifically requires an internet connection (Skyrim, for example, can be played offline, but Batman: Arkham Asylum, requires Windows Games to be online to play)

member_10812023
22nd Aug 2012, 19:10
Here's an idea Square-Enix....

Make the save files save locally!

If I switch computers.....let me move them physically myself.....

This will.....

A) Take all that unneeded stress off your servers

B) Make me happy that I bought FFVII again for the 4th time! :)

I know you'll save money from turning those servers off and i won't even ask you for a penny of it.

P.S. I'm still happy I bought this game but not happy about MANDITORY cloud saving.

gramaton785
22nd Aug 2012, 19:29
Here's an idea Square-Enix....

Make the save files save locally!

If I switch computers.....let me move them physically myself.....

This will.....

A) Take all that unneeded stress off your servers

B) Make me happy that I bought FFVII again for the 4th time! :)

I know you'll save money from turning those servers off and i won't even ask you for a penny of it.

P.S. I'm still happy I bought this game but not happy about MANDITORY cloud saving.

I would pay ten bucks more to turn off cloud saving

tir43l
22nd Aug 2012, 19:29
na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29335835/Having_Local_Save_Issues__Read_this..)

You can move your save files locally if you do what is described in that thread.

gramaton785
22nd Aug 2012, 19:35
excelent, just saw that. now if the game ever loads past 10% and allows me to log in ever again I'll be able to play. man how many problems can this thing have! Love the game and want to play but have had nothing but pain the past 2 days

gramaton785
22nd Aug 2012, 19:38
so far only log in I can use is through facebook which is more than annoying

member_10812023
23rd Aug 2012, 02:14
I would pay ten bucks more to turn off cloud saving

much agreed so please read my post square : )

digitoxin
23rd Aug 2012, 09:26
Add the following to your Windows hosts file
127.0.0.1 rome.eu.square-enix.com

The windows hosts file can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can edit it with notepad.

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you need to right click Notepad and Run as administrator. On Vista/7, Notepad can be found in the Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories.

Update checking will continue to work fine since this uses a different server. Only remote sync will be blocked. This will also remove the delay you get while it is checking for the remote server. It should now fail almost instantly.

digitoxin
23rd Aug 2012, 10:24
Square-Enix keeps a file called metadata.xml in your saves directory (My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\user_??????). This file contains timestamp information to assist with syncing and a checksum of your save data. If the checksum does not match, it will delete the save file. It verifies these checksums when you first run the launcher and any time it attempts a sync with the server.

To keep the game from deleting your saves when using a save game editor, you need to make your changes after the game does one of these checks against the metadata.xml. The best time to do this is when you first launch the game and have the choice to start a new game or continue. Wait for the server to finish syncing or attempt to sync and then Alt-Tab out of the game and use your save editor to make any changes you want and then Alt-Tab back into the game and load that save. At this point, immediately save again. This will cause the game to update the metadata.xml with the proper checksums for your modified save preventing it from being deleted in the future.

crono1973
23rd Aug 2012, 11:29
For those who are going to ask (like I was about to) "How do we run this as Administrator?"

To Run as Administrator, on the hosts file, right click and select:

Properties-->Security-->Advanced-->Change Permissions
Edit (Yourname\Users). Check the box for Allow, Full Control.
This will add a new entry (You should probably remove this entry once you have edited the file). You can now save the edited file.

Also, if you want to add the line now but not use it until you later, you can put a "#" in front of the line to make Windows ignore it.

Why does it quote when I choose Quick Reply?

Quadocky
23rd Aug 2012, 11:57
Question: is the cloud server the same for NA users?

tir43l
23rd Aug 2012, 12:02
na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29335835/Having_Local_Save_Issues__Read_this..)

crono1973
23rd Aug 2012, 12:03

Yes, I tested it and it worked. I disabled it afterwards and it went back to syncing.

Maybe we should be asking why NA doesn't get local cloud servers.

Foodperson
23rd Aug 2012, 12:14
It is easier to check for validity of your copy, if it has to be played online. It is an anti-piracy mechanism in most cases, unfortunately it also serves to hinder those who actually purchase games, and also serves to encourage pirates to just continue pirating to spite the company that adds these mechanisms.

EDIT: There are ways to play Steam games without being online, unless the game specifically requires an internet connection (Skyrim, for example, can be played offline, but Batman: Arkham Asylum, requires Windows Games to be online to play)

In other words, DRM is BS for life! Why should those a#$h*#(s at Square Enix do this to a 15 year-old game!? They already made a boat-load of money off of that game already!!

I hope whoever is in charge looks at our posts and fixes this issue with another update promptly. Other than that, great game as always! Hope they don't make another FF XIII.

tir43l
23rd Aug 2012, 12:56
SE is a japanese company? lol

crono1973
23rd Aug 2012, 13:00
SE is a japanese company? lol

Yet we are syncing to servers in Europe, not Japan.

Quadocky
23rd Aug 2012, 13:40

Yes, I tested it and it worked. I disabled it afterwards and it went back to syncing.

Maybe we should be asking why NA doesn't get local cloud servers.

My only guess is that they still believe that Europeans care more about PC games than North Americans do. Or that Europeans care more about JRPGs than North Americans do. Business stuff and all that jazz.

member_10289442
23rd Aug 2012, 18:07
If remote sync is disabled will your achievements sync. I figured not, but I was wondering if anyone could comfirm this.

tir43l
23rd Aug 2012, 18:14
More than likely not. There is a seperate file inside that same folder called achievement.dat that gets synced at the same time as the other two files.

jt2414-281443
23rd Aug 2012, 20:02
Call them and tell them 310-846-0345 Option 3

member_10156788
26th Aug 2012, 03:16
Been trying to figure out if it was possible to delete a save file. Whether it was from a different slot or 2 save files within the same slot?

josh007cl
26th Aug 2012, 13:57
I don't know of a way yet to delete a save file but there might be a way to copy over a new game/edited save with it. You could back up your saves folder and try it. You would either have to disable the file sync and save over it after starting the game so you can sync the file back to the server.

crono1973
26th Aug 2012, 21:40
It's a Square thing. Try to go back and clear all your saves on an SNES cart or on a DS card from Square/Square Enix. To clear my Chrono Trigger DS saves I had to remove the card while it was saving to force it to become corrupt, only then would it delete the files. I have no solution for this though.

Malmern
2nd Sep 2012, 11:16
Hi,
I've accidently created 2 save games in "Save 1" and wish to know how I can delete one of them?

CCTzer
7th Sep 2012, 21:19
I was wonder if I could use my saved progress on my pc version of FFVII, for maybe a ps1 emulator version on FFVII?

I have just got a Google nexus 7 and have been looking online and seen that I can download a PS1 emulator and play any PS1 games.. pretty awesome...

i have also learned how to use my wiimote and classic wii contrller to play SNES games and such on my nexus too! it would be cool to play FFVII mobile and

and then get home and then play where i left off on my pc....

Just wondering if anyone has a clue...

Quadocky
7th Sep 2012, 23:23
No idea, but my first guess is no because the PC version is different than the Playstation Version. Essentially, the PC version IS a PC version with different data, and the Playstation version is its own with its own data.

Natrually the two would be incompatable because of the way it handles the file types and the data used.

However I never tested this, but I am 80% sure the two are incompatible.

iambasho777
8th Sep 2012, 16:26
First, are you dumping all of your own bios and game data? If not, then emulation is illegal and thus not permitted to be discussed on this (or any, really) website.

Second, as they are entirely different games (PS and PC version) the save types are not compatible. It might be possible for someone to build a save converter for between the two, but I doubt anyone would put the time in for something like that, sorry.

thebeastman
23rd Sep 2012, 23:28
i cant seem to find the cloud save feature , where can you find that option , and how do you use it

member_10239333
24th Sep 2012, 03:20
Its automatic, everytime you save a game it attempts to upload it to the cloud.

osgZach
26th Sep 2012, 16:47
And its rather annoying too.

Because if the server is unreachable, you either can't save your game, or worse, can't load it.

mechanikism-362637
30th Sep 2012, 21:42
I installed FF7 on my desktop PC, then on my laptop a few days later. I used the same activation number on both installations, and the game launcher shows the same member name ("member_######") in the upper right-hand corner of the window on both. These worked together for about two nights, successfully sharing saved games. Both installs then had a night or two of failing to connect to the cloud sync server, and when eventually both started showing 'save files have been synced' messages again it was anything but the truth. I'd most recently played on my laptop, so my latest savegames were there, but my desktop would not sync those down and had older savegames.

This confused me until I tried accessing the View Online Profile option from each installation. My laptop took me to a web-based profile still under the same member_###### name, but reflecting stats of my desktop's savegames as far as time played and achievements accrued were concerned. I then tried accessing the online profile from my desktop, which seems to be tied to a profile under a name matching my username here on the forums and not the member_###### name both installs show on the launcher... and this one reflected zero time played and zero achievements accrued. After seeing that, my laptop will no longer load a profile page, and dumps me on the main website for FF7 instead.

It seems like at some point during the early cloud sync issues with the game I ended up with one member ID that has two sub-IDs, and my installations of FF7 each see a different one. I'd manually copy savegame files over to my desktop, but I can't seem to figure out where they are. It seems likely that I'll just have to play the game exclusively from my laptop, although I may try reinstalling the game on my desktop to see if I can somehow get it to see the laptop's savegame files.

Clouder90
28th Oct 2012, 01:50
Yes, you can save even if the server is down/unreachable. Wait for a half a minute and the game says something like "server not reached. Saving local only."

keith_the_scroller
17th Jan 2013, 10:22
When I first started playing FF7 I had no idea what a save point looked like. I was concerned that I would miss it being well aware of the many problems associated with the saving progress.

I decided to post a short video on PhotoBucket showing the first save point. To keep the vieo as short as possible I did some editing to remove the random battles. I also took the shortest route and left the exploring up to you... I didn't want to give away too many secrets of the game.

<b id="yui_3_7_2_1_1358438132212_2045">
[/b]I want to thank He-Mullet for pointing me in the right direction.
[/b]The video is located at....

<b id="yui_3_7_2_1_1358438132212_2045">s408.beta.photobucket.com/user/keith-scr... (http://s408.beta.photobucket.com/user/keith-scrolls/media/This%20is%20what%20an%20FF7%20Save%20point%20looks%20like/FF7-FirstSavePoint_zps023ed944.mp4.html)

[/b]let me know if you have any problems with the link.

Thanks, Keith

[/b]

soadfankevin
14th Apr 2013, 15:49
Like most of the fine ladies and gentleman who purchased the PC Re-release of Final Fantasy VII, I have been having issues with the Cloud Save feature that Square Enix so boldly decided to force us to use. I've read countless forum posts about people experiencing the same issues and some of their makeshift ways of getting around it.

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up before and if it has, I do sincerely apologize.

Someone recommended to completely kill the internet connection to your computer, thereby forcing the .exe to save locally. To this, I say why? Yes, it works beautifully, but I'm a bit of a multi-tasker at heart(gaming, Facebook, checking news quite literally all at once). Killing my internet connection would put a damper on that and quite frankly I don't find it fair that I should have to do that.

Instead, I've come up with something a little more tactful and a lot less of a hassle.

Using your Firewall(I personally use COMODO), black the application from accessing the internet. Or more specifically, the .exe shortcut that gets placed on your desktop.

I've been running fine ever since.

Of course you won't be able to use the Character Boost option, without saving it to the Cloud first, but if you use that than you've missed the point of playing Final Fantasy VII to begin with.

I sincerely hope that this helps.

member_10674557
5th Jul 2013, 08:51
Is there any particular reason the Steam version of FF7 allows you to disable cloud saves, but the one I bought direct from the site (version 1.0.7) doesn't?

Do I have to pay $12 to disable a game-breaking "feature"?

masz52
5th Jul 2013, 12:03
Is there any particular reason the Steam version of FF7 allows you to disable cloud saves, but the one I bought direct from the site (version 1.0.7) doesn't?

Do I have to pay $12 to disable a game-breaking "feature"?

The SE Store version was updated today to allow you to disable cloud saving. At least according to the email I got, I haven't tried it myself yet.

He-Mullet
5th Jul 2013, 12:07
I'm interested in knowing how to disable the Cloud Save feature. On the non-Steam version.

member_10674557
5th Jul 2013, 12:21
I just re-downloaded the backup I made of the installer, installed the game and let it "patch", though I'm not sure what it did. It says it's up to date, but I'm running 1.0.7 and there's no option in Network to disable cloud saves as there is in the Steam version (1.0.8.blahblah).

I know Square doesn't support the PC version, at least on the forums, but if you find a way to patch the game so this option can be disabled PLEASE post here. I'm not spending $12 to disable something that shouldn't have been forced in the first place. I'm kinda angry that Steam got a fix to this while I/We are stuck with the same thing we had nearly a year ago.

I'm going to try using the download manager to download the install files (AGAIN) in the hopes that there's a new installer that somehow enables this.

Edit: No, it's downloading the same version of the installer that my backup was. So much for that.

masz52
5th Jul 2013, 13:46
I fired mine up and it updated but it's still 1.07 and I see no option to disable or enable syncing.

For what it's worth, here's the email I got 12 hours ago.

"We have recently updated the game to implement a new feature allowing you to turn Cloud Saving on and off. The update will happen automatically when you open the game launcher (while connected), and the option to change your Cloud Saving setting will be in the launcher's Network Settings panel.

However, please note that, once the game is updated, if Cloud Saving is switched off, uninstalling the game at any time will automatically delete any saved games stored locally on your computer's hard drive. If you wish to uninstall the game and keep your saved games, please back them up to another location on your hard drive.

Your local save can be found in the \Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII folder of your Windows user profile.

Alternatively, if you have Cloud Saving switched on, your saved games will continue to be stored online and won't be affected by uninstallation.

The update also includes a Cloud Saving synchronisation progress notification, so you'll be able to clearly see when the game is synchronising with the Cloud server.

Additionally, there is also now a Steam version of FINAL FANTASY VII (which is identical to the Square Enix Store version); anybody purchasing the Steam version of the game and logging in with an existing account will be able to access any Cloud Saves that have already been created with the Square Enix Store version.

Thank you,
Square Enix Customer Service"

squaredani
5th Jul 2013, 16:41
I am also having the same issue: v1.0.7, doesn't seem to update.

I haven't tried redownloading and reinstalling, not yet.

veridiux
6th Jul 2013, 14:05
Alright so I bought the game on steam and yeah so far loving it but the cloud service isn't up half of the time, like right now I was just playing everything was fine and then no more cloud service. I know I can use local saves but I use the cloud so I can play between my desktop and my media center. So does anyone else have issues with the cloud service?

Merle
6th Jul 2013, 14:19
My cloud service isn't working right now either. How do I use local saves? Thanks.

veridiux
6th Jul 2013, 14:40
well on steam open the launcher and click the settings tab then click network and untick "Use cloud saving"

the_randomizer
6th Jul 2013, 14:58
well on steam open the launcher and click the settings tab then click network and untick "Use cloud saving"

This, a thousand times this! Cloud saving is useless in and of itself and corrupts save data. I already turned it off and runs like a charm :D

6th Jul 2013, 22:09
I got the email from SE that the option to turn off cloud saves on my non-Steam version of FF7 has been enabled, and when I start the game, the launcher shows that it is updated, but there is no option under network settings to turn save games off. Is anyone else seeing this?

He-Mullet
7th Jul 2013, 09:00
I'm on the same boat! I got the e-mail, tried the game and nothing! I don't know what's going on!

member_10036216
7th Jul 2013, 15:00
It's a shame that they couldn't get this to work. What a pain. So many people have played for hours and then not been able to save thier games.

elvis77
8th Jul 2013, 05:30
I'm on the same boat! I got the e-mail, tried the game and nothing! I don't know what's going on!

Same here.

shawn-m
8th Jul 2013, 18:38
Yeah, I received the same email too, but can't find the the option that disables cloud saves.

Running v1.0.7, online check says "your game is up to date" and the Network tab only offers the following options:

- No Proxy

- Proxy settings

Host____________

Port____________ Validate

Username_______

Password________

- Log Out

So what gives?

ianmlucas
8th Jul 2013, 20:34
Same results here. I find it strange that the Steam version has this, yet the SE Store version does not.

MrMe04
5th Sep 2013, 02:28
I am utterly delighted to be playing FF7 on my PC after so many years. I enjoy the “save to cloud” feature so I can play from both my desktop and laptop.

Does anyone know if this “save to cloud” functionality works on the PS3? If so I would like to purchase the game on my PS3 so I can continue playing from where I left off on my PC.

Thanks!

Hippy_Pickle
5th Sep 2013, 09:18
The save systems will be completely different so there would be no way to share your save data . On the PS3 it saves the data in a virtual PS1 memory card so this would not work for your PC version of the game.

MrMe04
6th Sep 2013, 18:32
I downloaded Final Fantasy 7 for my PC and have been using the “cloud save” feature.
If I purchase the PS3 version of the game, I would like to continue from where I left off on my PC.
Does anyone know if that is possible?

alanman178
8th Sep 2013, 00:37
I downloaded Final Fantasy 7 for my PC and have been using the “cloud save” feature.
If I purchase the PS3 version of the game, I would like to continue from where I left off on my PC.
Does anyone know if that is possible?

I don't think it's possible, due to compatibility issues. Now I'm not a "tech-wiz". It's just that it seems like you're dealing with "Apples and Oranges" in this situation. Kind of like trying to use an "Xbox" save file on the PS3. I know this is not a definitive answer. I just thought I'd reply since nobody else has yet.

SnJester
4th Oct 2013, 17:59
A shame that it doesn't use the steam cloud for storage (it seems to use it's own cloud server instead). Steam cloud would be more reliable :/

Tukhong
30th Nov 2013, 03:39
Hi everyone,

I tried to turn on Cloud Save but it always be failed although my internet connection is OK.
I cannot save game at all and i lost all the progress after 2 hours playing.

There is only Downloading Data Save and Check your internet again.

How to fix it? or I only turn off Cloud Save and play?

XledjuX
30th Nov 2013, 22:13
hi
i have the same problem then Tukhong , i think the problem isn't fo our fault

Zehirlolz
30th Nov 2013, 22:25
Hi,

Same problem than Tukhong andXledjuX, if someone has a solution it would be nice !

Aziz8387
1st Dec 2013, 00:22
hello

same problem too. For information, i live in France.

sno0ks
18th Dec 2013, 22:39
EDIT: Ok, so I'm seeing from this thread that Cloud Saving is not reliable. I'd much rather use local saves.

Question on that, though: Can I copy the save files, e-mail them to myself, and then paste them into the steam subfolders and have them work properly?
------

Hey, guys. Can't tell you how effing suped I am that Final Fantasy is finally getting some PC ports that work. So far I'm loving FFVII-HD on steam. I only hope FFIX and FFX get the same treatments.

I do have one question with Cloud Saves, however. I'm in FL for the holidays and am not on my normal PC, and wanted to start a game of FFVII using Cloud Saves so I can pick up where I left off when I get home. However, I've heard that Cloud Saving has had some issues where the saves are NOT being uploaded to Square's servers.

My question is, is there any way to check on Square's site for cloud saves? Like a list of all your cloud saves? I'd like to be able to confirm that my saves are actually being uploaded before investing many hours into the game.

Thanks!

D3RP2013
31st Dec 2013, 19:40
all i want are my saves back..........please dont make me play another 50 hours..... :c

Weehamish
19th Apr 2014, 15:58
Ok ive reformatted my PC but playing FF8 and FF7 it use to always cloud save so where can i get these saves from?

Ive put so many hours into both games i dont want to start from the beginning again!

nandateme
26th Jul 2014, 22:18
Hi,

I made a unique savegame on a unused slot by mistake, and I would like to juste delete it, because I don't want this slot to be blank (it is empty for me, this savegame is useless now). However, I didn"t find any way to delete it !! Even if I delete it locally, the cloud always create it again, damn ! :mad: I didn't find any way on the online profile neither :mad:

Any help ?...

Thanks !