PDA

View Full Version : I REALLY REALLY want to like this game, but

ThorsHamburger
23rd Nov 2003, 18:55
...it has so many great ideas but the way some things are done makes it so frustrating.
First of all im supposed to be this augmented super soldier, and I cant even easily jump up on boxes without it being a chore. In any other game jumping up on a box is just a common thing, in this game im this floaty out of control person with no physical awareness. SIMPLY JUMPING ON BOXES IS A CHORE! Im supposed to own my body, instead I have this loose feeling like I cant even accomplish the very basic tasks without thinking about it.
I get into a fight with the lady in the apartment, we are exchanging gunfire face to face, and I die first. WTF. I have my high rate of fire mako firing at her from point blank"BANG,BANG, BANG,BANG..." shes firing at me BANG......BANG....." and I go down first. :rolleyes:
And when do I do these super jumps, sometimes, is there a special key combination, do I jump first regular then high, I dont know but I seem to jump high sometimes, and regular other times with very little indication of why or how precisely.
I have to scroll through all these menus is the heat of a situation just to bring out an item. In any other game this wold be not even be a second thought, intuitively handled. Not in this game.

SO many little things like that, that in most games are properly implemented,but in this game become a chore.
:rolleyes:
SO much potential,.........:mad:

tas42
23rd Nov 2003, 19:32
use the demo tweaker utility and the "floaty" feeling will go away. it appears this demo was rushed, poorly tested, not optimized, chosen for spoiler and bandwith reasons, and fairly old. its a wonder why they released it at all. :confused:

SlicerAce
23rd Nov 2003, 21:03
Originally posted by tas42
use the demo tweaker utility and the "floaty" feeling will go away. it appears this demo was rushed, poorly tested, not optimized, chosen for spoiler and bandwith reasons, and fairly old. its a wonder why they released it at all. :confused:

How do you know it's rushed, poorly tested, not optimized, chosen for spoiler and bandwidth reasons, and old? Where's your source? Yes, it feels/looks rushed, I'm sure it was poorly tested, it's not optimized the least, but how do you know that this isn't exactly what the finished product is going to be like?

Rooklin
23rd Nov 2003, 21:15
Originally posted by SlicerAce
...how do you know that this isn't exactly what the finished product is going to be like?

Because that would be an embarassment that the players are actually tweaking the game files to mkae it run better.

tas42
23rd Nov 2003, 21:25
Originally posted by SlicerAce
How do you know it's rushed, poorly tested, not optimized, chosen for spoiler and bandwidth reasons, and old? Where's your source? Yes, it feels/looks rushed, I'm sure it was poorly tested, it's not optimized the least, but how do you know that this isn't exactly what the finished product is going to be like?

of course i don't know, just an educated guess. it was for a fact chosen for bandwith and spoiler reasons. the devs on the ION boards have said as much. they said more of the plot is revealed in the begining than they wanted to let people know, and that they wanted a small, fairly independant level that wouldn't require them to diable most of with the "only availble in retail verson" message. as for the optimization, its only common sense that the demo requires at least a week or so for development (a lot of files have to be edited, character made ect) and they gave it to us almost 2 weeks before release. that means its was started at least 3 weeks before shipping, when most of the tweaking is done. and being that the shipping date was getting close, i doubt they wanted to invest anymore time on the demo than they had it. its why so many games have a demo after release, not before.

anyway, its just a theory, who knows for sure. :cool:

Sotos
23rd Nov 2003, 21:30
Well from the demo it was somehow dissapointing

but lets wait the final release before making conclusions