PDA

View Full Version : The book regarding JC and Paul Denton

Elder
23rd Nov 2003, 18:54
Anyone else enjoy finding this little reference to JC and paul....and the plot implications of its content?
:)

TheGibberingFool
23rd Nov 2003, 19:00
*Sighs in sweet ecstacy*

At least THAT still reminds me of Deus Ex. Apparently you meet JC, and I think Paul too, so I expect it is...

Amorpheus
23rd Nov 2003, 19:21
Yes, it also raises some questions to why we always hear of Alex D, and not Denton. Is s/he reluctant to reveal the surname because of the mysticism associated with it? Does s/he even know it?

I can picture it now, while walking through a corridor suddenly JC appears behind the player: "Alex, we need to talk." :p

Sheepy_DeathStorm
23rd Nov 2003, 20:23
this is one of the things i really cant wait for, this is real DX style stuff about to happen. :D

SilasArcher
23rd Nov 2003, 21:02
Now that we've all had a chance to enjoy (stop laughing) the demo, I'm surprised more people are not speculating on what ending they chose from Deus Ex to use for this game. Warren Spector has been tight-lipped about it, but now we have some clues.

Before I begin, here's a refresher on their choices and ours from the first Deus Ex: (quoted from Denton's Databank)

1. Join Illuminati - Rule the world with compassion and an invisible hand alongside Morgan Everett.

2. New Dark Age - Destroying the global communications hub will plunge the world into another dark age -- dark but perhaps free from global tyranny.

3. Merge with Helios AI - Together with Helios, administrate the world with absolute knowledge and reason.

Now looking at the demo, it is readily apparent that the world is not being ruled with a compassionate hand, and JC's practically a myth, so we can toss out #1 right away. Would an active JC really allow Greasel Pitfighting?

We hear talk of 'The Collapse' and that JC may be responsible, so perhaps they chose #2. The world looks a bit like a new Dark Age, albeit with Harriers and ATMs, so that seems reasonable.

Then why all the secrecy? Or, as Alex might say: "I know what your secret is, and I won't let you get away with it!"

Because it could not be that simple, now could it. For all the moaning and writhing about the demo, how do you think the 'die-hard' fans will react to that? Chaos. Mayhem. General destruction.

That would not be good at all. So... (wheels turning) I know!

Let's have JC kill Bob Page, destroy the Aquinas hub AND merge with Helios. By now his body will have rotted away or something so you have to put Humpty Denton back together again, with the help of Paul, so they can nanoaugment everyone on Earth!

How? Hmmm.... I bet that old Aquinas router under the Statue of Liberty is still there.... We'll just send out a virus.

Why? So we can all have little Helios Home Terminals (tm) so everyone can become part of the Helios Voting Station Uplink (tm) occasionally, which will rule the world and we'll all live happily ever-after. The end.

Does that sound very satisfying to players of the original?

----

P.S. To the persons responsible for putting together the demo, you really should not be so sloppy. You think people are not curious?

cball05
23rd Nov 2003, 21:12
"What's the D for?"
"D for Don't Ask"

Why does Alex say this? What is he hiding from?

buzzfunk
23rd Nov 2003, 22:09
I'm surprised more people are not speculating on what ending they chose from Deus Ex to use for this game

SPOILER!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Its already known fact that they choose that all endings happend. Yeah sounds weird but look at the latest Gamespot preview.

Esquire
24th Nov 2003, 00:11
Sadly for me, i haven't been able to play the demo. so can someone please state the basics of what the book about JC and Paul says?

tas42
24th Nov 2003, 00:27
did anybody notice the writing on the walls in the greasel pit? somthig about the templars temple and a date i think? or that "purity" was written on the walls in several places?

Coldfire
24th Nov 2003, 00:32
I think in the game there will be proof that indicate`s one has happened but nobody knows which one.

That`s only a theory though

tas42
24th Nov 2003, 00:51
Originally posted by Esquire
Sadly for me, i haven't been able to play the demo. so can someone please state the basics of what the book about JC and Paul says?

something about JC having been instamental in curing the grey death, but many believe he played a hand in the collapse. it only mentions paul in that it says JC originaly worked for unatco but joined paul and the NSF. it also says something in the end about them being real big amoung conspiricy theroists, but that most believe the died in the collapse

Bob Barker
24th Nov 2003, 01:49
they said it would be a combination of all three endings

Amorpheus
24th Nov 2003, 15:09
The Dentons: Myth and Mystery

Although many of his actions remain shrouded in mystery, we do know that JC Denton played a major role in resolving the Gray Death plague; however, some suspect that he also initiated The Collapse. He began as an agent for UNATCO, but realizing that it was corrupt, he joined his brother Paul and the NSF revolutionaries.

Both JC and Paul remain powerful and mysterious figures in the global imagination, even though no one has heard from either in decades. A few radical thinkers believe the Dentons will return, but most have concluded that they simply perished in The Collapse.

MaxxQ
24th Nov 2003, 15:24
Originally posted by SilasArcher
Let's have JC kill Bob Page, destroy the Aquinas hub AND merge with Helios. By now his body will have rotted away or something so you have to put Humpty Denton back together again, with the help of Paul, so they can nanoaugment everyone on Earth!

How? Hmmm.... I bet that old Aquinas router under the Statue of Liberty is still there.... We'll just send out a virus.

Why? So we can all have little Helios Home Terminals (tm) so everyone can become part of the Helios Voting Station Uplink (tm) occasionally, which will rule the world and we'll all live happily ever-after. The end.

Does that sound very satisfying to players of the original?

----

P.S. To the persons responsible for putting together the demo, you really should not be so sloppy. You think people are not curious?

Hmmmm....sounds like someone went in and looked at the story script for the game. Did you print out all 80 pages?

Myself, I'll hold out until the game is released...I hope - dunno if I have that kind of willpower:D

Esquire
24th Nov 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by Amorpheus

thankyou for that. :cool: