PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait to get this game

telcontar
23rd Nov 2003, 18:34
I played dx1 some time ago and I fell in love with it!
Great gameplay, great atmosphere and most important: great story!

So I was really looking forward to dx2 from the day it was announced.
But then, I saw some screenshots and was kind of dissapointed:
It looked strange and rather not deus ex style.

Then, I downloaded the demo and the intromovie and was stunned.

The game is going to be soooo great. The developers don't try to recycle dx1 by inventing further "adventures" for jc denton like in so many sequels. Don't get me wrong, I like jc...
but it was not possible to maintain a logical plot after the multiple endings of part 1. So they changed him into a mystical figure, that will appear in dx2, but at the same time invented a new character.

The vision of a world, torn between capitalism, religion, technologie and fundamentalism is not so far from our current situation, but still it allowes enough freedom to design a new world full of risks and chances.

as for the gameplay:
many complained about the interface and missing features.I just want to write my opinions concerning some points.

- the interface:
Its great except some minor details...
I can reach everything without an effort after some small key bindings: selection with the mousewheel up and down. focus on biomods [E], focus on toolbelt: push mousewheel.
the only annoying detail: why do I have to use enter in the hackinginterface and so on? right click would be better!!!

- no leaning: leaning was fun, but is not so important, because you can view through walls (even better than in dx1)

- no different ammotypes: who cares? the new weapon mods make up for this all the way! (I LOVE the glas breaking mod!!!)

- no hit locations (is this the right expression?)
I'm not sure about this one... at least headshots should be possible

- no reloading: reloading is an tactical aspect in many games, in most games it is the only one! dx2 doesn't need manual reloading to be complex enough...
the focus should not be on weapon fights, thus reloading should be no issue, because you use only few shots.

- dx2 is a mere shooter?:
just because you are able to shoot your way through (which is not true in dx2, due to few hitpoints) doesn't mean you have to.
besides, using a computerterminal to hack into a turret to fight guards is fun! I'm going to play the game at least twice, trying out violent and nonviolent methods.

- the font is too big: well... yes, you are all right, it is too big. But does this bother all of you so much ? I got used to it in a matter of minutes.

-"You go to a computer and press the 'select' key, nope no login screen, it just starts hackng away automatically"
this is a quote from someone complaining, that dx2 feels consoleish ;)
this guy didn'T even bother to read the descriptions of the biomods... It is a passive biomod that allowes that kind of hacking. the dx1 style hacking is still possible if you dont choose that mod.

- the graphics: they are not mindblowing, but quite good. besides: THIS IS DX2! who cares about the graphics?

enogh said (or better: written)!
I'll go back and play the demo again ;)

This is of course just my personal opinion.
I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Don
23rd Nov 2003, 18:45
I absolutely agree with practically everything you have said. The problem is if you write stuff like this you're labelled a 'fanboy' which really pisses me off.
Too many people wanted a straight follow-on from DX1. Too be honest, I did too. But this game is superb, and that's just from playing the demo.
Anyway, not long now (should arrive on 5th Dec if I'm lucky).

Elder
23rd Nov 2003, 18:49
I echo your sentiments!
dec 3 ....it all begins again
:)

Catman
23rd Nov 2003, 19:01
I finally had a chance to play the demo for a couple hours, and I'm sold.

The lighting and graphics create the sense of a bleak and broken society.
The character interactions were interesting.
The books laying about provided an interesting backstory.
The cat animations were excellent (okay, I'm the only one who really cares about that).
Lots of places to explore, and multiple routes to discover

And I haven't even gone to the bar yet.

The only problem I encountered: I couldn't quite figure how to get out of the elevator shaft. I'm thinking I should have taken a box with me?

I can't wait for the full version.

http://catmanofiowa.com/cps/mrbunny/hop.gif

Breadman
23rd Nov 2003, 19:04
Day this game comes out... it's freakin mine.

Catman, which part of the elevator shaft? The lower part thats colapsed? That part theres a grate you need to open, then climb up the ladder/wall thing and into the thug with the greasels room. In the upper part, all you do is get on the ladder, go to the top, and jump off into the top floor where guards'll yell at you saying not to get on the landing pad...

telcontar
23rd Nov 2003, 19:24
don said:
I absolutely agree with practically everything you have said. The problem is if you write stuff like this you're labelled a 'fanboy' which really pisses me off.

I'm glad that you agree !
but why do you think I act like a fanboy?
and why would that "piss you off" ?

*is confused*

F3nyx
23rd Nov 2003, 19:33
The only problem I encountered: I couldn't quite figure how to get out of the elevator shaft. I'm thinking I should have taken a box with me?You can crouch and jump on the pipes.

The lighting and graphics create the sense of a bleak and broken society.By that you mean that Alex D looks like a corpse? I think I noticed something about why Alex D in particular looks so bad - there doesn't seem to be any lighting on the model. Look for it during conversations and you might see what I mean. Or, just look here (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusexinvisiblewar/screens_6084283.html?page=1).

Compared to the processing the lighting takes, I'm sure it would be peanuts to add some polys to Alex D's face. Considering this is coming out over a year later than UT2003 and uses an upgraded version of the same engine, the models should look at least as good (http://www.gamershell.com:8080/imagefolio/gallery/FPS/Unreal_Tournament_2003/UnrealTournament2003_37.jpg).

This game has loads of potential, no doubt about that. But I don't think it's as good (yet) as it could be.

Don
23rd Nov 2003, 21:13
Originally posted by telcontar
don said:

I'm glad that you agree !
but why do you think I act like a fanboy?
and why would that "piss you off" ?

*is confused*

No, I'm not calling you a fanboy! What I'm saying is that it seems that if you support the game people call you a fanboy. I think it's great to find people who aren't nitpicking and instead accepting the new style of gameplay. By the looks of things, some people are already changing their minds in favour of the game after playing the demo a bit more.

Sotos
23rd Nov 2003, 21:16
I just hope the final version of these game beeing better from the demo...

gord
23rd Nov 2003, 21:23
some very true comments, and refreshing from the monosyllabic grunts this forum has been dissipating recently

the graphics were slightly disappointing, considering my pc spec, and the money i have just invested in it, but that does justify my grudge.....the people with lower spec machines complaining, this next generation game isnt working, does niggle me

ABRAXAAS
23rd Nov 2003, 22:08
YAY! a normal thread, I too eagerly await its release, cant wait to sit back and get enthralled in a massive storry, and constantly go "ooohh i dont know what do" :D its gonna be a blast just over a week to go

tas42
23rd Nov 2003, 22:26
Originally posted by Catman
And I haven't even gone to the bar yet.

when you do get into the bar, be sure to knock over and roll arround some flaming barrels. the lighting effects are unbelievable!

as for getting out of the elevator shaft, you can go out the way you came in, or up the shaft. i too though that (and getting through windows) was a bit tough, but its just a matter of getting used to crouching, backing up a little, then moving forward and jumping.

al_bundy
23rd Nov 2003, 22:51
it's really weird, there does seem to be a different feeling around the forum today.....i must say, i actually really like the demo now and cannot wait for the game!!!! yesterday i posted that i would give it 7/10 based on the demo, but having played it a few more times it would def be higher, maybe not as high as 9 but def close to it. One guy gave me stick for giving it as high as 7 but seriously, having played it loads now (and keeping coming back to it) i am convinced that it is going to be a great game, esp if the little probs that the demo does have are ironed out either b4 release or soon after with a patch.

seriously guys, this game is going to turn out to be really really good, i have a feeling and i hope that i'm right!!!

Amorpheus
23rd Nov 2003, 23:03
The only problem I encountered: I couldn't quite figure how to get out of the elevator shaft. As others have pointed out, you can either climb up the vent or go over the pipes. I found the latter to often be frustrating, as movement is iffy there. Havok doesn't like us trying to stand on round things?

Zeus
23rd Nov 2003, 23:17
Let's put it this way. The demo rocks, the bashers suck, and I have yet to experience a bug or crash.

Unified ammo: Not a bug, a feature. All guns use nano energy, this is the future DUH!

No headshots: My only beef with the game. Headshots definatly must be in. No matter what.

Bad HUD: This is a feature of IW. You're seeing through the guy's eyes, this is what he is seeing as he lives his life. I actually think the HUD is awesome and original.

No stealth: HAH! Yeah I guess since you played a level in a demo that you can't even use stealth in, (except the gob trainers apartment, which I can be stealthy in) means that there is no stealth in the full game. /sarcasm

Font too big: You people complain about this? If it bothers you so much you can change the size like I did (search around and you will find it). It's not that big of a deal really.

Guys, don't lose hope in IW. Don't listen to these guys complaining about everything that doesn't go their way. Like "wahhh the font is too big", or "wahh the HUD sucks im not buying the game mommy!". Well I say good, they don't deserve to play the goodness that is DX:IW.

Example:

I go to the gob pit and bet on green dragon. The gobs come out of the chutes and start fighting. After many spits at each other, shutterbug goes down. I talk to shutterbugs trainer and shes like "poor girl, this was her first fight". Thats cool how the game recognizes that instead of saying the same thing over and over. While the match is cleaning up I talk to Eddie, greendragons trainer. He tells me that the champ Gob-zilla is gonna be fighting his gob and he knows he will lose. He want me to go cook gob-zilla at the trainers house. So I sneak into the house, wait till the trainer walks out, and kill her with the knife. Gobzilla notices and attacks me, so I kill him and go back to the gob pit. The fight starts and the bookie tells me that gobzilla dies and that Claw is coming to fight. I bet on snake eyes and he wins in one shot. I win 900 credits and now have enough money to bail out Sid's jet. Or I could have just killed everyone in the apartment and completed the mission.

Call me a fanboy if you want, I don't care, all I know is that IW rocks.

MaxxQ
23rd Nov 2003, 23:45
@ Catman: Did you notice that the cats will even rub their heads up on you occasionally? I loved that little addition.

@ Zeus: Headshots are there, but for an unmodded pistol, damage is intentionally low. Either Krypt or Chris Carollo mentioned that they were going to look at the damage values for headshots. For those complaining about it, location damage IS there for NPC's, but not the PC, but it's just weaker while the weapon is unmodded. Also, one shot, one kill (headshots) are very much there when using the sniper rifle.

As for the betting, I mentioned elsewhere that I actually lost a bet when I bet 500 credits on Green Dragon. I'm going back later to try some different things and see how often I lose betting on what appears to be the obvious winner. On my third playthrough, though, I ended the demo with over 2500 credits.

Dabs
23rd Nov 2003, 23:47
[B]

The only problem I encountered: I couldn't quite figure how to get out of the elevator shaft. I'm thinking I should have taken a box with me?

There's a ladder in the elevator shaft. Just climb up. (?)

F3nyx
23rd Nov 2003, 23:50
No stealth: HAH! Yeah I guess since you played a level in a demo that you can't even use stealth in, (except the gob trainers apartment, which I can be stealthy in) means that there is no stealth in the full game.People are saying this because of the new prod, baton, and knife. While in the original those weapons started off functional, and became seriously badass if you leveled up - now you have to install biomods for them to be useful at all.

I used to sneak around, killing unsuspecting MJ12s with my knife - and that was with my Low-tech skill only at Trained. Now, if you want a knife kill, you have to hack away for quite a while. If you want to take a guy out with a prod, guess what, everyone within a mile will know about it. If you want to lay down some smack with the baton, too bad, your muscles have atrophied to the point where a blow from a hefty stick hardly makes a foe wince.

As problems go, this isn't a difficult one - make the weapons a little stronger. I know they're trying to enhance the functionality of the biomods, but really, this is a cheesy way to do it.

"They just don't make them sticks like they used to..."
"Damn right, Jeb, damn right... hah, remember in the good ol' days, when pistols used real bullets that pierced skin?"
"Yep. Now it's all nay-no this, nay-no that..."

tas42
23rd Nov 2003, 23:52
al_bundy, i think a lot of people felt that way. it does take a little time to get used to the new setup, especilay if your used to the original, and doubly so if you just finished playing DX1 a couple of times while waiting for IW :D i too think this game will be great, and cant wait to get it.

ABRAXAAS
23rd Nov 2003, 23:53
I decided to play the demo differently, trying not to kill any people, and getting the $1000 for mrs sax, it was all going well, i talked to her headed back to the bar, bet on a griesle fight, got some money, then had to rig the game by killing that griesle in the apartment, what i did was threw a spider bomb in the grieslles cage, and saw fighting so i assumed it was dead, and went and bet on the match, unfortunatley the trainer must have killed the spider bot before it killed teh griesle cause i put all my cash on what i thought was a sure thing, and out comes god zilla and whups the other grielse and i lost all my money so i had no choice but to kill everyone LOL!

but its just to much fun

James Warren
24th Nov 2003, 05:19
Despite my immediate fascination with the original Deus Ex demo there was a significant learning curve for me that was made easy for me by my strong motivation to see what was going on in the story.

The Invisible War demo had a learning curve for me too that, without the same immersion in a story, had me disliking the HUD and darkness at first but after a few experiments I figured it out and I now like the new lighting and HUD especially after changing the default.ini file (FOV__d=70) to push the circular HUD to the edges of the monitor where it is completely unobtrusive to me. This happened FASTER for me than in the original game. Thats because, did ya notice, it's been simplified! (sorry bad joke given the current mood of the board)

No Catman you are NOT the only one. I loved the cats and the good animation for them in Deus Ex too. I even liked the crazy cat lady. The vicarious "cat bashing" on the data cube describing a cat as the perfect food for the Greezel reminded me of my days as the Zoology professor's pet nerd in her lab where I had to feed live rats to rattle snakes to keep an expensive experiment going. I always rooted for the little mammals. I have never liked reptiles very much. I just can't imagine myself ever feeding a graceful cat to a nasty spitting lizard-bird. It was a pleasure to find different ways to kill the damed thing! Maybe I found a little virtual revenge many years after the fact?

I have never yet spared the keeper deliberately. Once, however, when I was experimenting with the shotgun, she dodged, I missed her and she ran down the hall. After I had taken care of Gobzilla and collected the goodies I went looking for her and she ran from me and cowered in the closet of apartment 21. I tried talking to her but she ran from me again back into her apartment where she was killed by the spider bot that I had released previously to combat the spider bot that the keeper had originally thrown at me. Oh well, serves her right for being a "lizard lover." I realize that I probably could have left without killing the keeper after having shot Gobzilla through the window but I was always greedy for the goodies in her apartment. In Deus Ex I am not committed to non-violence as a personal standard, I am just greedy for the whole game and don't want to miss out on any interesting conversation the characters have for me. Dead characters always seem to have much less to say than live ones.

Zeus{I talk to shutterbugs trainer and shes like "poor girl, this was her first fight".}
I love the trainers Jersey accent and her pronunciation of Chakras. Ha! Ha! If she's got 52 "cheddar seekers" she *must* be hungry.
The second gob fight after you kill gobzilla is a sure win but I couldn't always win on the first round.
I also like the guy that never bets. He gives a good rational for why this ugly spectacle is "justice."
What, however, is "Feeb speak?"

I haven't had a problem with straight sneaking. I crouch, keep out of direct view of the guards and hack and move right past them pausing, occasionally to listen to their conversations and mutterings. "I could make as much working for QweeQwegs."

This demo is, for me, STILL Deus Ex. It plays like it and, after a few tries, captivates the imagination like it.
I remain eager for the release of Invisible War and will get it as soon as it is available. My equipment, although no longer the very latest (that will come with the release of HL2 and the lowest possible hardware prices) runs the demo with everything turned up at 1024 by768 smoothly with no crashes or false starts so far. The Nvidia Ti4600 seems more than adequate to the task.

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 05:28
Im tired of waiting now i wanna play the full game already..one thing i just remembered about the original deusex was, when i first bought it, i started playing it and didnt like it, so i put it back in the box. A few months later i figured i pay'd $70 can for it so i may aswell give it another go, and after forcing my way through a bit of tediousness, i started liking it then i loved it and now its one of my fondest gaming memories.

just a little remanising :D

telcontar
24th Nov 2003, 06:01
for all those, who complained about the big font and the blurry controlls:
http://www.deusexzone.info/forum/thread.php?threadid=594&sid=

This is a thread, with information about altering the demo to look more like the final pc version...
(it's in german though)

IconoclastDX
24th Nov 2003, 06:52
AH HA!!!! I caught you ABRAXAAS!! You are an xbox player. Once more, you played DX1 on teh xbox! I knew it. Ive never seen you admit it before (though you might have) but I could tell.

MaxxQ
24th Nov 2003, 07:16
Originally posted by IconoclastDX
AH HA!!!! I caught you ABRAXAAS!! You are an xbox player. Once more, you played DX1 on teh xbox! I knew it. Ive never seen you admit it before (though you might have) but I could tell.

Huh? DX1 was never made for the XBox, and where did he say he played it on the XBox. :confused:

Or is this some sort of joke that just went over my head?

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 07:49
Originally posted by MaxxQ
Huh? DX1 was never made for the XBox, and where did he say he played it on the XBox. :confused:

Or is this some sort of joke that just went over my head?

i think he's just retarded, DX1 was never on the xbox, i played it on the PC but yes i am a XBOX player i own an xbox, and a PS2 and a gamecube and a Gameboy advance sp and a atari2600 and a verey expensive computer. Im not a video game nazi i dont feel that all games need to be played on teh PC alone. I like all systems that can bring me games i enjoy. you CONSOLE RACIST!

Darkhelm
24th Nov 2003, 08:19
I will get it on the day of release, i.e. I like it! :)

Bonk
24th Nov 2003, 08:24
If I owned a console system I would buy this game in a second. Since I dont, looking at the current state of the game, I might just pass on this one.

This game would rock for a console game and console games are were the money is so its easy to see their design decisions

Follow the money trail :D

Darkhelm
24th Nov 2003, 08:42
Originally posted by Bonk
If I owned a console system I would buy this game in a second. Since I dont, looking at the current state of the game, I might just pass on this one.

This game would rock for a console game and console games are were the money is so its easy to see their design decisions

Follow the money trail :D

Um, Bonk, you shouldn't whine about being flamed for opposing Deus Ex 2 one minute, and then go mock other people for liking the game, hmmkay? :rolleyes:

Viking2
24th Nov 2003, 10:06
Well, at least there's now a positive thread on this forum, so that I can do something other than just agree. Though I believe it may be just a little too positive. There's got to be SOMETHING wrong with the game if 80% of the community is outraged, even though many of those 80% will still buy the game. This is not just for this forum- I believe there's a thread on that, with links to like 8 forums riddled with negativity about this game. That's really something. All the negative points that the person who started the thread can't be so easily solved with just a positive attitude and the willingless to look past flaws. While that may be the case for all you positive thinkers, I think the general karma of this forum is pretty freaking negative, which means that those flaws are not based on nothing, and that most people, such as myself, can't accept them.

zakrocz
24th Nov 2003, 11:08
Originally posted by Viking2
Well, at least there's now a positive thread on this forum, so that I can do something other than just agree. Though I believe it may be just a little too positive. There's got to be SOMETHING wrong with the game if 80% of the community is outraged, even though many of those 80% will still buy the game. This is not just for this forum- I believe there's a thread on that, with links to like 8 forums riddled with negativity about this game. That's really something. All the negative points that the person who started the thread can't be so easily solved with just a positive attitude and the willingless to look past flaws. While that may be the case for all you positive thinkers, I think the general karma of this forum is pretty freaking negative, which means that those flaws are not based on nothing, and that most people, such as myself, can't accept them.

It wasn't long ago that the same negative reaction across the gaming forums including the official Gearbox forum was directed towards the PC 'port' of Halo. But instead of the hardcore attacking the gameplay, which they couldn't because it was identical, they spewed their hatred onto the graphics and allegedly poor performance. Didn't mean they were right though. The game went on to claim the number 1 spot in the US all format charts, which is a quite an achievement for a 2 year old game.

Viking2
24th Nov 2003, 11:30
I doubt that caused as much of an uproar as this demo when it was released. Halo coming to PC from xbox was just a port. I don't care, I've never played Halo, I saw it as stupidity personified.

However, people here aren't just blaming things blindly. We're not just "hardcore fans". Hell, many optimists were transferred to the pessimistic side for a while, until finally they fooled themselves into believing that the demo was good after all. I'm not saying the game won't win awards. I'm sure it will. The problem is, it will win awards because it's targeting a whole new audience, leaving its former fans in the dust. The changes they made simply alienated the whole PC audience, not because we were trying to get a new version of the first game, but because we have something to compare this game to, and its flaws are much greater and numerous than the original's. Gaming magazines and websites compare games to whatever else is out right now, and they don't take into account that this is, in fact, a sequel, and it shies in shame in front of the original Deus Ex. Compared to the other stupid bull*hit we've been getting lately, then, yeah, Deus Ex:IW is good. However, it doesn't deserve to carry the Deus Ex name, in my opinion.

zakrocz
24th Nov 2003, 11:52
I doubt that caused as much of an uproar as this demo when it was released. Halo coming to PC from xbox was just a port. I don't care, I've never played Halo, I saw it as stupidity personified.

The massive negative reaction to PC Halo was just like the one currently being experienced by the IW Demo. In fact it's still going on now. And reading the Gearbox posts from the developers, it's clear that the Halo PC port was a lot more involved than your typical port.

To not play Halo is to deny yourself one of the most glorious video game experiences of all time, similar to not playing Deus Ex 1. Both games aren't perfect, but both show just what can be achieved within the FPS genre.

ABRAXAAS
24th Nov 2003, 11:54
Originally posted by zakrocz
The massive negative reaction to PC Halo was just like the one currently being experienced by the IW Demo. In fact it's still going on now. And reading the Gearbox posts from the developers, it's clear that the Halo PC port was a lot more involved than your typical port.

To not play Halo is to deny yourself one of the most glorious video game experiences of all time, similar to not playing Deus Ex 1. Both games aren't perfect, but both show just what can be achieved within the FPS genre.

Agreed i love Halo and im so glad i had my xbox to play it when it first came out cause it was truly amaizing

zakrocz
24th Nov 2003, 12:05
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
Agreed i love Halo and im so glad i had my xbox to play it when it first came out cause it was truly amaizing

I think I might just have to bite the bullet next year and part with my cash and buy an Xbox so I can play Halo 2 and, I know it's not very likely in 2004, Perfect Dark Zero.

I think I've finally outgrown Nintendo consoles. Sorry Nintendo but I don't really want to play the likes of Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg anymore.

HKRaven
24th Nov 2003, 12:38
Well i finnaly got the demo and it runs like a dream on my comp(P4 1.7ghz, 256mb RAM geforce 3 Ti200) att 800x600 and all settings on low(wich ofcourse dumps the gfx down to DX1 level but what the heck) as for the game it self i'd say it's pretty good. The weapons are powerful enough(can down guards in 1 hit w/ shotgun) but the inventory is kind of annoying. Also it's abit hard to tell how much life you got. They should put it at the bottom so you dont have to look away from the "action" to see it. I'll probably get it for XBOX if i dont find anything else to buy(GTA: 2x Pack holds the top spot.) The "limited" inventory and biomod lists adds to the "strategy" parts seens you have to choose what to take into a fight. I'd give it a 7.5/10. Got some "child-hood problems" that they hopefully work out befor the release.

The Grim Reaper
24th Nov 2003, 12:41

you have played the original DX, right ?
then you should replay it several more times since the FPS part is a very small aspect of the game.

No offence but I'd suggest that you withdraw that comparison between Halo and the original DX because it makes you look like a twelve year old idiot.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Nov 2003, 13:56
It's funny, I have the impression, while reading this forum, that each poster who didn't like the demo created his own thread/poll, and then decided to post in every other bashing post, and the praying posters all kept to this one thread.

I must say I read a lot more interesting comments here than in all the other threads (even the critics were more interesting).

so as soon as I can find the money for a new card and the game, I think I will still play it.

Esquire
24th Nov 2003, 16:04
i haven't played the demo! so it's paining me to hear all this banter about it! anywho, because of this, i'll still be buying the full game. Even though it looks like more people dislike the demo.

I think what we all need right now (relating to DXIW) is either
a) a new and improved demo
b) a short video clip from the final build of the game
c) a review stating that the game is great

for me, the video clip could simply be alexd walking around talking to unimportant people or alexd overhearing a conversation as he lies in a air vent. i don't mind too much.

Catman
24th Nov 2003, 16:14
On getting out of the elevator: Actually, it was the computer's fault. I installed the demo on a different machine and had no trouble getting out of the elevator.

zakrocz
24th Nov 2003, 18:03
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper
you have played the original DX, right ?
then you should replay it several more times since the FPS part is a very small aspect of the game.

No offence but I'd suggest that you withdraw that comparison between Halo and the original DX because it makes you look like a twelve year old idiot.

To who, maybe to the likes of you, the hardcore fanboy brigade who have played the game dozens of times. But to the balanced individual I probably sound like an informed gamer who played the game, thought that was great fun, then moved on to other things.

Obviously daring to mention anything else in the same breath as the Holy Grail that is Deus Ex is heresy.

For the record I think Perfect Dark has a lot of similarities to Deus Ex and is a better game too. Wonder what age that makes me look?

Tenkahubu
24th Nov 2003, 18:49
Just for the record, I started the playing the demo looking for flaws. But the more you play it the more you forget about making comparisons and try to ignore the faults. I know it would be nice if there were none, but no game is faultless. Yes, even DX1.
One problem I had was when I was in the sewer hunting the 2 greasels. I had a spiderbot buddy to my left and a greasel came round a pipe to the right - it saw the bot and started phlegming on it. I placed my recticle right on the greasel's head but it didnt turn red and I couldnt shoot it. It was because an invisible barrier (part of the pipe) was in the way. I hope this problem isnt going to crop up much because it was annoying. Anyone else experience this?
Otherwise, it's cool. I love the atmosphere.

The Grim Reaper
24th Nov 2003, 23:28
To who, maybe to the likes of you, the hardcore fanboy brigade who have played the game dozens of times. But to the balanced individual I probably sound like an informed gamer who played the game, thought that was great fun, then moved on to other things.

moved on to something better or equally good and not something ten times worse.

Obviously daring to mention anything else in the same breath as the Holy Grail that is Deus Ex is heresy.
oh no, you can mention any other AAA game and compare it to Deus Ex i.e. System Shock but definatly not an everage shooter which only has to offer shiny graphics.

For the record I think Perfect Dark has a lot of similarities to Deus Ex and is a better game too. Wonder what age that makes me look?
I don't do consoles so I can't comment.

Grey Mouser
24th Nov 2003, 23:34

The cat animations were excellent (okay, I'm the only one who really cares about that).

http://catmanofiowa.com/cps/mrbunny/hop.gif

Well, not the ONLY one... :)

zakrocz
25th Nov 2003, 09:46

oh no, you can mention any other AAA game and compare it to Deus Ex i.e. System Shock but definatly not an everage shooter which only has to offer shiny graphics.

halo = average shooter

Now who sounds like the 12 year old now, hahaha

The Grim Reaper
25th Nov 2003, 10:40
halo = average shooter

Now who sounds like the 12 year old now, hahaha

lets see, you run through near infinite corridors picking up weapons and grenades and shoot things, then you have those closed "survival" spaces where enemies keep pouring in for half an hour and you shoot them for half an hour, then you run through some more infinite corridors and then you get to drive a vehicle while shooting stuff.
and then of course you need to back track all those corridors(while you keep shooting stuff) since otherwise the game wouldn't've been long and monotonius enough.

Have I lmissed anything ?

Viking2
25th Nov 2003, 10:47
Halo sucks. Boo. Bad Halo.

zakrocz
25th Nov 2003, 11:20
lets see, you run through near infinite corridors picking up weapons and grenades and shoot things, then you have those closed "survival" spaces where enemies keep pouring in for half an hour and you shoot them for half an hour, then you run through some more infinite corridors and then you get to drive a vehicle while shooting stuff.
and then of course you need to back track all those corridors(while you keep shooting stuff) since otherwise the game wouldn't've been long and monotonius enough.

Have I lmissed anything ?

Well apart from everything that made the game great, no nothing at all.

You stay in your elitist PC world, while any self respecting veteran of the fps appeciates just what a breath of fresh air Halo was to a stale, predictable genre that had failed to produce anything worthwhile since Perfect Dark.

The Grim Reaper
25th Nov 2003, 12:07
Well apart from everything that made the game great, no nothing at all.

You stay in your elitist PC world, while any self respecting veteran of the fps appeciates just what a breath of fresh air Halo was to a stale, predictable genre that had failed to produce anything worthwhile since Perfect Dark.

why don't you list those great highlights ?

I'll gladly stay in my elitist PC world as soon as people like you stop dragging my elite PC games down to the average garbage level.

Esquire
25th Nov 2003, 15:49
anywho, whenever i read about the demo i slowly lose interest in dxiw. it's a sad state this forums in nowadays. so much hating. it's like some sort of great collapse!

The reason i will buy dxiw no matter what, is that i am wanting to find out what happened after dx1. and all those people that were lost along the way... jc.., paul... tong....

definately buying the game. no matter what.

James Warren
25th Nov 2003, 17:54
Esquire{whenever i read about the demo i slowly lose interest in dxiw.}

Look for trouble anywhere in this world and you *will* find it. I suggest that your mind is being poisoned by reading the hysterical negative posts by people who are angry that the game was not developed for the many PC memory and display models FIRST and THEN "shoe horned" into the more cramped memory of the Xbox. Personally, I think that they did a truly brilliant job of making this game work on their minimum target. And, for me, it is STILL Deus Ex. If you want to get more depressed than you already are then just keep reading the new "let's force them to make a different game than they have" threads popping up every hour.

If, however, you want to run the demo and see for yourself then you can make the same TWO changes that I have made and run it well. Namely, change mouslag to 0 and expand the HUD to the very edges of your monitor with a value of 70. They made TWO numeric oversights shipping the PC demo. IF that's a deal breaker for you then you can quit reading my post now and call me fanboy! At my age *that* would be a compliment.

There was a learning curve to the old user interface. There is a learning curve to the new user interface. I have found the new user interface to be superior to the old one in EVERY way. I EASILY learned it to my complete satisfaction *without* consulting a manual faster than the old one which, necessarily, included some reading of instructions before I was happy with my understanding of it. With the HUD expanded to the edges of the screen I can slide the opacity to100% and experience no interference to my view of the world at all. It works as advertised!!

The bottom line that I would like to leave you with is that when you can finally run the demo or the full game, look for the fun you can make with it and you won't be disappointed. If, however, you want to be angry about being "swindled" I suggest that you can find that in the original game too if you look hard enough.

Iron_Weasel
25th Nov 2003, 18:19
Halo sucks. Boo. Bad Halo.

I don't care, I've never played Halo, I saw it as stupidity personified [...]

Talking out of your ass can cause bad breath. :p

telcontar
25th Nov 2003, 20:01
*off topic*
Just some words on halo
I was really looking forwart to this game, when it was first announced, but then microsoft decided to flex their financial muscles. Eventually halo got dragged of to the x-box.
Now, after 2 years (i guess) it came out and I saw it at a friends pc. My first thought was: wow! this would be so great... two years ago.
I mean, just in the begining, the scene outside the spaceship would have been breathtaking. Nowerdays, Homeworld 2 manages better graphics and shipdesign with whole fleets.
The unprecise mousecontroll kills the rest of the game.
So I'm not against halo. I'm sure back then, it was a great x-box game, but it is just not what I expect form a contemporary computer action title.
Just like me, many other pc players were dissapointed and felt betrayed, that they had to wait 2 years longer to get a game that just can't live up to nowerdays standards anymore.
Lets face it: halo lived from its graphics and they are more than a bit outdated...
Still all this anti-xbox flaming is not a sign of maturity.
I don't posess a console, because I don't want to play without a mouse and proper patches, expansions or mods.
But whoever plays x-box or ps2 or gamecube is not to be considered "inferior". Games are about fun and nothing else.

I hope I didn't insult anyone.
I just want to show that disagreeing doesn't have to lead to harsh words.
*/off topic*

Catman
25th Nov 2003, 20:14
Originally posted by telcontar
Games are about fun and nothing else.A most excellent point.