PDA

View Full Version : News Flash! There Is Locational Damage

StuffGuy
23rd Nov 2003, 17:13
Thats right, It takes ~7 body shots to take down the guard in front of the building, it takes only ~4 headshots. Why thats still a ridiculous number of headshots.... it means that all the Devs have to do to fix it is go in and change the damages around.

Personally, that will fix my one big problem with the demo.

It would also help if the AI's "friendly fire" allowance only worked when there was actual combat going on... and not when you walk up to them, aim at there face, and pull the trigger.

Who thinks they should make these changes?

F3nyx
23rd Nov 2003, 17:24
I'm all for tweaking the locational damage ratios. That would help a lot.

It would also help if the AI's "friendly fire" allowance only worked when there was actual combat going on... and not when you walk up to them, aim at there face, and pull the trigger. Excellent idea. I think that would accomplish the devs' goals without making the game too forgiving.

GingerNinja
23rd Nov 2003, 17:27
Hell yes. Make them only be pasive to shots when they are friendly and in fireing mode or sumthing!

Anything but this.

Elder
23rd Nov 2003, 17:33
One of the developers stated that there was localized damage( over at the ion boards) ...i

F3nyx
23rd Nov 2003, 17:50
Yes, it's in. However, it's not properly adjusted - as it is, headshots are doing maybe 1.5x as much damage as a body shot. That ratio needs to be higher.

To me, it seems like grunts are capable of taking way too many bullets, period. Anyone who can take 6 bullets to the chest and stay on their feet is superhuman. Try shooting the guards with the turret, for instance - they take something like a dozen bullets before they die!

They need to find better ways to make battles longer. Some improved combat AI would be nice...

StuffGuy
23rd Nov 2003, 18:14
I saw in the locational body damage poll a link to a thread on the IS forums about editing the ini. Apparently most of the things that make the game seem slightly under polished (the huge fonts) and the damage ratios can all be edited from inside there. Heck.... it looks like if you knew what you were doing you could solve 95% of peoples complaints in under half an hour. My confidence in the devs is rising. If not... well, we can always fix it ourselves after release.

Don
23rd Nov 2003, 18:38
Originally posted by StuffGuy
If not... well, we can always fix it ourselves after release.

That is true, but to me it wouldn't feel....right. I haven't made the mods people have put forward because of this. I just hope the devs will make the changes themselves. I think they will too, since it would be in their interest and won't take much effort.
Having said that I think the game is superb. At first I wasn't so sure, since I guess I wanted (as most people here did) a game that was basically a follow-on from DX1 (it seems like some wanted a carbon-copy with better graphics). But once you get used to it you find it's a stunning game in it's own right.
And if you don't like it, there will always be DX1 to go back to. You can't expect the same originality and surprise from a sequel.