PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Tweaks?

Five.Pointe.O
23rd Nov 2003, 14:23
This demo seems to have required a LOT of tweaking, just to get it to run right and look right... I now worry about the Xbox version, since it simply can't be "tweaked" whenever you dislike a certain feature. If I can't kill with 1 headshot in the demo, then I will probably not buy the final game for the Xbox(RENT anyone?). There's no reason to make the Xbox version be for children ages 10 and under, believe it or not there are some very mature people that own and play the Xbox.

If 1 shot kills weren't considered important for the PC, then I highly doubt they will be considered important for the Xbox.. and that really sucks.

Just had to post something about this, maybe a dev will respond (I hope so)... too late anyway I guess :eek: :eek:

HKRaven
23rd Nov 2003, 14:39
I havent tried the demo yet(D/L now) but i'd imagen that both the character and the weapons in the demo are *FAR* from full powered. Has it ever occured to anyone that the reason there isnt 1 shot dead or KO is simply becuase you got a ****ty character with a ****ty weapon?

Random
23rd Nov 2003, 15:13
Remember how in DX1, if you used a baton with your melee skill at a basic level, it would take multiple hits to KO a guy? Well, in DX:IW if you install the strength biomod, you can take down enemies much quicker. It's the same system, but it just uses a biomod instead of skills.

If you're a stealthy, non-lethal player, you will choose to install the strength biomod early in the game, just how you would upgrade your melee skills early on in DX1. The strength biomod just wasn't present in the demo, which was probably a mistake.

I bet there are lots of people complaining that the shotgun doesn't do enough damage, while at the same time complaining that the baton doesn't do enough damage. Did you ever think that maybe, just like in DX1, you have to mould your character to make those weapons more effective? You can't be the crazed shotgun-toting psychopath and the quiet, baton-wielding ninja at the same time. Choose the biomods that suit.

What I would have liked to see in the demo is a menu when you start that asks which biomods you'd like to install. Of course they can't show all of them, but a wider variety, allowing that all-important player choice, would have been good.

HKRaven
23rd Nov 2003, 15:46
My point exactly.

Devin the Dude
23rd Nov 2003, 16:18
I think the OXM review could have said somthing if a point blank head shot by a pistol did not kill. They ripped XIII for having head shots at distance not do more.

Five.Pointe.O
23rd Nov 2003, 16:31
I don't know about that Devin, OXM have been praising this game since day one basically.

And about the shotgun not being more powerful.... I understand the baton and strength mod thing, but how could a biomod possibly make a gun more powerful? As I understand it, you get pinpoint aim all the time no matter what (no expanding crosshair), so missing isn't even an issue.

So basically, you can 1 hit KO enemies with JUST melee weapons? That would be fine with me, I just don't think it's too realistic (I know DX didn't win awards for being realistic, but headshots still killed.).

My question still stands.. will the damage be/was the damage tweaked for the Xbox version so that 1 shot to the head with a GUN, kills?

I haven't played the PC demo either.

F3nyx
23rd Nov 2003, 16:40
I bet there are lots of people complaining that the shotgun doesn't do enough damage, while at the same time complaining that the baton doesn't do enough damage. Did you ever think that maybe, just like in DX1, you have to mould your character to make those weapons more effective? You can't be the crazed shotgun-toting psychopath and the quiet, baton-wielding ninja at the same time. Choose the biomods that suit. This doesn't explain why the pistol is effectively equivalent to a BB gun. My "gunslinger" biomod or what-have-you may make my aim more accurate. However, in point-blank, barrel-to-back-of-the-head situations, all that matters is pulling the trigger, whether it be the shotgun, the pistol, the SMG, any firearm - skill doesn't matter there. They should really find a better way for biomods to increase the effectiveness of guns.

And why can't I be highly capable with both shotguns and batons? In Deus Ex, I went for a well-rounded character, leveling up in Rifle, Low-tech and Computer. I can understand a baton needing a little skill/biomodification to be fully effective - however, basic functionality of firearms is a must. All that stuff about being able to pinpoint vital organs and whatnot is a crock, behind-the-scenes number-crunching wizardry.

Devin the Dude
23rd Nov 2003, 16:56
I know OXM is bias to games that other consoles cant handel but with all the FPS on the Xbox they would have said somthing if a game that relies on stealth required you to literaly fill a head with lead point blank to kill. I could be wrong they had been jocking this game for a while, but this is a problem that would have stood out like a sore thumb. I might get the OXM today and I will talk about whatever negative things they said about it.

The Glome
23rd Nov 2003, 18:43
I got my OXM yesterday. They said the only main problem was the framerate, which hovers around 25 - 30 fps. Also, they said it was a little too short. However, they LOVED everything else. I can't wait for the game.

Jesus, P.I.
24th Nov 2003, 00:22
Originally posted by HKRaven
I havent tried the demo yet(D/L now) but i'd imagen that both the character and the weapons in the demo are *FAR* from full powered. Has it ever occured to anyone that the reason there isnt 1 shot dead or KO is simply becuase you got a ****ty character with a ****ty weapon?

I thought that Ion Storm was trying to move away from the idea
that you start the game out as an ineffective wannabe.

At least in DX1 from the very start you could get 1-hit KO's with the pistol, the prod, and the knife.