PDA

View Full Version : A Letter To Ion Storm



TheGibberingFool
23rd Nov 2003, 10:39
Originally posted by dimple
Universal ammo? No hit locations? No reloading? No leaning? Retarded interface?

Oh please someone tell me they're going to put all these things in... oh please God. My already wavering optimism is quickly fading the more I read these forums. They were the things I was looking forward to, apart from the story... Don't care about reloading to be honest or the universal ammo, but no hit locations? No leaning? Retarded interface?

I will still buy the game, but I can't believe that they haven't put these things in... I would have gone for Deus Ex 1 graphics rather than this spangly PPX stuff, just to have leaning. Just to have hit zones. I would have quickly swapped the physics for a good interface... :(

Why? Why God oh why?

Dear Ion Storm,

Please make a patch for your PC fans that gives us leaning, a good interface like the first one, and hit zones.

Love,
All your diminishing Deus Ex fans xx

Tassadar5000
23rd Nov 2003, 10:48
No offense but if indeed this game has fallen to greed, then prefacing any complaints with "i'm still going to buy this game!" doesn't promote the devs to work on solutions to the problems.

TheGibberingFool
23rd Nov 2003, 11:01
I hope to appeal to their sensitive side. ;) It would be a sad day indeed to see Ion Storm only thinking of their wallets. A very sad day.

MonkeyLungs
23rd Nov 2003, 11:10
right because they feed their children with your love :rolleyes:

they have to think about their wallets but to me it seems they have not abandoned art either.

you guys are so focussed on the negative it just sounds childish to me and i have a hard time taking any of you seriously. leaning, reloading, ammo types, and some skills do not make deus ex feel like deus ex to me, the story, the dialogue, the relatively open ended level design are what made deus ex for me.

TheGibberingFool
23rd Nov 2003, 11:16
Originally posted by MonkeyLungs
you guys are so focussed on the negative it just sounds childish to me


Heeeelll no. I'm still going to buy the game. I still love it, but there are things... there are things in it that should not be there. I was bouncing around the house like a madman shouting "DEUS EX TWOOOOO! COME TO ME, BABY!" and I'm usually the kind of person that wouldn't do that at all. My housemates thought I'd gone bananas. Because I had.

But my undying love for this game is sadly - tragically - cut short of what it should be because of it's ... dumbeddowniness. :(

Baloon
23rd Nov 2003, 12:04
First off I must say that I am a huge DX fan. DXI is one of my favourite games really high.
But I hate the demo. Well not as much the demo as the gameplay.

-INVENTORY: The inventory has been... massacred. In DXI there was the strategic placement of weapons, here it's a simplified arcade inventory for consoles (Xbox....). This is a MAJOR turnoff. What is the matter with the old one? It was perfect to me.

-HACKING: Childishly easy. Not to mention made for consoles (only use directional keys + enter). Wheres the username and password from DXI? Also the ATMs? Wheres the hacking time left line? Damn, this is tottaly off.

-GRAPHICS+PHYSICS: SUPERB, but some texturs are really ugly.

-INTERFACE: Again, massacred. The one from DXI where you could access the inventory, augs, logs, pics sectiones from one place in GREAT. This one is crap.

-DYNAMIC CROSSHAIR: Ouch! Feels like Im playing some cheap arcade shooter. I can run around, jump and Ill still hit the guy. Ouch!

-BODY PARTS (WHEN DAMAGED): I dont know why you took that away it was nice. You lose a leg, you crawl. Headshot - you die.
Here - nothing. Oh and I once shot that woman in the HEAD from POINT BLANK range and she DIDNT die. OUCH!

-UNIVERSAL AMMO: WHAT??? Flamethrower and pistol? Shotgun and SMG? This is just funny. It was great when you could take different ammo types in DXI reload them. Here... nothing!

-MUSIC: I like the theme in the main menu.

-EXP. POINTS: Where are they? They were an essential part of the original game!!!

-AUGS: Not even a aug interface. No comment.

-MULTITOOLS FOR HACKING WOODEN DOORS: That made me laugh.

This demo reaaaaly dissapointed me. You cant deny that you massacred the gamesystem for Xbox and sales. It clearly visible that this game is made for Xbox and then emulated for PC not the other way around. I think its sad, selling out like this. The DeusEx series got all the hardcore fans cause of the features which are taken out of DXII and thats sad. I can see that this game will be nothing more that an arcade-console shooter with some tactics in it. I feel sad cause of that. I am a big DX fan but now I feel like I am betrayed. I spoke to many HC DeusEx fans and they are ALL dissapointed as well as many ppl on various forums. Thanks, but no thanks Warren Spector.

maniac44
23rd Nov 2003, 18:02
Originally posted by TheGibberingFool
I hope to appeal to their sensitive side. ;) It would be a sad day indeed to see Ion Storm only thinking of their wallets. A very sad day.


I think it's Eidos' wallet that has control of the thinking.

TheGibberingFool
23rd Nov 2003, 19:41
Either of them. I'm beginning to get over this now... beginning to cope... playing the demo over and over... putting my pain in a box inside my head...

I think I'm going to buy this game. And then I will wait for a patch.

I'm going to wait, and it had better come. Give me the damn kit and I'll do it myself if they "have better things to do". Well, I'd say they HAVE got better things to do... i.e. making sure Thief 3 doesn't go the same way. Mind you, Specter's in charge of that one, unlike this one. I'm sure the man is sensible enough...

:confused:

SK Denton
23rd Nov 2003, 20:27
Originally posted by TheGibberingFool
Either of them. I'm beginning to get over this now... beginning to cope... playing the demo over and over... putting my pain in a box inside my head...

I think I'm going to buy this game. And then I will wait for a patch.

1. Don't buy the game and support something you cleary know is an insult to a masterpiece that won 30 awards ie Deus Ex. You will only encourage IS and Eidos to say F the fans we will make what we want and they will have to like it.

2. There is no patch conceivable that can fix the butchering that has been done to this game. Unless they delay the game until next year (highly unlikely), accept what you see in the demo with a few minor tweaks cause that is what you are gonna get.

Breadman
23rd Nov 2003, 20:40
There is no patch conceivable that can fix the butchering that has been done to this game.

woah woah wha...?? I admit stuff is wrong but everything that's wrong right now can be fixed in a patch. We knew there wouldn't be skills, reloading, or multiple ammo types, so I'm not talking about that. But tweaking the game to make head shots more realistic, fixing the whole mouse deal, makeing the font sizes smaller, and shifting the menu so it goes "out" more... all of those are fixable in a patch. As is optimizing it to make it run a little bit quicker. I'm just curious, what did you think was so horrible that it could never be fixed without spending months of slave work over it?

SK Denton
23rd Nov 2003, 20:58
Originally posted by Breadman
woah woah wha...?? I admit stuff is wrong but everything that's wrong right now can be fixed in a patch. We knew there wouldn't be skills, reloading, or multiple ammo types, so I'm not talking about that. But tweaking the game to make head shots more realistic, fixing the whole mouse deal, makeing the font sizes smaller, and shifting the menu so it goes "out" more... all of those are fixable in a patch. As is optimizing it to make it run a little bit quicker. I'm just curious, what did you think was so horrible that it could never be fixed without spending months of slave work over it?

First I said there would probably be minor tweaks so don't take my words out of context.

Secondly, it would take an overhaul to fix the uni ammo, no reloading, console control scheme, lack of stealth gameplay, poor AI, body damage issues, lack of immersive elements (dumbing down), performance issues, etc, etc, etc. I could go on, but I don't have all day.

At best a few of the issues I mentioned will be tweaked, but not FIXED ie changed to resemble a Deus Ex PC game and not a dumbed down console port.

If they did make a patch to resolve all of the issues properly it would take months and be 1gig in size.

Sheepy_DeathStorm
23rd Nov 2003, 21:03
W- - -0- - -0- - -T

Agent D
23rd Nov 2003, 22:10
Originally posted by MonkeyLungs
leaning, reloading, ammo types, and some skills do not make deus ex feel like deus ex to me, the story, the dialogue, the relatively open ended level design are what made deus ex for me.

:rolleyes:

Protip: You != Us.

Sense
23rd Nov 2003, 22:17
Originally posted by Baloon
First off I must say that I am a huge DX fan. DXI is one of my favourite games really high.
But I hate the demo. Well not as much the demo as the gameplay.

-INVENTORY: The inventory has been... massacred. In DXI there was the strategic placement of weapons, here it's a simplified arcade inventory for consoles (Xbox....). This is a MAJOR turnoff. What is the matter with the old one? It was perfect to me.

-HACKING: Childishly easy. Not to mention made for consoles (only use directional keys + enter). Wheres the username and password from DXI? Also the ATMs? Wheres the hacking time left line? Damn, this is tottaly off.

-GRAPHICS+PHYSICS: SUPERB, but some texturs are really ugly.

-INTERFACE: Again, massacred. The one from DXI where you could access the inventory, augs, logs, pics sectiones from one place in GREAT. This one is crap.

-DYNAMIC CROSSHAIR: Ouch! Feels like Im playing some cheap arcade shooter. I can run around, jump and Ill still hit the guy. Ouch!

-BODY PARTS (WHEN DAMAGED): I dont know why you took that away it was nice. You lose a leg, you crawl. Headshot - you die.
Here - nothing. Oh and I once shot that woman in the HEAD from POINT BLANK range and she DIDNT die. OUCH!

-UNIVERSAL AMMO: WHAT??? Flamethrower and pistol? Shotgun and SMG? This is just funny. It was great when you could take different ammo types in DXI reload them. Here... nothing!

-MUSIC: I like the theme in the main menu.

-EXP. POINTS: Where are they? They were an essential part of the original game!!!

-AUGS: Not even a aug interface. No comment.

-MULTITOOLS FOR HACKING WOODEN DOORS: That made me laugh.

This demo reaaaaly dissapointed me. You cant deny that you massacred the gamesystem for Xbox and sales. It clearly visible that this game is made for Xbox and then emulated for PC not the other way around. I think its sad, selling out like this. The DeusEx series got all the hardcore fans cause of the features which are taken out of DXII and thats sad. I can see that this game will be nothing more that an arcade-console shooter with some tactics in it. I feel sad cause of that. I am a big DX fan but now I feel like I am betrayed. I spoke to many HC DeusEx fans and they are ALL dissapointed as well as many ppl on various forums. Thanks, but no thanks Warren Spector.

Tru.