PDA

View Full Version : I hope Eidos Reads all these threads!

gonskanator
23rd Nov 2003, 05:53
Did u guys think u did a good job? I have never been so disappointed before, well I know it’s a demo, but from what I have read.. The game is 99% complete, god I hope it was bad information. First of all a couple of things that were done very... well badly!!
1. If you shoot someone in the head, they should die? RIGHT?
2. Your art team sucks, come on guys I haven’t scene textures that bad since half life. LMAO
3. OH! And your modeling team sucks too, the models look the same from DX:1. GOOD JOB!!
4. I wish it had EAX support, I mean its almost a regular thing now, how many mainstream games have that now??? KUDOS TO YOU.
5. Controls are terrible, menu system is weird (but could get used to it)

Now the things I liked about it

1. Way cool lighting effects
2. Kept the same kind of music (classic DX style)
3. UGHH oh yeah ragdoll everyone loves that

I know it’s a demo, but I have a feeling we wont see much of an improvement. Don’t count on it anyways. Ill buy it for the story... when it hits the $10.99 basket. Thank god we still have HL2 and doom to look forward too. My message to eidos is... well its more like a question that im sure wont get answered, are u guys to implement any of the things mentioned in any of these threads full of complaints and suggestions on how to make your game better... like damage models and such? Other then that im sure the game will have an intriguing story and likable characters.

Just my rant, just my two cents!! Hope they learn something from these threads full of great suggestions and don’t pull a gearbox/halo on us all!! TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT EIDOS! FIX STUFF!! MAKE YOUR $$$ SPENDING CUSTMERS HAPPPY!!

Woggy
23rd Nov 2003, 05:59
Your poll sucks. The closet thing there close to "Its great but needs some adjustments' is "ITS PERFECT!!" Its alot better than 'ok'

Anyway

2. Your art team sucks, come on guys I haven’t scene textures that bad since half life. LMAO
3. OH! And your modeling team sucks too, the models look the same from DX:1. GOOD JOB!!
4. I wish it had EAX support, I mean its almost a regular thing now, how many mainstream games have that now??? KUDOS TO YOU.

1. Change the damage multiplier in the default.ini file
2. Make sure bloom is off in the video settings. With it off, textures are alright.
3. I like the models except theyre a bit chubby AND THOSE BULGING EYES GOD I HATE THOSE BULGING NPC EYES!!
4. Meh - couldnt care
5. Yeah, I liked the DX1 hud alot more but you get used to the second one.

Agent D
23rd Nov 2003, 06:09
Mmm, yes, but the problem with changing the damage multipliers (mine are at 3) is that now you can shoot someone in the foot and it kills them almost as quickly as the head.

gonskanator
23rd Nov 2003, 06:12
Originally posted by Woggy
Your poll sucks. The closet thing there close to "Its great but needs some adjustments' is "ITS PERFECT!!" Its alot better than 'ok'

Anyway

1. Change the damage multiplier in the default.ini file
2. Make sure bloom is off in the video settings. With it off, textures are alright.
3. I like the models except theyre a bit chubby AND THOSE BULGING EYES GOD I HATE THOSE BULGING NPC EYES!!
4. Meh - couldnt care
5. Yeah, I liked the DX1 hud alot more but you get used to the second one.

heheh yah i know my poll sucks.... lol its pretty bad.....

...yeah, it does...so why did you post it? Ahhh...I see...you LIKE suckage...GM

Woggy
23rd Nov 2003, 07:17
Mmm, yes, but the problem with changing the damage multipliers (mine are at 3) is that now you can shoot someone in the foot and it kills them almost as quickly as the head.
True, true. Hopefully the devs can make headshots give 3x damage or something from normal, so we can have normal multipliers.

darklightning
23rd Nov 2003, 08:20
From what I understand, there actually IS localized damage, but not only is the unmodded pistol supposed to be weak, but IonStorm is supposedly going to look into the amount of damage the headshots are or something like that.

Archflex
23rd Nov 2003, 09:52
Hi to everyone in the forums!

Nobody complained about it until now, maybe I'm alone with it - where is player bobbing in IW? It's quite a slight thing, but it really added lot to the feel of the first game, and so if there is time for it, it should be added to this one.

Any chance for it? ;)

Majestic-12
23rd Nov 2003, 09:53
This game runs like crap.

Ion Storm, take a little field trip over to Remedy...and learn how to optimize performance for PC games.

Thats the worst thing wrong with this game, but there are other things too like the interface. This is what happens when u get too creative and forget about good ol' practicality.

TheGibberingFool
23rd Nov 2003, 11:07
Jees... when I become a developer I am NOT making any sequels. Not because I couldn't stand the (extremely large) amount of abuse, but because I would hate, oh so hate, to ruin the memory of the first game by bringing out a bad second one.

All I want is this, in order of priority: better interface similar to the old game, hit zones, stealth, more controls e.g. leaning.

Anyone agree with this? And does everyone agree that a little patch on the net could solve all Ion Storm's problems here? Go on Ion Storm... puh-lease?

Pooeypants
23rd Nov 2003, 13:49
Originally posted by Archflex
Hi to everyone in the forums!

Nobody complained about it until now, maybe I'm alone with it - where is player bobbing in IW? It's quite a slight thing, but it really added lot to the feel of the first game, and so if there is time for it, it should be added to this one.

Any chance for it? ;)
Notice how the whole RPG style Skills thing from DX1 has been stripped away...

Archflex
23rd Nov 2003, 19:10
Originally posted by Pooeypants
Notice how the whole RPG style Skills thing from DX1 has been stripped away...

Yeah, but 'bobbing' is not exactly a skill, is it? ;) It's so disappointing that the camera moves in a straight line - this tiny thing removes so much from realism, so...

...please put it back ;)

(Okay, it was also an option in DX1)

bobk
23rd Nov 2003, 19:38
I miss Hybrid farming from System Shock 2...
I wonder if the devs could work that into
DX2 with a patch... :-)

Esquire
23rd Nov 2003, 20:18
the game isn't out yet. and you do need more options in the poll.

Sense
23rd Nov 2003, 23:12
Originally posted by gonskanator
Did u guys think u did a good job? I have never been so disappointed before, well I know it’s a demo, but from what I have read.. The game is 99% complete, god I hope it was bad information. First of all a couple of things that were done very... well badly!!

I know it’s a demo, but I have a feeling we wont see much of an improvement. Don’t count on it anyways. Ill buy it for the story... when it hits the $10.99 basket. Thank god we still have HL2 and doom to look forward too. My message to eidos is... well its more like a question that im sure wont get answered, are u guys to implement any of the things mentioned in any of these threads full of complaints and suggestions on how to make your game better... like damage models and such? Other then that im sure the game will have an intriguing story and likable characters.

Just my rant, just my two cents!! Hope they learn something from these threads full of great suggestions and don’t pull a gearbox/halo on us all!! TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT EIDOS! FIX STUFF!! MAKE YOUR $$$ SPENDING CUSTMERS HAPPPY!!

There's much more wrong with DX2 than just that. It doesn't matter though. They don't care. People are still going to buy it (even knowing it'll be a disappointment).

Sense
23rd Nov 2003, 23:29
Originally posted by Esquire
the game isn't out yet. and you do need more options in the poll.

True, but the demo is.

The first dx1 demo made me want to buy the game -- I first downloaded the demo, then I bought some abbreviated version, then finally got the GOTY version. This demo is very annoying.

I think DX is a lot like The Simpsons. The old Simpsons were original and funny. Dx1 was original (for a game at least) and extremely fun. The new Simpsons episodes are incredibly annoying and very unoriginal. Likewise, DX:IW (the demo, nearly every screenshot I see, the cheesy ads I've seen for it, etc.) radiates a vibe that makes me want to punch my computer.

bobk
24th Nov 2003, 02:04
I hated DX1 when I first started playing it.
It didn't feel smooth like Quake2 and Half life.
The framerate was bad.
It was dark all the time.
Too many cutscenes.
It became one of my favorite games.
Someday you will all love DX2. Trust me.
Change is hard. You will all buy it, and you will
like it.

J.theYellow
24th Nov 2003, 06:54
http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/vBulletin_logo.gif

ya hope eidos does sum fixoring on thier logo too lol cant spel their own compnay naem.

:)

maybe it would help if you took some remedial spelling classes before you post...GM

MaxxQ
24th Nov 2003, 07:19
LOL....yeah, I noticed that as well.

looks like you need them too...

The Grim Reaper
24th Nov 2003, 09:15
Originally posted by bobk
I hated DX1 when I first started playing it.
It didn't feel smooth like Quake2 and Half life.
The framerate was bad.
It was dark all the time.
Too many cutscenes.
It became one of my favorite games.
Someday you will all love DX2. Trust me.
Change is hard. You will all buy it, and you will
like it.

you couldn't be more wrong.
The original DX had complexity, the Thief feel to it, character development, realism and tactical elements. It ran smooth even though I didn't have the greatest setpu back then (a Celeron 300A).
I loved it from the first ten seconds I played it.
DX2 has nothing of the above, it has been dumbified into a console based FPS garbage and I'm not going to buy garbage.
I don't like, I wont buy it and will never like it unless they fix this so called game.

El Padrino
24th Nov 2003, 09:57
Originally posted by Agent D

You know, I bet it's harder to shoot someone in the foot than the face. Not that that justifies the bad implementation of locational damage or anything. I just think it's funny.

Xenon
24th Nov 2003, 17:40
Well, the thing that bothers me the most is the absence of leaning. It's not streamlining, it's making the controls less convenient (I can't currently imagine sneaking without leaning). And it could easily be implemented using a limited number of buttons (SoF style). As for the rest, I'm relatively neutral about it, even remain optimistic about some aspects.

Viking2
24th Nov 2003, 19:54
Someone said that "change is hard". He said that we would get used to it, and look over DX:IW's flaws. I don't want to "look over" anything! Why are there flaws, when none were needed? These bad design decisions- you know, the reloading, unified ammo, the HUD, and the technical issues- they were made out of stupidity. I'm sorry, but it's true. While it is true that the original game had its flaws, considering when it came out, and what its competitors were, these flaws were few. Really, it was just the graphics. Everything else was just plain excellent. They could have not done these stupid changes to the second one, and it would be brilliant in all aspects. It would have that famous "open-endedness" and Deus Ex storyline, without all these little factors taking away from its merit. Change is indeed hard. In the case of this game, however, it's harder than it should be, and it's not surprised that many can't adapt to these changes at all, which is the case with me.

eyeronik
25th Nov 2003, 01:15
We all know people hate change and usually when patches and new versions of mods come out people moan and *****. However I don't think this is the case here, I really think the game is bad, it has serious technical problems and basically has a minimum of a £400 card, yet not graphics to match? wtf!? who on earth wants to play in 640x480? - no one. The demo I think was awful, it really needed a more exciting level to play on or something.

Either way at the moment I can't run it on althon 2400+ Geforce 4ti 4200 128mb, 832mb and I cannot afford to buy £400 cards for games like this, I doubt I am alone. Hopefully something will be done before release and the game itselfs on the whole will be good, but at the moment it doesn't look too good.

eyeronik
25th Nov 2003, 01:17
Originally posted by TheGibberingFool
Jees... when I become a developer I am NOT making any sequels. Not because I couldn't stand the (extremely large) amount of abuse, but because I would hate, oh so hate, to ruin the memory of the first game by bringing out a bad second one.

All I want is this, in order of priority: better interface similar to the old game, hit zones, stealth, more controls e.g. leaning.

Anyone agree with this? And does everyone agree that a little patch on the net could solve all Ion Storm's problems here? Go on Ion Storm... puh-lease?

hey I'm from Teesside! acklam!

MaxxQ
25th Nov 2003, 06:41
Originally posted by MaxxQ
LOL....yeah, I noticed that as well.

looks like you need them too...

Hmmmm...Mouser, I hope you're just playing along with the joke, because if you're serious about this, then...well, I don't know.

Both of us (myself and J. the Yellow) know the logo is spelled correctly, but I seem to recall that "Eidos" was spelled incorrectly ("Edios") in the topic title (although it's correct now), and J. the Yellow was poking a little fun at the original poster. I was just playing along with the joke.

Grey Mouser
25th Nov 2003, 07:24
Sorry man, my mistake...I am getting a little testy from the flaming emails about my mother, my father, my lack of both and so on.

Peace.

Viking2
25th Nov 2003, 10:45
Sorry man, my mistake...I am getting a little testy from the flaming emails about my mother, my father, my lack of both and so on.
Woah. Mother, father, lack thereof? I'm just caught off-guard here. The hell...?

It's not as bad as some other forums. You know, the ones that contain threads about rifles, bulldozers, bombs, and the connection of these objects to the IS crew.

MaxxQ
25th Nov 2003, 16:21
Originally posted by Grey Mouser

Peace.

Hey, it's cool. I kinda figured it was something like that. I may have come across too strong as well, as I was tired after a 10-hour workday.

For what it's worth, I'm confident in the game and can't wait to get it. Somewhere else in here I posted a quote from another forum on a general gaming site that says the demo does *not* do the final game justice.

As for the flaming emails...well those who sent them know who they are and I figure they need to grow up. As if putting down someone's family is going to get them what they want. It's only a game people and if you don't like it, then say so and leave it at that. There's no need for childish outbursts and immature flaming simply because you don't agree with some changes. Sheesh, I have an autistic 5-year-old son who acts better than that.

Ziggy Dee
26th Nov 2003, 19:00
Originally posted by gonskanator

Don't like it? Don't play it.