PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex - is not an rpg

Warbie
23rd Nov 2003, 05:18
imo of course :)

After many discussions with a friend of mine (which always end up with the question: what really constitues an rpg?) i've decided that Deus Ex isn't really an role playing game ......... more a fps with light stats management.

After playing the original (and enjoying it) I can't see the freedom of choice that so many praise. Decisions seem to boil down to 'shall I kill this guy, or sneak around him' or 'shall I take this route or the other'. While this is all good fun it's hardly groundbraking.

While most popular rpgs have a strong, epic, story and many stats to play with Deus Ex has neither (not that this was a problem - the game worked fine)

Then again I guess any game can be a rpg, as the player always has to assume a role. Guess this post is a bit pointless .......... just wondered what some of your views on this may be.

Pequachino
23rd Nov 2003, 05:25
Originally posted by Warbie
imo of course :)

Guess this post is a bit pointless .......... just wondered what some of your views on this may be.

i totally agree, this post was pointless..

Warbie
23rd Nov 2003, 05:32
bah humbug :P

Why keep the post near the top with a response? :) - could it be that your post was even more pointless than mine??

Jesus, P.I.
23rd Nov 2003, 05:33
While most popular rpgs have a strong, epic, story and many stats to play with Deus Ex has neither (not that this was a problem - the game worked fine)

Many people (myself included) will disagree with you about the story line. While it is maybe not what I would describe as "epic" (somehow that term just doesn't fit a gritty sci-fi world), the storyline was very compelling, in part because it brings up some ethical issues that we are dealing with today. That was my favorite part of the game.

Elder
23rd Nov 2003, 05:36
hey if they can make Fallout 3 in the First person perspective....Ill take it...till then...Ill take DX:IW
:)

HOTLEAD
23rd Nov 2003, 06:02

I STRONGLY disagree with that statement. Deus Ex had the one of the most memorable and entertaining stories ever, compared to any movie, game, or book and ive experienced my fair share of all three.

I wouldnt consider deus ex a true rpg but i would say it has strong rpg elements in the original. SKills(experience points include), augs, choices, and inventory are all parts of an rpg. I consider Deus ex more of an rpg then games like diablo.

Bottom line Deus ex is an action-rpg. On the other hand IW is deffinately an action title with no skills or inventory, only more choices than the average shooter.

Random
23rd Nov 2003, 13:19
I've had a few conversations about this, and I definately consider DX1 and DX:IW (from what I've seen) to be RPGs. You don't need spreadsheets of stats to make a role-playing game.

I think Deus Ex is the future of RPGs, actually. Stats, using skill points and magical numbers, are left over from pen-and-paper RPGs. We're moving into the computer RPG age now, and I don't think we need those. Player interaction with the gameworld is taking over from those stats.

Pooeypants
23rd Nov 2003, 13:22
I'd say most of the RPG elements that were in DX1 (skills and inventory etc) have been dropped out of DX2.
Very disappointing, this is pure over simplification for console gaming.

Neutrino
23rd Nov 2003, 15:38
They should have skills, stats, and rpg numbers.. They provide feedback at how good you are getting.. Instead of the "up in the air, wishy washy, psuedo feedback" of not having them.. In addition, for me, they provide something to go after.. It's an addiction factor at finding ways to increase those numbers.. Game designers know this...And I think it's a bonehead decision to leave them out..

By the way.. Fallout 2 was a fantastic game.. One of my favorites, along with Deus Ex...

They just don't make games like that anymore... What a shame..

Devin the Dude
23rd Nov 2003, 16:30
The problem with most RPGs is they are too stat based and rely on this pl;ayed out "epic story" too much. Deus Ex is more of an RPG then TOEE.

Demolition man
23rd Nov 2003, 16:35
Why do ppl always say it is an rpg or an fps. DX is just a mix off both...

Warbie
23rd Nov 2003, 18:23
Cause I don't think it's an RPG :) - there are few choices to make that actually impact on the story/game world. Hardly any NPCs ...... which have little to say.

Apart from the stats I really see nothing which makes the game a role playing game. If it is an RPG then countless others are too.