PDA

View Full Version : GeForce MX video cards

FranticMan
23rd Nov 2003, 03:44
Having read the forum over, I gather I'm not the only one to be a little... choked... that Eidos isn't supporting MX-series video cards. I hoped that that would only apply to the demo, but it seems that the final version will not support them either.

Huh?

I know that my MX card won't give me the same kind of video quality that, say, the other GeForce lines will. I just don't get why it simply can't handle DXIW, especially considering some of the other games it'll work with. It's not as if the MXes are exactly archaic technology, right?

To me, the onus should be on game companies to have their products support current technology, not on consumers to purchase a particular make or model of hardware. I'll be... er... darned... if I'm going to buy a new video card just to play this game, when my current one works just fine, thanks.

Tassadar5000
23rd Nov 2003, 03:57
It's that dynamic lighting thing. They want to make the game stealthy..

tee hee.

Woggy
23rd Nov 2003, 03:57
Sigh, MX video cards dont support pixel shaders and are based on 'ancient' GEFORCE 2 tech. No pixel shaders doesnt mean reduced quality, it means no lighting.
GFMXs are not current tech, they are 2000 tech. Thats nearly 4 years ago.
Its really nVidias fault with their crappy naming system.

ZeroCorpse
23rd Nov 2003, 06:04
I'm sort of upset about it, too. I can play everything else just fine. My MX card is a GeForce 4, it has 128MB RAM. My system is over the spec requirements by a longshot, but my card just happens to be an MX. Purchased THIS YEAR and darn it, I'm not happy that Eidos is trying to force me to get a different model just because they want a specific feature- They can't give the option of having the game run without it? So it's basically "If you can't see the game the way WE envisioned it, then you're S.O.L., guys!"

I'm not happy. I can safely say that this means I'll be waiting a year to purchase this game, IF I do at all, since I'm not trashing a new video card just to play one game. All the other new games work fine- BETTER than fine- with my card.

What stings is that they aren't thinking things through- MOST game players don't have the newest tech. Casual gamers and low-budget gamers will effectively be shut-out of this game, and good luck to any poor schmuck who purchases this in a retail store, finds out they can't run it, and then tries to return it after it's been opened- Most retail stores won't take software back.

You're about to screw a lot of people out of $50 each, Eidos. I REALLY encourage you to rethink this strategy.

Random
23rd Nov 2003, 13:23
No offence, but they've said in numerous places that the game does not support MX cards. The system requirements on the box clearly state that MX cards are not supported. I feel for the people who own pre-built computers and don't know much about them, but there's not much Eidos can do.

In my opinion, Nvidia's unethical marketing is the problem.

Pooeypants
23rd Nov 2003, 13:27
Nvidia are very clever bastards, marketing the Gef4 mx which is basically, as someone said a pumped up Gef2 mx with LMAII but no pixel nor hardware vertex shaders. A complete sawnoff.

Also, pixel shader capable cards have been available for nearly 3 years now so I don't know why ppl are complaining so much...do you want Ion Storm to make the game with UT1 engine again? Technology progresses and very quickly right now, upgrading is the only option.

Sourcerer
23rd Nov 2003, 14:45
The GF4 MX cards have more in common with the GF2 than with the GF4.

It realy isn't Ion Storms fault if Nvidea have given you the wrong impression about the capabilities of your video card.

I have an MX460, but I don't want Ion Storm to make the game capable of running on my card, cos that will remove a lot of graphical features which people are comming to expect with the latest generation of games.

you need to understand that the MX cards are old technology now and things have moved on some.

Time to put your hand in your pocket and buy a real video card.

I feel for you if you can't afford it, neither can I, it's having to go on my credit card.

Pooeypants
23rd Nov 2003, 22:39
Originally posted by Sourcerer
The GF4 MX cards have more in common with the GF2 than with the GF4.

It realy isn't Ion Storms fault if Nvidea have given you the wrong impression about the capabilities of your video card.

I have an MX460, but I don't want Ion Storm to make the game capable of running on my card, cos that will remove a lot of graphical features which people are comming to expect with the latest generation of games.

you need to understand that the MX cards are old technology now and things have moved on some.

Time to put your hand in your pocket and buy a real video card.

I feel for you if you can't afford it, neither can I, it's having to go on my credit card.
Oh my gawd...we have some thinking clearly here!! :D

Akito
23rd Nov 2003, 23:01
Well, the GF4MX <i>does</i> have T&L, but that's pretty outdated. Either way I try to get people to buy a Radeon 9600 or the GF4 Ti 4200 for budget cards. MX = sucks.