PDA

View Full Version : BlOOM

HOTLEAD
23rd Nov 2003, 02:45
Wow IW looks awesome with bloom off. The textures look smooth and less blended. Just try turing it on and off and you will notice a BIG difference. The lighting affects look less brilliant but taht is fine with me because the textures now look awesome. Anyone know why they would add the bloom feature?

Woggy
23rd Nov 2003, 02:54
Please dont tell me people are complaining about the game without realizing that Bloom is on....

ABRAXAAS
23rd Nov 2003, 04:18
the only draw back to turning off bloom is the worse frame rates.

Sci
23rd Nov 2003, 04:36
I don't know exactly what bloom is or what it does, but I like it off. Also, it seems that bloom is supposed to increase framerates, though I don't notice a difference. Maybe I should check my fps readout...

ABRAXAAS
23rd Nov 2003, 04:39
I run the game at 1280x1024 with 6xsampling or whatever that is i cant remember with bloom on and it runs smooth, if i turn it off, i have to put it down to 2x to make it run smooth.

Woggy
23rd Nov 2003, 04:40
All bloom does is blur the image or something and make the lights look better. I really like the way lights look with bloom on, but everything else looks terrible unless in really high resloutions.
bloom starts to look half-decent at 1024x768
Cant wait for the day when I can run Deus Ex 2 on 1600x1200 with bloom and everything on high with 4X AA and high-res textures.

ThorsHamburger
23rd Nov 2003, 04:41
Turning BLOOM off makes it look much better IMO, but I did definately notice a DECREASE in fps, which makes sense. Bloom seems to be like a fog, like other games use to hide distant scenes to reduce what has to be rendered.. So this bloom seems to acts as a sort of fog over the whole game.
What I dont exactly understand is what is "multisampling". IS the AA or AF. And how are the settings in my display control panel suppposed to effect the game. They done seem to make any difference.

gord
23rd Nov 2003, 11:52
ABRAXAAS, how did u get your reso to 1280*1024, mine sticks at 1024*768, the game says its 1280*1024 but photoshop likes to think otherwise

im using
Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8t Neo
Radeon 9700 pro.......cat 3,9s
1gb kingston hyperx
hercules fortissimo 3 sound

edit: BLOOM is the biggest ba**ard ever, it limits resolution, i just turned it off, and its all fine, the game looks awesome

Breadman
23rd Nov 2003, 18:47
I read so much about bloom sucking, that I never event thoguht about keeping it on... so teh first time I played with bloom was this morning when I thought "hmm, let me see what all the suckiness is really about." Just played it at 1024x768... 4x multisampling (whatever the hell that is), and bloom on. Textures were less than impressive but the whole look of teh game changed IMO for the better... felt more cinematic. Maybe it was just me though:p

Cableguy696969
23rd Nov 2003, 19:58
Wait let me get this straight. Turning bloom off, will increase fps??

HOTLEAD
23rd Nov 2003, 20:02
IVe heard people say it both helps and hinders fps but mostly hinders. I dont notice much of a difference either way i just think it looks like **** with it on.

ChangelingJane
23rd Nov 2003, 21:16
Originally posted by Breadman
the whole look of teh game changed IMO for the better... felt more cinematic. Maybe it was just me though:p

Nope, I like the bloom effect too. I have no clue what these people are complaining about :D

DarkForge
23rd Nov 2003, 21:27
Bearing in mine I've only tried the demo once so far, but I played it with 'bloom' switched on. From what I could tell, nothing was wrong when I played it. I'm not sure what you guys are saying. :confused:

Amorpheus
23rd Nov 2003, 21:45
I like Bloom, it fits nicely with the graphical style as it makes everything look somewhat painted, as opposed to rendered.

On the other hand, it does make things blurrier.