PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone REALLY whining?

JINKY
23rd Nov 2003, 01:43
I just wanted to know why people really hate this game. The best reasons i've seen are complete bullcrap like "the fonts are too big" and "it's a console port" It's a console port because of the radial interface? It's not shaped that way so it's easy for console users, it's shaped that way because it's supposed to be right on your guy's eyeballs. I think the interface works really well, with the mousewheel and only having to use two buttons to change focus between biomods and weapons, unlike Deus Ex where you're frantically mashing F buttons to try to get things done. Some people say they want to use the cursor, and I don't really get that. You can in the menus, but not in the hud...why would anyone want to use the cursor? The way I see it, the game IS admittedly flawed, but MUCH less than Deus Ex. I wonder how many people actually remember Deus Ex from some of the comments I've been reading. I mean, really, did you even try to engage some of the soldiers in combat in Deus Ex? It was HORRIBLE.

What made Deus Ex a great game was the story and the atmosphere and the great scenarios/choices. The reason a lot of people are pretty pissed off, I think, is because the game throws you in to a level that looks to be a few hours in to the game, and you really don't know what the hell's going on. I think most of the people whining after the release of the demo will, unfortunately, come crawling back to these forums when they love the game. Or just hang around and troll for the devteam and the admins like they are now.

coldblue
23rd Nov 2003, 01:46
I'm harping on a theme on these threads.

I've heard it said that most games are fun until just a few weeks before completion - its all the little final tweaks and adjustments they do to the game that does it.

I've already pointed out some tweaks that can be done to make the demo play lots better. I think the devs could do a couple more (like fix locational damage, add leaning) that would really make the final product enjoyable.

Right now, I think people are reacting to the fact that demo still needs that level of polish, that undefinable feel.

TheGreatEscape
23rd Nov 2003, 01:49
No it's a console port because of the HUGE text, the terrible default performance and "vibration" toggle in the options screen.

I don't see how ISA can say, with a striaght face, that this game was developed concurrently for PC and XBox. The game was actually quite enjoyable once I had spent an hour tweaking it, but prior to that it was ungodly.

Woggy
23rd Nov 2003, 01:50
Im starting to love this game, especially after all the tweaking :D
Thumbs up Ion Storm!!

JINKY
23rd Nov 2003, 01:51
Huge text? Who cares? So lower the font size if that's preventing you from having fun.

Terrible default performance. Eh, runs great for me.

The vibration option is for mice with force feedback. Yeah, it sucks. I mean, how DARE they put in extra features?

MonkeyLungs
23rd Nov 2003, 01:55
not to mention i have played several games on pc with a controller that has force feedback available IF the game supports it ... i cannot be the only one

TheGreatEscape
23rd Nov 2003, 01:56
Fine, can someone please explain what "bloom" is then?

Originally posted by JINKY
[B]Huge text? Who cares? So lower the font size if that's preventing you from having fun.

Terrible default performance. Eh, runs great for me.

a. There should be an option in the menu system to alter the text size to prevent trawling through the .ini files.
:rolleyes:

b. I get 16k 3D01Marks and run every other game FLAWLESSLY at high resolutions with 4xAA/ 8AF. But in this I can barely get 20-30fps at 1024*768 with no AA. You can't tell me that's good coding. Take a look at Max Payne 2 and then try and tell me that this game performs well.

And don't get me started about floaty controls.

Like I said, I am a huge DX1 fan and am enjoying the open-ended structure of DX:IW, but I believe that there are some glaring oversights which appear to suggest that the PC version was something akin to a conversion.

Agent D
23rd Nov 2003, 02:18
All of the console remains and interface problems do add up to a big annoyance, but personally, I'm "whining" because about half of what I liked about Deus Ex 1 has been removed. Mostly the combat.

You didn't like the combat in Deus Ex? Did you hate crouching and waiting for your accuracy to go up, leaning around corners, and sneaking through the shadows for a precise and stealthy killing blow? At least in Deus Ex, when you shot someone in the head they died.

I feel that everything has been brutally oversimplified, and the game has been turned into an arcade shooter designed for people who believe that Quake 3's or Unreal Tournament 2003 combat is the epitome of tactics and immersion. I can't enjoy the characters, atmosphere, and plot if I'm being constantly jolted out of the immersion by terrible interface problems and unenjoyable combat. Yes, that's why I'm REALLY whining.

Just be glad that you fit into the group that Invisible War was designed for, because a lot of Deus Ex fans don't.

Zeus
23rd Nov 2003, 02:25
The only thing I have against IW is that there is no localized damage. If they can't implement that, they must at least put in headshots. AT LEAST.

dx1fan
23rd Nov 2003, 03:02
I was expecting more...not less.

example: You go to wendy's for a double burger and some biggie fries in the drive through window.You make the exchange and get home only to open the bag and find a jr burger and small fries.Now your mad.You were expecting more...not less.:D

geldonyetich
23rd Nov 2003, 03:11
I was a bit dissipointed by the oversimplification involved.

No grid inventory, just 6 weapon slots and 6 inventory slots. All ammo is rolled together in the demo (though I hear rockets are different). Weapon mods are stored in a seperate inventory you can't see unless you enter mod-mode of a weapon. Skills are completely gone - apparently the only reason you can hack in the demo is because you have a lvl 3 hacking implant. No sign of experience point earning.

Overall, a typical design mistake: too much streamlining leaves less game for me to enjoy.

Aside from that though, it's still a pretty neat demo. Definate Deus-Ex like flexibility in approach and it continues the plot nicely. Check this out (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27969) for example.

Dav1000
23rd Nov 2003, 03:48
Originally posted by Zeus
The only thing I have against IW is that there is no localized damage. If they can't implement that, they must at least put in headshots. AT LEAST.
"Chris Carollo
For the record, DX:IW does have localized damage. The pistol's headshot bonus may not be very high, and it may not be tuned very well, but it's definitely there.
The sniper rifle, for example, will definitely result in a one-headshot kill for most enemies.
Remember, the demo doesn't include all the weapons. There are a number of stealthy ways of taking people out."

The IS forum thread on how to improve the demo by editing the ini files is http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880 and it includes info on increasing the damage dealt, among other things.