PDA

View Full Version : The Praise Thread. Sort of.

Breadman
22nd Nov 2003, 19:38
... well, sorta.

I've been seeing a ton of negative feedback from everyone on this board and other boards as well, and I'm glad to see everyone speaking out so strongly about certain things that were done that weren't even remotely acceptable. I also feel that we are missing some of the big positive points though, so I'm just gonna run through some.

First off, let me just say I've only spent about 2 hours playing the demo... beatin it 3 times. And I've come to a conclusion, one that has been noticed by others to. This is simply a matter of Ion Storm releasing a crappy level to demo. I truely doubt this is a "beta" demo as some are suggesting. This is a real final level for the game. So what's good about it?

Interactivity for one. So graphics and stuff don't make a game... blah blah blah. I'm still quite impressed with the physics and lighting of the game. The sound engine is great as well with the exception of some of the conversations. But these physics can be used to create some truely interesting experiences, not just with the ragdoll players, but with the barrels, boxes, and other objects. It's truely quite interesting to kill a guy, throw his body on a stack of barrels that then proceed to tumble down... all the while his corpse is moving with the barrels sometimes getting crushed. It's just plain cool.

The story. The story is what made Deus Ex for me. It had great gameplay and everything too, but I wouldn't have continued to play if there wasn't a good story. Now, I said before the developers picked a crappy level and story is one of the reasons why. This level gives absolutely nothing when it comes to story, which was probably Ion's goal... because they didn't want to give anything away. But even still, listening to news reports on that hologram box, listening to conversations, reading books, etc, I can tell this story as been thought out just as well as its predecessor, and could easily become even more intruiguing. The demo did lose a lot of its "Deus Ex" feel though seeing as how you had no background on why your character was here, why he wanted to leave, where he wanted to go, etc. I'm guessing that if you play the game from the beginning to this level, this level will be much more interesting than you might have originally thought.

The only major complaint I ever had with this demo was how horribly it seemed to be optimized, the "weirdness" of the mouse, and the fact that the damage modeling is really screwed up. All three I'm guessing can be fixed in patches so I'm not even worried about them, but I'm still very thankful to all of you who love to yell and scream so much... because I think that they are hearing this. I just don't want them to think they did everything bad, haha.

Many have been complaining about the combat too but I think by simply fixing the damage modeling issue, 90% of complaints about it will be answered. Other than that, I'm just not feeling the "ut2k3" feel that others are complaining about.

Props to Ion Storm for making an overall good game, though with some flaws that should be addressed ASAP. Props to Ion Storm for releasing a demo that didn't give away the story of the game, though by doing that it took away some of the Deus Ex feel for some people. Props to the community for complaining and trying to be heard. And props to all the fanboys who have been trying desperately not to go postal on all the complainers.
---------------------------

CLIFF NOTES:
1. Interactivity is pretty darn cool.
2. The story is retained, though not in the demo, hence taking away the "Deus Ex" feel.
3. Mouse, optimization, damage modeling needs to be fixed.
4. Props to everyone that have been a part of this release, wheather actually playing or being the ones who released it.

EDIT: Many complain about the consolfied HUD/menus but I don't see that as a big enough gameplay problem to really affect how good the game is, so I chose not to discuss it... But, I did forget to mention the retartedness of shooting someone and them still being friendly, haha. Fix that too:D

Five.Pointe.O
22nd Nov 2003, 19:56
I am cured. Thank you, Breadman. I love you.

The Glome
22nd Nov 2003, 21:07
I was never diseased in the first place, but I still love you!

Bump for the nay-sayers.

nimbus
22nd Nov 2003, 21:41
I've got a question about the mouse: from what I understand, there's lag with it, apart from performance issues...so, is it similar to Mechwarrior in that respect? You know, where you decide to move the view, and the mouse smoothly accelerates and then slows down as it nears its resting spot?

I've heard people say the same things about the floatiness of the control, where it seems to take a second to get up to speed and then slow down.

F3nyx
22nd Nov 2003, 23:10
I've got a question about the mouse: from what I understand, there's lag with it, apart from performance issues...so, is it similar to Mechwarrior in that respect? You know, where you decide to move the view, and the mouse smoothly accelerates and then slows down as it nears its resting spot? That was what I thought at first.. however, after paying it closer attention, it seems like it's exactly like normal mouselook, except that all the input lags about 1/4-1/3 second.

AlteredGlyph
22nd Nov 2003, 23:56
Actually, I found my mouse to be utterly smooth, with no lag at all.

Dav1000
23rd Nov 2003, 00:33
There is actually a mouselag variable in the ini...people seem to agree that it's better at 0 than the default. See http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880 for details and more such ini information (if you can stand the slow IS forums).

super...
23rd Nov 2003, 01:03
Thanks for putting this up man. i really really liked the demo. All you people who did not like it can go to hells kitchen for as much as i care. People who did not like it need a different hobby or a job with more hours so they don’t have time to post on forums. :) Any way I really liked playing the demo and betting on grasle fights. it was a good fun game that has lots of playability. although there were some issues with it.

crimson_stallion
23rd Nov 2003, 04:04
Originally posted by Breadman
... well, sorta.

I've been seeing a ton of negative feedback from everyone on this board and other boards as well, and I'm glad to see everyone speaking out so strongly about certain things that were done that weren't even remotely acceptable. I also feel that we are missing some of the big positive points though, so I'm just gonna run through some.

First off, let me just say I've only spent about 2 hours playing the demo... beatin it 3 times. And I've come to a conclusion, one that has been noticed by others to. This is simply a matter of Ion Storm releasing a crappy level to demo. I truely doubt this is a "beta" demo as some are suggesting. This is a real final level for the game. So what's good about it?

Interactivity for one. So graphics and stuff don't make a game... blah blah blah. I'm still quite impressed with the physics and lighting of the game. The sound engine is great as well with the exception of some of the conversations. But these physics can be used to create some truely interesting experiences, not just with the ragdoll players, but with the barrels, boxes, and other objects. It's truely quite interesting to kill a guy, throw his body on a stack of barrels that then proceed to tumble down... all the while his corpse is moving with the barrels sometimes getting crushed. It's just plain cool.

The story. The story is what made Deus Ex for me. It had great gameplay and everything too, but I wouldn't have continued to play if there wasn't a good story. Now, I said before the developers picked a crappy level and story is one of the reasons why. This level gives absolutely nothing when it comes to story, which was probably Ion's goal... because they didn't want to give anything away. But even still, listening to news reports on that hologram box, listening to conversations, reading books, etc, I can tell this story as been thought out just as well as its predecessor, and could easily become even more intruiguing. The demo did lose a lot of its "Deus Ex" feel though seeing as how you had no background on why your character was here, why he wanted to leave, where he wanted to go, etc. I'm guessing that if you play the game from the beginning to this level, this level will be much more interesting than you might have originally thought.

The only major complaint I ever had with this demo was how horribly it seemed to be optimized, the "weirdness" of the mouse, and the fact that the damage modeling is really screwed up. All three I'm guessing can be fixed in patches so I'm not even worried about them, but I'm still very thankful to all of you who love to yell and scream so much... because I think that they are hearing this. I just don't want them to think they did everything bad, haha.

Many have been complaining about the combat too but I think by simply fixing the damage modeling issue, 90% of complaints about it will be answered. Other than that, I'm just not feeling the "ut2k3" feel that others are complaining about.

Props to Ion Storm for making an overall good game, though with some flaws that should be addressed ASAP. Props to Ion Storm for releasing a demo that didn't give away the story of the game, though by doing that it took away some of the Deus Ex feel for some people. Props to the community for complaining and trying to be heard. And props to all the fanboys who have been trying desperately not to go postal on all the complainers.

CLIFF NOTES:
1. Interactivity is pretty darn cool.
2. The story is retained, though not in the demo, hence taking away the "Deus Ex" feel.
3. Mouse, optimization, damage modeling needs to be fixed.
4. Props to everyone that have been a part of this release, wheather actually playing or being the ones who released it.

EDIT: Many complain about the consolfied HUD/menus but I don't see that as a big enough gameplay problem to really affect how good the game is, so I chose not to discuss it... But, I did forget to mention the retartedness of shooting someone and them still being friendly, haha. Fix that too:D

I agree with most of this post I think.

Although I havent played the demo, from the faults others have mentioned it seems the worst problems are those technnical ones.

Things such as frame rate, graphical glitches, key binding problems, mouse problems, font size, locational damage, etc are IMO the major problems. It seems from posts I have read that locational damage is present, but the damage rates need tuning. Similarly to the font size, which apparently is also easilly tunable. This means that this, along with the other issues I just mentioned, should all be fixable either by the time of release, or in a patch, wihtout too much difficulty.

The ohter gameplay issues such as leaning, interface, no reloading, universal ammo, etc are things I could get used to, and overlook if they dont distract too much from the rest of the game.

I think that these gameplay issues combined with the technical issues, are what causes the big dissapointment. If not for the gameplya issues, it would probably be acceptable, even with technical issues. If not for the technical issues, it would probably be acceptable even with the gameplay issues. However, the two combined would make a major nagative impact.

If ION storm can release a patch that fixes all of the aforementioned technical/adjustable issues either by release, or in a patch, then chances are I will buy the game. The other aspects I can live with. I will, however, probably wait until such a patch IS released before buying the game, just in case it doesnt eventuate.

If these issues are not fixed, then the gameplay issues will still be there also, and the combination of all of these factors may very well prove too much for me to overlook.

Chances are, many of the technical issues will probably be absent on the xbox version, so if worse comes to worse and the patch is not released, I may have to buy that version.

For this reason , I can just imagine the reviews giving the Xbox version an 8.5 and the PC version a 6.5 as a result of bugs.

Lets pray it aint' so.

Elder
23rd Nov 2003, 04:09
<--throws hat into the "the demo rocks and the game is going to be fliping awsome" pile.

P.s I loved the little book about JC and Paul
:)~