PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone at Eidos or Ion Storm PLEASE read this short note

Don
22nd Nov 2003, 18:05
Are there any plans for changes to be made in light of the comments made about the demo? To me the main problem is lack of one-shot kills (i.e. no localised damage), but there have been many other good points.
I think the demo is great and I'm really looking forward to the game, but the game could be so much better with a few adjustments.

So is there are chance of these problems being overcome?

Neutrino
22nd Nov 2003, 18:12
Since people are augmented now, maybe one shot head kills are a thing of the past..

It seems to me that avoiding combat has been given a boost.

:cool:

Don
22nd Nov 2003, 18:36
Hell no! Not everyone is augmented. What about the common Joe walking down the street or the Templars? But anyway, I'd rather this thread not become a discussion, there are plenty of threads for that.
Could only Eidos or Ion Storm staff, or someone in the KNOW (i.e. not just speculating) post here please. Most people would like to know what's really going on.

buzzfunk
22nd Nov 2003, 19:26
I highly doubt that there will be that many drastic changes. Adding localized damage isnt something i think could be added quickly.

No one even knows if the Ion Storm team will take any of the comments to heart and do something about it. I think its pretty fair to say that any core gameplay issues wont be addressed.

If they redesign the HUD completely, it would be already a step up. But it doesnt change the fact that the depth has been taken out. And while i can understand that they wanted to 'streamline' stuff, it just doesnt work well.

Don
22nd Nov 2003, 19:40
Sorry, but did you bother to read my last post? Please keep your comments to other threads if you aren't connected with Eidos or Ion Storm.

Dav1000
22nd Nov 2003, 20:03
"Chris Carollo

For the record, DX:IW does have localized damage. The pistol's headshot bonus may not be very high, and it may not be tuned very well, but it's definitely there.

The sniper rifle, for example, will definitely result in a one-headshot kill for most enemies."

So localized damage is definitely in; it's just a matter of tuning damage values.

Don
22nd Nov 2003, 20:10
Now that's what I'm talking about! Cheers Dav1000!
So there is hope yet.

ThorsHamburger
22nd Nov 2003, 20:16
Chris made a comment that they didnt want the battles to be over to quickly, so thats why they made the hit damage so low. What a cheap way out. If you wanted the battles to last longer(which is great) MAKE THE COMBAT A.I. BETTER!!! FFS this is 2003, make the AI move and duck for cover or dodge, dont just make some average joe/jane almost invunerable. :rolleyes:
Sorry to invade this space but I hope dev reads and realizes how truely dissapointing the combat AI is.
And it hurts the game overall as well. In a game that is about story and characters how can you expect me to get immersed and care about characters(suspend my reality)if you implememnt the characters in such an unbeleiveable manner. You spend all this time creating a character, and I assume you want me to feel something for these chracters, well fine but a few lines of dialogue isnt enought to make me care or to make those characters real. They have to look and act and behave real all the time(within reason of course) for me to get into them. IF they look and move and react like robots or dummies Im going to not be convinced.
Which brings me to the idea of the karma. It's nice but again if I throw around a body over and over again, eventually its going to fall apart and crumple. The bodies look like rubber dolls as I throw them around. Very unrealistic. Makes me not care about he characters. I feel nothing from tossing this manequin around.

Dav1000
22nd Nov 2003, 20:17
Actually if you go over to the Ion Storm forums you'll find a couple threads on how to fix most of the problems people have been complaining about just by changing the .ini files. This includes text size, HUD taking up too much of the screen, damage, movement...so none of these problems are really very big; they an easily be changed. (It might be nice to have a demo patch released to fix these for people who don't want to mess around with the ini stuff...we'll see if that happens.)

The Glome
22nd Nov 2003, 20:17
of COURSE there's hope, there's ALWAYS hope. Things are looking up already, IMO. DX:IW will be awesome!

ThorsHamburger
22nd Nov 2003, 20:20
Originally posted by Dav1000
Actually if you go over to the Ion Storm forums you'll find a couple threads on how to fix most of the problems people have been complaining about just by changing the .ini files. This includes text size, HUD taking up too much of the screen, damage, movement...so none of these problems are really very big; they an easily be changed. (It might be nice to have a demo patch released to fix these for people who don't want to mess around with the ini stuff...we'll see if that happens.)

Ive been trying since yesterday to get into the IONSTORM boards,but its taking forever to load even one page. Am I the only one.

Dav1000
22nd Nov 2003, 20:25
Ive been trying since yesterday to get into the IONSTORM boards,but its taking forever to load even one page. Am I the only one.
No, they're REALLY slow right now. I assume this is due to all the new people who signed up after playing the demo and frantically started posting...

Edit: The thread that discusses ini modifications is http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880 if you're willing to endure the slowness

GingerNinja
22nd Nov 2003, 20:27
You aint the only one. I can't get on them either. Well I can but they take a year and a bit to load!

so i quit trying. I saw the main board though.

a Thread with mostly bad oponions had like 20 or more pages of opinions
Another thread said "Things you liked about the demo) Which had 3 replies last time I checked!

says it all really. :(

Don
22nd Nov 2003, 20:53
Bloody hell. This has become another opinions thread. I really only want to here from people who KNOW something. Go elsewhere if not, there are plently of other threads to moan in.