PDA

View Full Version : The Mod Community and You

Mr.Shroom
22nd Nov 2003, 13:07
Never mind the newbie status, please. This IS an actual topic of worth, I assure you.

I've heard plenty of complaints about the demo, ranging from the weakness of the stun prod all the way to font settings. There have been demands for change from a group of people who either hope its initial backlash of overreaction, or who are currently sweating like hogs.

But what about US? Can't WE do anything? No doubt at least SOME DX fans have quite a bit of intelligence (For last I checked, it WAS one of the few 'thinking (wo)mans game'!), most likely in the fields of computers and programming.

So why don't we DO something beyond whine, worry, petition, or recall the creators? We're not bound the constraints we are. I propose that we CAN solve almost every single issue anyone has had with the demo on our OWN.

Sure, it might not change the overall results of DXIW when it finally comes out. But at least if we TRY to tinker, poke, and adjust it to our own sense of group 'perfection', it'll be SOME sort of progress.

Comments? Questions? Mudslinging?

Koif
22nd Nov 2003, 13:09
Good post but unfortuately theres only so much you can do with .ini editing and ion storm have stated they wont be making the development kit public.

ABRAXAAS
22nd Nov 2003, 13:11
Originally posted by Koif
Good post but unfortuately theres only so much you can do with .ini editing and ion storm have stated they wont be making the development kit public.

exactly, cause without multiplayer whats the point of dev tools.

Mr.Shroom
22nd Nov 2003, 13:22
theres only so much you can do with .ini editing and ion storm have stated they wont be making the development kit public.

Well, then lets start with what we DO have, rather than worrying about what we don't. :) If we could, I'd like to get a compherenive list of what we CAN and CANNOT do with what we've currently got with the demo.

Beats slapping worries about in cyberspace, no?

Koif
22nd Nov 2003, 13:48
ok, for a start here's my default.ini http://server4.uploadit.org/files/221103-Default.ini

Here's what I know how to do:
Adjust walk speed (less floaty)
Change HUD size
Change font size
Turn on a few graphics settings (not sure if they do anything)
Turn off read only for user.ini

Here's what I want to do:
Change font
Improve font smoothing
Improve HUD smoothing
More choice for HUD colours (i.e. greys - colour settings in .ini dont do anything)
Change menu res

FliX
22nd Nov 2003, 13:49
ok see my sig

so what can i do with ini files.... :rolleyes:

**** nothing,

and the SDK would be gr8 for SP mods, not only for MP maps/mods...

FliX
22nd Nov 2003, 13:51
in adition, as soon as we have the SDK, be sure to gimme a shout im in with mapping

BUT only if DXIW will run on my GF4 420go :mad: wich it doesnt atm :mad:

Psychotext
22nd Nov 2003, 13:57
Seems to be a fairly good modding discussion going on here:

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?page=1&pagesize=20&forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880

Mr.Shroom
22nd Nov 2003, 13:59
Well, no offense intended FliX, but considering you can't even work the edit function on a forum, I'm not quite sure you're THE expert on this PARTICULAR topic. Mapping and Elite Force skills aside. But I'm a noob, so hey. :)

-Adjust walk speed (less floaty)
-Change HUD size
-Change font size
-Turn on a few graphics settings (not sure if they do anything)
-Turn off read only for user.ini

-Change font
-Improve font smoothing
-Improve HUD smoothing
-More choice for HUD colours (i.e. greys - colour settings in .ini dont do anything)
-Change menu res

Well hey, THERES a start....though I don't think turning off read-only for the .ini will help much. :) Have you actually tried and tested the changes you know how to do?

And does anyone have any hints towards those first few 'want to do' alterations? Or maybe have some more...serious ones, ideally.

Koif
22nd Nov 2003, 14:12
turning off read only for your user.ini means your control mapping doesnt reset every time you die ;)

And yes the other changes do work.

Don
22nd Nov 2003, 20:28
ok, for a start here's my default.ini http://server4.uploadit.org/files/221103-Default.ini

Here's what I know how to do:
Adjust walk speed (less floaty)
Change HUD size
Change font size
Turn on a few graphics settings (not sure if they do anything)
Turn off read only for user.ini

Change font
Improve font smoothing
Improve HUD smoothing
More choice for HUD colours (i.e. greys - colour settings in .ini dont do anything)
Change menu res

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD MATE. These factors made no difference to gameplay. People are just going too far. Yes, there are some points which need addressing, but font size? Smoothing? You are looking for things to complain about.

SK Denton
22nd Nov 2003, 20:48
It is time to wake up to reality and realize that no amount of tweaking or tuning, as the IS devs like to say, can repair the massive dumbing down that this game has gone through.

Maybe by some miracle Warren will come to his senses and delay the game until next year, but short of that we are all stuck with the dumbed down console game known as DX:IW.

Dav1000
22nd Nov 2003, 20:55
If you're willing to endure the slow IS forums, http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?page=1&pagesize=20&forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880 really does have some good ini suggestions--including how to adjust damage multipliers.

Mr.Shroom
23rd Nov 2003, 16:34
Thanks to all of you who posted that VERY helpfull IS thread. I think I'll be sticking to the IS forums a weeeeeeee bit more than the Eidos ones, as the overall intelligence and 'work-ethic' level seems to be higher. :)

Everyone should REALLY check that thread. Pity there doesn't seem to be a way to edit individual weapons as opposed to overall damage.

Trestorific
23rd Nov 2003, 17:44
A Demo Tweaker (http://www.deusexzone.info/downloads.php?file_id=451) has also been created that edits the .ini's for you. It also has an "optimal" settings button that is quite handy.

Just remember, the "speichern" button translates to "Save"

PointlesS
23rd Nov 2003, 17:53
I just wish they would've at least included a simple level editor...that would've worked out fine imo...

Sense
23rd Nov 2003, 23:19
Originally posted by SK Denton
It is time to wake up to reality and realize that no amount of tweaking or tuning, as the IS devs like to say, can repair the massive dumbing down that this game has gone through.

Maybe by some miracle Warren will come to his senses and delay the game until next year, but short of that we are all stuck with the dumbed down console game known as DX:IW.

Yet again, I agree.

Even if there were only small mistakes (rather than the HUGE mistakes present in DXIW), like someone else said, there will be no sdk.

And if they did release an SDK, why should the consumers have to fix the game they paid for? (More than likely not just for the game, but a lot of people are paying to upgrade too).

NamelessOne
23rd Nov 2003, 23:31
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
exactly, cause without multiplayer whats the point of dev tools.

Huh? Look at Neverwinter Nights. I has mod tools (in fact, 90% of its selling point WERE the tools), and while it does have multiplayer, most of the mods are designed for singleplayer only.

And look at the community, its thriving. It crossed a 1000 mods a while back, and I'm not suprised if its up to 200 now.

Sense
23rd Nov 2003, 23:53
Originally posted by NamelessOne
Huh? Look at Neverwinter Nights. I has mod tools (in fact, 90% of its selling point WERE the tools), and while it does have multiplayer, most of the mods are designed for singleplayer only.

And look at the community, its thriving. It crossed a 1000 mods a while back, and I'm not suprised if its up to 200 now.

Yep. DX:IW should've had an SDK, it would've definitely added to the longevity (Making it possibly buyable rather than not a chance) of the game. Maybe there would've been a Deus Ex mod for IW.

NamelessOne
23rd Nov 2003, 23:56
Originally posted by Sense
Yep. DX:IW should've had an SDK, it would've definitely added to the longevity (Making it possibly buyable rather than not a chance) of the game. Maybe there would've been a Deus Ex mod for IW.

Or maybe there'll be a DXIW mod for DX? All the great gameplay plus DXIW's story... :rolleyes:

sprocket141
9th Jan 2004, 23:35
FINALLY, someone has stepped up with an AMAZING jump forward in the gaming arena..unfortunatley they forgot to add the MULIPLAYER/BOT match concept and the DEV KIT?

CMon eidos cough it up..or atleast PATCH it up for us to use.

I would LOOOOOVE to see a NEUROMANCER MOD or even a remake of the old c64 game(best ever all time game PERIOD!)

All i can say is thief 3 will be on my system the day i can get my hands on it..loved the 1st 2 games gonna really enjoy the 3rd with the new havok engine. simply amazing work.

be nice to see what the MOD community could conjure up with the toolz.

Sprocket141

Frraksurred
10th Jan 2004, 06:04
IS now has a DX Mod Forum (eluded to earlier in this thread). There are several nice tidbits to be found there. :D

There is a high-res texture/skin pack with a ton of goodies in it. I believe they are nearly ready with an installer for it as well. There are also some user made audio tools and some other stuff I haven't had time to read up on yet. I started a guide on how to import the high-res skins into the game here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31075&highlight=high+res+textures). There are some awesome skins to be found there. I should have a bunch of updates for that thread when the general installer is finished.

Anyway, just in case you were interested.

sprocket141
10th Jan 2004, 07:52
Well it's a start in the right direction...but i was aiming more along the lines of Eidos throwin us a bone(sdk) so we can get some MODS goin...and hopefully add some multiplayer options so we can frag it up in style.

I am dying to see the bullet damage and model "dancing" when gettin riddled with a clip...or two ;p....not to mention the rest of the "destructables"

Havok looks like it's here to stay...and I LIIIIIKE IT...I LIIIIIKE IT ALOT!

Major_Chaos...err sprocket141

vehicles would also be fun...piloting that harrier woulda been neat too.

FlatFoot
10th Jan 2004, 09:25
I LIKE THIS POST!

Wish I had more programming experience than BASIC on Timex Sinclair 1000's and CoCo II's. :)

From reading these threads since before I ever got the game as I see it there are two major problems with the game that the most people seem to be talking about;

Problems with the game crashing because of the Ion launcher, the constant loading of too-small levels and the almost manic copy protection checks.

A graphics engine that, while pretty, is incompatible with many lower-end (but still good) video cards, causing flashes and other bizzare-0 effects that in some cases make the game unplayable unless the user goes out and blows a couple of hundred bucks on a new video card.

As I see it the best solution to this is a TC. A total conversion telling the Deus Ex: Invisible War story using the Deus Ex: GOTY engine. I've already seen a thread about this idea and it looks like people are interested.

This is something the members of the DX community with some programming skills could do. It would open the game up to more players, as the older engine is more forgiving of systems that are more than 6 months old.

TNX