PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on how to improve DX:IW

p7eter
22nd Nov 2003, 07:49
well i loved DX1, and i did not dislike DXIW demo as much as some others, but i do have constructive feedback:

COMBAT - The tactical elements seem severly crippled. i.e., locational damage. The universal ammo has negative consequences because if you try to take out a bunch of guards with pistol, you run out for all other guns. The crosshairs are too damn big, and this makes locational damage even harder. I will concede that maybe with some upgrade mod, the pistol will be more powerful.
The gun also seemed to holster itself whenever i got my body too close to a wall... if this was intentional then it was a bad idea. I cant tell you how annoying it is to be shooting through a window and have the pistol holster itself in the middle of combat if i accidentlay touch a ladder or get to close to a wall.

STEALTH is weak... wasnt there supposed to be a light gem or something? admittedly maybe i just need more practice, but it seemed easy for guards to see me even when trying to hide.

MODS - six seems like not enough. once you consider that some will be passive, there is simply not that many options at any given time.

HACKING is anti-climacitc... i fact, it is just like "accessing" the computer except you have to wait two seconds and it tells you HACKING! in big letters.
so I guess tha tmeans you are supposed to feel cool because now you know that you were HACKING and not, in fact, simply USING the terminal.
The time limit countdown from dx1 was better. Also the hack menu should not close whenever i move the mouse.
Also, the gun turret camera is WAY too dark, i could see nothing.

NG-REZ's music pod needs to be louder. or perhaps have a volume slider on it. i could barely hear it in the adjacent room.
do the kidneythieves some justice ;-)

NEWS terminals - could play voice even while i walk around, so that i do not have to stand still and stare at the menu for several minutes... i could be organizing my inventory or exploring or something.
there should be a better way of navigating through each story... as it is, i have to go one by one and if i accidentally skip one, i have to cycle all the way through.

BOOKS - menus need to be bigger... window is too small, it should take up more of the screen and feel like an actual book, instead of another Item description. I have to flip the page too often.

INVENTORY should have drag and drop. and i should be able to click once and read the description. As it is, i am constantly clicking and it is not doing what i want - it moves items into my primary slot when i only intended to click and read the info.
INV is also very small, i barely had room for the baton and shotgun... but i wont complain since that is not a big deal, it just seems like an unecessary handicap. But i can respect that as a developer call.

HUD is not that bad, but should be curved more toward the periphery of the screen and have an option, perhaps a slider in the options screen, to proportionally shrink the HUD. It is just a little bit "in the way." and i personally am a fan of minimalist HUD's, so i can see the virtual world better.

PHYSICS - i want the option to vary the intensity of a throw... as it is, you can only throw opjects a limited distance. Also, i want to be able to see the box i am carrying... it seems to dissappear when carrying it and that feels wrong.
ALso, bodies jitter on the ground. The cat corpse was shaking continuously even after it was dead.

GFX: this was a demo so i dont know if it was minimized for size... but i will say that the cat face model sucked and the elevator shaft texture did too. Everything else was fine though. The order member's face was well-done.
BLOOM should be off by default... i nearly freaked out when i saw how tv-like and terrible the gfx looked when i first loaded the game... then thankfully i realized i could remove this infernal BLOOM feature.
ALso, when Bloom was on it gave me distortion at the edges of some rooms, like the hallway.

MISC:
back and forth between loading screens can potentially get annoying if not done right. (so try to keep us in one area for multiple tasks before moving away again. although i guess its to late to change something like that.)

Every time i enter the bar i have to hear the same conversation... lets hear it ONCE and then I'll use my good old "memory" to know that my guns automatically get turned off.

wheres the Keypads? will we be able to enter codes or passwords in the final?
and i hope you havent taken out the deliciously voyeuristic ability to use computer passwords and read people's email, in accordance with some misguided notion of "streamlining." That was one of the defining things of DX.

the simple fact is, sometimes there are things you CANT take out without losing a fun tactical element.
Comapre chess versus checkers. Keep simplifying chess and eventually you end up with Checkers. of course, checkers is more accessible and simple than chess, and still fun...
but it can never replace chess.

Viking
22nd Nov 2003, 07:56
Man, the game sucks. Give up already, constructive criticism won't change this tremendous disappointment of a game. Not this late in development. Let's just hope they don't make a third one, and put another blotch on the name of Deus Ex.

p7eter
22nd Nov 2003, 08:06
nah i think the demo just somehow showcases all the worst qualities and magnifies them. we havent seen everything.. the final WILL be better.

at least, thats what im gonna keep telling myself until dec. 3

Viking
22nd Nov 2003, 08:11
And until you spend $50 dollars on a piece of crap, and shoot yourself in the foot for doing so. Then, you will die, seeing as how, being a DX:IW fan, you don't have localized damage.

[EDIT] By the way, a demo showcases a game. It's supposed to lure people in. If it showcases bad parts of a game, it usually means the game sucks. End of story.

sargebaldy
22nd Nov 2003, 08:13
It needs all the little details that made Deus Ex great.

Viking
22nd Nov 2003, 08:40
Little? Try huge.

HOTLEAD
22nd Nov 2003, 08:56
here's how u fix the seemingly biggest dissappointment of my gaming life. Toss DXIW in the trash and start all over. Name it DX3 for all i care, just dont put out any more games what insult the pc gamer and insult the masterpiece of DX. ***** THE XBOX, ***** eidos, ***** ion strom, ***** Harvey and his retarted evisionings and ***** spector for letting this travesty happen under his eye.

Prohass
22nd Nov 2003, 09:30
jesus. is it that bad? are they're any good things people can say about the game? I mean, i find it hard to believe that they could stuff it up that much, i was afraid they'd do some things wrong and that it might not be a brilliant game, but this sounds catastrophic.

Viking
22nd Nov 2003, 09:36
here's how u fix the seemingly biggest dissappointment of my gaming life. Toss DXIW in the trash and start all over. Name it DX3 for all i care, just dont put out any more games what insult the pc gamer and insult the masterpiece of DX. ***** THE XBOX, ***** eidos, ***** ion strom, ***** Harvey and his retarted evisionings and ***** spector for letting this travesty happen under his eye.

If I was a chick, I'd marry you. lol, joking. My sentiments exactly, however.

THIS GAME SUCKS! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON IT! YOU WILL ONLY SUPPORT A GROUP OF IDIOTS TO MAKE OTHER HUGE MISTAKES IN GAMES! IN THE LEAST SIGN THE PETITION THREAD TO GET THE GAME DELAYED!

Jesus... What a disppointment.

sargebaldy
22nd Nov 2003, 09:36
Yeah, it seems almost everyone who enjoyed Deus Ex didn't like the demo. Which means Ion Storm marketed it towards a completely different audience and left their original fans in the dust. Thanks. I'm sure it'll be popular among the lamer XBox crowd.

ABRAXAAS
22nd Nov 2003, 09:38
Only 2 things i could possibly say bad about this game and im trying hard. Needs headshots, second fix the pixley fracturing on ati cards , damn nvidia and there crap.

Other than that this game is just plain old fashioned fun quit being winey little babys

Viking
22nd Nov 2003, 09:47
Other than that this game is just plain old fashioned fun quit being winey little babys

Mark my words, you cesspool of sub-human filth, for you will be chased across the desert by sex-starved camels.

Headshots are a major part of it. Second, there's the fact that stealth is practically impossible. Then, there's the horrible interface, generic ammo, bottomless clips, and a long list of bull**** that we've been fed by a group of developers that is giving the PC crowd the finger, and choosing the xbox crowd, which is, in other words, homosexual teenage boys who like spilling blood in video games, but who would run away like little girls were they to be confronted with a violent situation in reality. Anyone who disagrees with me can go straight to hell.

Prohass
22nd Nov 2003, 09:54
im an xboxer, and thought the PC demo which I played at a mates house was a piece of ****. What the **** is so lame about being an xboxer? what the hell was with the homosexual remark? Blame Ion storm for focusing the game on an xbox market, but dont blame the market.

I think everyones just a bit balistic cos of how crap the game is, but no need to go calling people gay and lame. The game sucks because of what they did to it, not because of the xbox community. We didn';t tell them what to put in the game, if they aimed it at our market, they simply asumed what our market liked, they didn';t ask us as a collective, so its not our fault.

HOTLEAD
22nd Nov 2003, 10:08
Originally posted by Viking
If I was a chick, I'd marry you. lol, joking. My sentiments exactly, however.

haha

But unlike you im still getting the game on the flicker of hope it will get better, which i doubt. If the story plays strong I think it might still my be worth my 50$ but it sure as hell wont be the 50$ i played for the original.

HOTLEAD
22nd Nov 2003, 10:23
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
Only 2 things i could possibly say bad about this game and im trying hard.

You obviously weren't a fan of the first Deus Ex if you can only find 2 problems. Implementing skills and improving interfaces would solve so much and actually help to create a level of emmersion currently nonexsistent. For christ's sake i can't think of 2 good things to say about it and i came into the demo from a neutral standpoint. When i played through for the first time i came up with 12! major problems that contributed to all the ill statements being made on these boards. Like the matrix they should have stuck to the original but instead they got greedy and the **** it the fan.

ABRAXAAS
22nd Nov 2003, 10:27
Originally posted by HOTLEAD
You obviously weren't a fan of the first Deus Ex if you can only find 2 problems. Implementing skills and improving interfaces would solve so much and actually help to create a level of emmersion currently nonexsistent. For christ's sake i can't think of 2 good things to say about it and i came into the demo from a neutral standpoint. When i played through for the first time i came up with 12! major problems that contributed to all the ill statements being made on these boards. Like the matrix they should have stuck to the original but instead they got greedy and the **** it the fan.

Actually i loved the first deus ex, it still ranks as one of my favorite games of all time. But i take each new game as if it was something new. so it has some problems, nothing i care about. and second you cant tell me that on the forums when the first deus ex came out there wasnt people *****in about **** then to.

HOTLEAD
22nd Nov 2003, 10:45
Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
Actually i loved the first deus ex, it still ranks as one of my favorite games of all time. But i take each new game as if it was something new. so it has some problems, nothing i care about. and second you cant tell me that on the forums when the first deus ex came out there wasnt people *****in about **** then to.

To the extent that IW is being critized, NO there weren't nearly as many complaints. There is always *****ing about the best games but not to this extent, not in this varity, and not in such a harsh manner, no way. The polls are showing 45percent hate/dislike IW while less then 35percent liked/loved it. and the rest lying in the neutral are still waiting for the full game to make final judgement. Im one of those and if the the full version fallows suit to the demo, tack on another vote to the hate catagory.

It's impossible to not compare a sequel to the original. Its ******** based on the original, and if it doesnt even come close to living up to the standards of the original its a ******** failure no matter how good the original was. enough said.

Agent D
22nd Nov 2003, 12:39
Good points, p7eter, I agree with pretty much all of it. Summed up well in the chess/checkers part too.

One thing I would like to have un-streamlined is the weapon accuracy. Even one of the more arcade-like shooters, Counterstrike, makes you stop running in order to shoot perfectly.

*Edit* It's just too bad that most of the problems are much more than what a last minute patch/tweak could fix. Oh well.