PDA

View Full Version : 'pixel shading 1.1'

sargebaldy
22nd Nov 2003, 05:11
The Deus Ex: Invisible War demo says that I need a video card that supports pixel shading 1.1 or greater in order to play. If a video card cannot do to this, the CPU is supposed to emulate it instead. My video card is a Radeon 7500 btw. I don't see how you guys managed to overlook something like this... but please put up a patch for the demo, as I will hardly feel inclined to pay $50 for a game that has a bug that makes it completely unplayable.

marlon4242
22nd Nov 2003, 05:21
I have the same card and same error, I just got off ATI tech support, we REALLY got screwed when we bought the card because votex/pixal shudders 1.1 are put on radeon 8500 and up, so WE will never run the game on our cards so you know what i DID, took it out and threw it out my window onto the street where a car ran it over and i bout a NICE 9600XT that works GREAT!

Dr. Lobotomy
22nd Nov 2003, 05:25
Add me to the list of peeps getting the pixel shading 1.1 error when I try to run the DX:IW Demo.

I have a nVidia GeForce4 with freshly installed updated drivers and directX9.0.

What gives?

dirigimaster
22nd Nov 2003, 05:26
Originally posted by sargebaldy
The Deus Ex: Invisible War demo says that I need a video card that supports pixel shading 1.1 or greater in order to play. If a video card cannot do to this, the CPU is supposed to emulate it instead. My video card is a Radeon 7500 btw. I don't see how you guys managed to overlook something like this... but please put up a patch for the demo, as I will hardly feel inclined to pay $50 for a game that has a bug that makes it completely unplayable.

Don't think they overlooked, they stated that you need a DirectX8.1 video card. the 7500 is a DirectX 8.0 video card.

sargebaldy
22nd Nov 2003, 05:29
Yeah, but this particular error is something that CPUs should be able to emulate...I think it's pretty sad my card will be able to run Half Life 2 and Doom III, but not Deus Ex: IW...

marlon4242
22nd Nov 2003, 06:03
nope because both use same tech, its not there on your card its a chipset, like ram if its not there you can't use it, but whats funny is that WINDOWS CAN emulate ram LOL, its not the final product maybe they will fix it

sargebaldy
22nd Nov 2003, 06:47
Is is it maybe possible to use *gasp* software rendering?

PointlesS
22nd Nov 2003, 07:03
Originally posted by dirigimaster
Don't think they overlooked, they stated that you need a DirectX8.1 video card. the 7500 is a DirectX 8.0 video card.
actually it's a direct x 7 card...direct x 8 specs call for a card with pixel and vertex shaders which the 7500 does not have...

pixel shaders can not be emulated by the cpu...that only applies to vertex shaders...and it's done a lot more slower...

marlon4242
22nd Nov 2003, 07:07
acually i found out doing 3d mark test radeon 7500 HAd 1.1 its the vortext thing i think thats missing.

PointlesS
22nd Nov 2003, 07:25
run the nature test in 3dmark 2001...it won't run because it has no pixel shaders...if it does then it isn't a radeon 7500

robokev
29th Nov 2003, 06:16
Originally posted by PointlesS
run the nature test in 3dmark 2001...it won't run because it has no pixel shaders...if it does then it isn't a radeon 7500

Good call on the 3dMark2001 nature test. Turns out that was exactly my problem. However, neither the OEM of the card in question, nor the manufacturer of the system had any info about pixel shader on their site.

So, if I'm going to upgrade, how can I find out if my prospective new card will support PS (other than perusing these boards looking for people with problems)?

Also, what the hell does PS do anyway and why can't software emulate it (albeit slower than hardware)?

MonkeyLungs
29th Nov 2003, 09:24
this is one of the reasons i have converted to the darkside of console gaming ...

people who design these games and the pc tech are in cahoots together and frankly they can go suqacoq ...

sometimes i wish i didn't really love to play games so much

MiG
29th Nov 2003, 10:31
I wouldn't convert to console gaming too fast.
Once more, ISA haven't done a great job technically with IW.
Probably because they were concentrating on the console. Most multiformat or converted games usually are poorly converted. But most games just designed for the pc run smoothly, valve say hl2 will bring forth a new era of pc friendliness. I don't think they're wrong either.
Quick remedy, buy a new card. Depending on how much you have, you'll be able to track down a card easily enough.
Don't get a top of the range card unless the rest of your pc is top of the range. Cheap alternative: if you can still find it online, the Radeon 9000 (or 9100) would be fine, not a beast by any means, but it'd run IW. You could probably find it for €50 or something...

Dark Of Thought
29th Nov 2003, 17:29
Pixel shading is 3 year old technology STOP ****ING WHINING YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!

Crazyman700
29th Nov 2003, 17:39
Yeah, but this particular error is something that CPUs should be able to emulate...I think it's pretty sad my card will be able to run Half Life 2 and Doom III, but not Deus Ex: IW

HA ha.....HA HA Ha ha. your computer wont run half life 2 unless u have a 64bit proscesor, and even if u buy one, u need a new motherboard! my sugestion is to (a) Buy a computer wit an AMD anthalon 64 bit proceser or(b) buy an X-Box. But befor u go buy ur new computer, whic, with the new procer, will be blazing fast, wait for intels upcing 32 bit pentium 4 "Extreme" prosesor which will also be good. Also, intel has already made REALLY EXPENSIVE 64 bit procesers but in a years time the consumer levle will ship...
If i said something wrong, dont blame me

Half life 2 system requirements:
800Mhz-1000Mhz is needed
128Mb is needed
64Mb isneeded.
1Gb is needed.

MiG
29th Nov 2003, 18:58
Half life 2 does not require a 64 bit processor. I'm not too sure where you heard that from, but something got their info completly screwed up...
AMD are currently rolling out their 64 bit processors, they're brilliant, but uber expensive. Intel will be doing the same too soon, and they'll be even more expensive!

OrioTecc
29th Nov 2003, 19:07
Originally posted by Dark Of Thought
Pixel shading is 3 year old technology STOP ****ING WHINING YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!

wach out, were not allowed to say things like that...:rolleyes: i know i got flamed for saying it...and that was even less agressive...