PDA

View Full Version : Ion Storms Big Mistake



nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 04:28
I belive releasing this demo was a big mistake of ion storm, it's basicly just killed half of the fans, however I do beleve that it wasn't the latest build, by looking at how many bugs demo contain, I think it was an old demo for when they first showed it to game magazines staff and sites. I can imagine how disapointing it was for many fans, but lets not jump ahead and asume the worst. Lets wait for reviews and see what is really behind Invisible War. I still have hope for it.

The Glome
22nd Nov 2003, 04:30
I agree one hundred percent. It's still too early to judge the game, and a 10 minute demo is hardly enough to base an in-depth review on. (Or maybe it is? I don't know, I haven't played the demo).

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 04:33
I mean i read hundreds of article on this game since i really loved the first part and most of them say that IW is very very good, i mean why would they say its good when demo has so many bugs.I belive the final verision has all of those nasty bugs fixed.

SK Denton
22nd Nov 2003, 04:36
Originally posted by nacr0mancer
I belive releasing this demo was a big mistake of ion storm, it's basicly just killed half of the fans, however I do beleve that it wasn't the latest build, by looking at how many bugs demo contain, I think it was an old demo for when they first showed it to game magazines staff and sites. I can imagine how disapointing it was for many fans, but lets not jump ahead and asume the worst. Lets wait for reviews and see what is really behind Invisible War. I still have hope for it.

Do you really believe that IS would release an old build with lots of bugs on purpose?

Don't you think they know that a bad demo would generate a huge negative reaction and thus try to release a near perfect demo?

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 04:40
Well maybe its not very old build but, not the latest one, i mean its not natural to have so many bugs.

Jesus, P.I.
22nd Nov 2003, 04:41
In case some of you have not been reading around, the bulk of us are not upset about technical or interface problems that could easily be addressed in a patch. What disturbs us is the shallowness and "console" feel of the gameplay, the distinctly "Unreal 2003" feel of the combat. These are not things that Ion Storm is going to fix before a release of the game. Not without a BIG push from fans.

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 04:42
Yea, thats true but u got to admit one thing though, the manu music rocked. :)

MDent
22nd Nov 2003, 04:43
It does seem odd that its been getting good previews and I havent seen any that really put it down. The game looks almost as if it was made at the same time as the original deus ex, outdated graphics etc, then some lighting and physics thrown in to apear more modern. I really cant get into the demo much simply because the performance is so bad (on a high spec rig).
The graphics would maybe be ok if I could set everything on max but that isnt possible.

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 04:47
Another thing with the demo, it has many slow downs even with my powerfull pc, its still a bit slow, I'm sure ion stom cant just simply leave it like this, so before asuming anything i'd rather wait for reviews.

Coldie
22nd Nov 2003, 04:50
Man, by the sounds of things I guess I should feel fortunate to have a Mac and be unable to test out the current demo...:(

F3nyx
22nd Nov 2003, 04:51
Originally posted by Jesus, P.I.
What disturbs us is the shallowness and "console" feel of the gameplay, the distinctly "Unreal 2003" feel of the combat.Actually, Unreal Tournament games have a much meatier feel to combat than DX2 does. You can get headshots in those :p

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 04:54
HAHAHA True! Maybe enimies in IW got one of those face of steel biomods.

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 05:06
Check out latest preview of DX:IW http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/deusexinvisiblewar/preview_6084159.html Nothing but good things they say. Strange

Jesus, P.I.
22nd Nov 2003, 05:09
Originally posted by F3nyx
Actually, Unreal Tournament games have a much meatier feel to combat than DX2 does. You can get headshots in those :p

It is painful for me to have to agree with that completely :(

Jesus, P.I.
22nd Nov 2003, 05:13
Originally posted by nacr0mancer
Another thing with the demo, it has many slow downs even with my powerfull pc, its still a bit slow, I'm sure ion stom cant just simply leave it like this, so before asuming anything i'd rather wait for reviews.

I for one don't trust the people who previewed the game and gave positive comments basically across the board to turn around and say anything negative. That would hurt their reputation. Now that they have adopted the "yes-men" attitude, it is with that attitide that they must stick.

With all the positive previews, I really do not know what to think. Maybe having access to the whole game really will turn things around? I'm skeptical, but still holding out hope.

Stormwraith
22nd Nov 2003, 05:16
You know, I was surprised when I found out the other day it would be released so early. Less than a week ago, all I'd heard was that it wouldn't be released until after the game came out and how people were disappointed by this. Perhaps they did release an old demo just so we could get a taste.

-J-

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 05:19
yea thats what i think, i truly hope that final version will prove everyone wrong, hopefully. heh

Agent D
22nd Nov 2003, 05:26
I think that if they wanted to get more sales, they should have waited. Not because of bugs, just because some of us half-believed the "we're not dumbing it down" quotes. I don't know, maybe Ion Storm has started to believe it themselves.

Sci
22nd Nov 2003, 05:33
It was all for the sake of the Xbox. There is no denying it, and there are way too many parallels between IW and the console version of Deus Ex. I also think I'm probably the only person here who noticed the narrow FOV, which is also indicitive of console games (I noticed the same thing on the PC port for Halo).

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 05:37
Wow after this im definitly sure its an old a s s build

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27875

SK Denton
22nd Nov 2003, 05:37
Originally posted by nacr0mancer
yea thats what i think, i truly hope that final version will prove everyone wrong, hopefully. heh

The only way the final version will "prove everyone wrong" is if they delay the game until next year, fire Harvey Smith, and do a complete 180 as far as this streamlining ideology goes.

nacr0mancer
22nd Nov 2003, 05:43
well look at the picture above and tell me that, this demo is from the latest development of a game. i mean its shamefull even have such bug.

Amorpheus
22nd Nov 2003, 05:44
Originally posted by Jesus, P.I.
With all the positive previews, I really do not know what to think. Maybe having access to the whole game really will turn things around? I'm skeptical, but still holding out hope.
Judging from some comments I've seen, it seems the game can very well grow on people who didn't like it at first.

Perhaps the demo was to prepare the people b**ching here for the shock they would have had trying the full game? But probably it would have been better to let them dive in slowly in the full version...