PDA

View Full Version : Listen up..

The Glome
22nd Nov 2003, 02:48
I've noticed that the demo has been recieved with little praise. I'd just like to point out that we were all just as bewildered when we first played the original Deus Ex. I remember the first time I had to wait 10 seconds in order to shoot a pistol straight. I hated it.

Now, 2 years later, Deus Ex is easily my favorite game ever. We all need to give DX:IW a fair chance. It was ONLY A DEMO. The full game will be tons better.. hopefully.

Personally, I still can't wait for the game. :D

C'mon, be happy. The sequel to our favorite game is finally here! We can't change anything about DX: IW. Petitions will do nothing. And just like any other game, we need to PLAY THE FULL GAME before we can start critisizing it.

And besides, the best thing about Deus Ex was always the story, in my opinion. If nothing, at least we can look forward to that. :D

Sci
22nd Nov 2003, 02:50
I'm praying that I won't get that horrendous mouse lag on the final like I did in the demo, because it drives me absolutely bonkers.

Even still, I have a lot of gripes about the demo, mostly relating to the fact that it feels like I'm playing on the Xbox, not to mention everything I said would do the game harm. God, how I hate being right.

Jesus, P.I.
22nd Nov 2003, 03:00
Originally posted by The Glome
I've noticed that the demo has been recieved with little praise. I'd just like to point out that we were all just as bewildered when we first played the original Deus Ex. I remember the first time I had to wait 10 seconds in order to shoot a pistol straight. I hated it.

Now, 2 years later, Deus Ex is easily my favorite game ever. We all need to give DX:IW a fair chance. It was ONLY A DEMO. The full game will be tons better.. hopefully.

C'mon, be happy. The sequel to our favorite game is finally here! We can't change anything about DX: IW. Petitions will do nothing. And just like any other game, we need to PLAY THE FULL GAME before we can start critisizing it.

And besides, the best thing about Deus Ex was always the story, in my opinion. If nothing, at least we can look forward to that. :D

Okay, first of all your first point could not be more off. I was absolutely taken with DX1 from the very start. I am sure there are others who were as well. Therefore, it could not only have been the story that hooked me initially, because the game had me the moment I walked into hostile territory at the base of the statue. In this demo, all I notice is lack of gameplay depth; depth that was apparent in DX1 from almost the start.

Why should we be happy? Especially if we were expecting something in the spirit of Deus Ex. Believe me, I recognize that Deus Ex had its flaws, and I was counting on Ion Storm to fix them and to make a great game. I am sad and disappointed.

What Harvey needs to realize is that there is a difference between innovation and tossing out things just for the sake of seeing them go. The most glaring example: localized body damage. There is a reason why this has become the norm in FPS games.

And for people who think that the removal of localized damage is a good idea, please respond to my message and convince me that your idea has merit. Because right now I am at a loss as to how people can find this affront to stealth gameplay excusable.

Hawkmoon269
22nd Nov 2003, 03:05
Originally posted by The Glome

Agreed, Demos are meant to simply be a teaser. Although, whether or not the same problems will exist in the final version is only known to the developers. I have a MX Series card...I can't play the demo because it's not supported. I sure hope it is supported in the final version because I am right now in a deficit of funds and I barely have enough money for the game when it is released. I do not plan on buying a new card over a game. Other things in life are much more important. Deus Ex is hands-down the best FPS I have ever played but I am not willing to pay for a new card when my current video card runs most games fine....Aye, Ion Storm, I am sure many of the things mentioned in this forum will not occur in the Final version but please fix the MX Support problem, or at least release a patch before or at the time of the launch so I may be assured that my system will be able to support the game.

Thank You,
A fan of Deus Ex

F3nyx
22nd Nov 2003, 03:10
Aye, I'm with Jesus on all points.

I actually was happily surprised by not being able to aim my pistol in Deus Ex - I just leveled up to Advanced w/ pistol right at the beginning. Having to "steady" my aim was refreshing.

And I liked the game long before Deus Ex's storyline got into gear.