PDA

View Full Version : 2 "Q's" about DE Construction

Greasel
21st Nov 2003, 21:31
"Q":
[1] Wasnt Deus Ex: Conspiracy made for PC first, then ported to PS2?

[2] Isnt Deus Ex :Invisible War made for PC first, then ported to Xbox, other consoles?

Im in disagreement w/user on other forum about this.
My opposition tells me DE [both 1&2] arent good PC games due to being ported from consoles....I say hes wrong.
I say in both cases, DE was designed for PC first. Though I hear DE2 is ported for neither, but made independently for each format.

Thanks for setting me straight!
Greasel

C-Tzar
21st Nov 2003, 21:48
DE1 was originaly a PC game, ported to PS2.
DE2 was supposedly (and possibly debatably) designed for both simultaneously.

As far an not being good PC games. My personal opinion is that your opposition needs to put down the crack pipe and slowly back away.

comreak
21st Nov 2003, 22:06
I've posted this before but here's a snippet from an IGN interview with the Deus Ex:IW devs:

Jonric: What are the main lessons you learned in making Deus Ex and also in making a console version that have help you most in the creation of Invisible War?

Matt Baer: Well, Deus Ex was conceived as a PC game with no intention of heading to a console. But we decided to do a PS2 version of the game, and it was obvious that this was going to be no small task. For one thing, PCs generally have much more memory than consoles. So, we had to optimize our systems and content to fit in a very small memory footprint. Then, we had performance problems. We had to do a lot of custom coding in order to really tap into the power of the console. And finally, the interface was a huge issue. Consoles really force you to think about your interface and make it as streamlined as possible, otherwise your game suffers dramatically. We pretty much had to throw out the PC interface and come up with something entirely new.

So, when we started working on Invisible War, we targeted the console from day one. This time it wasn't an afterthought. Every decision we made along the way considered that we would be running on a console. And I think you'll notice the difference.

Notice the bolded sentence.

HOTLEAD
22nd Nov 2003, 00:46
Wow that inferiorates me. Deus Ex got its fame from PCs and now they turn their back on us. When they were in development they should have been thinking about the PC and xbox separate from each other and implementing different specifications for both. I hope sales flop, I really do. This is such a disappointment. Warren if you make a DX 3 kick Harvey or whoever was in charge of this catastrophe off the team they don’t know what the **** they are doing.