PDA

View Full Version : Why is DX:IW optimizate with NVIDIA cards

archkiller
21st Nov 2003, 15:57
Anyone knows? I thought that currently radeon are much better than that crap nvidia cards.

AlteredGlyph
21st Nov 2003, 16:00
Don't worry, DX:IW is NOT optimized for NVIDIA cards, or RADEON. It's in an interview out there, cince there's so many I can't tell you the source, but don't worry, they aren't optimizing for either type.

PointlesS
21st Nov 2003, 16:33
the game has the stupid nvidia "the way it was meant to be played" thing on it...it just means nvidia has a lot of money...

AlteredGlyph
21st Nov 2003, 16:36
Yeah, but that's an Eidos decision, Ion Storm decided not to optimize for NVIDIA.

Quillan
21st Nov 2003, 16:39
All the phrases "The way it's meant to be played" and "Optimized for nVidia graphics cards" mean is that nVidia has paid money to the publisher of the game for advertising. ALL games wind up being optimized for particular cards. Later driver releases change the things necessary to make it run better.

Ghostdog
21st Nov 2003, 16:39
Naturally the game is optimized. It´s optimized for several different graphics cards, mainly for ATI´s and Nvidia´s cards since they control the majority of the market.

Ghostdog
21st Nov 2003, 16:41
Naturally the game is optimized. It´s optimized for several different graphics cards, mainly for ATI´s and Nvidia´s cards since they control the majority of the market. I doubt the game is especially optimized for any of the two main brands.

coldblue
21st Nov 2003, 17:41
So, I have a question:

Why does everyone hate NVidia so much? I can remember not so long ago (maybe a year, year and a half) when they were the gods of video cards and before that when they were our saviors from the evils of 3DFX. What happened?

Sure ATI's a lot more competitive in video cards than they used to be, but does that automatically mean NV sucks?

Freddo
21st Nov 2003, 17:50
The graphic card market is a very fast one. Things change. One year 3DFX are kings, the next they are dead. nVidia was great and awesome. Especially with their release of the Geforce3 card. Made everyone drool.

Then they became arrogant. Denies to have anything to do with driver cheating and tries to cover up for the fact that their GeforceFX have VERY bad PS2.0 support. You can read all about the downfall of nVidia on hardware sites from the release from GeforceFX to now. They have been less than good this year.

Anyway, a game having the nVidia logo only means one thing. nVidia payed them $$$ to have their name on it. That's it. It doesn't mean it's optimized for nVidia or something.

I still use my Geforce3 tho. I hope it will run good enough on it. Which I think it will. I don't mind playing in 800x600.

Meteor_of_War
21st Nov 2003, 18:11
I dont hate Nvidia or think they make bad products, i just think they are not as good as the current graphics king ATI right now.

Ghostdog
21st Nov 2003, 22:23
Sure ATI's a lot more competitive in video cards than they used to be, but does that automatically mean NV sucks? of course not, unfortunately there are people in this world who will furiously defend the company of their choice.

Some reasons behind Nvidia´s declining popularity are defenetely the dissapointing performance of the first GeForce FX GPU and Nvidia´s attempts to make it look good by cheating in benchmarks, and how they then tried to deny the whole thing.

oherror
21st Nov 2003, 23:34
I don't hate nvidia or radeon they both have thier strong points and there not so strong points.

IE: Nvidia makes damn good drivers, but currently there cards are lacking.

Then with radeon... they make freaking fast cards, but make ok drivers that don't truly use the whole power of the card.