PDA

View Full Version : Why?!?!

go1dfish
21st Nov 2003, 08:23
Why Eidos, why must the demo wait until Gamespy/Fileplanet have their grubby palms on it.

I think everyone here wants to know, Why arent you looking at distributing this any other way?

Bittorrent for example, Kazaa even

Just why must you make us suffer needlessly at the evil hands of gamespy/fileplanet

Surely this cant be good for your companies image, or even Gamespy's

I beg of you, end the madness and release the demo through reasonable means already and cut the crap, lest ye turn into another valve.

Volition
21st Nov 2003, 08:36
Because gamespy is FUNNY and dances well.

hakselsen
21st Nov 2003, 09:03
It's probably the old "They-been-waiting-for-3-years-so-they-can- manage-a-day-or-two-more" argument. Which kind of makes sense...

Besides, have you ever seen a software company say: "Go to kazaa". I think that would be a bad signal from Eidos.

They just use the regular channels for game advertisement.

go1dfish
21st Nov 2003, 09:07
Actually a recent full game (cant remember which, sorry) was posted on kazaa by the developer/publisher with a time limit. After the time limit you could buy it in stores (possibly online, cant remember) and activate your install.

But really, posting on bittorrent is alot different from posting on kazaa, the system works wildly different. Bittorrent is designed for situations JUST like this, high demand for a big file, with minimal bandwidth usage from the provider.

Anyone who doesnt know how bittorrent works should really read up on it, its a great concept. http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

But notwithstanding, there is no reason not to give the demo to other game sites for distrobution.

NamelessOne
21st Nov 2003, 09:38
Originally posted by go1dfish
Actually a recent full game (cant remember which, sorry) was posted on kazaa by the developer/publisher with a time limit. After the time limit you could buy it in stores (possibly online, cant remember) and activate your install.

But really, posting on bittorrent is alot different from posting on kazaa, the system works wildly different. Bittorrent is designed for situations JUST like this, high demand for a big file, with minimal bandwidth usage from the provider.

Anyone who doesnt know how bittorrent works should really read up on it, its a great concept. http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

But notwithstanding, there is no reason not to give the demo to other game sites for distrobution.

It was The Temple of Elemental Evil, by Troika.

Catman
21st Nov 2003, 14:14
I doubt we can ever get an official reply on this -- and since this thread can only lead to further FilePlanet/Eidos bashing, it's now closing.