PDA

View Full Version : Second hard drive issues

Caradavin1
21st Nov 2003, 07:05
Hello all,

I have some problems. I bought a Western Digital 60 Gig hd a month and a half ago. I slaved it from my C drive. It is now the D drive. I can't remember what I did, but by consulting help and hp's site, I eventually got the D drive to be the drive I use instead of C (C has 26.7 gigs left on it, D has over 36 left - I backed up c on d). Okay, after I backed up c, I figured that everything c had on it, d would have on it as well. So far, I've had to reinstall 6 programs on d that were already on it. I also have gotten the info when I run scandisk that my d drive has 190008 bytes of bad sectors on it. I went to the Western Digital site, and this was the top issue on its faq. Their solution was to run a program they had available for download on the d drive. I ran the program and it said my drive was fine and I passed their tests with flying colors, then I was to click a button that connected to a page on the net. Well, when I clicked that button, I got an error page (but I figured it was a "congratulations, your hard drive is in pristine condition," so I don't care about that). Their contact us page was down, so I used some feedback page. I have heard nothing, of course, from them yet.
Today, I used Dromed to start working on the Contest 5 FM, and when I try to use C's Dromie, I get the GUI Font error (but I've reinstalled Dromie twice now - and I know how to unzip it and all that); however, when I use D's Dromie, it works BUT I cannot open any saves I get the message Buff lens exceeded 80 by 99 everytime and all I have so far is 7 solid brushes, 4 air brushes, and 3 roombrushes. I reinstalled it to D as well, but same thing is happening. Also, C: gives me no bad sectors or bytes when I scandisk it. They are defragmented and cleaned, too. Can anyone help me? I have Windows XP Professional, a Samsung 30 G, and Western Digital 60 G, upgrades on sound and video cards, PIII, HP Pavilion xt914. I hope that is all the info needed. Thanks :(

Peter_Smith
22nd Nov 2003, 19:00
It looks like you confused your system by not following a clean disk swap procedure. Having Windows resident on two drives can cause bad problems unless it is accomplished cleanly (see below). It looks like your registry was either not moved correctly or has bad data in it. Backing up files from one drive to another is not enough. You need to clone the drive byte for byte, including open files and the registry, which many backup programs running under Windows will fail to copy. Cloning usually entails booting from a floppy that has the cloning program on it, so Windows is not running and there are no open files while the cloning is being done. Hard drive manufacturers have cloning programs to do this, and I think Western Digital's program works fine ( I have used it).

I don't know about the bad sector message - that may be real or not. TBD later.

If I were you I would restart the cloning process from scratch. Here is what I would do, assuming that your old drive is still intact with an OS on it.

1. It is a good idea to do a full backup of your system before beginning the drive swap, but I think you have gone past the point where this will help. Anyway, you have copies of some files on both C and D, so you have a backup of sorts, even if neither drive is totally correct now.

2. Physically take the new disk drive (D) out of the system (just remove it's cable and set the old drive to primary or solo.

3. Get the system running with the old drive in single drive mode and do all the necessary checks. Norton System Works is handy for checking the registry. This establishes a clean starting position for the disk swap. You may want to do a full system backup at this point.

3a. If you cannot reestablish a clean starting point for the swap, then you may need to reinstall your OS. That could be done by taking the old drive C out (it is a backup), putting the new drive in as primary, testing the new drive for bad sectors using the WD program, and if none found doing a clean install of the OS and all applications on the new drive. If you do this, then following steps are irrelevant.

4. Assuming you have established a clean starting point, put the second (new) drive in as Secondary drive. You may need to change jumpers on both drives to make the old drive primary and the new drive secondary. Then the new drive will be D.

5. You didn't say what OS you have. If 9x, then run fdisk, wipe the partitions on the new drive D, create new partitions, and format it. If 2000 or XP, I recall that you can do the same thing from the bootable CD. It has been a while since I have done it under 2000, and I forget the details here. I think you cannot hurt anything so long as you do not wipe drive C or reinstall the OS at this point. You may need to make the first partition on new drive D a primary partition so you can boot from it later. I think that will not hurt in any case, because the OS always tries to boot from the disk that is set by hardware jumpers as primary, regardless of partition designations on the other drive.

6. Test the new blank drive D for bad sectors using both Windows and WD's test program. Check to see if you can use D for storage of files and then delete the files. Either accept the drive as good or send it back to WD. You don't want any bad sectors on it.

7. Assuming the drive is good, get the disk cloning software from WD. Make the appropriate bootable floppy and put the cloning software on it. Then reboot from the floppy and run the clone proram to copy all contents of C to D. This is the procedure I have used, although WD might have a new Windows-based cloning program, which I am not familiar with.

8. When that is done, remove the old drive (was C) from the system and use your jumpers to set the new drive to primary so the system will boot from it, and the new drive will be called C.

9. Boot up and test your new cloned C drive, running several installed programs and Norton System Works or whatever.

10. Change jumpers again and put your old C drive back in as secondary (it will now be D) and reboot again from new drive C. Now the drives should have changed places. You should be able to see all your old files on the old D drive, but they should not interfere.

11. After you are convinced that everything is working, reformat drive D (old drive) and use it for data storage.

Caradavin1
23rd Nov 2003, 22:12
Peter, you are amazing. Actually, I finally got Dromed to work - the problem was that the files were saving to the old drive - so I could not access them again. Of course, I am sure that shouldn't be happening (actually, I'm not sure). I saved it to the new drive - and Dromed is working perfectly (well, as perfectly as it can ;) ). But, I can't help but wondering if I should go ahead and do what you told me to, since the reinstallation problem is a separate issue. I did copy the c drive from dos or something because I wasn't in Windows and I used a floppy disk. Also, it formatted as a FAT32 because my old drive is that (I've heard FAT32's aren't renowned as the best type). Also (translate -I'm stupid), I had the master disk on secondary and the slave as well. I reconnected them properly and things seem to run smoother. Should I go ahead and do what you outlined even though things are going better (you expert, you)? :)

Peter_Smith
23rd Nov 2003, 23:08
If things are more or less working, you may create more problems than you solve. I was in your situation once, only I was dealing only with a single disk drive, and I solved it by reinstalling each software package that failed to work properly. Took a lot of time, but finally the registry got reinstated correctly. The problem with your setup is that you have two disk drives C and D that may be sharing some system setup files. D should ideally be blank at some point so you can know your system is not mixed up. The mixed up system is bound to give you problems sooner or later. So, here is what I would do. I would remove the D drive completely (your original C drive) and see if the system works. Do whatever you can to test all the software. If it works, then you can put D back in and reformat it. If it doesn't work after some struggle and reinstalls, that means you have a mixed up system. At that point, I would revert to my original plan and see if I could start the process fresh with my original C drive, as described above.

But that is just me. I hate to have a messed up system, and I don't mind going to some trouble to get it right. You could continue to operate with a mixed system for quite some time, but you would never be confident in deleting the Windows directory on D, which really should not be there.

Caradavin1
26th Nov 2003, 07:31
I have no problem with doing that - I sit up for hours when troubleshooting my computer. I will bypass everything and anything until I solve the problem. Actually, I'm that way with everything - I have to fix and understand. Anyway, thank you for the advice and that is what I will do.:) :)