PDA

View Full Version : Demo delayed...link inside

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 18:51
Guys,really, i hope i'm so wrong here, but here (http://www.de2files.com/file.news?ID=7497) is some dreaded news,taken from Computer-And-VideoGames.com

It clearly states this :

DEUS EX: IW DEMO DELAYED, NEW SCREENS

Eidos reveals that gremlins have infested the Deus Ex: Invisible War PC demo expected today, causing a minor slip

17:10 Waiting with baited breath for the appearance of the demo of the PC version of Deus Ex: Invisible War, expected today, a round of exasperated sighs have been emitted following Eidos's revelation that the snapshot from Ion Storm's sequel is going to be delayed.
Talking to a spokesperson from the publisher earlier today, we were informed that a "problem" has been discovered with the demo. While further details weren't forthcoming, Eidos has confirmed with us that the discovery will have a knock on effect on the demo's release.

Worst-case scenario, according to Eidos, is that we'll now see the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo made available on Monday or Tuesday of next week, but remaining positive in the face of this small disaster the publisher also commented that it's entirely possible that the problem will be rectified quickly allowing a release tomorrow.

As soon as we get more concrete release info, we'll let you know.

ANyone who can prove me wrong, please do so..
I'm getting a bit fed-up with all the delays here....i'm european so i get to wait 3 months for the FULL game,and now this...
Really...it's not funny anymore!!

nacr0mancer
20th Nov 2003, 18:54
Shidddddddddddddddddd thats sucks azzzs, i was so looking forward to it

dirigimaster
20th Nov 2003, 18:55

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 18:56
Same here man,i've been refreshing 7 pages furiously for the last uhm...10 hours or so.
I put my personal life on "pause" just to get that demo.
I HATE to be the spoiler here,but i thought you guys should know.
Let's just hope a designer pops in and gives us more info, or prove me wrong and provides a link...
I prefer the latter one off course....

Dark Of Thought
20th Nov 2003, 18:58
What do you know? After the "Anti-exclusive content" threats an unrevealed problem is found at the last minute which delays the demo.

Amazing, seems Ion Storm is good at making conspiracy games along with actual conspiracy's.

OrioTecc
20th Nov 2003, 18:58
*stops hodling breath to say ***C!!*

*starts holding breath til tomorrow*

al_bundy
20th Nov 2003, 19:02
well red_carnage i think ur optimism is sweet but sadly i reckon there is undoubtedly a delay, and knowing how these things go, i reckon the "worst case scenario" of mon or tues (more than likely tues) will kick in.

coldblue
20th Nov 2003, 19:10
AUGHHH!!!!

There's a response from a designer on that thread, but I can't read it cause the blinkin' forum's on the fritz! Does anybody know what Krypt said???

PointlesS
20th Nov 2003, 19:10
where are these new creenshots? I've already seen the ones on that page...

Psychotext
20th Nov 2003, 19:19
Looks like there is a dev chat tonight, hopefully we'll find out more: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/events/chats/deusex_iniswar_11202003.shtml

Catman
20th Nov 2003, 19:49
Originally posted by coldblue
AUGHHH!!!!

There's a response from a designer on that thread, but I can't read it cause the blinkin' forum's on the fritz! Does anybody know what Krypt said??? According to a post on PlanetDeusEx, Krypt said:

I haven't heard of any such gremlin-related setback. Don't get too discouraged.
Let's hope he's in the loop. :)

Darkhelm
20th Nov 2003, 20:03
I guess I'm gonna get Star Wars: KOTOR today, after all. :rolleyes:

Halbermensch
20th Nov 2003, 20:13
Catman, could anyone of the devs write something on why it has been delayd, I think many wants to know.

Krypt has responded over at Ionstorms forum, but the forum just keeps on getting timeout, so it's impossible to read.

I really, really hope they release the demo tomorrow.

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 20:18
Grey Mouser will post something later today if all goes well.
i CAN say, it's safe to say the demo is delayed.
Sorry guys for spoiling this,but it's better to know than remain glued to your screen for the rest of the day.
As you all will be,i'm keeping an eye out on this development and pray to several gods for a fast release.

Volition
20th Nov 2003, 20:23
Does praying to multiple gods exponentially increase the chances? If not, I'm just going to pray to the Snapple lady.

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 20:33
Pray to anything you'd like,ranging from the UBERgod to a nice poster of a naked babe.
We all should pitch in on the worshipping for a early release.

PS : I got dibs on the babe ;)

cball05
20th Nov 2003, 20:43
Talking to a spokesperson from the publisher earlier today, we were informed that a "problem" has been discovered with the demo.

The way I see it, this has too meanings which are much more important than the demo release:
1) DXIW has so many paths that even the devs created situations that they hadn't expected, which is awesome.
2) BUT clearly this complexity is causing problems already. I wouldn't be surprised if there are several bugs in the game itself as well. Whether or not this will delay the release date is yet to be seen.

PointlesS
20th Nov 2003, 20:56
will this bug have an effect on the release date of the final game? if it was going to be released on the 3rd it should've gone gold by now...

GuyBrush-Threepwood
20th Nov 2003, 20:59
Originally posted by Red_Carnage

PS : I got dibs on the babe ;)

dibs on sloppy seconds

Minnow11uk
20th Nov 2003, 21:02
lol

Well I don't think you could have said anything else that would have scared the **** out of people better. Congratulations hehe.

Seriously though, I doubt very much that Warren Spector and his team would have had a 'vision' for so long and after stating that they've got close to it after it's development, it turns out to have failed because the so called vision was too complicated. Now that would be embarrassing. I seriously doubt it. I'm sure if this was the case they would have discovered it ages ago.

Think positive! DX:IW will be in stores first thing tomorrow morning! Well ok maybe not that positive, but along those lines :)

C-Tzar
20th Nov 2003, 21:10
Originally posted by cball05
2) BUT clearly this complexity is causing problems already. I wouldn't be surprised if there are several bugs in the game itself as well. Whether or not this will delay the release date is yet to be seen.

That's not always the end of the world. It can be fun to find ways of exploiting a bug. I mean, c'mon, who here hasn't at least cracked a smile at being able to take the subway train to the roof of a hotel? :D

bcc
20th Nov 2003, 21:24
It's a problem with fileplanet's protection software, not with the demo itself. We should have the demo now if not for Eidos making a deal with the devil.

Voodoo Extreme (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/441/441316p1.html)

Update: Worthplaying comes home with the prize for discovering what has happened. Official word is that the Ez Pad (or similar) software has caused the technical problem described in the C&VG story. Ez Pad is used to make sure that other sites can't mirror their version of a demo as an account is needed with FilePlanet to activate and unlock the demo. So, everyone can now blame FilePlanet and their policy, for delaying this eagerly anticipated demo.

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1973)

rumour has it that the demo release is delayed for a day or until early next week ..

reason?

the implmentation of Gamespy's ezpad protection scheme is causing problems

Oh the irony....

OrioTecc
20th Nov 2003, 21:32
*intensive cursing*

geamespy: **** OFF AND LET US HAVE OUR DEMO!!!

ThorsHamburger
20th Nov 2003, 21:33
Well the Contract Jack demo ,I beleive was first a FP exclusive, but it was for everyone and they had fast servers. So it could be an FP exclusive but in the end everyone even non-payers may be able to get it.

ThorsHamburger
20th Nov 2003, 21:36
Originally posted by OrioTecc
*intensive cursing*

geamespy: **** OFF AND LET US HAVE OUR DEMO!!!

Dont just blame gamespy, the publishers of DX: IW could just as easily say no to exclusive. :Like most publishers do. This exclusive thing seems to be becoming a trend that hopefully we can eliminate by banding together. I have no problem paying for a faster DL speed, im a gamespot member myself, but this whole exclusives thing is BS.

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 21:39
WHEN i have the demo,i'll be uploading it onto my server and you'll find it at www.De2Files.com
Till then,i'm just hoping it get's released to the "public" soon,where "public" is the average gamer without a gayspy account

OrioTecc
20th Nov 2003, 21:41
yeah, i agree, but its gamespys fault NOONE can dl it...but sure, it shoulda been announced other places aswell

OrioTecc
20th Nov 2003, 21:43
Originally posted by Red_Carnage
WHEN i have the demo,i'll be uploading it onto my server and you'll find it at www.De2Files.com
Till then,i'm just hoping it get's released to the "public" soon,where "public" is the average gamer without a gayspy account

thats really kind of u :D :D

kudos

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 21:46
No Prob man...i know what you're going through without the demo...same here...
Keep an eye out on the site,we'll do the best we can :)
And nice to see you've registered OrioTecc :)
It's FREE,unlike SOME sites ;)

Volition
20th Nov 2003, 21:53
Chris Carollo from IonStorm said on the IonStorm forums that they think the problem has been addressed.

OrioTecc
20th Nov 2003, 21:54
allready bookmarked hehe

bcc
20th Nov 2003, 22:00
Krypt, one of the developers at Ion Storm, confirms that the Fileplanet protection software was the problem, but it's been addressed and will still be released today. I assume, though, that it'll still be exclusive to Fileplanet; hope there'll be a torrent workaround up somewhere.

Krypt:

Yeah, I heard that there was a small problem with the fileplanet stuff after I made that post. The issue was resolved pretty quickly apparantly, and the plan is still to release it today.

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?page=2&pagesize=20&forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=33763

Tbone
20th Nov 2003, 22:04
Krypt (IS dev) originally wrote:
Yeah, I heard that there was a small problem with the fileplanet stuff after I made that post. The issue was resolved pretty quickly apparantly, and the plan is still to release it today.

Chris Carollo (IS mod, and also a dev, I think) originally wrote:
There was a problem with the demo, and we think it's been addressed. It had nothing to do with FilePlanet.

Ok, not entirely clear on whether it had something to do with Fileplanet/Gamespy or not. Krypt heard that it did, Chris says that it didn't. But in either case, it sounds like it was a minor problem and that we're still on for today (hopefully).

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 22:04
So basicly we're still screwed...apart from the "happy" few that have a fileplanet subscription.
Great news....really...

B@ST@RDS

Freddo
20th Nov 2003, 22:05
Originally posted by ThorsHamburger
Well the Contract Jack demo ,I beleive was first a FP exclusiveI don't know what the first FP exclusive game was, but Freelancer was FP exclusive for a week (or something like that) a few weeks before the game was released.

I don't really blame FP for this, tho. It's Eidos I put the most of the blame on. It's all about $$$.

FP: Eidos, we give you $$$ to let us have the DX:IW demo exclusive for awhile, ok?
Eidos: Ok!

Eidos should have said something like "No, we want all our fans to have the chance to play it at the same time" instead. But they didn't.

Well, that's how I see it anyway. Not that it matters, since in the end it's "only" a demo for a game. I don't need the demo now to live. But it sure would have been nice, since this is the only interesting gamerelease this year besides Gothic2.

Esquire
20th Nov 2003, 22:10
no matter when it's released on the internet, i've still got to wait until the demo is released on CDrom because i'm a lowly modem user.

Tbone
20th Nov 2003, 22:12
In response to someone calling him a liar...

Chris Carollo originally wrote:
Please. I'm the lead programmer, I know exactly what the problem is, I know exactly how it got fixed.

The problem was with the demo itself. Not Eidos, NOT FILEPLANET. So we fixed the problem today, and if all goes well in testing, I think it'll still go out today.

followed by:

Krypt originally wrote:
I don't know exactly what the issue was, but from what I heard it was with the thing fileplanet uses to prevent mirroring. Maybe it wasn't. I'm not involved with the whole demo process, so I'm getting my info secondhand. Sorry if that is misinformation.

Either way, the demo is still on track to be released today.

So there we have it.

PointlesS
20th Nov 2003, 22:14
Originally posted by ThorsHamburger
Well the Contract Jack demo ,I beleive was first a FP exclusive, but it was for everyone and they had fast servers. So it could be an FP exclusive but in the end everyone even non-payers may be able to get it.
why they would make such a peice of garbage a fileplanet exclusive is beyond me...if anything that game would deter me from getting a fp account...

DarkForge
20th Nov 2003, 22:16
This news - whatever the final consequence - is unfortunate. But I have to say that I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that something came up at the last minute. I guess I kind of saw it coming, or is it just me?

In any case, this demo will be one of my most highly-anticipated demos of all time. I may have to wait, but I am confident that the wait will be worth it. :)

Volition
20th Nov 2003, 22:19
Originally posted by DarkForge
This news - whatever the final consequence - is unfortunate. But I have to say that I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that something came up at the last minute. I guess I kind of saw it coming, or is it just me?

In any case, this demo will be one of my most highly-anticipated demos of all time. I may have to wait, but I am confident that the wait will be worth it. :)

You'll have to wait.. GULP.. a few more hours

Sylvester Ink
20th Nov 2003, 22:49
Arg! I want that demo to be delayed until after the game is released! I REFUSE to play it. And if it's released now, I will be tempted to play it. I'll lose my bet with the guys on the other demo thread!!!

Well, I was going to leave the forums soon anyway, just to avoid spoilers, opinionated reviews, etc, so when the demo is released, I guess I will leave. I'll kinda miss it all, even SK Denton and all the other dx-bashers, but I'll probably return after beating DXIW a couple of times through. So so long in advance! It's been fun!

Red_Carnage
20th Nov 2003, 23:59
I'm SOOO retracting every word right now....sorry people...guess Eidos got their groove on after all.
well...i'm not retracting ALL words...still hate gamespy though...
I'll try to get that demo up on de2files.com ASAP

Viking
21st Nov 2003, 04:37
Arg! I want that demo to be delayed until after the game is released! I REFUSE to play it. And if it's released now, I will be tempted to play it. I'll lose my bet with the guys on the other demo thread!!!

Well then, don't play it. Besides, how would they know?

[EDIT] PS:

You'll have to wait.. GULP.. a few more hours

Wow, great prediction dip****. No demo after all, huh?