PDA

View Full Version : why i hate skill points.

super...
20th Nov 2003, 07:27
You herd me right I hate the little guy’s every last dang one of those things can go to hell. In my never ceasing quest to inform random people about how i feel about a stupid not important video game I will once again cause controversy.
What do skill points do to a real time action style game (ie. not turn based)
They either have one of two effects.
Hindering a players natural ability to move and aim efficiently or
Taking over some of the direct ability control to aim and move. there are truly not to many ways around doing one of the two in an action style game.

nimbus
20th Nov 2003, 08:13
Alright, I'll bite...

A) I certainly don't mind that there's not skill points in this game. But not for the reason you said.

B) You ever shot a gun? It's difficult at first, your shots go all over the place, but as you gain SKILL, you can start firing tighter groups. DX1 reflected that, in a clunky sort of way.

C) The reason I think I'll have more fun not worrying about skill points is that in DX1, I was really pissed off that I couldn't train weapon-by-weapon instead of grouping it like they did. I loved the crossbow, hated the pistol (nothing against anybody, just personal taste); loved shotgun and sniper rifle, hated assault rifle; loved the flamethrower (boy did I LOVE that flamethrower :)), hated the GEP gun. So no matter what I chose for a weapon, I'd always be missing out on at least one weapon I really wanted, while carrying around some that I disliked because they were better for me in the skill system.

That's why I glad there's not skill points. But it would still be nice to be able to customize it individually, I really did like the sense of not being really steady when I first started the game.

El Padrino
20th Nov 2003, 08:29
Considering Denton was supposed to a highly trained, nano-augmented super agent out of the academy, I found it really odd that he was barely proficient with a pistol at the beginning of the game.

Volition
20th Nov 2003, 08:34
Leave the guy alone. He was sea-sick from the boat-ride... He couldn't fire straight for the first......7 hours of the game.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
20th Nov 2003, 10:06
well, as far as I was concerned, even at the end of the game, he still couldn't use his gun
(main reason being that I gave it to gunther at the beginning, and never bothered to find another)

Woggy
20th Nov 2003, 10:31
I still would have liked it if your skill rised when you used the weapon. Not like everquest or anything, just slowly.
Every aimed shot gives you a tiny bit of an accuracy bonus for that particular weapon. So if you used the pistol alot, by the end of the game you would have become a master of the pistol. This lets you get better at individual weapons ( I dont see why knowing how to shoot a GEP Gun gives you skill in using a plasma rifle) without the skills interface, but with the skills still there, just hidden.

Sci
20th Nov 2003, 15:12
The problem I see with that is if you decide to take the pacifist route. If you never shoot anyone unless you have to, then run up against a boss, he's gonna be level 50 and you will be level retarded. Perhaps the different organizations should have shooting ranges for their students to improve their skills :) That would be awesome.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
20th Nov 2003, 16:22
Originally posted by Sci
The problem I see with that is if you decide to take the pacifist route. If you never shoot anyone unless you have to, then run up against a boss, he's gonna be level 50 and you will be level retarded.

well, like in real life :

if I choose not to use weapons with my character, he shouldn't be able to snipe with his pistol. that would be illogical.

If I choose to play sneaking, then I will have to either sneak paast the boss, or trap him.

if the game doesn't allow that, it's like saying " do what you want, but you MUST be level 4 in guns at this point".

the managed not to do this in the first one, so there would be no reason such a situation would happen in DX:IW

Pdizzle
20th Nov 2003, 21:05
What I didn't like was how opening a locked door would somehow make you better with pistols (or whatever skill you choose) just because of the "exploration bonus". Honestly, I am withholding judgement on DX:IWs system until I have played the game, but right now it doesn't sound bad.

forgotten
20th Nov 2003, 23:25
i liked the skill points system, it was that that really made me explore every single area of the game, i loved making the decision of what to upgrade or not... but thats just me...

F3nyx
20th Nov 2003, 23:44
What I didn't like was how opening a locked door would somehow make you better with pistols (or whatever skill you choose) just because of the "exploration bonus".Yeah, I'm with you there.

i liked the skill points system, it was that that really made me explore every single area of the game, i loved making the decision of what to upgrade or not...I think the idea is that you'll be exploring to find biomods, and I believe you have a good deal of choice concerning which biomod to infuse...

Sylvester Ink
20th Nov 2003, 23:48
Originally posted by Pdizzle
What I didn't like was how opening a locked door would somehow make you better with pistols (or whatever skill you choose) just because of the "exploration bonus". Honestly, I am withholding judgement on DX:IWs system until I have played the game, but right now it doesn't sound bad.

Would you rather gain experience from every kill you make? (A common disease in most rpgs.) Also, the problem with improving with a skill as you use it is the same as it was in Morrowind. You would just run around using it until you were the master . . . on the first level in the game!

No, I think skill points were handled well in DX1. The idea of getting the skill points at certain places/events in the game was that it was a culmination of the experience you took to get there, whether it was from kapping some poor mofo, or sneaking through a forest of giant robots with rocket launchers.

But the way they do it in DXIW looks good. It will be a fresh, new approach. After all, we don't want DXIW to be DX with better graphics, do we? Change is good.

forgotten
21st Nov 2003, 00:09
Originally posted by Sylvester Ink

But the way they do it in DXIW looks good. It will be a fresh, new approach. After all, we don't want DXIW to be DX with better graphics, do we? Change is good.

Agreed.