PDA

View Full Version : New Preview at 1up

MaxxQ
19th Nov 2003, 14:31
http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1388819,00.asp

Enjoy...

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
19th Nov 2003, 15:00
Fiddling around with the contents of your glorified purse not withstanding, it's still the same walk around, skulk around, talk to people, and solve problems game that made the original so damn neat.

I love that

(and pretty much everything else in that preview, by the way)

AlteredGlyph
19th Nov 2003, 16:39
Yay! There are still problems with the inventory. That should make all the whiners who liked tetris happy.

James Warren
19th Nov 2003, 19:08
". . .the nightclub owner will recognize that I have killed the lawyers infesting a nearby hotel before he even asked me to off them (a very amusing conversation, in fact) . . ."

You can kill lawyers! Ha! HA! I'll take the GEP gun Paul!!

Catman
19th Nov 2003, 19:18
Shades of the Bard!

http://catmanofiowa.com/cps/mrbunny/bunny.gif

SK Denton
19th Nov 2003, 19:29
Now let's hear the important info from the preview:

you'll start to wonder why deeper, more PC platform specific interface considerations weren't implemented.

Some of us have already been wondering that while enduring many flames...

the very important freak up there won't seem to mind that I've "energy sworded" every person at the bar to death, including his comrade the proprietor. Upset that he's not upset, I'll kill the freaky frogman. Even though just seconds ago he offered to sell me bio-mods and weapons, his corpse drops nothing of value. It's a touch of frustration

It seems like the poor AI fears are becoming reality...

If facial animations were better and the game managed to run at a steady framerate on my GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, I'd wager this to be one of the prettiest titles seen in some time.

Self explanitory...

Catman
19th Nov 2003, 19:41
Selective quoting to support a point contrary to the intent of the original -- hardly a sign of intellectual honesty.

Let's cut to the bottom line of the article:

So? Will it be worth your wait? Yes, I certainly believe so. I think performance will be an issue with a lot of people, but the gameplay in this RPG is exactly what you might expect. I'll be back with a review sometime around launch (early December).

SK, it's one thing to express an opinion. It's quite another to distort facts to support your own agenda.

If you continue with the latter, you will be asked to leave.

Geist
19th Nov 2003, 19:42
Don't know if you guys went through that site but there is another preview from 1 UP

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1270443,00.asp,

There might be spoilers, depending on your defenition.

Also I think its damn funny all the possibilities they list.

~Geist

Pequachino
19th Nov 2003, 21:00
If facial animations were better and the game managed to run at a steady framerate on my GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, I'd wager this to be one of the prettiest titles seen in some time.

um isnt that the most powerful nvidia card? and wasnt this game designed for nvidia cards?? am i missing something...

ThorsHamburger
19th Nov 2003, 21:08
Originally posted by Pequachino

um isnt that the most powerful nvidia card? and wasnt this game designed for nvidia cards??

Optimized for Nvidia just means that since Nvidia made such a stupid hardware design decision, developers have to spend extra time to code games for Nvidia cards in order for them to play as well as Ati cards. The rest is just shameless, dishonest marketing BS to get you to buy an inferior card.

Mehrunes
19th Nov 2003, 21:50
Originally posted by Pequachino
um isnt that the most powerful nvidia card?

Yes.

and wasnt this game designed for nvidia cards??

No, it's designed for everyone's cards. Nvidia just bought advertising space.

Mehrunes
19th Nov 2003, 21:56
Originally posted by ThorsHamburger
Sounds like IW will be a bit of a hog. Is ths going to be another Halo...a game that looks worse than others but because its was designed for Xbox it runs like crap on PC??

Halo looks a lot better than anything else I've seen recently. DX:IW uses full real-time lighting and a complicated physics system. Not surprisingly, all of this as well as the bump-mapping, environment mapping, mirrored surfaces etc. comes with a price.

coldblue
19th Nov 2003, 21:59
Originally posted by SK Denton

There's a difference between AI that just stands their when you shoot it and AI that doesn't know that you've killed all its buddies in another room, which is what he's talking about AFAIK.

I think this discussion has been had before. The latter kind of AI is hard to do because you'd have to code it specifically for every AI actor in the game (does Paul care about the street bum? how about the lawyer? well he get mad if I kill one but not the other?). I won't deny it would be awesome if DXIW had it, but its not realistic to expect that.

PointlesS
19th Nov 2003, 22:11
he never said what settings it was running at...was it 1024x768 in max details? was he running aa or af? how much ram does he have? processor speed? if he's running in 1024x7678 (or higher) with 4x fsaa and 8x af then yeah it's going to be a bit choppy...

lyra
19th Nov 2003, 22:15
SK, it's one thing to express an opinion. It's quite another to distort facts to support your own agenda.

i thought people were free to state their opinions here...i mean cmon all he did was quote and elaborate, nothing wrong with that

coldblue
19th Nov 2003, 22:22
Yeah, but he's saying that SK quotes only the bad parts of the article out of context to prove his point, when in fact the article is very positive about the game.

Sherv
19th Nov 2003, 23:56
Originally posted by Catman
Selective quoting to support a point contrary to the intent of the original -- hardly a sign of intellectual honesty.

What has SK done to distort the "facts"? The article is an opinion based on the reviewer's experience from playing the game...all SK did was to highlight points that he felt were valid and important to his enjoyment of DX:IW.

lyra
19th Nov 2003, 23:59
oh okay got what u meant coldblue. sorry about that post catman.

reviews seem to be really positive about this game...that really pleases me

SATCOM
20th Nov 2003, 00:01
To stop the flame war...

http://www.hecares4u.com/smiley/ice.gif

Now to the preview...

...and a glorified elevator (it's a really big elevator).

cool!

(since ventilation shafts are pretty much freaking everywhere)

That does not sound like a mindless shooter. Not to start a flamewar...

SK Denton
20th Nov 2003, 00:06
Originally posted by Catman

You are not the first mod to single me out and threaten me because you disagree with my opinion. You accusation is completely baseless and clearly full of bias. I in no way distorted anything. Why would I since the full preview is there for everyone to read? Not to mention I don't have to. I did not take anything out of context and I did not manufacture those quotes.

I did exactly what the second post on this thread did, which was to take a part of the interview and comment on it, so don't even go there. :rolleyes:

crimson_stallion
20th Nov 2003, 01:14
You are not the first mod to single me out and threaten me because you disagree with my opinion. You accusation is completely baseless and clearly full of bias. I in no way distorted anything. Why would I since the full preview is there for everyone to read? Not to mention I don't have to. I did not take anything out of context and I did not manufacture those quotes.

I did exactly what the second post on this thread did, which was to take a part of the interview and comment on it, so don't even go there. :rolleyes:

I think what catman is trying to say, is that you are potentially misleading people.

Rather then taking a few things (good and bad) from the review and commenting equally, you are using some of the quite scarce negative comments, and quoting them, and by doing it using the credibility of the reviewer to put try to mislead the other readers who have not yet read the preview.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm just saying that i think this is what he is trying to say.

To be fair, this WAS the effect that the post had on me also, because i saw three quite negative comments,singled out from a reliable source who had PLAYED the game, and immediately it made me think "looks like they meesed it up bad". I'm guessing catman thinks alot of others will be given this same impression. Although I probably would reat the preview anyway, the quotes immediately put me in a 'uh oh, they messed it up" frame of mind.

When you see a whole bunch of quite negative quotes, and no positive ones, it makes your mind biased towards thnking negatively of the topic/game.

Sooo, in part i see catmans point, in another way, you dididnt really say "looks at these quotes, they said the game sux" so i dont know. I think hes not so much concerned about that post, but moreso concerned because I think you seem to do that quite frequently.

crimson_stallion
20th Nov 2003, 01:29
Ahh, I now have read the preview and uncerstant catmans point.

90% of the article was positive, its not really fair to take three VERY SMALL quotes (each maybe 1% of the article) out of the article, single them out, and use them to suggest the game is bad (although you didnt say it, you DID suggest it).

An example.

You said:

They said:
[QUOTE]Deus Ex still features some truly amazing graphics. Just about everything in the world seems to be meticulously detailed or bump-mapped or at the very least powered by Havok physics. This means that it's possible to throw a giant bump-mapped box down a flight of stairs, watch its shadows change depending on the nearby light source, and then see it slam into an enemy and perhaps knock him over, assuming your strength augmentation is up to spec. Pretty neat stuff. If facial animations were better and the game managed to run at a steady framerate on my GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, I'd wager this to be one of the prettiest titles seen in some time.

This is like the equivalent of taking a quote from a review of a brand new BMW M3, and writing:

"The car has some bad ergonomics, the iDrive system is exceedingly complicated, and distracts from driving"
Guess the car is a complete failure..
while neglecting to mention the increadible perfrormance, comfort, handling, styling, and the 4.5/5 star rating.

tas42
20th Nov 2003, 01:33
Now let's hear the important info from the preview:

Some of us have already been wondering that while enduring many flames...

Self explanitory...

its seems quite obvious that IW just isn't a game your going to like, for whatever reasons. so why do you waste your time *****ing about it on a message board? don't you have better things to do than try to piss off the people who like what they've heard about it so far? I mean, come on, its going to ship it 2 weeks and there arn't going to be any changes, especialy not to placate a small but very loud group of people who can't get past the first game.

crimson_stallion
20th Nov 2003, 02:42
That's true.

By the way, no offence intended to you SK Denton. Theres nothing wrong with making a voice heard while a game is in development, because there is always the chance that the developers will take notice and make some slight subtle changes, but the game has gone gold, it's release is imminent, and it's unlikely that any changes will be made (unless ion storm hold it back and turn it into a DukeNukem Forever title).

We all have criticisms of things, sure nothing is perfect, but you just seem dead set intent on getting every last complaint about it you can.

The game is going to be out soon, the demo is officially within a day of release, so how about we wait a day or 2 (or a week in the case of the xbox demo release) and see for ourselves?

Then we will KNOW if these things are shortfalls, or just POTENTIAL shortfalls.

st0neface
20th Nov 2003, 04:52
You know what, the guy was just stating his opinion, if that post convinces anyone not to buy it, then you either didn't want the game too badly anyways, or you can't think for yourself. In my opinion, you people can be very high-strung, and overreact way too often.

Velax
20th Nov 2003, 04:58
Does it really matter if he's only posting "negative quotes" from the article? Who's going to read them? Just the people here. And if you're that much into the game that you've taken the time to read and post on a DX2 Forum, surely you're going to buy the game no matter what anyone else says.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
20th Nov 2003, 09:32

no

I didn't quoite 1 phrase and say "look, this means this will be the greatest game of all time"

I just said "I love this particular quote"

crimson_stallion
20th Nov 2003, 13:08
Either way, whats in the past is in the past, it's all good.

The preview was good reading, thanks to the person who posted the link (sorry I cant remember who it was).