PDA

View Full Version : FF VII platinum vs. regular

tundra
17th Nov 2003, 14:55
I've recently been introduced by a friend to some classic RPG games and am now just starting to buy some. Checking ebay and other sites, I've noticed two versions of Final Fantasy 7, a regular edition and a platinum edition. Does anyone know what the differences were between these two? Thanks.

Tundra

Threesixty
17th Nov 2003, 16:43
....On one, the disks are labeled correctly. The other is labeled incorrectly (platinum). One has patches on the install disk (platinum), the other doesn't. Basicly one is the original, and the other is the Greatest Hit's version (platinum).

I would suggest ignoring both PC versions...and getting a playstation, instead. Then look for a game called Valkyrie Profile....as well as all the FF titles, Xenogears, Vagrant Story and Lunar I & 2.

BTW: Square is bringing back a few older titles as Greatest Hits.....
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2003/110503b.html

Which means instead of buying preowned copies at 50 dollars...you'll get new copies for less than 20.

tundra
17th Nov 2003, 17:01
When you say that one is like the "greatest hits" version, are you implying that some "material" has been left out from the original version or that some new material has been added? Thanks.

Tundra

Threesixty
17th Nov 2003, 19:04
...by greatest hits, I meant it was 19.99 when it was released, in a shiny new box.

Nothing was added. Except for the inclusion of the TNTpatch buried in the install disk. The same file that you can download off the web. At least that's what I've been told....I have the original version.)

....they just mislabeled the disks.
So when it asks you to insert disk 2...you really insert Disk 3.

The originals were labeled
Install Disk
Disk 1
Disk 2
Disk 3

The Platinum:
Disk1
Disk2
Disk3
Disk4.

It's the same game.