PDA

View Full Version : Steam key for square enix store buyers?

member_10239333
4th Jul 2013, 04:24
Are we going to get a Steam Key? or let us use our codes we got when we bought it here to activate it on steam.

I got the game from here because it said it was going to be an exclusive and wanted to support my favorite square game, I have the PC version discs (they are useless) then I bought the PSN version.

Later the re-release with improvements was released and I got it but there were a lot of problems with the Cloud saves and it has a limit of activations. Now the game is on steam and all those support problems you have on that FINAL FANTASY VII PC Technical Issues and Support Forum can get fixed by giving us loyal buyers a steam key.

So, any word on this Square? I´ve asked this earlier and got no response but the Steam version is out now and I wanna know if you are going to give us that version to fix the problems or let us here with another unplayable version of FF7 on PC?

member_10658815
4th Jul 2013, 04:27
Just a suggestion, you may already have it planned. I noticed you just added FF7 to steam. It would be amazing and a great courtesy to allow previous purchasers of FF7 PC to redeem the serial keys on steam. I would also be further inclined to purchase FF8 if it were added later as well to steam if this is done. Thank you.

MageSlayer
4th Jul 2013, 04:47
Just a suggestion, you may already have it planned. I noticed you just added FF7 to steam. It would be amazing and a great courtesy to allow previous purchasers of FF7 PC to redeem the serial keys on steam. I would also be further inclined to purchase FF8 as well if it were added later as well to steam if this is done. Thank you.

A Steam code would be awesome! It's so much easier to manage my games through Steam. Always have to re-add my non-steam games after a few updates, gets annoying after a while.

DarthSidiousPT-266433
4th Jul 2013, 06:30
I got the game from here because it said it was going to be an exclusive(...)

Same with me, and i bought it on it's first day on SE store. As much as i love FF7, i won't pay "again" for having it on Steam /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cry.gif

It would be nice if SE could provide us with Steam keys (Indie devs do this all the time), but to be honest, i don't expect SE to do this /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-frown.gif

Thorgalkun
4th Jul 2013, 06:41
Im contacting Support Center to see if theres any possibility to be able to redeem our digital copy on Steam.
Also out of topic still having this issue with connecting my account via my ID and Password, it creates a new account, only way to get in my real one is from Facebook connect.
However I remember back then support couldnt fix it maybe by now its easy to fix?

jubaumzaum-316427
4th Jul 2013, 07:04
Man, i want my game on steam to! :|

BUNNYMOON
4th Jul 2013, 07:38
Please post results of any conversations with SE concerning this. I want steam achievements, thats what I assumed they originally were when I purchased the game. I bought this game when it first came out.

Any suggestions on who I should contact to voice my dissatisfaction and the fact I would like a steam version. Given the download link for the Digital river one expires in a year or so.......

Because right now. I feel kinda cheated, I hated getting forced using Digital river to purchase the game. This is probably not going to affect my purchases of Square enix games in the future, but it is going to affect my purchases directly from the Square Enix store if this is not addressed.

nesdick
4th Jul 2013, 07:43
Hi, i purchased FFVII from the square enix store over a year ago. with the recent release of FFVII on steam, I was wondering how to re-activate it through steam if that is even possible. I currently have it in steam as a non steam product seeing as how it won't let you add games to your library as steam products without the game key. Any information anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

member_10674777
4th Jul 2013, 08:33
I feel kinda cheated, I hated getting forced using Digital river to purchase the game. This is probably not going to affect my purchases of Square enix games in the future, but it is going to affect my purchases directly from the Square Enix store if this is not addressed.

Completly agree. I don't know how many times I've bought duplicates of Square games or even just FFVII alone. But I also bought this version the day it came out since it was not going to release anywhere else. It's a nice slap in the face when companys do these 180s.

MichaelJolly
4th Jul 2013, 08:55
I know they will take a hit financially for doing it, but they absolutely need to do this. Everyone who purchased Final Fantasy 7 through this service should be given a steam code for the trouble they had with the 30 day limit issue. I won't be touching the copy I bought here and if they don't grant Steam codes I'll only be getting it there when it hits 75% off. I seriously regret buying my copy here.

nesdick
4th Jul 2013, 09:14
i agree as well. they actually failed to award me points for my copy and i have been trying to address this with customer service for a while now, but they have been unhelpful as always!

bobjane
4th Jul 2013, 09:16
I'd also like to know whether Steam keys for FF7 will be issued for existing Square Enix online store purchases.

I own the original 1997 PC and PS1 versions as well has the pre-Steam online store version. I think I have paid for it enough times.

allisonaxe
4th Jul 2013, 09:25
my main problem with this is, the square enix store somehow doesn't think i exist anymore. ff7 is the only game i've bought from it, but now for whatever reason, my square enix account won't let me log in to the store. apparently they don't have my email address (that i just used to log in here) on file for the store section of the site, so I may not be able to retrieve it even if they do offer a steam key.

i hate this freaking website...

nesdick
4th Jul 2013, 10:04
Allison, i would suggest using the EU site and seeing if that works. i found that my copy of the game somehow made an EU account for me and linked the game to both my NA and EU account. similar issue to the tomb raider and hitman absolution only linking to the EU site.

BUNNYMOON
4th Jul 2013, 10:17
I feel kinda cheated, I hated getting forced using Digital river to purchase the game. This is probably not going to affect my purchases of Square enix games in the future, but it is going to affect my purchases directly from the Square Enix store if this is not addressed.

Completly agree. I don't know how many times I've bought duplicates of Square games or even just FFVII alone. But I also bought this version the day it came out since it was not going to release anywhere else. It's a nice slap in the face when companys do these 180s.

Thats not even the kick in the teeth. But the fact that its on gamersgate and greenmangaming and both of them are steam activatable.

If they can provide steam keys for FFVII to 3rd party digital distribution other than steam, how come were getting left out in the dark so to speak.

RADICAL_ZEAL
4th Jul 2013, 10:27
Hi,

I purchased my game just some days ago.

Order Date: 6/13/2013

Order Number: 17026049445

Can I have a STEAM KEY please?

Thanks.

SnowyRed-390024
4th Jul 2013, 10:53
Definitely do this Square.

RCthenomad
4th Jul 2013, 11:30
It would be fantastic to recive a steam key espically since if you bought it when it was first released and so happened to delete it from your computer It becomes impossible to reinstall because of the poorly thought out 30 day download period.

IndyAdvant
4th Jul 2013, 11:31
Absolutely ridiculous to not provide steam keys to the people that have already bought ff7 online. It is the exact same game. Many other game devs, for example, when buying a game of theirs on Desura. If the game later comes out on steam, if you contact the dev of the game they will gladly give you a steam key for it. Let alone communicate with you at all...

RADICAL_ZEAL
4th Jul 2013, 11:38
It is understandable than on the "physical items era" you had purchase the products more than 1 time, because it had additional costs, like the product box, the cartridge, CD, manual, etc.

Now we are on a "digital item era", and you can find for example in STEAM you can play games on different Operative Systems without additional costs. You are just buying the item no matter what.

I have already purchased Final Fantasy VII on:
- its old original PC version with physical products box, CDs and manual.
- its old original Play Station One version with physical CDs and manual.
- its new digital remastered version available on square-enix.com some few days ago

Now, I can say I have a digital version of the product, and STEAM is just that, a digital version that should have no additional costs.

Now that the digital version of the product has been added to STEAM, you should also provide the key of the item to be redeemed, or automatically add to the STEAM account to the ones that have already linked the STEAM account to the square-enix profile.

I bet an iOS version of the item will be also comming in the future, wich means another purchase.

So, how many times is it required to buy Final Fantasy VII, for you to consider you are abusing from your loyal customers?

Thanks.

francisswest
4th Jul 2013, 12:52
A really good question. I would like to know this as well.

MrOfdensen
4th Jul 2013, 13:30
I would like to recieve a key since I bought the game here, but as someone said before, I doubt they will be reasonable enough to do that.

MoonUNit
4th Jul 2013, 13:49
It would be nice, but I somehow doubt it'll happen.

GeR363
4th Jul 2013, 14:08
Square Enix... play nice.... i bought it cause you said it was exclusive and now is on Steam.... give Steam keys to everyone who bought the game... is better to have all your games in one platform... we all just want this

MrOfdensen
4th Jul 2013, 14:12
Square Enix... play nice.... i bought it cause you said it was exclusive and now is on Steam.... give Steam keys to everyone who bought the game... is better to have all your games in one platform... we all just want this

This sums up how I feel.

Coloumb-126580
4th Jul 2013, 14:43
Please post results of any conversations with SE concerning this. I want steam achievements, thats what I assumed they originally were when I purchased the game. I bought this game when it first came out.

Any suggestions on who I should contact to voice my dissatisfaction and the fact I would like a steam version. Given the download link for the Digital river one expires in a year or so.......

Because right now. I feel kinda cheated, I hated getting forced using Digital river to purchase the game. This is probably not going to affect my purchases of Square enix games in the future, but it is going to affect my purchases directly from the Square Enix store if this is not addressed.

I completely agree, Digital River is a horrid company. My download link expired months ago. Too bad my hard drive crashed and I lost my installer. It would be wonderful if Square would do the right thing and give Steam keys so I could actually download a game I paid to own.

gotyaoi
4th Jul 2013, 15:13
I'm in pretty much the same boat. Being able to download the game I paid for again would be... nice, to say the least.

Xialoh
4th Jul 2013, 15:18
Would also like to know this. Saw it on Steam and was blown away >_>. This is doubly unfortunate since I didn't realize the game had expired here so quickly. Fortunately I do have a backup of the game still on my harddrive for the moment.

m45t3r
4th Jul 2013, 18:50
This would be great. I didn't even play the copy I bought from Final Fantasy VII because it would never login (I created an account on Square-Enix NA, EU and Facebook, none of them worked), so I just waste money on this. If I can activate it on Steam without the unecessary Square-Enix account I would be grateful, so I can finally play the game I bought.

MichaelJolly
4th Jul 2013, 18:57
The simple fact is that we purchased a product and are unable to use it. I wasn't told before purchase I'd have 30 days to download, and if I was, it was sure hidden away somewhere because it came as a shock to me and so many others. They said they were looking into a solution to grant us the ability to download our game whenever. Well, here it is. Steam provides that oppurtunity. So void our purchases from here and grant us Steam keys. Problem solved, no more ticked off fans. Refuse, and I along with many others simply won't do business here again.

Grimoire
4th Jul 2013, 19:04
[Final Fantasy VII launches on Steam!]
eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy... (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-vii-launches-steam)

[Phil Elliott] - 04/07/2013 14:16
[Hi folks, I've passed on your messages regarding Steam keys, but unfortunately it's not possible to give out keys to those who have already bought another version of the game. I understand that's not ideal for folks wanting to use Steam to launch the Square Enix Store version, so sorry about that.]

Grimoire
4th Jul 2013, 19:17
eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy... (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-vii-launches-steam)

[Hi folks, I've passed on your messages regarding Steam keys, but unfortunately it's not possible to give out keys to those who have already bought another version of the game. I understand that's not ideal for folks wanting to use Steam to launch the Square Enix Store version, so sorry about that.]

Grimoire
4th Jul 2013, 19:26

beano369
4th Jul 2013, 20:31
Angry.. Exclusive my ass, I want a damn steam key. I never play the digital river version b/c the cloud save never seems to work for me. Square you need to fix this ASAP

RADICAL_ZEAL
4th Jul 2013, 20:49
That is just a copy/paste of a reply I had already read.

We are not asking for a STEAM KEY. We are demanding for our right to have it.

BUNNYMOON
4th Jul 2013, 20:55

So basically what it means is that Square enix tried to do what EA and Ubisoft did and make there own digital distribution service and used us as test subjects.

In the end it backfired and now Final Fantasy VII is for sale via steam and greenmangaming and gamersgate as a steam activated copy, and unless things change were holding the bag. My Download link through Ugh .... Digital river has expired. Would it hurt so much, to give us a steam copy or even charge us a small upgrade fee to get it on steam as well. I had a CD copy of Final Fantasy VII from eidos, it worked fine or even better than the cloud savegame one and was way less annoying . when they said it was coming out on PC again and there were achievments I bought it almost immediately only to find out they were facebook achievments, I went out of my way to buy it just for that. I guess it was my fault for actually believing in Square Enix, or not trying to get a refund after they screwed up my download, and the delayed cd key issue and gave me the game for the wrong region version, next time unless it's for sale on steam the likelyhood of me ever buying any game directly from the Square enix website, ANY game will be very unlikely, and will I take it as a mission to tell everybody my tale of despair and discourage purchases.

member_10213890
4th Jul 2013, 21:05
Listen here Square Enix, since I know there will be staff reading the comments on this thread. You have one chance to make this right to your loyal customers, the gamers that have supported you since day one. Do not even BEGIN to say that it is not possible; if a small team like Squad software can make this work for Kerbal Space Program, Square Enix can make this happen. If you DO NOT, I guarantee this will turn into a media fiasco for you, because you are simply unwilling to go the distance. As I have said, MANY developers make it possible to convert game A to Steam, many of them much smaller than you and many for a broader variety of platforms than your system. To not do so here is sheer laziness unless you can prove there is some technological or legal issue regarding the release of this key. You are betraying the customers who purchased your game FIRST for being loyal enough to purchase the game through your store; in what perverted world does this business logic make sense?

I purchased this game through your distribution system, I have a preorder for Final Fantasy 14, and I -own- just about every game you have produced in one form or another, most of which I purchased near launch or preordered. Either set this right, or do not expect to see another dime from me.

I would appreciate a direct response to this statement or I will escalate this issue appropriately via customer service channels.

redx2k-258283
4th Jul 2013, 21:31

Sick, can't give us the keys to steam? rly.... SE can talk with steam and give us loyal fans a key... afther all it's grim story your brewing up again SE with this steam release and ignoring the buyers right.

bobjane
4th Jul 2013, 21:35
Serious question - what's the point of "passing on the messages" if there's zero intention to do anything about it?

member_10730308
4th Jul 2013, 22:55
As the game was sold to me as a exclusive I have rights as a buyer to pursue refund if you cannot accomidate me with a steam key, anyone else who feels screwed report Sqaure Enix to the Better Business Bureau and hopefully someone starts a class action lawsuit I'm getting tired of these gaming company's thinking they can get away with screwing their customers over just because they made themselves a household name if we knew it was coming to steam we would have waited this is a scam and I am so glad you guys ruined the FF Franchise so I no longer have to support you crooks by buying your garbage games

**** you Enix

MarceloGFSouza
4th Jul 2013, 23:08
I agree. I bought a digital copy of the game, so I just want download and play the game through the Steam. I hate the authentication limit by Digital River.

beano369
4th Jul 2013, 23:10
As the game was sold to me as a exclusive I have rights as a buyer to pursue refund if you cannot accomidate me with a steam key, anyone else who feels screwed report Sqaure Enix to the Better Business Bureau and hopefully someone starts a class action lawsuit I'm getting tired of these gaming company's thinking they can get away with screwing their customers over just because they made themselves a household name if we knew it was coming to steam we would have waited this is a scam and I am so glad you guys ruined the FF Franchise so I no longer have to support you crooks by buying your garbage games

**** you Enix

Second

Xialoh
5th Jul 2013, 00:35

...How on earth is it not possible? I'm sure you have a database containing information regarding who purchased the game from the SE store. Generate digital keys. Send them to those buyers. At least call it what it is and say that it's unwillingness - not impossibility.

member_10388130
5th Jul 2013, 00:53
I acutally signed in specifically for this also. Was hoping they would offer a Steam key. Not sure why this wasn't done in the first place. Sucks that they offered us a 1 month window to download just to say "WELL THATS IT."

member_10658815
5th Jul 2013, 03:11
Hello again,

First off Gravity, no offence to you because I know this is what the suits wanted you to say. Thank you for the great copy and paste answer that's a blatant blanket PR lie. Steam has been around long enough to realize this is completely untrue. I.E.

1. Steam offers retail cd key activations (Tomb Raider and Last Remnant anyone?)

2. Many indie companies have released cdkeys out for their games after buying them from other services. (This is well documented, and I have also had this done for me with a copy of Miner Wars 2081 bought on Impulse, before they were bought out by Gamestop.)

So this now leads us to a couple of conclusions.

1. Square Enix is once again re-releasing a game for a quick cash grab from all its loyal supporters who want the extra convenience of steam.

(Which makes your company look like its going to keep milking it's products for as long as it can) Now let's get into this a bit. George Lucas, remember him? Now good ol' George has been milking the Star Wars franchise for what, say two decades at this point, where has that gotten him? The fans HATE him and he no longer wants anything to do with his creations. Do you really want Square Enix to end up like George?

2. You have a shady business agreement with Digital River, and are enjoying putting your huge loads of cash in each other pockets at the cost of your consumers. Digital River does not have the best online reputation (just do a google search for this). I.E. Trying to get people to buy a subscription for their service for a product they have already paid for. (I still can't get an answer from their support as to what my password is for their download, going on three days now, they obviously care about the consumer and their quality. ::sarcasm:: for those who can't read between the lines.)

3. Let's talk about EXCLUSIVES for a second. Now I distinctly remember the Square Enix store having a big graphics and advertisements when this was released specifically saying EXCLUSIVE to the Square Enix store. Unless Square Enix wants to make up a new meaning of the word exclusive, or wants to reneg their exclusivity with Playstation. This means only available from this distribution platform(aka Square Enix/Digital River downloader). This is further supported by the despised EA, as they love making exclusive to Origin games. Further proof of this exclusive terminology that was used are located at the following addresses:

www.addictasmo.com/2012/07/daily-dose-co... (http://www.addictasmo.com/2012/07/daily-dose-confirmed-ffvii-re-re.html)

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/04/... (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/04/final-fantasy-vii-pc)

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-05-sq... (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-05-square-enix-makes-new-final-fantasy-7-pc-release-official)

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantas... (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII)

and just in case you're lazy here is a link to one of the images that was on the Square Enix site prior to release 1.bp.blogspot.com/-H9njsuF-sK4/T_SLWZJPO... (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H9njsuF-sK4/T_SLWZJPOZI/AAAAAAAAAQk/rEa_3UaN4u4/s1600/Exclusive+square-enix+store.jpg)

I'm pretty sure releasing the game on Steam makes this no longer exclusive. Now you are drifting somewhere near the lines of false advertising. Another dangerous road. A good example of this is Bioware, remember they promised their customers something a couple months ago, and ended up getting one of the biggest backlashes in video game history (I absolutely will not purchase Mass Effect 4 just because of the way it was handled. They stuck their heads in the sand for a good three weeks before an army of angry games harrassed them to the point when they had admitted they had made a mistake. This even got to the FTC who agreed with the gamers in the situation. I am sitting here thinking, do I really want to file an FTC complaint about Square Enix for false advertising as well. I really think you need to reasses the way you handle this situation, in the meantime I will go back to playing NIS, Namco, and Atlas games and supporting their companies.) ( I suggest the "fans" here check out the AR Tonelico Series, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia or make sure to purchase Square Enix games used, this way your hard earned dollars are not put into Square Enix's coffers)

Extremely Dissatisfied Consumer,

Iokens

member_10240534
5th Jul 2013, 03:11
I'm in the same boat. I woulda bought it on steam first had it come there first. I had no other option. You know this is as simple as deactivating our keys from the SE store version and giving us steam keys like we should of had in the first place.

aitanabe
5th Jul 2013, 03:47
Square can't provide for their loyal customers? Not surprised, they haven't done so for years.

I was already pissed off at the fact that there was an EXPIRATION date on being able to download the installer for the game in the first place. Now you screw us again by not allowing us to have Steam keys? **** you, Square Enix. I lost faith in you guys years ago, but this is the nail in the coffin.

I will never buy another Square product again. Period. You guys have truly lost your way.

member_10658815
5th Jul 2013, 03:53
Thank you for the great copy and paste answer that's a blatant blanket PR lie. Steam has been around long enough to realize this is completely untrue. I.E.

1. Steam offers retail cd key activations (Tomb Raider and Last Remnant anyone?)

2. Many indie companies have released cdkeys out for their games after buying them from other services. (This is well documented, and I have also had this done for me with a copy of Miner Wars 2081 bought on Impulse, before they were bought out by Gamestop.)

So this now leads us to a couple of conclusions.

1. Square Enix is once again re-releasing a game for a quick cash grab from all its loyal supporters who want the extra convenience of steam.

(Which makes your company look like its going to keep milking it's products for as long as it can) Now let's get into this a bit. George Lucas, remember him? Now good ol' George has been milking the Star Wars franchise for what, say two decades at this point, where has that gotten him? The fans HATE him and he no longer wants anything to do with his creations. Do you really want Square Enix to end up like George?

2. You have a shady business agreement with Digital River, and are enjoying putting your huge loads of cash in each other pockets at the cost of your consumers. Digital River does not have the best online reputation (just do a google search for this). I.E. Trying to get people to buy a subscription for their service for a product they have already paid for. (I still can't get an answer from their support as to what my password is for their download, going on three days now, they obviously care about the consumer and their quality. ::sarcasm:: for those who can't read between the lines.)

3. Let's talk about EXCLUSIVES for a second. Now I distinctly remember the Square Enix store having a big graphics and advertisements when this was released specifically saying EXCLUSIVE to the Square Enix store. Unless Square Enix wants to make up a new meaning of the word exclusive, or wants to reneg their exclusivity with Playstation. This means only available from this distribution platform(aka Square Enix/Digital River downloader). This is further supported by the despised EA, as they love making exclusive to Origin games. Further proof of this exclusive terminology that was used are located at the following addresses:

www.addictasmo.com/2012/07/daily-dose-co... (http://www.addictasmo.com/2012/07/daily-dose-confirmed-ffvii-re-re.html)

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/04/... (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/04/final-fantasy-vii-pc)

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-05-sq... (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-05-square-enix-makes-new-final-fantasy-7-pc-release-official)

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantas... (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII)

and just in case you're lazy here is a link to one of the images that was on the Square Enix site prior to release 1.bp.blogspot.com/-H9njsuF-sK4/T_SLWZJPO... (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H9njsuF-sK4/T_SLWZJPOZI/AAAAAAAAAQk/rEa_3UaN4u4/s1600/Exclusive+square-enix+store.jpg)

I'm pretty sure releasing the game on Steam makes this no longer exclusive. Now you are drifting somewhere near the lines of false advertising. Another dangerous road. A good example of this is Bioware, remember they promised their customers something a couple months ago, and ended up getting one of the biggest backlashes in video game history (I absolutely will not purchase Mass Effect 4 just because of the way it was handled. They stuck their heads in the sand for a good three weeks before an army of angry games harrassed them to the point when they had admitted they had made a mistake. This even got to the FTC who agreed with the gamers in the situation. I am sitting here thinking, do I really want to file an FTC complaint about Square Enix for false advertising as well. I really think you need to reasses the way you handle this situation, in the meantime I will go back to playing NIS, Namco, and Atlas games and supporting their companies.) ( I suggest the "fans" here check out the AR Tonelico Series, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia or make sure to purchase Square Enix games used, this way your hard earned dollars are not put into Square Enix's coffers)

Extremely Dissatisfied Consumer,

Iokens

Elseer
5th Jul 2013, 03:54

I am Sorry but I just do not belive your statemnet is true. You see I've bought a humble bundle. Mnay of the games were not yet on Steam. Then as each game was broght to steam, the users of the Humble Bundle got keys to use thier gams n steam. So I know it's soemthing that is possible. Could you bring thisup to your Contacts in Square? As a consumer Im very angry I cant get a steam copy -- especially given how much of a headache Digtal river, various login, and drm isssues have been for me.

Grimoire
5th Jul 2013, 03:57
The information will be used for future reference.

Grimoire
5th Jul 2013, 05:34
A quick question: you don't believe the SEE Head of Community, or is it the MU you don't put your trust in?

dtpeleven-385291
5th Jul 2013, 05:41
This is ridiculous and completely unacceptable. If I dont get a Steam key emailed to me by SE, I'm never buying another product from them again. First they discontinue the points system after me saving up points for years (and getting NOTHING for it), now they're screwing me over with this? What a joke. Count me in for joining any crusade against SE... no wonder they're struggling... MAKE THINGS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Opetyr
5th Jul 2013, 06:20
Hopefully they will acknowledge this and other people that are complaining since it is not exclusive. Want this on my steam accound since it is 100 times easier to download and install than the third party they make us download our "exclusive" Final Fantasy 7.

Thorgalkun
5th Jul 2013, 06:57
I might be the only one to think its not that big of a deal but the limitation on the game download because of Digital River? I dont know I can access the download link with my order number from the mail I got by buying it, bought it last December.

Also it cost money to generate Steam Keys, its basically asking Steam to give out free keys and im sure there some rules to follow that could make SQEX have to pay for it.

My ticket has been told it would be answered in 2 days so If I got any news about any possibility il share but for now seems grim that wel get Steam keys.

nesdick
5th Jul 2013, 07:28

i saw this mass commented on several threads. i just find this simply unnaceptable considering the issues everyone has had with the game and the lack of customer support provided theirin. they also broke their word on exclusivity on their store, which is what they advertised, when they released the game on steam. essentially they tricked us into buying it through their incredibly dificult digital river service by lying and saying it would not be released anywhere else. if there was even the slightest posibility that they were going to release it via steam at a later date i would have absolutely waited! but this is not what happened, i as well as everyone else were lied too and told it would only be realeased via their store. i either want a refund or a steam key. lying to customers is the best way to loose them.

member_10213890
5th Jul 2013, 07:46
Lets be quite clear. There is no need for a lawsuit, you weren't 'damaged' by the claim of exclusivity, the best you'd get would be your money back, and I'm pretty sure there is no legal system that would let you take someone to court for $11.00.

The valid recourse is such. Start with customer service. You have to go through all reasonable official channels to get satisfaction, as any claim to the BBB is without warrant before this. A good company will respond to this and deal with this situation now.

Failing this, then the war begins. BBB in any country you happen to be in, as well as getting the story on Reddit, IGN and other Gamespot. Make a complaint to Valve itself and force Square Enix to accept responsibility for not providing the keys. Then put it on twitter, facebook, everything. We will be heard.

As it stands, I have a public livestream of my show in a little over 24 hours and an active twitter handle. If I have not received a satisfactory resolution or a 'we're working on it' (I'm not unreasonable, I know the infrastructure to do this will take longer than 24 hours) by that time, I will be forced to believe SquareEnix is simply making a cash grab by forcing its loyalest customers to buy the game again, and will begin taking the above mentioned action. I expect some form of response by 12:45 UTC on Saturday, July 6th, 2013. I mean this in no way as a threat, to be clear, SE has their recourses to take, and I as a customer have mine.

BUNNYMOON
5th Jul 2013, 08:39
I might be the only one to think its not that big of a deal but the limitation on the game download because of Digital River? I dont know I can access the download link with my order number from the mail I got by buying it, bought it last December.

Also it cost money to generate Steam Keys, its basically asking Steam to give out free keys and im sure there some rules to follow that could make SQEX have to pay for it.

My ticket has been told it would be answered in 2 days so If I got any news about any possibility il share but for now seems grim that wel get Steam keys.

If you bought it last december. then the link has expired, which means you cant download it again. If anything were to happen to your downloaded installer its gone.

unlike steam where it can be redownloaded again.

member_10213890
5th Jul 2013, 10:31
In anticipation. I have created a formal petition to Squares heads of public relations, Miss Emily Shoji (Assistant Director of Public Relations - Responsible for the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series), and Mr Reilly Brennan, Senior Director of Public Relations. You may find this petition here.

www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/square-en... (http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/square-enix-holdings-co-ltd-square-enix-ltd-provide-steam-keys-for-purchasers-of-ff7-pc-via-digital-river)

I will be providing updates on my 'Online' facebook page 'Eh+ Gamer' as they come available. Please share and spread this petition.

www.facebook.com/EhPlusGamer (https://www.facebook.com/EhPlusGamer)

member_10239333
5th Jul 2013, 12:33
Signed the petition, lets hope they reconsider. Ive bought FF7 enough times already and I cant access two of my PC versions (old 1998 discs and Square-Enix Store one).

Thorgalkun
5th Jul 2013, 12:45

If you bought it last december. then the link has expired, which means you cant download it again. If anything were to happen to your downloaded installer its gone.

Nope can still download it again via www.findmyorder.com with my email and last 5 digit of my CC, just did.

member_10658815
5th Jul 2013, 14:38
any idea why mine routes me to tera.enmasse.com/maintenance? (http://tera.enmasse.com/maintenance)

and when i ask for a password reset to the download it says:
The password you requested is: PASSWORD_BASED_ON_ORDER
</password_based_on_order></password_based_on_order>

member_10730308
5th Jul 2013, 15:14
Signed.

dtpeleven-385291
5th Jul 2013, 15:20
Signed.

Same

Thorgalkun
5th Jul 2013, 15:39
any idea why mine routes me to tera.enmasse.com/maintenance? (http://tera.enmasse.com/maintenance)

No idea why it routes you to Tera website.

As for password theres none, you basically have to contact Digital River customer service to get one. Or the easiest way to get to your order is with your email and last 5 digit of CC used to buy it.

member_10240534
5th Jul 2013, 16:18
The password is your SE account password. Or.. at least it should be. I had a problem similar to this. Turned out I had two accounts under the same name with multiple passwords. It was odd.

But yes. I signed the petition.

barbe_brune
5th Jul 2013, 17:08
Come on Square-Enix. We deserve it, the serial for the SE store version should work for the steam version!

And on top of that, I bought the game on release, and cant download it again because of your damn 30 day thing.... Great way to tell you like your costumers..

ZakMckracken
5th Jul 2013, 18:15

It most certainly is "possible," it's just that Square isn't wanting to do it. They'd rather try to get people to buy the game AGAIN on Steam. It can be done, and has been done with several other games. I recently got Steam keys for Ticket to Ride after its release on Steam, because I'd purchased it on their site last year. I've also gotten Steam keys for The Banner Saga after purchasing their game through Kickstarter. I also will have keys coming for Planetary Annihilation, Dead Linger, etc.

I've already purchased FF VII enough times. I bought the original PSX game. I had the original PC discs (given to me as a birthday present). I bought the digital version on my PS3, then again on PC through SE's store. The 30-day limit on downloads is absolute crap, and only serves to disrespect your paying customers. At least if you give Steam keys, you won't have to worry about creating a work-around for the 30-day limit you (& Digital River) had instituted. Steam takes care of it from there. It makes sense, and is the best way to serve your loyal customer base. Or is Square trying to cause fans to lose that loyalty (heaven knows FF XIV did some damage already)?

member_10244674
5th Jul 2013, 21:26

I've ran into the same thing as the rest of you here. It's likely routing you to the tera website because that was the last order you unintentionally placed with Digital River. As it turns out there's a few other companies using digital river but you never know it because most companies offer local downloads and only use DR for the transaction process.

For example mine was going to LOTRO, then I bought BF4 and now it goes there. It simply goes to the game that you most recently bought through their service. I think it's sad that I figured this out within a few moments, yet the people in charge at Digital River don't have a clue how this works.

They also have no idea that we're getting emails saying "password_based_on_order" etc. I went through all of this with their customer service department over the phone and they were utterly clueless. They're suppose to be looking into it, but I won't hold my breath.

Rather then forcing all of us loyal fans to go through this nonsense, Square-Enix should just give us all Steam codes. I mean for god sakes they can verify our purchases!

the_randomizer
5th Jul 2013, 21:32
I agree with this, Steam keys should be given to those who were boned by Digital River's crap. It's bad enough some people were able to get the game prematurely (at least they gave refunds), but Steam keys would be nice ;)

member_10022778
6th Jul 2013, 01:03
I really hope they wind up letting us redeem the game on Steam if we previously bought it from their online store. I can't even download the darn installer anymore since it's outside the 30-day window (or 60, I forgot which one it was; either way, I tried downloading a week ago, and I couldn't even though I still had two installs left with my keys), which is a load of crap if I wind up having to wipe my laptop's hard drive again.

Please throw us a bone, Square. We bought the game with its crappy DRM, at least let us play the game without it now that there's such a version available. I really don't want to buy the game again just so I don't have to deal with crappy, restrictive DRM.

Xialoh
6th Jul 2013, 02:32

Nope can still download it again via www.findmyorder.com with my email and last 5 digit of my CC, just did.

Huh. That actually works for me.

Zeke911
6th Jul 2013, 07:43
I think we should be able to get free steam keys even if we have to go as far as to PM square-enix emploees our order codes, Serial Numbers, and Unlock Codes to prove we have bought a SE copy. even thought it soulnds archeic and unsafe, they should have thought about the backlash about not setting up a system to give paying customers (that actually gave more money to them cuz steam gets a cut if you buy it on there) and longtime fans simpler access to the game even after they took our easy and direct download page away.

Zeke911
6th Jul 2013, 07:45
I really hope they wind up letting us redeem the game on Steam if we previously bought it from their online store. I can't even download the darn installer anymore since it's outside the 30-day window (or 60, I forgot which one it was; either way, I tried downloading a week ago, and I couldn't even though I still had two installs left with my keys), which is a load of crap if I wind up having to wipe my laptop's hard drive again.

Please throw us a bone, Square. We bought the game with its crappy DRM, at least let us play the game without it now that there's such a version available. I really don't want to buy the game again just so I don't have to deal with crappy, restrictive DRM.

Couldnt agree more!

WisemanWong-350185
6th Jul 2013, 09:35
Would it be of any help if somebody who didn't actually buy the game off the SquareEnix website were to sign the petition? I ask because the first thing I thought when I saw it on Steam the other day was "they better give everybody who bought that game off the SquareEnix website a Steam key after all the garbage and bs they've had to deal with." And now with their PR saying that it's "not possible" to give Steam keys to those people is just a slap in the face because anybody who has played much any digital games know that's complete horse crap. It's very possible and while SE may have to pay some amount per key they distribute to Valve, they more than owe it to everybody who was loyal enough to buy that game despite knowing what they were getting into (or not knowing in the case that they bought it immediately, which is even worse). But it seems like it was nearly unplayable between what I've read about the download/drm issues and the cloud save file corruption issues, so I definitely want to help if I can even though I refuse to support garbage like that by purchasing it. But being a loyal SE customer myself, having invested a ton of money into Square, Enix and SquareEnix games over the past 20+ years, I certainly feel people's pain on this matter and want to see SquareEnix do the right thing, though it would be highly preferable if people didn't have to constantly jump hurdles just to try and get them to do something they should have done from the beginning. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-undecided.gif

onichikun
6th Jul 2013, 11:10
Agreed. The number of problems I had with getting this game to work from the SE store, not to mention the ridiculous 3-computer DRM, makes this additional issue of steam access unacceptable.

I woulda waited if I knew it was coming to steam. And in the back of my head, I assumed they would provide steam access keys if it was ever released on steam.

Great way to ruin a game with bad corporate decisions/bad technical support. Turning into EA? Maybe SE will win the worst company of the year this year? Bet they want that golden poo award.

/end DRM-driven rant

member_10829078
6th Jul 2013, 11:28
I can't believe an "exclusive" title, was released elsewhere. The original exclusive buyers were only able to download for 30 days, and as a fix they give you 5 extra days to download....really, I'm not one to complain but it really seems like they are saying thanks for your money, buy it again if you don't like it.

the_randomizer
6th Jul 2013, 13:26
I can't believe an "exclusive" title, was released elsewhere. The original exclusive buyers were only able to download for 30 days, and as a fix they give you 5 extra days to download....really, I'm not one to complain but it really seems like they are saying thanks for your money, buy it again if you don't like it.

Yep, I was screwed over as well. This is equivalent to giving the userbase the proverbial middle finger. Talk about being the epitome of asininity. I'll gladly support Steam, but Square Enix, eff that!

ZakMckracken
6th Jul 2013, 23:33

It most certainly is "possible," it's just that Square isn't wanting to do it. They'd rather try to get people to buy the game AGAIN on Steam. It can be done, and has been done with several other games. I recently got Steam keys for Ticket to Ride after its release on Steam, because I'd purchased it on their site last year. I've also gotten Steam keys for The Banner Saga after purchasing their game through Kickstarter. I also will have keys coming for Planetary Annihilation, Dead Linger, etc.

I've already purchased FF VII enough times. I bought the original PSX game. I had the original PC discs (given to me as a birthday present). I bought the digital version on my PS3, then again on PC through SE's store. The 30-day limit on downloads is absolute crap, and only serves to disrespect your paying customers. At least if you give Steam keys, you won't have to worry about creating a work-around for the 30-day limit you (& Digital River) had instituted. Steam takes care of it from there. It makes sense, and is the best way to serve your loyal customer base. Or is Square trying to cause fans to lose that loyalty (heaven knows FF XIV did some damage already)?

member_10829078
7th Jul 2013, 00:41
Thank you for contacting the Square Enix online store.

We can see here that your download has expired nut no worries we were
able to retrieve your download and reset it. It will be active until:
7/11/13 2:46:27 PM CDT. Please make sure to save the download file on a
disc or a flash drive for backup purposes to prevent this inconvenience
from happening in the future.</pre>

</pre>

This is the response I get...how is keeping a physical copy preventing an inconvenience? I thought digital download was pretty convenient.</pre>

</pre>

This in no way makes up for this. Oh, and check the " nut no worries"</pre>

wizzardofizz
7th Jul 2013, 01:03
Has anyone tried "Add a Non-Steam Game to Library?" If I understand, it'll pick it up once it's added to Steam.

BUNNYMOON
7th Jul 2013, 01:45
Has anyone tried "Add a Non-Steam Game to Library?" If I understand, it'll pick it up once it's added to Steam.

What exactly is that suppose to do besides let everybody know that your playing Final Fantasy VII?

Your still stuck with the facebook achievments that nobody on steam will see. You added it as a non steam game, it will not get you steam acheivements, Also your still stuck with the fact that your download expires and theres a limited number of installations, and your still stuck with using digital river.

Haagen-Dazs
7th Jul 2013, 12:38
Adding non-Steam game to Library just creates a shortcut in your library, nothing else. Also it does not mean that if that game comes to Steam that it is added as a Steam game automatically, because it is just a shortcut that points to your non-Steam install.

member_10022778
7th Jul 2013, 18:25

All that does is let you launch the game from Steam and access the in-game Steam overlay (Friends list, web browser, etc.). It doesn't add in the Steam achievements or remove the downright asinine DRM.

ianmlucas
8th Jul 2013, 20:30
As much as I love FFVII, I won't go through with buying another copy on top of every other release I have of it. To do the customers wrong for reasons unspoken doesn't sit well in my eyes. I have purchased so many games released by SE in the past. If nothing comes of this, then future purchases won't be made.

I won't pay and I won't play. This is a garbage tactic as a money grab, so have my garbage complaint as your payment.

RamenNoodles
9th Jul 2013, 10:20
I guess I'm not buying anything digital from the store ever again, thanks Squeenix.

EDIT:

Man this is my first post and its a complaint...kinda lame. Anyway I bet they did that because they know people would end up buying it again on steam...gah i might :/ *tool*

AngeloBRS
9th Jul 2013, 22:25
Signed the petition and I'm also another pissed off fan!

If I knew it would be released on steam I'd wait for sure.

What good is a digital download game with cloud saves that you can only download once?

What good are acheivements if none of your friends, who actually play games on steam, can see them?

What good is an exclusive title if it's released elsewhere?

Well, one thing I know for sure, I'll never buy anything else from SE store.

panzerbicho
10th Jul 2013, 10:05
Yep, I came here to see if everyone else was angry about the Steam release and I see I'm not alone. I haven't bought a non-steam game other than Minecraft for several years and when FF7 was released as an SE store EXCLUSIVE I bit the bullet and hoped for the best... what a disappointing outcome to say the least.

If SE could pull the trigger and release steam keys to those of us who funded this little cash-grab it would go a long way towards repairing their reputation. Though I'm not convinced they understand why gamers value a good digital distribution platform like Steam.

Sign the petition, email SE customer service, generally make some noise and hopefully they'll get the message.

FreedomRedeemer
4th Oct 2013, 05:23
I will never buy another game directly from the Square website.

MickeyT2008
8th Oct 2013, 22:49
I will never buy another game directly from the Square website.

Me neither, it's ridiculous that I should have to crack my copy of a game that I legitimately own every time I want to install it. Mine says that it's been installed too many times - hardly surprising that I've had to reinstall it considering how crap Windows is and how a lot of people like me have gone from Windows 7 to Windows 8 via all the preview (beta) versions. Like a lot of people here it's doubly annoying considering how I've already bought this game several times, on the PS1, the original PC version, the PS3 download version and now this one.

Securerom say I need to contact Square Enix because they need to sort out my activation limit, and Square Enix say it's Securerom's responsibility. This buck passing is pathetic and it means that I'll never buy one of their games ever again

Square Enix - have you ever heard of a thing called customer service? No? I didn't think so.

yorksherpud
23rd Nov 2013, 16:46
The draft Consumer Rights Bill sets out what rights and remedies you would have when you pay for digital content. It clarifies that digital content would have to be:
of satisfactory quality,
fit for purpose, and
meet any description.
If the digital content didn’t meet these quality rights, you would be entitled to a repair or a replacement of the digital content where practical, or failing that (that is, if the repair or replacement would take an unreasonable amount of time or cannot be done without significantly inconveniencing you), you would be entitled to some money back. You would only be entitled to return the faulty digital content for an immediate refund if the digital content was in a physical item (eg it is on a disk or embedded in goods such as a digital camera).

Other digital content rights would allow the trader to update the digital content within the terms of the contract, entitle you to a refund if the trader sold you the digital content without having the right to do so, and clarify that you could claim for limited damages if the trader fails to use reasonable care and skill to prevent the digital content (whether free or paid for) from damaging your device or other digital content.

Maybe we could get a refund through this, I wouldn't consider the game satisfactory, I had constant cloud save issues and now I cant install the game because it's activated on my old HDD and apparently nobody can help me! The description certainly isn't accurate since the game is NOT exclusive to the SE store, so we have atleast 2 valid claims to get a refund if they do no resolve the issue.

Otherwise it'd have to be legal action which goes to show how little Square Enix care about anything but their bank balance.

Neevil
6th Dec 2013, 05:42
Ok. On December 8th of 2012 I bought Final Fantasy VII for my computer. My conformation email is as such:

YOUR ORDER RECEIPT

This order will appear on your bank billing statement as: "Square Enix Limited".

Purchased Product: FINAL FANTASY VII
Net: 15.99 ***
VAT 0.00%: 0.00 ***
Sum: 15.99 ***
Order #: SEE-STORE-37425
Date: 08.12.2012
Billing Address: John ****
4 **** ****
3435 **********
Payment Method: Globalcollect - ****

----------------------------------------------------------------

So I had the game on my HDD for a while but then had a drive malfunction and had to re-download it. This is where my problems start.

I log into my account on the site that I had originally downloaded the game and in my account it says I have the game but when I click the game to try and find a download link; there is none.

Is there a way you can help me by giving me a steam key for the game (which would be awesome) so I don't have to figure out where my game went ever again?

Thank you,
John

StAtiC9
10th Dec 2013, 20:21
I'm in the same boat hear guys. Anyway we can get steam codes for the games we buy from you?