PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: Macro System

Sasuke_
30th Jun 2013, 15:43
Macro?

member_10138643
30th Jun 2013, 15:46
Macros allow you to chain groups of actions together with a single button press.

I haven't really spent much time looking at the ARR macro system and exactly how it works but that's the basic concept.

Morgue101
1st Jul 2013, 02:33
Macro?

More or less what Angryoaf said. It also allows you to do other things like make a button for specific emotes, targetting etc...a good example would be for doing instances. Our tank was marking targets for kill order, 1 and 2. I made two macros to target 1 and auto attack, then a seperate for target 2 and auto attack.

Sasuke_
2nd Jul 2013, 21:53
Ah ok kinda like a short cut for chains alright thanx guys

Chosen1
2nd Jul 2013, 23:15
Would the macro system apply to FATES? Like whenever I try to target an enemy all it does is stir confusement..

Vinure
3rd Jul 2013, 09:19
So this is actually a real concern I have for FFXIV:ARR.

The Macro System is an extremely powerful tool that has the ability to automate anything. Square-Enix has voluntarily added this feature to FFXIV:ARR and I'm not so sure it's a great thing with the current absence of limitations. As it sits now you can Macro: Skill Usage, Healing, Item Usage, Movement, Target Selection, among many other things. I listed those because they are basicly the steps used to automate kill bots.

You can use the macro system to pick a target, face the target, auto move to the target, attack/weapon skill the target, auto move in a direction to come into the radius of other targets, heal after/between targets. This would efficiently create a kill bot character.

This is only half of the troublesome thoughts that come to mind when I see the Macro system. Perhaps you're thinking "well only a specific set of lines are alowed in each macro to stop this" Well, yes, it will stop PS3 users from abusing. PC users have no limitations, they can run 3rd party programs, and lay-over macro systems to automatically use the macro system sets the game provides you.

They can go so far as to automate Gathering classes, Crafting classes, and if they were so inclined (and owned a few copies of the game) could make a auto-dungeon run set of macro's, as there is a macro to /loot chests.

Obvious implications suggest economic instability and will subjugate item acquisition on the surface but who knows how much/little damage it could actually do?

Any thoughts on effects or prevention methods Square-Enix has taken? I see no type of prevention software or in-game features to stall this behavior?

Atma-Weapon
3rd Jul 2013, 09:44
Bots exist in every PC based MMO without the use of a single macro. There's no killing them off completely; granted you can kill off the simple ones that partially utilize macros (which is something WoW has already done and I'm sure SE will emulate this), but you'll never actually be rid of the more complex ones that are privately made or require a subscription to use.

Vinure
3rd Jul 2013, 11:08
I can see where it would seem like it's impossible, given the quantity, but that isn't completely true. It would be hard although not out of the realm of possible (and already existing) monitoring systems they can develop. Any number of things give a bot away; Skill usage over exact intervals, healing/self-item usage at exact percentages, complete replication of action, movement, area priority/dictation, and the more complex ones are actually easier to find with a "Look what's missing" type of system, observing for inadvertent actions.

Don't mistake what I mean by "easier to find" in terms of actual "ease". The systems I'm speaking of looks at a game like a massive math problem. Which is what a video game is at it's core. The whole system measures to see what's missing from the problem and acts accordingly. This of course requires considerable processing power.

The question is will S-E afford the time (and bank roll) to their developers to use, as systems like this already exist, such programming techniques that will give us an environment free of cheating?

Atma-Weapon
3rd Jul 2013, 11:19
I can see where it would seem like it's impossible, given the quantity, but that isn't completely true. It would be hard although not out of the realm of possible (and already existing) monitoring systems they can develop. Any number of things give a bot away; Skill usage over exact intervals, healing/self-item usage at exact percentages, complete replication of action, movement, area priority/dictation, and the more complex ones are actually easier to find with a "Look what's missing" type of system, observing for inadvertent actions.

Any number of things can give a bot away yes, however if you were more intimate with recent bots and third party programs, you'd understand some of them were built to be unpredictable and to use changing parameters. So an equal amount of things can keep a bot very discrete and under the radar. Do a little research.

The question is will S-E afford the time (and bank roll) to their developers to use, as systems like this already exist, such programming techniques that will give us an environment free of cheating?

The quick answer here is: Probably not, since no game is free of cheating.

Regardless, macros are not what is to be feared when it comes to cheating, and the best place to discuss this topic would be on the beta forums.

Vinure
3rd Jul 2013, 14:37
I agree with your quick answer, it's not likely to change, I was just curious on the outlook of others.

I tried to post this on the Beta Forums first. They are locked while the Beta-Testing isn't actually going on.

Morgue101
3rd Jul 2013, 18:26
Would the macro system apply to FATES? Like whenever I try to target an enemy all it does is stir confusement..

You can use macro's to do just about anything as far as actions/movements go. Now will it help...unlikely as the problem with fates is the clutter and the inability to see the targetting circle beneath them. What I used to help with FATES is set up 2 targetting buttons. I have one set for target closest enemy, so in a FATE situation I can run up to the one I want to attack, hit the button and go to town.

The other targetting button I use is the regular, nearest to farthest. Having set up the targest nearest target has helped a lot in FATE situations as well as general gameplay, I found that the nearest to farthest was really unpredictable and not working properly in the second weekend of Phase 3 (thats when I started the beta). Seemed to be working properly the third weekend tho.

Chosen1
3rd Jul 2013, 21:14

You can use macro's to do just about anything as far as actions/movements go. Now will it help...unlikely as the problem with fates is the clutter and the inability to see the targetting circle beneath them. What I used to help with FATES is set up 2 targetting buttons. I have one set for target closest enemy, so in a FATE situation I can run up to the one I want to attack, hit the button and go to town.

The other targetting button I use is the regular, nearest to farthest. Having set up the targest nearest target has helped a lot in FATE situations as well as general gameplay, I found that the nearest to farthest was really unpredictable and not working properly in the second weekend of Phase 3 (thats when I started the beta). Seemed to be working properly the third weekend tho.

How would I configure my settings to set target on the closest enemy? I'm playing it on console not PC

Morgue101
4th Jul 2013, 00:07

How would I configure my settings to set target on the closest enemy? I'm playing it on console not PC

I haven't tried it on console yet...tho I did get a code so I may test it out this weekend. I'm not sure how it's configured, but for pc under the keybindings (I'm not sure how console has their key bindings settings set up) under the targetting tab there's different keys set up. Nearest to Farthest, Farthest to Nearest, Nearest Enemy, etc...I'll take a quick look around and see if I can find the settings for console and get back to you. I would check there first tho...if there is a keybind settings for console that is.

Morgue101
4th Jul 2013, 00:15
Here's a link I found...not sure how relevant it is due to the age of the post.

pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-s... (http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-support/alpha-gamepad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc/final-fantasy-xiv)

For the video that displays the new gamepad controls it says you're able to configure it...I hope you can and I hope it works out for ya! If nearest to farthest is the only setting that works, I'm not sure if there's a way to deselect a target on console. If so you could always deselect a target then hit your target nearest to farthest button and it *should* target the one infront of you...tho it does get chaotic during FATES so I'm not sure if that would be the best solution.

Chosen1
4th Jul 2013, 13:29

I haven't tried it on console yet...tho I did get a code so I may test it out this weekend. I'm not sure how it's configured, but for pc under the keybindings (I'm not sure how console has their key bindings settings set up) under the targetting tab there's different keys set up. Nearest to Farthest, Farthest to Nearest, Nearest Enemy, etc...I'll take a quick look around and see if I can find the settings for console and get back to you. I would check there first tho...if there is a keybind settings for console that is.

I know for pc it seems fairly easy to use. But I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out..

Thanks for the link and info, Hope to see you in Eorzea! I'll be playing in Midgardsormr server :)

Morgue101
5th Jul 2013, 20:01

I know for pc it seems fairly easy to use. But I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out..

Thanks for the link and info, Hope to see you in Eorzea! I'll be playing in Midgardsormr server :)

No problem, I'm currently on Behemoth but for release I'll possibly switch. Not playing with anyone currently anyways and none of my friends got into beta lol

Chosen1
5th Jul 2013, 21:05
As am I, when Beta 4 starts I'm switching servers since alot of people are going Behemoth lol

Morgue101
5th Jul 2013, 21:17
As am I, when Beta 4 starts I'm switching servers since alot of people are going Behemoth lol

Ya, that seems to be the server to go to lol I guess we'll see when open beta time comes!

BlackMateria
7th Jul 2013, 00:12
So this is actually a real concern I have for FFXIV:ARR.

The Macro System is an extremely powerful tool that has the ability to automate anything. Square-Enix has voluntarily added this feature to FFXIV:ARR and I'm not so sure it's a great thing with the current absence of limitations. As it sits now you can Macro: Skill Usage, Healing, Item Usage, Movement, Target Selection, among many other things. I listed those because they are basicly the steps used to automate kill bots.

You can use the macro system to pick a target, face the target, auto move to the target, attack/weapon skill the target, auto move in a direction to come into the radius of other targets, heal after/between targets. This would efficiently create a kill bot character.

This is only half of the troublesome thoughts that come to mind when I see the Macro system. Perhaps you're thinking "well only a specific set of lines are alowed in each macro to stop this" Well, yes, it will stop PS3 users from abusing. PC users have no limitations, they can run 3rd party programs, and lay-over macro systems to automatically use the macro system sets the game provides you.

They can go so far as to automate Gathering classes, Crafting classes, and if they were so inclined (and owned a few copies of the game) could make a auto-dungeon run set of macro's, as there is a macro to /loot chests.

Obvious implications suggest economic instability and will subjugate item acquisition on the surface but who knows how much/little damage it could actually do?

Any thoughts on effects or prevention methods Square-Enix has taken? I see no type of prevention software or in-game features to stall this behavior?

Like previous people have said, botters exist and can figure out how to automate such things without the macro system in place. The Macro System just makes it easily accessable.

This pleases me greatly because I was hoping for combat to have the potential to be more in debth with proper macro usage.

Chosen1
7th Jul 2013, 16:02

Ya, that seems to be the server to go to lol I guess we'll see when open beta time comes!

Lol that is true. When open beta starts you can find me on either Gilgamesh or Diabolos :)

OMG_Noodles
18th Aug 2013, 15:09
hey guys and gals,

Look, I have abit of a problem. I am trying to remove macros because they are in the wrong spot or I don't use them I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove them ( I am using a ps3) and its annoying the hell out of me. like a rash. also is there a automatic lock on a monster? or do you just have to use the D-pad? no offence to the devs its a great game but just a lil bit annoying when your in a fate and your target is going on players when you just want to attack a monster :D anyways any hints or tips would be great,

Cheers,

Hippy_Pickle
27th Aug 2013, 14:43
Hi everyone,

So I had a play around yesterday and managed to create my very first macro which I use for crafting. So I thought I'd start a topic about macros where people can discuss them, share their creations or even request a macro (I'm new to these myself). Hopefully we can get a good list of useful macros for the game. So is anyone else using them? If so please share :)

My crafting macro allows me to do 3 basic touches, 1 master mend, another basic touch, 1 standard touch and then 2 basic synthesis and all this is assigned to my hotbar on a single button press. Bare in mind I have a higher level Goldsmith (now 19) I'm using this with so I have enough CP to enable these commands but you can adjust the macro to what you need or can actually do.

Note: I originally had the wait set to 3 but the server was being a bit laggy with commands and it was messing it up so I adjusted the wait to 4.

/ac "Basic Touch" <me>
/wait 4
/ac "Basic Touch" <me>
/wait 4
/ac "Basic Touch" <me>
/wait 4
/ac "Master's Mend" <me>
/wait 4
/ac "Basic Touch" <me>
/wait 4
/ac "Standard Touch" <me>
/wait 4
/ac "Basic Synthesis" <me>
/wait 4
/ac "Basic Synthesis" <me>

This macro uses the max of 15 lines but is perfect when grinding your crafting skills for exp, especially while watching TV lol

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 09:05
Hey peeps, I know this is me 'technically' bumping this topic back up but since this is actually what I think could be a good discussion that has been buried under a tidal wave of posts that should really be directed at the Lodestone forums, I thought I'd have to do another post to get this back in the real world.

So come on, who's using macros and what for? Are you doing them on the PC or PS3? Mines on the PS3 and was obviously easier to setup with a keyboard. I need to get some ideas on what to try next, any good combat based macros people are using?

MrBoltsAndNuts
28th Aug 2013, 09:18
It would be good to have this one a s a sticky and maybe share all macro commands that can be used to make a macro?

I went searching for a macro that could target the closest enemy and turn on auto attack automaticly. can´t tell you what it is now because i can´t get on the server but i found it usefull.

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 09:21
Great idea, we just need a Mod to sticky it though. I'll see if I can find a list of macro commands and update my original post when I do :)

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 13:32
I've found a good guide to basic macro setup at this website: http://eorzeareborn.com/macro-overview/

So if anyone manages to make some good ones please share them with everyone here :)

MrBoltsAndNuts
28th Aug 2013, 14:14
Low level basic nuking:

Pull with Blizzard. It inflicts heavy so your target will take longer to get to you.
Stick a Thunder for Damage Over Time.
Transpose
Use Fire repeatedly. Your MP will run low pretty fast.
Transpose when it gets down to around 50 or so
Now use Blizzard repeatedly until mp is near full and Transpose cooldown is ready. (3 casts or so)
Reapply Thunder if the enemy still has a lot of health.
Transpose & repeat Fire cycle

Now since I read this on a thaumaturge guide i decided to make this macro.
It basicly casts blizzard-->thunder--transpose. And then all you have to do is do the rest manually.

Thaumaturge Low level nuking Macro

/ac Blizzard <t>
/wait 4
/ac "Thunder II" <t>
/wait 4
/ac Transpose <me>

Now you have to remember that if you have a 2 word spell or like in this case Thunder II you have to use brakets (i think they are called that) to tell that its one word. Thats why only Thunder II has " " on it. Same applies for all your spells that you want in a macro.

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 14:27
That's a great little macro mate, I'm trying to teach the wife about transpose but she's just not getting it lol, I might set up that for her as she rarely uses thunder as well. Don't get me wrong, she's new to all this MMO malarky and is doing pretty well with swapping between umbral fire/ice for MP but misses the point of transpose.

Another handy one would be a macro the posts in party chat that you are going to cast sleep on X target and not to attack, then tag it and then casts the sleep, not sure on the command for tagging is though?

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 14:54
So I think this macro will do what I mentioned, not had chance to try it yet though, this should mark your current target > post in chat that you are going to cast sleep > cast sleep

/mk “Target to Bind 1” <t>
/p "Casting sleep to mob Chain-1 marked, DONT attack!” <t>
/ac "Sleep" <t>

MrBoltsAndNuts
28th Aug 2013, 15:55
Im adding that one to my Macro list, thank you!

ttuskey
28th Aug 2013, 16:00
Perfect - I like the Thaum and Crafting macros - will have to try them out.

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 16:00
Im adding that one to my Macro list, thank you!

Let me know if it works as I'm doing my CNJ > WTM stuff at the min. I'll probably think of some good healing ones when I get to it :D

Passed
29th Aug 2013, 12:54
I started simply with the gladiator defensive cooldowns in a macro. It worked as expected. However, is there a way to make a tooltip appear when you mouse over, as it does with standard skills.

Hippy_Pickle
29th Aug 2013, 12:57
I've not tried any mouse over commands because since I'm on the PS3 it's not really relevant for me. I do have a mouse which I use for navigating menus and the map etc but just don't use it in the same way as a PC player would.

Any PC players using mouse over macros, could you please help out?

Hippy_Pickle
30th Aug 2013, 07:59
So I unlocked the Repose skill with my conjurer last night (why didn't they just call it sleep?!) and I got to test out the tag>msg>sleep macro and it worked pretty good. I modified the text a bit because it did seem like I was spamming the chat box a bit lol.

This will quite simply put the chain-1 mark on your target, post in the chat box "Casting sleep to Chain-1 <mob name>" and then cast sleep. This really worked a treat and can make a big difference when you have several mobs and your party can clearly see it has been put to sleep and know to concentrate on other mobs first :D

/mk “Target to Bind 1” <t>
/p Casting sleep to Chain-1 <t>
/ac "Repose" <t>

Hippy_Pickle
2nd Sep 2013, 13:07
Another good little macro I've setup is definitely a help for PS3 users with no keyboard (as typing with the pad is pants), it's basically a shout to request a raise when you get knocked out. Definitely good for the wife as she has no keyboard whereas I do.

/sh Could I please get a raise at <pos>

This simply posts in the shout box with your request and the <pos> command puts your exact grid reference on the comment too.

You could also follow this up with another simple thanks macro:

/sh Thanks!

These are then easily assigned to your hotbar which saves trying to type with the pad!

Mephiel
12th Sep 2013, 01:13
Does anybody know if it is possible to add Auto translated phrases to macros ? i have been searching but found no way of doing it yet

I'm searching for this as i would like to set up phrases to use during fights when you don't have time to search through the commands
thank you