PDA

View Full Version : Games like ff7

Kimura410
2nd Jul 2013, 20:07
So I am sitting here, racing my wonderful chocobo in FF7, about to get my gold. I still play this game 15 years later. The reason why? Because I can't find anything better. FF8 was good and I play it every once in a while. FF10 is good too, I love the blitzball game. However, they are not disgustingly addictive like FF7 is. FF7 is like a piece of me. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that, like many others, it was my first RPG. But I dont think thats all of the reason. I ended up getting really into high adrenaline games like COD and Halo, currently playing The Last of Us multiplayer in between my attempts at a perfect game in FF7.

I love online games, but for some reason FF7 just dominates them all in my book. MMORPGs arent my thing. I didnt like WoW or Runescape. I guess when it really comes down to it, I ultimately love the awesome single player mode, having a great storyline with the ability to level up everything, limits, materias, and characters. The nonlinear play is a plus too. Having to try different areas or different people to talk to. Being able to go anywhere on the World map, having a huge world with hours upon hours of gameplay and many side quests. Does a game like this exist anymore?

I have also tried Mass Effect, all the metal gears, resident evils, you know, all the big titles. (Although resident evil 2 was awesome as well, but I relate that to the last of us. Thriller kind of game with some replay ability but not a full on engrossing and connection to the story and characters).

The reason I stopped playing RPGs and Final Fantasy is because when FFX-2 came out, I was done. I couldn't stand the girl power theme. FF7 was dark balanced with humor, and at times a little emo, but it was different. X-2 was just way too girly. Years later I tried FFXII at a friends house and it just wasn't the same. Maybe the problem really was when Square merged with Enix, but there are people at this company that worked there in the days of FF7, so I know they have the potential.

FFXV looks pretty good, but I don't like the way the battle system looks. Almost like the Dirge of Cerberus. I love the random battles with ATB meters.

I like The last of us, best game I have played in a while other than the shooters and Fifa, but I havent played a straight up, 50 hour + RPG that I actually enjoyed since FF8. The only game I can think to play that I haven't is Skyrim. I have looked up gameplay for Dark Souls and Lost Odyssey, and they look close to what I am looking for, but I just don't see myself getting sucked in, or have that same feeling that I have about FF7.

You guys have any suggestions? It can be an older game or new

alanman178
2nd Jul 2013, 21:15
"Lost Odyssey" is a very good game IMO. I just wanted to throw that in here.

FF7 is my favorite game, period. It wasn't even my first FF game. FF1(NA version for the NES) was my first way back in 1990. I understand where you're coming from, though. I look at FF7 as a "Great" game. To me, everything after is about "Average" to "Good". I'm talking about the overall content in each individual game. My arguments in the forums for the past year have been about what "isn't" in the games anymore. That's all really. From my perspective, these changes in the series are like the "NFL" going from "Tackle Football" to "Flag Football". I've had too many "WTF" moments since FF10. lol Oh well..

jcmecb
2nd Jul 2013, 21:50
I just wanted to back that lost odyssey is an amazing game

Especially if you a completionist....that game has stuff hidden everwhere

moooka
3rd Jul 2013, 03:03
There are many great JRPGs, you might want to try more games. Maybe not many of them are better than FF7 but they are still very fun and worth playing. I can see why didn't like X-2, but not all the games are like that.

Instead of listing my own favs, I would recommend taking a look at this list which has been compiled by hundreds of gamers:

www.unikgamer.com/tops/top-jp-style-rpgs... (http://www.unikgamer.com/tops/top-jp-style-rpgs-8.html)

vgopal
4th Jul 2013, 06:03
So I am sitting here, racing my wonderful chocobo in FF7, about to get my gold. I still play this game 15 years later. The reason why? Because I can't find anything better. FF8 was good and I play it every once in a while. FF10 is good too, I love the blitzball game. However, they are not disgustingly addictive like FF7 is. FF7 is like a piece of me. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that, like many others, it was my first RPG. But I dont think thats all of the reason. I ended up getting really into high adrenaline games like COD and Halo, currently playing The Last of Us multiplayer in between my attempts at a perfect game in FF7.

I love online games, but for some reason FF7 just dominates them all in my book. MMORPGs arent my thing. I didnt like WoW or Runescape. I guess when it really comes down to it, I ultimately love the awesome single player mode, having a great storyline with the ability to level up everything, limits, materias, and characters. The nonlinear play is a plus too. Having to try different areas or different people to talk to. Being able to go anywhere on the World map, having a huge world with hours upon hours of gameplay and many side quests. Does a game like this exist anymore?

I have also tried Mass Effect, all the metal gears, resident evils, you know, all the big titles. (Although resident evil 2 was awesome as well, but I relate that to the last of us. Thriller kind of game with some replay ability but not a full on engrossing and connection to the story and characters).

The reason I stopped playing RPGs and Final Fantasy is because when FFX-2 came out, I was done. I couldn't stand the girl power theme. FF7 was dark balanced with humor, and at times a little emo, but it was different. X-2 was just way too girly. Years later I tried FFXII at a friends house and it just wasn't the same. Maybe the problem really was when Square merged with Enix, but there are people at this company that worked there in the days of FF7, so I know they have the potential.

FFXV looks pretty good, but I don't like the way the battle system looks. Almost like the Dirge of Cerberus. I love the random battles with ATB meters.

I like The last of us, best game I have played in a while other than the shooters and Fifa, but I havent played a straight up, 50 hour + RPG that I actually enjoyed since FF8. The only game I can think to play that I haven't is Skyrim. I have looked up gameplay for Dark Souls and Lost Odyssey, and they look close to what I am looking for, but I just don't see myself getting sucked in, or have that same feeling that I have about FF7.

You guys have any suggestions? It can be an older game or new

Games Similar to Final Fantasy (http://www.findmesimilar.com/2013/06/games-like-final-fantasy.html) are
Lost Odyssey
Kingdom Hearts
The Last Remnant
Breath of Fire (Series)
Xenogears
Source: www.findmesimilar.com/2013/06/games-like... (http://www.findmesimilar.com/2013/06/games-like-final-fantasy.html)

Kimura410
4th Jul 2013, 14:54
I tried a demo of FFXIII-2 this morning. I was very disappointed. Graphics were awesome and the potential was there. But holy crap did the battle system suck. Ok the battle system could have been wonderful. However, the fact is, I pressed X over and over again every battle I engaged in. Terrible. It was cool that I couldn't fight Atlas until I leveled up, but wow were those battles boring. Auto-battle, Really?? Whats the point in playing, you could just watch someone do it on youtube, because the game plays itself like everyone says. I really tried hard to like it, but the battle system was too boring for me to invest any time in the game.

I may actually give Lost Odyssey and Xenogears a shot. I remember about 10 years ago playing Xeno on a demo disc. I liked it, but I remember not being that into it because I had just played FF7 and Xeno didn't live up to it. Lol. I swear, FF7 spoiled me to no end. The only games that came close were FF8 and Chrono Cross. But damn, no wonder I can't find a game. The new generation consoles are really doing a poor job with RPGs. Mass Effect is good but the outerspace theme is really uninteresting to me. The fantasy games with magic, leveling up, mystical creatures and epic bosses, thats what I want in a game. Skyrim may be a good choice but I have heard such mixed reviews. A lot of people have said it is boring.

Well, in conclusion, I think I am going to download Resident Evil 2 from the PSstore and have fun with that. Finish my quest for a perfect game of FF7. Finish FF8 at some point. I would really like to play FFX but apparently it will not work on my slim PS3 (WTF!!). Guess I will wait until the HD remake comes out. By then I will have a PS4 and be playing FFXV and the online FFXIV. Hopefully these two titles won't disappoint, because if they do, I will probably never pick up a Square Enix game again. Unless of course, they remake FF7. I would spend hundreds of dollars to play it.

alanman178
4th Jul 2013, 20:55
I may actually give Lost Odyssey and Xenogears a shot. I remember about 10 years ago playing Xeno on a demo disc. I liked it, but I remember not being that into it because I had just played FF7 and Xeno didn't live up to it. Lol. I swear, FF7 spoiled me to no end.

I did the exact same thing you did. lol I still haven't finished Xenogears. I didn't realize just how much better FF7 was until I threw in some other games after my playthrough. Also, you should definitely try Lost Odyssey. Personally, I enjoyed that game almost as much as I enjoyed FF7. The atmosphere is amazing IMO. The game has a great soundtrack, too. The music really brings out the goosebumps. lol The tracks fit each scenario perfectly. Reading all of these posts about this game is making me want to play through it again.

Opetyr
5th Jul 2013, 06:23
I enjoyed Xenogears so much. Still FF7 is my favorite but for me a close second was Xenogears. Wish they kept making more of those types of games.

Kimura410
5th Jul 2013, 12:29
I ended up downloading Chrono Cross off PSstore last night even though I have already played it lol. I never ended up getting all the endings or characters or side quests so it should be fun. I still have FF7 and FF8 to keep me busy anyways, just looking for something new ya know! But I guess if I never try new games then I will never know. I need to get outside of my Final Fantasy bubble lol. Definitely going to give Lost Odyssey and Xenogears a shot. No ni kuni and persona are I heard were very good but I just can't relate to that anime stuff, not my style. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions!